PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Spin Shoe Brands

Miranda
10-09-2008, 07:05 AM
We have a good thread going about using spin shoes in class, vs the toe straps, but what's the ops on brands?

Right now, I'm just using my Diadora mtb shoes in spin class that I use for the trail with a spd cleat. Long story short, I'm thinking about switching up my shoes and pedal systems for outside. Trying decide if I want different spin shoes in the mix.

I saw that Sidi makes a spin shoe called the Vigo (under winter training tab from the Sidi home page). I have an E question out to a website that carries them on the sole material, and sizing specifics (info not found on Sidi website).

Just wondering what brands you ladies prefer for indoors? Thanks! :)

Zeek
10-09-2008, 07:29 AM
Indoor: Nike

Outdoor: Sidi.

greycoral
10-09-2008, 09:09 AM
I don't know that Nike makes indoor shoes anymore, I just tried to search for them, and couldn't find anything. As for me, I'm still searching for a good pair for spin class. I found a pair of diadora road shoes that would be perfect (found em used for real cheap), but I'm having issues with one of the cleat holes, the cleat keeps coming out when I unclip. No good.

Miranda
10-09-2008, 05:31 PM
I don't know that Nike makes indoor shoes anymore, I just tried to search for them, and couldn't find anything. As for me, I'm still searching for a good pair for spin class. I found a pair of diadora road shoes that would be perfect (found em used for real cheap), but I'm having issues with one of the cleat holes, the cleat keeps coming out when I unclip. No good.

I have never tried on a pair of Nike, I think one of our stores carries them, but in general I think they run narrow. Like for tennis shoes too. That is one of my issues lately with the feet.

I love my road Sidi Zetas, but I think the womens fit is too narrow at the ball. My foot is like a flying V with a high arch. I get numb, weird, disfigured, extremely painful cramping now with both my Sidi Zetas, and my Diadora mtb shoes (trail, or inside at spin class).

I'm trying some diff Sidi in mens (run wider), and have ordered some Superfeet insoles to see if that will help. The other thing is the small cleat of spd, and the lack of stiffness in the mtb shoe, vs a full carbon road sole.

For the Sidi Vigo, at $120, I can only imagine they are the cheapest non-stiff sole. Since they don't specify "womens" either, I assume they are mens width, and not the narrower fit like my womens Zetas. I don't know what my Diadoras are. I do know that when I used the same spd cleat/pedal on my road bike, and upgraded to the stiffer Zeta, my pain improved (less flex I assume).

I have two pairs of shoes (well, the Keen commuters don't count, they are for short play), for three activities (road, mtb, and spin class), and one cleat system now... spd. I'm going to switch up to Look Keos (or Ultergras) on my road bike for a wide platform, and eggbeaters on my mtb (just because I loved the 4-sided entry)... so this leaves me with no spd shoes for spin class. What to do... keep part of my trash shoes for spin, and make it work... or new shoes for spin.

I think I just need the shoe fairy to come:o. But... I can't see buying a new spin shoe that is only going to end up being the same quality, and potential foot pain issue, as what I have now. That's why I'm looking for some ops on brands...

Miranda
10-09-2008, 05:38 PM

I don't do well with tools and confidence, so I let the shop switch my stuff up (or I could potentially just switch cleats for class, etc.), but I thought they could replace the plate in the shoe to fix the cleat? When my Zetas were brand spaking new the tech torqed the screw too tight and broke part of the cleat:eek:. It still works... but I think it could be replaced. :confused: You might go into the shop and check it out. Or, maybe try geeking it out on here, or google, for replacement plates. I'm not a tech queen... but seems like I've seen the part before. FWIW....

gleeclub
10-09-2008, 06:26 PM
i use the sidi's vigo for indoor spinning.

it's a fine shoe for indoor spinning.

i use mountain shoes, cannondale by diadora for outdoor road cycling.

the cannondales dont work well for me indoor and the sidi dont work well for me on long distance rides outdoor

greycoral
10-09-2008, 10:37 PM
I don't do well with tools and confidence, so I let the shop switch my stuff up (or I could potentially just switch cleats for class, etc.), but I thought they could replace the plate in the shoe to fix the cleat? When my Zetas were brand spaking new the tech torqed the screw too tight and broke part of the cleat:eek:. It still works... but I think it could be replaced. :confused: You might go into the shop and check it out. Or, maybe try geeking it out on here, or google, for replacement plates. I'm not a tech queen... but seems like I've seen the part before. FWIW....

My Shimano mtb shoes have a removable cleat plate, but the diadora's don't (necessarily). I actually cut through the fabric to remove the plate to see if my shimano ones fit (they don't, the shimano plate is too wide and doesn't fit in the niche). The fabric folds back over it just fine, I have thin insoles that I put in them so it doesn't rub my foot. I tried some longer screws, and it seemed to hold better, but i can feel them slightly without the insoles. If all else fails, i'm only out $10 (for the used shoes), but i'll have to keep looking for something else. I'm not ready to shell out $100 for spin shoes, i'll go back to wearing my mtb ones!

Miranda
10-10-2008, 01:43 AM
My Shimano mtb shoes have a removable cleat plate, but the diadora's don't (necessarily). I actually cut through the fabric to remove the plate to see if my shimano ones fit (they don't, the shimano plate is too wide and doesn't fit in the niche). The fabric folds back over it just fine, I have thin insoles that I put in them so it doesn't rub my foot. I tried some longer screws, and it seemed to hold better, but i can feel them slightly without the insoles. If all else fails, i'm only out $10 (for the used shoes), but i'll have to keep looking for something else. I'm not ready to shell out $100 for spin shoes, i'll go back to wearing my mtb ones!

$10 for the used shoes... wow, that's killer! I know, as I was checking out fitting the Superfeet that just came into stuff, the Diadoras are glued... but not tight. I think Superfeet makes some type of insole that can fit over the current insert if you cut it more. That's good to know, because that shoe has no arch support what so ever. I think that's part of my issue. I've been lazy lately, but normally I'm at the gym a lot regardless of what I'm doing outside. I'm certified to teach too, but just have never started yet. So for me, it's enough spinning stuff to justify the shoe. It's funny... when I wear the mtb shoe out on the trail and come back in with sticker weeds I forgot in the velcro at spin class, some of those proper ladies raise an eyebrow at my mtb remains. I think it makes the mtb shoe happy though:D.

Miranda
10-10-2008, 01:47 AM
i use the sidi's vigo for indoor spinning.

it's a fine shoe for indoor spinning.

i use mountain shoes, cannondale by diadora for outdoor road cycling.

the cannondales dont work well for me indoor and the sidi dont work well for me on long distance rides outdoor

Thx for the feedback on the Vigos. I like that they just have the two straps to deal with by the looks of it. I HATE tieing shoes in general (well, I'd be barefoot and sockless most all the time if practical) and my mtb shoes have ties and two velcro straps. Intended to give good security I think for the trail. But for inside, that much security is overkill, IMHO.

Zeek
10-11-2008, 08:23 AM
I don't know that Nike makes indoor shoes anymore, I just tried to search for them, and couldn't find anything.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/mtb-apparel-and-protection/shoes/nike/kato-iii-strap/PRD_366055_144crx.aspx

greycoral
10-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Yeah, I found a couple of pairs for sale, but they were limited sizes, and their main online store (Nike), doesn't have a cycling section anymore. If you search for nike cycling, they do have a site, but you click the online store link, and there's nothing in the store, not even cycling clothes. I live in Portland, one of Nike's headquarters (I think it's their design or corporate center), and still can't find their stuff anywhere, even in the Nike stores.

Zeek
10-11-2008, 08:37 AM
Wow. I wasn't aware of that. The pair I have are about 6 years old. They've lasted that long and are still going strong. Guess I was lucky to have bought them when I did.

greycoral
10-11-2008, 08:57 AM
When I found out that Nike had sold them, I was so excited and went on a city wide search, sure that I would find them dirt cheap anywhere I went lol So much for that idea! Same with Reebok, I have family who works for them in Boston, and they stopped making them too.

fidlfreek
11-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Hey heads up ladies:

A lady on ebay is selling Vigos in a bunch of sizes.

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/susie2345

They are BIN @ $60.00. Live search is running a deal where if you
1) go to live.com and set up a free account.
2) then use live.com to search for "Vigo Sidi Cycling Shoes" and click on a ebay link, find you shoes.
3) BIN (Buy It Now) using PayPal you can get 25% cashback.

Which means you get a new pair of Vigos for $52.20 (includes shipping!) and don't have to pay sales tax unless you live in NJ where the ebay seller is. Sweet huh!

Irulan
11-27-2008, 07:12 AM
how is "spin shoe" different from a regular bike shoe with clips on it? Seriously. I don't get it, never seen one and I just use my old race mtb shoes for spinning.

Miranda
11-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Hey Irulan :)...

No, the "spin shoe" is really not a special type of shoe. I would say though there are some special things I would like the shoe to have, or do not need the shoe to have, versus a mtb shoe for outside trail use, or distance road riding...

Part of my ploy personally is that I was mixing up my outside pedal systems. Currently all spd mtb. My final plan is to have Look Keos on the road bike, eggbeaters on the mtb, and the spin bikes *mainly* use spd (very few have older style Look Delta pedals IF you are lucky enough to get your bike first).

With being certified to teach, I'm at the gym enough that having a dedicated pair of class shoes is worth not dealing with the cleat switch hassle, placement hassle of how things fit my outside bikes etc.

Using just my one pair of mtb shoe now isn't the best with doing more trail riding...
1) I come in wearing trail briars and dirt that indoor folks don't like (regardless of trying to clean up afterwards outside)
2) having ties and straps both for security inside is a waste of my energy to hook up because my feet are not working that hard
3) NOT having more strap security outside has proven hazardous in crashing
4) I used my mtb shoes w/my road bike when I only owned one pair... yikes, major numbness with the flexible mtb sole
5) I'd pay more $ for a rugged higher quality material on a trail shoe vs a spin shoe it's not needed... example: Specialized Rita's have a pretty stiff sole, but the upper fuzzy fabric would be trash in one ride, and not enough protection for my feet from rocks etc. (still nursing toe nail bed injuries for the next 6mos from my current pair softer Diadoras)... so a pretty good mtb spin shoe if they had fit me *drats*
6) thought about using cheap road shoes inside, but some walking during class is required for teaching, the recessed mtb cleat doesn't tear up the floor etc.

So I guess IMO a "spin shoe" just needs to be a less rugged mtb shoe. It could get away with being more mesh/vented etc. for the inside heat. Couple straps. Medium grade stiff sole, to low end (enough sole for an hour). Takes spd cleats. Umm, that's about it.

Oh, and actually fit my feet right. I've figured out all my shoes are too tight for my square toe box foot shape. Thus part of my cause of my neuroma, bleah. The Sidi Vigos were a nice shoe when I ordered them. The podiatrist put the whammy on Sidis for my neuroma... too pointed toes. So, I'm still shoe shopping.

Irulan
11-28-2008, 06:46 AM
I can definitely see having a dedicated pair of shoes if you mix up pedal systems.

Everything I do is SPD so it's a non issue for me.;)

Thanks for explaining- I was having visions of indoor spinner folks running out to buy "special indoor" spinning shoes.

greycoral
11-28-2008, 08:31 AM
The shoes I've seen advertised as "spin shoes" look more like tennis shoes, but have cleats on the bottom. They're usually mesh or well ventilated since it's hot inside. Not worth the money, in my opinion, they're still around $80 or so. Find a pair that is well ventilated that you can use both inside and outside the gym, that's what I did.

TE's site even has a couple models: http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodLK_IO3W.html and http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodSN_WF21.html

Miranda
12-05-2008, 04:48 PM
http://www.backcountry.com/store/SID0031/Sidi-Vigo-Bike-Spin-Shoe-Womens.html

OK, I don't know if the above link will work or not. This product is not on the main Sidi website to the date of this post. I found this on Backcountry. The Vigo is the indoor shoe deemed by Sidi. As we've discussed in this thread. This link is the new 2009 shoe I assume. White... for the trendy diva... and hold onto your pedal pups.... women's specific!

Well, I can't wear it regardless. Whaaaaa :(...

But just thought I would add it in for those of you that can.