PDA

View Full Version : Marketing women's Cycling Products

Bluetree
10-06-2008, 11:36 AM
I hate to come across as a gadfly, but I'm looking for a more constructive way to "complain" about women's cycling products and offer suggestions/request for what I would like to see. I've written/talked to many, many manufacturers, LBS owners, distributers, etc. and few have offered a reply beyond, "Sorry kid, that's just the way it is."

I have often felt that I speak through my pocketbook, but when the items I am searching for are not available or very rare, I cannot even do that. Here's just a few sample items that I have looked for in the past year:

• 165 or 167.5 carbon cranks (SRAM finally started making them)

• Women's bib knickers (only $280 Assos so far)

• Bib shorts or tights in anything other than basic black

• Sidi Ergos in smaller sizes (they start at 40)

• Women's full zip jerseys... with better designs

• FSA carbon bars with internal cabling, smaller than 40

• Winter clothing in BRIGHTER, flashier colors with more reflective pieces

• Safety-minded gear that not baggy and dowdy-looking.

• Men's accessories in XS (not just Small or Medium) so women can wear them, too.

My LBSs kinda see me as a dream customer – I'm not afraid to spend money as long as it is quality stuff. But I often feel like the bike industry in general **cough*campagnolo*** doesn't want my money. Is there a better method to get my wants known, or is it a sad truth that the industry doesn't give a rat's behind about such a small marketing niche?

:(

/rant

SouthernBelle
10-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Don't have any suggestions as to your questions, but you can find most of those clothing items at velowear.com

Reasonably priced too.

OakLeaf
10-06-2008, 03:43 PM
I don't know about 167.5, but the first 165 mm cranks I ever had (in 1987) were Campy... Record, I believe.

I had no trouble getting a 165 Shimano 105 crankset to swap out for the 170 that came on my complete bike. Lots of places seem to have them available in Dura-Ace and Ultegra too.

I think the dearth of hi-viz clothing is not limited to women's sizes. Most people just don't like to wear the stuff.

Can't speak to the rest of the stuff, but there's no harm in contacting the manufacturers/retailers and making sure they know what you're looking for. I know that motorcycling boots are very hard to get in the smaller sizes (even for my large-ish feet), and what's sold as "women's" boots tends to be lacking in safety features, so I feel your pain as far as shoes. What really gets me going is that they make them, and they sell them in Europe, they just don't import them to the USA.

tulip
10-06-2008, 04:19 PM
[snip] you can find most of those clothing items at velowear.com

www.teamestrogen.com, too:)

Cataboo
10-06-2008, 04:28 PM
I have some similar problems as you - but given how out of shape I am, I'm happy to stick to the basic black bibs and or tights. I tend to be on a budget, so I'm always trying to find the best deal in a size that fits me.

I've had the same problem with finding 165 cranks as well... Nashbar had a great deal on the 9 speed ultegras a while ago (they may very well still).

And regarding shoes - I've size 6 feet, and typically I always find great deals on shoes in my size... in everything but cycling shoes.

You can get a lot of things via ebay.

SadieKate
10-06-2008, 05:00 PM
I can remember when trying to find anything of any quality that was small enough was a miracle. Now, you want carbon cranks, internal routing, and carbon soles?

Bwahahahahahaha!

Sorry, not laughing at you, but when I remember the olden days (when I slogged through 6 feet of snow just to get to school) . . . . . :p

SadieKate
10-06-2008, 05:01 PM
BTW, some of the FSA carbon bars are flared at the drops so you may want a size larger any way. I usually ride a 40 c-t-c bar but bought 42 from FSA because they measured 40 c-t-c at the hoods where I ride 90% of the time.

7rider
10-07-2008, 03:01 AM

Yeah...I guess that would be nice.

TE has a few. Do a search on "bib". PI (if ya'll are still buyin' them! ;)), Louis Garneau, and Exte Ondo leap out. Hincapie tights are trimmed in a contrast color (fuschia, in this case...nice bib tights - I have a pair - but a bit on the short side, so if you are on the shorter side, they should do nicely.

Competitive Cyclist has them on sale (men's anyhow) down to 39.
But, how about women's Sidis in LARGER sizes??
Those of us with water skis for feet (size 11, anyone?) are unable to experience the fit that folks rave about with these things...unless we go to mens'. And I've done enough men's bike shoes over the years, that if I'm going to drop such a serious hunk of change on a pair of shoes...well, can't I at least get them in women's??????

And the full-zip jerseys are coming. Giordana, Descente, Exte Ondo, even Terry. I think full-zips are directly related to the amount of bib shorts out there. More bibs = more full zips. :D

I guess it's all coming. It just takes voices and companies like TE to get the purchasing power to show they have a market for the items.

Eden
10-07-2008, 06:52 AM
Competitive Cyclist has them on sale (men's anyhow) down to 39.
But, how about women's Sidis in LARGER sizes??

I'm a 37 in a Sidi :( (I think Bluetree is as well.... or smaller) - which must mean they run pretty small. I can rarely wear a size 6.5 regular shoe. I'd really be out of luck if they ran true, looking for 35 or 35.5s..... so no carbon Sidis for me. I'll have to go with Specialized if I want to upgrade my shoes.

I do have a pair of the winter Sidis, which only go down to 39 - extra insoles and thick wool socks make them manageable.

Brandy
10-07-2008, 10:08 AM
Totally agree with you on the full zips. I can't stand jerseys that don't have them and I don't mind paying more for the full zipper. When I climb, I overheat easily and unzipping all the way is the only way to go.

Cataboo
10-07-2008, 11:27 AM
My marin road bike came with FSA carbon cranks in 165.

Bluetree
10-07-2008, 11:50 AM
I don't know what you have on your bike, but on FSA's aftermarket products, only their SLK and Team Issue cranks are carbon, and the smallest size is 170.
Their Gossamer, Omega and Energy cranksets go down to 165, but they are forged AL.

Campagnolo's Record and Super Record cranks only go down to 170 as well. As far as I know the Dura-Ace FC-7800-C also goes down to 170, but even I am not crazy enough to pay $1400 for a crankset.

SRAM Red came out with their 165 (last year I think, please correct me if I'm wrong) and I was able to order their new 2009 which also came in a 167.5 with the BB30. Can't wait. Woot!

Cataboo
10-07-2008, 12:19 PM
I forgot - my marin was a 9 speed triple. came with FSA carbon pro team triple in 165. When I upgraded it to 10 speed, I just changed the outer chain ring to a 10 speed chain ring so I could keep using the carbon cranks.

shootingstar
10-07-2008, 05:42 PM
I)

• Men's accessories in XS (not just Small or Medium) so women can wear them, too.[/INDENT]

My LBSs kinda see me as a dream customer – I'm not afraid to spend money as long as it is quality stuff.

Safety-minded gear that is not baggy and dowdy-looking.. at least over the years, they are getting better with full bodied vests with reflective colours (I'm not talking about the mesh, which still looks dowdy..).

Susan Otcenas
10-08-2008, 05:19 PM
I hate to come across as a gadfly, but I'm looking for a more constructive way to "complain" about women's cycling products and offer suggestions/request for what I would like to see. I've written/talked to many, many manufacturers, LBS owners, distributers, etc. and few have offered a reply beyond, "Sorry kid, that's just the way it is."

Bluetree -

I, for one, always appreciate hearing what people want to see more of. And believe me, we DO pass that info on. Sometimes I talk until I'm blue in the face, but it does produce results. For example. for S'09 Pearl Izumi is making almost every single thing they make in XS AND XXL, as a direct result of both customer requests we shared AND data we provided to them on sales of those sizes from other vendors. It's a huge leap forward for them, and I fully expect we'll see the sale of Pearl increase as a direct result.

Regrettably, I don't have a suggestion for you here. But don't lose hope. I mention this one from time to time to a few of our better vendors, and even though we've not been successful yet, I'm keeping positive. It used to be you couldn't get women's bibtights either, and now we have several options available on TE. So, don't give up.

You'll see some more of this in S'09. Off the top of my head, I can think of options from Pearl, Etxe Ondo & Giordana that will include more color.

No women's Ergos. But, on the bright side, For S'09 (which we've already received) Sidi has added a carbon sole to the Women's Genius 5 Pro Carbon http://teamestrogen.com/prodSD_1250776.html This shoe is replacing the nylon-soled women's Genius 5 (which we have on sale now, in limited sizes remaining)

Our new website has opened up all sorts of new capabilities for us. One of those is extremely detailed filtering capability. Right now, I have staff going through every single product we have and categorizing attributes. Once they're done, those attributes will be added to the filtering navigation on the left of the page. One of the attributes you'll be able to filter on is zipper length. So, if you only want to see full zip jerseys in size XS, you will be able to filter that way.

Can't help you there... :)

Working on this too.

Give me some more examples about what you're talking about here.

• Men's accessories in XS (not just Small or Medium) so women can wear them, too.[/INDENT]

Yup, always asking for this one too. Try Louis Garneau, though, if you haven't already. Their smalls are really small.

I don't know if this helps or not, but please know that your complaints (I prefer to think of is as constructive criticism) are not falling on deaf ears at TE.

Susan

Jiffer
10-08-2008, 06:51 PM
I have a women's cycling product problem which is a little different than most. I have extremely narrow feet, which is common, but I also have very long feet (size 10). I couldn't find a shoe that fit my narrow feet snugly, as a cycling shoe should. My first pair were way too wide. I finally narrowed down my search to Sidi's, but called LBS's all over the place and searched all over the internet for a women's 10 (or whatever the equivalent is in cm's) ... in a narrow. After much time and frustration, I finally found out that they do not MAKE a women's shoe in that length. My next best option, therefore, was to buy the men's narrow, which I did. And they are "mostly" just right, probably the closest I'll ever get without going custom.

maillotpois
10-08-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm with Jiffer.

I want a WOMEN's cycling shoe in a size 11. No one makes them. No one. Would you ladies wear men's loafers? Men's athletic shoes? Womens' feet, regardless of size, are shaped differently than mens'. Smaller in the heel, etc. So men's shoes, while "ok" in length, don't actually "FIT".

There is nothing available in my size in womens' cycling shoes. Period.

:(

Bluetree
10-09-2008, 08:58 AM
Hi Susan,

Again, you astonish me with your quick and comprehensive responses to your customers' needs. Thank you! On a few of your points:

No women's Ergos. But, on the bright side, For S'09 (which we've already received) Sidi has added a carbon sole to the Women's Genius 5 Pro Carbon http://teamestrogen.com/prodSD_1250776.html This shoe is replacing the nylon-soled women's Genius 5 (which we have on sale now, in limited sizes remaining)

What amazes me is that Sidi created the Women's Genius 6.6 and they started the sizing at 38. That is the equivalent of a 7-7.5 in standard shoe sizing. However, walk into any department store and you will see women's sizes start at 6.0 (with smaller selections at 5.5). And as anyone with smaller feet will attest to, there are just as many women fighting for the 6.5s as there are for the 8.5's at Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale!

And I know your hands are tied to whatever the manufacturer/distributer sends you, but come on.... there's no way I would pay $300-$500 for a pair of shoes with a pink sheen or with blue flowers.

If such patterns are desirable... why not just make the shoes plain and offer lycra shoe covers with different colors/designs on them? Lycra covers are cheap, easily washable and are infinitely more matchable!

Give me some more examples about what you're talking about here.

Ok, the standard "safety" color seems to the the same screaming yellow windvest/jacket by PI that everyone on the planet wears. It's useful and practical... but there are a lot of riders who wouldn't be caught dead riding their $6000 rigs with a flapping yellow jacket. (I go hill climbing at 4am sometimes, so I see them out there)

Why not offer accessories that are as stylish as their are functional? Keep making multi-paneled, multi-colored gloves, but add reflectors or reflective piping/fabric to the outside of the pinky finger, which will make them noticeable to a car coming up from behind you, as you are signalling.

Better yet, make matching arm warmers with the same reflectors in a bold racing stripe on the back of the arm. I have these fleecy arm warmers by Rapha:
http://www.rapha.cc/images/products/arm_primary_temp.jpg

Why can't the white portion be reflective? If multi-paneling is too expensive, why can't reflective ink be printed on to standard colored ones? I've seen little "dots" of the stuff on many jerseys... why not accessories, too? Altura has one, but I can see such a design added to the back side in bolder stripes, maybe even something tribal and cool looking.

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/images/products/large/12083.jpg

As for jerseys, it someone can make them with multi-panels, why can't some of the the panels be made for safety-purposes as well as looking good? I love EO's Diba jersey (I own two) but when I look at my black/white one, I often ponder what it would be like if the white inserts were somehow made reflective.. it appears white in the daytime but reflects the light of oncoming cars at night. Same with the Iral knickers.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3149/2927340744_492ec5d5ed_m.jpg

Here's another one:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31wBE%2B4iHlL._SL500_AA265_.jpg
Great idea. I would feel well seen in this.
But a.) it's fugly and b.) I won't wear it because it will flap like a helicopter when I ride. But I do not see how this idea cannot be modified to please the discriminating cyclist.

I can see an unexplored wilderness when it comes to other items as well: from reflective helmets with space for removeable lights/LEDs (Fizik already started it with their saddle) to reflective patches that can be velcro'd/snapped on when needed.

I guess my point is... why don't manufacturers think outside the box a bit and stop thinking that the only way to promote safety if with yellow windjackets that are as uncomfortable as they are uninspired? Safety, performance and looks do not need to be mutually exclusive.

/rant #2

Thanks for listening Susan. You're the best.

Eden
10-09-2008, 09:40 AM
That's a real bummer about Sidi shoes.... I take a 37 in Sidis, so they've effectively shut me out of buying any of their shoes - and they even run small. I generally find a size 6 to be big in regular shoes.

SouthernBelle
10-09-2008, 09:51 AM
I, for one, always appreciate hearing what people want to see more of. And believe me, we DO pass that info on. Sometimes I talk until I'm blue in the face, but it does produce results. For example. for S'09 Pearl Izumi is making almost every single thing they make in XS AND XXL, as a direct result of both customer requests we shared AND data we provided to them on sales of those sizes from other vendors. It's a huge leap forward for them, and I fully expect we'll see the sale of Pearl increase as a direct result.

But won't that be offset by their latest ads?

Susan Otcenas
10-09-2008, 02:07 PM
What amazes me is that Sidi created the Women's Genius 6.6 and they started the sizing at 38. .......And I know your hands are tied to whatever the manufacturer/distributer sends you, but come on.... there's no way I would pay $300-$500 for a pair of shoes with a pink sheen or with blue flowers.

If such patterns are desirable... why not just make the shoes plain and offer lycra shoe covers with different colors/designs on them? Lycra covers are cheap, easily washable and are infinitely more matchable!

Bluetree - I'm in the middle of some stuff here in the office right now, so I can't get to all your points right at the moment, but I did want to talk about this one real quick.

re: 6.6 & starting @ 38. My understanding from talking to the folks @ Sidi was that it was a cost-benefit problem. They report that the molds for each size shoe are very expensive, and that they simply can't sell enough of the smaller sizes in the very expensive shoes to offset the cost of the molds. They DO sell enough in the less expensive shoes to offset the molds, which is why you can find smaller SIDIs in other styles. This is what I'm told; take it for what you will. :)

re: the blue flowers: The new blue flowered shoe is the Genius 5 Pro Carbon seen here: http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodSD_1250762.html . It DOES have a plain black counterpart. See the black version here: http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodSD_1250776.html There is a slight difference in the ratchet mechanism but they are otherwise identical in feature set. I'm also delighted to report that both the blue flower & the black are available down to size 36 this year, so for those women with small feet wanting a carbon sole - this is your ticket. I have a customer who has been asking for 35s for years, and I still can't help *her* out, but at least this year is an improvement over last.

Re: the pink sheen. In 2007, Sidi had the women's 5.5 in a plain white (with a very narrow blue 'pinstripe'). In 2008, just the Luxury (pink)version went forward. It was one of our best selling women's sidi shoes. For 2009, there is once again only the Luxury at the 5.5 level. The 6.6 for 2009 is white with two narrow pinstripes - one yellow & one purple. I chose NOT to carry it; besides the odd color stripes, it's also $529.00. I think there would be a market for this shoe, even at this price, if they'd dropped the purple/yellow bit, but I felt it was just too spendy to be so color specific. We can always special order it, though, if someone wants it.

Finally, I've already asked the Sidi product manager at Veltec (the US distributor) about planned color options for 2010 (released in F'09). Sounds like they are still in the planning stages, so if you have an opinion, now's the time to voice it! :D

Susan

Eden
10-09-2008, 02:23 PM
You have more up to date info than the Sidi web site.... I'd assumed that since they were switching from nylon to carbon soles on the Genius 5's that they'd also be offering only 39's and up - as all their other carbon shoes are that sizing. It's nice to know that they will be still offering 37's as I rather like my Sidis. Not so sure I care for the flowers..... but black broil your feet - my husband had actual burns! on the tops of his feet from one long hot race..

Susan Otcenas
10-09-2008, 02:31 PM
You have more up to date info than the Sidi web site....

For whatever reason, they have not yet updated their website with the new 2009 shoes, even though we dealers already have them in stock. OTOH, we ALWAYS take 1st available ship dates, so it could be that the majority of retailers are still selling 2008 shoes.

7rider
10-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Finally, I've already asked the Sidi product manager at Veltec (the US distributor) about planned color options for 2010 (released in F'09). Sounds like they are still in the planning stages, so if you have an opinion, now's the time to voice it! :D

Color options?? How about SIZE 11!!!! Taking those shoes up to 43.5 or even 44 would be awesome! Thanks! :)

malkin
10-11-2008, 12:44 PM
My wish is for some system of you-choose-your-bottoms (shorts, tights, knickers, bibs, etc) with you-choose-your-chamois with some simple attachment.

It seems like riders have their favorites, and then manufacturers change the chamois or the pants, and we're back to square one.

It's a sensitive area fercryin'outloud--no wonder we're so picky about it!

Velobambina
10-12-2008, 04:45 AM
Bluetree and I are soul sisters when it comes to cycling clothing (Exte Ondo addicts), so I echo her "wants." Particularly a desire for affordable but good quality bib knickers and bib tights.

I love EO's jerseys, particularly the winter ones. My one beef with the warm weather (SS) jerseys is the shrinking back pocket size. I like the Diba jersey (08 jersey) -- fabric, styling, fit -- but dang, those back pockets are tiny. The Sanon from 07 had more generous back pockets (but the fabric wasn't as cooling in hot weather as the Diba).

One thing to add to the list: high quality WARM shoe covers for mountain-style cycling shoes.

tzvia
10-12-2008, 05:35 AM
The issue isn't simply of 'marketing', it's one of _understanding_ what women want/need in the cycling community and being willing to provide it. I thought that finding 38.5 Sidis locally was a bear; everything was mens mens mens mens. :mad:. Womens shoes, sure- how about some nice ones that look like tennis shoes or hikers-:mad:. So even while the shoes I want exist, finding them at a local LBS is problematic. The few that have a pair :eek: want full list! No wonder I am buying more and more on the Internet. I want to support the local LBSs but not at full list price. So you girls who need size 10 or 11, trust me, we woman with normal feet aren't doing much better with the local LBS. Unless you want hiking MTB shoes. :rolleyes:

My beef with 'womens' stuff is gloves. They make them pink and call them 'womens'. Padding is an inch thick in hard lumps. So I buy mens small (Rock Racing gloves are the bomb). Don't the manufactures get it? Some women want performance gloves. Pearl Isumi is the worst offender- their womens gloves are horrible and I don't care if they are pink and light blue with flowers, thank you.

Again, the LBS; womens saddles? Sure, big wide beach cruiser weighs 5lbs. Great. Another sale lost to the Internet.

Yes things are better than they were 20 years ago. I own two new bikes that are sized to fit women. The toptube isn't longer than the Titanic. The drops are shallow and the crank arms are 165. They aren't beach cruisers. And I found them both in stock at the LBS, הַלְלוּיָהּ! But they didn't have the shoes...

motochick
10-12-2008, 05:44 AM
http://www.boure.com/catalogue.html

For some of your clothing desires, and they have pads wide enough for our sitbones! Good stuff.

Brenda

Irulan
10-12-2008, 07:43 AM
I'm going to be the devils advocate here. Keep in mind I totally get how frustrating all this is. But from a manufacturer's viewpoint, it's really difficult to invest tens thousands of dollars into product development and marketing for a product that only a very small segment of the population will want to purchase, much less actually purchase. Usually it will create a loss.

This is why you will be more likely to find need/niche specific products from small, independently owned small and web businesses. Some people view this as an opportunity to develop and create a product, and then market the hell out of it.

Susan Otcenas
10-13-2008, 02:58 PM
The few that have a pair :eek: want full list! No wonder I am buying more and more on the Internet. I want to support the local LBSs but not at full list price.

I'm probably going to regret this....

There are so many things wrong with your statement.

For one, you imply that someone charging you full list is ripping you off. That's simply not true. Margins are small in this business. Why do you want to deny business owners the ability to make some money? It might come as a shock to you, but most people are in business to earn a living. If you remove the profit motivation, most people simply wouldn't bother to start a business at all. Most business owners, me included, work far longer hours, evenings and weekends, than the average non-owner. We do it because we love what we do. Nonetheless, I wouldn't work this hard, for this long, if there was no financial reward in it for me. We owners work our tails off, and there's nothing wrong with our making some money from that hard work.

Secondly - service and selection don't come free. You want good service? That requires hiring good employees. Who need to be paid. Who are paid from the margin on the products we sell. You want selection? Where do you suppose the money comes from for business owners to finance their inventory? Money-losing businesses can't afford to hire good people, or keep a wide selection of product on hand.

Now, I should tell you I love to find something on sale as much as anyone else. And you'll find end of season and prior season items on sale @ TE. Great bargains to be had on some of this stuff. But a full-price business model allows me to hire great staff, have a huge selection, and take home something for myself at the end of the month. And I simply will not apologize for that. I hope we attract customers that value the service and selection we provide, and who recognize that those things don't come cheap.

Susan

OakLeaf
10-13-2008, 02:59 PM
<applause>

Geonz
10-13-2008, 03:09 PM
+1

There are costs to cheapness.

We are so spoiled... we generally don't see those costs. AT some point, though, the world pays.

I'd much rather keep my LBS going than Wally World or Discount Online.

Susan Otcenas
10-13-2008, 03:10 PM

Susan

I heard back from Veltec, and as I suspected, they're still in the planning stages. I was asked my opinion on patent leather for women. They do a gorgeous men's Ergo in black patent leather. What do you think of something like this in a women's? What about a patent leather in some other color? I saw a red patent leather from Lake that was interesting too.

Bluetree
10-13-2008, 03:14 PM
I heard back from Veltec, and as I suspected, they're still in the planning stages. I was asked my opinion on patent leather for women. They do a gorgeous men's Ergo in black patent leather. What do you think of something like this in a women's? What about a patent leather in some other color? I saw a red patent leather from Lake that was interesting too.

I'd hit it. (and patent white, too!)

::: saliva :::

Bluetree
10-13-2008, 03:15 PM
(Looking at it again)

::: thunk :::

Velobambina
10-14-2008, 02:59 AM
Now, I should tell you I love to find something on sale as much as anyone else. And you'll find end of season and prior season items on sale @ TE. Great bargains to be had on some of this stuff. But a full-price business model allows me to hire great staff, have a huge selection, and take home something for myself at the end of the month. And I simply will not apologize for that. I hope we attract customers that value the service and selection we provide, and who recognize that those things don't come cheap.

Susan

You get what you pay for. In my experience, TE is one of the best online retailers in the business and I think we are spoiled by the selection, service, and fair pricing. It's rare to find such consistently exceptional customer service in this day and age (anyone ever deal w/Verizon Wireless? Performance Bike? I've had issues w/Terry, for crying out loud, but NEVER with TE). I will pay more for high quality products offered by a reputable, customer-focused company. It might mean that I'm more selective in what I buy, but I am also purchasing the assurance that if something goes wrong, TE will "make it right."

babynoahsmom
10-22-2008, 04:00 AM
You want to talk problems? Try being a plus size rider. Yes, some of us do actually haul our fat rumps on a bicycle. Right now I am looking for winter tights that I think will be comfortable. Don't even get me started on plus size sports bras. As I write, my new Dolce Elite is at the bike shop being fitted. If I don't find a comfortable long tight before much longer I will be religated to the trainer all winter and as I live in AR, our winters are relitively mild. Alos if you are ever in Little Rock, ride Big Dam Bridge. It's great!

7rider
10-22-2008, 04:26 AM

Blech.
I can't stand patent leather.
Makes me think of being in third grade with my plaid school uniform skirt and knee high white socks.

SouthernBelle
10-22-2008, 04:58 AM
Patent leather is not something I would buy personally unless the shoe felt like bliss. Then I wouldn't be buying for the patent leather, but in spite of it.

Besides, boys use it to see up your skirt.

Yes, I'm old enough to remember that.

Aggie_Ama
10-22-2008, 05:06 AM
Haha! In Austin there is still some law on the books that you can only wear patent leather on Congress avenue on Sunday. Or something really silly like that.

I am so neurotic about scratches I couldn't do it. I remember the scuffs and being absolutely crazy about it when I was a kiddo and had patent leather Mary Janes.

Misandal
10-22-2008, 08:01 AM
Susan,

Very well-said. My husband and I own a small business and we hope that our customers realize that we do provide them with more than just competitive pricing, but also great service and expertise. And like you said, not only do we earn our living from this business but we provide one for our employees as well.

I know there are one or two things I could have bought cheaper elsewhere online, but your service and selection is second to none, in my experience, and I'll continue to do business with TE. I want to make sure you're around for a long, long time!

Missy Sandal

P.S. Say hello to Sandy and tell her the Blue Ridge Parkway tour was awesome!

Bluetree
10-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Lovelovelove Italian patent leather...!

http://i1.iofferphoto.com/img/item/152/633/58/20071230112020.jpg

SouthernBelle
10-22-2008, 10:56 AM
It isn't if you don't care for patent leather.

Or overpriced merchandise. ;)

maillotpois
10-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Color options?? How about SIZE 11!!!! Taking those shoes up to 43.5 or even 44 would be awesome! Thanks! :)

DITTO.

Women's size 11 - or 44. PLEASE someone - anyone - start making this!!!

tc1
10-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Here's another request for a woman's size 11 cycle shoe. Size 11 please!

Fredwina
10-22-2008, 12:49 PM
me too! (size 11 that is)