PDA

View Full Version : Fletcher Flyer Century in Asheville?

ASammy1
10-10-2008, 03:33 AM
Hi everyone! Has anyone ever done Fletcher Flyer? Just curious... I signed up with Team in Training last night and was wondering if there is anything I should know in advance. This will be my first century.

Thanks,

Andrea

tulip
10-10-2008, 04:50 AM
Hill...no, Mountains. Not too many of those in Virginia Beach. A month before a weeklong bike tour in Vermont last year, I knew I had to get some mountain miles in. I rode Skyline Drive from Front Royal to Big Meadows and back in two days, and I think that really helped, at least psychologically if not physically. So maybe you could work in some real hills a few times before you get to Asheville.

ASammy1
10-10-2008, 05:54 AM
I was talking to the coach last night at the TNT meeting and he said the course was more like rolling hills and that since it's windy here in VB that will help w/ the hill training. Other than that, it's flat as a pancake here.

That's a really good idea about skyline dr though! I love it up there-gorgeous.

Gowest
10-13-2008, 07:36 AM
I have done the Fletcher Flyer several years - it was my first century - and is an awesome ride as a first century - well supported - well marked and as others have said FLAT - some rolling "hills" - nothing but what we call small rollers around here. I routinely ride on parts of it for training. It is the most tame century I have ever ridden.

It can be hot or cool - although wind is rarely a problem around here. It is a large ride with bunched starts - starts in three waves depending on your average speed you are intending to ride. I would make sure you are comfortable riding in a group and in a paceline - as the ride is very bunched up at the start.

Hope that helps.

debi

ASammy1
10-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Great info Debi! Thanks for your thoughts.