PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm..where do i put me bell?

crazycanuck
10-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Ok..I have two wonderful funky looking bells (thanks Sundial for the heads up them & tater for sending them :)) but I have a small issue.

They don't fit on my handlebars as there's no room..Not only that,the bell attachment is too small.

Any logical suggestions kids? I'd put it on the left side of my helmet in one of the air vents but i'd look like a dork. We tried just placing it on the handlebar with a cable tie but it looks really really stupid & it limits where i can place my hands.

I think i'll just have to yell " BIIIIIIKKKEE" a wee bit louder round some of the crappy blind corners on the bike paths..

lph
10-08-2008, 12:12 AM
well that sure would be a new one if I saw someone ringing away at a bell attached to her HEAD :D

If the bell attachment is too small (very strange! do you have really fat bars or tubes?) you'll have to use a cable tie anyway. How about the stem or the top tube? Leaves you space on the handlebars for your hands.

Mr. Bloom
10-08-2008, 01:10 AM
Can you stretch out the attachment and then use either a longer screw or cable tie to secure it?

If you put it on your helmet, you must plant it squarely on the top and post a picture:p

wolfak
10-08-2008, 02:46 AM
Swing grip or something like it? I had to get one to put a bell on my road bike - only for those times when I'm on a trail, my voice just doesn't carry, or in the city for stickin' it to those cars. :D

crazycanuck
10-08-2008, 04:00 AM
I don't have any room at the top of my helmet as that's where my helmet light holder is placed.

I shall keep pondering this idea...I only need a bell on my bike twice a week...

lph
10-08-2008, 04:06 AM
On your forehead. So you can slap your forehead and instead of going "duh!" you go "ding!" :D

Or even better, on the back of your riding partners helmet, so you get to slap him upside the head every now and then :D

ok, maybe getting a bit carried away here...

crazycanuck
10-08-2008, 04:11 AM
Actually Lph..Ian suggested i put it on my helmet for the most embarassing reason. The next time I fall on my head, i'll do even more damage than last oct...:rolleyes: and then get to purchase an even nicer helmet :rolleyes: :o *snort*..

Geez nice helmets are expensive!!!

*ahem* tee hee..ian slaps my behind when we cycle together some days.. The bell would cause an accident..

Back to regular programming.

BleeckerSt_Girl
10-08-2008, 04:29 AM
I used to put my bell on the vertical section of my stem.

tulip
10-08-2008, 04:40 AM
show us a picture of your cockpit and we'll see what we come up with. I have my bell on my bars, but my computer is on my stem.

7rider
10-08-2008, 05:07 AM
You could put one of those Minoura Space Grip (http://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikeparts/item/01-109974/handlebar-accessories/Minoura%2D%2DSpace%2DGrip%2C%2DSmall%2C%2DHandle%2DBar%2C%2DExpansion&category=handlebar-accessories) gizmos on your handlebars. Maybe with a little re-arranging of the stuff on the handlebars, you can get the bell somewhere where it works for you.
On my commuter, I mounted a bell, upside down, to the bitter end of my bar ends. It works great for me.

PscyclePath
10-08-2008, 05:38 AM
Glad to know I'm not the only one competing for the title of "Captain Dashboard"...

http://www.yehudamoon.com/images/strips/2008-04-17.gif

salsabike
10-08-2008, 06:18 AM
Love Capt. D. You are not alone.

CC, here's what we use: http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=13291&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Show%20All%20Products

sundial
10-08-2008, 09:47 AM
CC, I bought a bell adapter for mine. It's available most anywhere and it's a plastic gizmo that you can mount your bell (or anything) to it and wraps around any size handlebar.

sundial
10-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Here's (http://www.glorycycles.com/crnobcomo.html) a link to the Cronometro Nob that I use.

crazycanuck
10-08-2008, 04:09 PM
I'll download some photos of my bike later on & perhaps more thoughts will come about.

THe items you've posted links to are great but i'll have to see if i can get them in Australia...

THanks!!

C

Trek420
10-09-2008, 05:29 AM
I used to put my bell on the vertical section of my stem.

Hmmmm, both of mine are there. On the commutermobile and the mixte

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=19096

TrekTheKaty
10-09-2008, 09:29 AM
I've been considering a bell to my road bike for all the above reasons, and--it's the only thing the geese at our park respond to! I guess they've gotten used to humans, but moved for my bell. When I hopped on my trusty hybrid the other day, I realized it was mounted to the shifter/brake brace somehow. I'll take a pic when I get home.

kfergos
10-09-2008, 11:04 AM
How big is your top tube? Could you mount it near the handlebars there? I put a compass there for a while, because I ran out of room on the handlebars. Worked pretty well.

spokewench
10-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Ok..I have two wonderful funky looking bells (thanks Sundial for the heads up them & tater for sending them :)) but I have a small issue.

They don't fit on my handlebars as there's no room..Not only that,the bell attachment is too small.

Any logical suggestions kids? I'd put it on the left side of my helmet in one of the air vents but i'd look like a dork. We tried just placing it on the handlebar with a cable tie but it looks really really stupid & it limits where i can place my hands.

I think i'll just have to yell " BIIIIIIKKKEE" a wee bit louder round some of the crappy blind corners on the bike paths..

What kind of handlebars are we talking about? Road, Mountain?

Usually, near the stem on your handlebars is the most utilized place for bells. Does the attachment spread out; usually attachments of this sort look real small but they have spread out a bit with some help from a screw driver?

crazycanuck
10-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Here's a quick pic of my bars

Back later