PDA

View Full Version : Soap/Body Wash

GraysonKelly
10-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Hi all,
I was just wondering...Although I'm not having issues yet, I want to avoid skin irritation. What kind of soap do you use? My dad's a pharmacist and suggested that I use Neutrogena soap after my rides because it restores natural skin Ph quickly and because it rinses so clean. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Gray

Zen
10-04-2008, 08:27 AM
Nothing like a good bar of Lava.

OakLeaf
10-04-2008, 10:00 AM
LOL Zen!

Most Neutrogena products make me break out something awful.

Better Botanicals on my face, Dr. Bronner's everywhere else. Nothing sensitizing in either one, unless you have a specific allergy to one of the ingredients.

GraysonKelly
10-04-2008, 10:42 AM
LOL Zen!

Most Neutrogena products make me break out something awful.

Better Botanicals on my face, Dr. Bronner's everywhere else. Nothing sensitizing in either one, unless you have a specific allergy to one of the ingredients.

Stupid question....If i'm allergic to hemp will I be allergic to dr. bronner's products? My skin is pretty sensitive. I use neutrogena on my face and hair. I just wanted to know if soap would be a good thing to use on my bum and sit bone skin areas after my rides. I use jsut regular old soap now, but I'm noticing some more irritation just under my buttocks. (sorry if this is TMI) I suppose it couldn't hurt to try it.
Gray

OakLeaf
10-04-2008, 11:21 AM
That's not a stupid question! Dr. Bronner's is made with hemp oil (among other oils).

If it was me, if I'd reacted only to hemp fiber I might try something made with the oil (but I'd borrow some or see if they had a tester at the store, I wouldn't spend the money for a whole bottle if you might be allergic to it). If you've had a reaction to other products made with hemp oil, then soaps probably aren't a good idea.

shootingstar
10-04-2008, 05:09 PM
I use Allenbury's for my face...and have for last ..hmmm....30 years. It's a very neutral soup for me.

When I was a teenager I did see a dermatologist for acne. And since then I've used this soap.

I use other different soaps for rest of body which requires a slightly more creamy soap since my skin is abit drier.

alpinerabbit
10-05-2008, 01:20 AM
I use a product that also contains oil. very moisturizing.

never had issues anymore than before cycling.

indysteel
10-06-2008, 06:21 AM
Soap may or may not really help the situation if you're getting irritated on "your bum". Have you thought about using a chamois cream of some kind? Do you have the right pair of cycling short?

But back to your question, I just use Dove shower gel. However, I try not to "overcleanse" my girly bits because that can upset the pH balance. I have treated saddle sores successfully in the past with a benzoyl peroxide cream and have used that, too, when I start to get some irritation on my bum or in the crease of my leg. I try to fend it off, however, with a liberal amount of Chamois Butt'r.