PDA

View Full Version : Really off topic

TryToKeepUp
10-02-2008, 01:23 PM
So.. I came across an old photo of me from when i was a kid during Christmas time and all the old memories started rushing back of my sister and i decorating the tree together and playing in the snow.. what are some of your favorite Christmas memories?

beccaB
10-02-2008, 03:52 PM
my brother and I fighting over who got to put the one ornament on the tree that has a little whirligig inside and spins around when heat rises from one of the old big lights from the 60's.

bmccasland
10-02-2008, 04:01 PM
When I was really little, we lived in France - Dad was a USAF pilot.

Anyway, we went to Germany for Christmas, and I was totally fascinated by Bavaria - the snowy Black Forest, a music box shop, a candle shop (those beautifully carved candles (that just aren't the same coming out of Asia), the painted buildings, and the hand carved wood statues. It all seemed so magical. I have three Thorens music boxes that play little German folk songs.

I want to go back to Bavaria one year for Christmas. Hopefully the magic is still there.

emily_in_nc
10-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Waiting until my parents let us run down the stairs and see what Santa Claus brought. The anticipation was SO exciting!

tulip
10-03-2008, 04:18 AM
One year my little brother and I got up really early and wrapped ribbons around our waists and tucked ourselves under the tree. We waited there for a long time before our parents came in. They loved it, and still talk about it 35 years later!

AlwayzOnDaMove
10-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Well, I wasn't really celebrating Christmas when I was a kid. I remember we used to had family gathering and praying all night ugh.. It was such a boring moments! lol but the food was great I think that is the only thing I'm excited about Christmas hahaha! and It's coming soon!

Aggie_Ama
10-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Oh my I love Christmas, I have so many memories. It seems like every year something strikes me as magical. I love family, I love shopping, I love giving, I love getting, I love the cookies, the stockings. I miss my Pawpaw's old record player (a huge chest style one) playing carols, my Nanny got rid of it and my brother and I both cried when we realized that.

We used to go out weekly to this little pizza place, one with red checked table cloths and little candles in glass, the type of place you rarely see anymore. Anyway after leaving we would always walk by this toy shop, it was a pricey one not a Toys R Us but more of a boutique style. All fall there were these two really cool bears in the window, an astronaut and a hospital patient with a bandage. My brother and I wanted them so bad and every week we would stop to look. Early in December the bears were gone, we were absolutely crushed that someone had our bears. Little did we know my parents had bought them, best gift ever to open. I was probably 4 but I remember being so excited. My mom told me later she worked extra hours at her part time job to afford those bears because they were way more than any normal bear. I think they were $50 this must have been 1985. We of course cherished them and still have Cub Canaveral and I named mine Michelle.

Funny thing is this also the year Cabage Patch Kids were so popular, my Pawpaw wouldn't settle on not getting me one. He finally found one "on the black market" and paid $100 for it. :eek: I was so excited I could hardly contain it that Christmas.

Now that I think about it I cannot believe they wasted their money so silly but that day I thought I was just the luckiest little girl. I am sure my 4-year old squeels were some sort of payment. :)

My mom's favorite thing is to still have us decorate her tree. There are two beautiful little ceramic ornaments her sister bought us in 1982. A pink angel with Amanda Jean on it and a blue one that says Jason Wayne. We always hang them together near one another. Mom and Dad still use the same red plastic topper from 1975, the year they were married. It is inexpensive, a bell fell off, it is dated but it is the topper, has to be forever and ever!

Fredwina
10-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Not really, my favorite, but most persisent.
Having to wait to open presents until dad got home from work (he was a pharmacist)

wnyrider
10-03-2008, 02:43 PM
We didn't celebrate Christmas in my house, but our next door neighbors did and made it a special time for us too. After their kids went to sleep on Christmas Eve, they would call and have us go over to their house. Their children were several years younger than me and my siblings. We then got to help the parents decorate the Tree. It was a terrific time! It was sweet to hear the little ones gushing over the tree the next day.

TryToKeepUp
10-07-2008, 07:52 AM
Aww.. those all sound like such fun.. I really wish i was a kid again during that time..

KeepingUp
10-08-2008, 10:52 AM
I don't have a favorite memory on Christmas. I was mostly excited the days before when my parents would get my stuff. I gave them a list with 200 toys on it. They almost fell out when the read the list lol. I got a good amount of toys that year. Some things were better than the stuff I originally asked for.

letsride89
10-13-2008, 07:24 AM
You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!!!!!!!!!

Tweet
10-27-2008, 09:36 AM
I love christmas!!! My two brothers and I use to wake up so excited and run to the tree and rip open the presents to see what santa bought us. My brothers and I use to hop up and down and jump around out of excitement. those were the days. We were so excited in the afternoon when my parents use to take us to see the christmas show at radio city ...we were so silly...we wanted to see santa so we could thank him for the gifts. haha...those were the days

my family and I try to keep the tradition and when we're all together we go to new york and we see the tree and then we go see the christmas spectacular. This year we're going to see the show after not being able to go for about 5 years now. We bought our tixs with a 25% off promo code that i was given at work. Actually let me give u the code...it's "54orchweb" and you use it at checkout when indicated. Here's the link we used to buy our tixs: http://www.radiocity.com/tickets/promotion.html?p_id=54ORCHWEB

I hope this helps since i know that saving nowadays is really important. enjoy

GraysonKelly
10-30-2008, 09:07 AM
Until last year, I didn't have a specific memory that I loved. But we used to have a tradition where my mom's whole family would get together about a week before Christmas and we'd have a party/reunion. I loved those times. My uncles would bring their guitars and I'd sing (I'm the singer in the family).
Last year, though, I think is my favorite specific memory. It was my niece's first Christmas. She was only 7 months old so she didn't really know what was going on but we all had so much fun. My mom made her a stocking like the one that my sis and I have had since we were little. Dev played in the wrapping paper and giggled and smiled at how excited we were. Her granddaddy put together toys for her and I helped him...it was the first time in a year that my dad and I actually talked and got along and smiled. My sis said later that it made her feel good to see me and dad acting like me and dad again. I played and sang songs for Dev and at dinner, the little imp just stole the show by being the sweetest funniest baby ever. I love that kid and I love that memory.
Gray

Smurfette
10-30-2008, 01:14 PM
ahhhh Christmas...time of family, gifts, celebration and PANIC....I have good memories when I was young,,but now its all rush rush rush ya know??..I got tix to the Radio City spec. this year....so I'm hoping it's going to be better than the last few years..being that they were so hectic

thanks for the code by the way...it worked really good! Great find!

makbike
10-31-2008, 10:22 AM
One of my favorite memories of Christmas is of my parents loading us up in the car. We would spend Christmas Eve traveling from house to house (relatives and friends) to simply spend time with those who were important to us. Upon returning late at night we would gather around the tree and each was given one package to open before going off to bed. I would stay awake all night listening for reindeer hooves.

Christmas dinner was and continues to be a wonderful memory. Mom and Dad order a nice cut of meat (prime rib) and the house is filled with wonderful smells. Dinner comes and we all gather around the table to share the meal and time with each other. The meal is the same each year: prime rib, mash potatoes, breaded green beans, rolls, Aunt Elsie's green jello, spiced apples, gravy and chocolate pudding pies for dessert.

Finally, for years and years my mom and I would spend an entire day making hard crack candy to give away as gifts. The house would smell wonderful and the time with my mom was priceless. The clean-up was awful and with each passing year we found ourselves making more and more candy. A couple of years ago we called it quits just too much work but the memories are still there.

MomOnBike
11-02-2008, 07:52 AM
You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!!!!!!!!!

OK, that brings up a favorite Christmas memory. I was, oh, 5 or 6-ish, and got a BB gun for Christmas. It was far too cold to go out and try it out - we open presents on Christmas Eve, and the Ranch House is at 8,000 ft in the Colorado Rockies - so Grandpa Boots turned the living room into a shooting range for me.

We got a box, filled it with old magazines and newspapers, set it up by the little fireplace, warned the dogs and people out of the way, and I learned how to shoot then and there.

Yeah, that's love, redneck style.

BleeckerSt_Girl
12-15-2008, 01:45 PM
When I was about 5 I think, my mother and I were I think doing some Christmas window shopping in New York city, where we lived. It was late afternoon, and it started snowing heavily. We were near Central Park, and she decided we should cut through the park in the snow because it was so pretty. Well it got dark quickly, and the snow was suddenly coming down like a blizzard. No one was in the park and there were only occasional lamps and the paths were being covered by heavy snow. We became lost and could not find our way out of the park! Central Park is BIG. We were getting very cold and making many false turns, our footsteps getting covered almost as soon as we made them. There was no noise and no people anywhere. I was scared and I sensed my Mommy was scared too. I thought we were going to die there in the frozen snow and our bodies found the next day.
We kept circling round and round looking for a way out of the park, but the snow was blowing deeper and deeper and we were freezing with numb hands and feet.
Suddenly, like a miracle, we made another turn and found an exit to the street! I never felt so happy and relieved! As fate would have it, directly across from the park exit was a tiny German restaurant in the German neighborhood of Yorkville ('The Ideal Restaurant', I think I recall it was?) Mommy got all excited and told me how lucky we were to be there, but you couldn't see inside because the big plate glass windows were dripping with foggy steam...a very good sign, good enough for me! We went in and the bell on the door jungled and there was the counter all lined with German people in big winter coats eating happily, and the whole place smelled like sausages and apples! We sat at the counter, rubbing ourselves to warm up, and had the most wonderful hot potato pancakes with apple sauce that I'll ever eat in my life. For years afterwards, Mommy and I would sometimes say to each other when it snowed- "Remember the time we got lost in the snowstorm in Central Park and almost died?"

Biciclista
12-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Christmas for me is not a bunch of good memories, but you guys have encouraged me to think of my good ones.

The smell of my grandmother's house when we walked in the door. A big giant pot of tomato sauce (or gravy, depending on what you want to call it) simmering on the stove, my grandmother's ravioli board (i still have it) covered with dough, and me helping her make the ravioli!
my other grandparents' house filled with similiar smells and all sorts of sweet goodies waiting to be sampled. And Italians used to not have christmas trees, they had a nativity scene instead. My grandfather used to get all the critters he could find like cowboys and indians, stuffed toys, silly stuff and add them to the nativity scene. I actually have some of his nearly 100 year old figurines now.

Tuckervill
12-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Not Christmas memories, but Lisa's and Mimi's reminded me:

I'm about 5, too, and living in the 'burbs outside Chicago. It's cold and snowy, but still my mom dresses me up warmly for shopping in Chicago. We take the bus in, and spend the whole day shopping. While we are standing at a rather deserted bus stop, waiting for the bus, my mom looks into my face and sees rosy red cheeks and glazed eyes. She sticks her hand under my hat and realizes I have a fever. We get home, and discover I am covered up in chicken pox! The next day both my brothers, who had been at school that day, get them, too.

My grandma's house in Chicago always smelt like the gas stove in the living room, and the zippered plastic covers on her couch. I remember spending the night there when I was little, and sleeping on that couch, which she had covered with a sheet. I was cold, so moved over to the floor in front of the stove in the night. She came through the living room for some reason (I thought she was in bed), and woke me and made me get back on the couch. I was too sleepy to talk but I needed another blanket if I was going to sleep on the couch. I remember later moving back to the floor after I couldn't take it anymore. I loved my Gramma's house. You could see the Ampitheater from her house.

Karen

OakLeaf
12-15-2008, 04:36 PM
My Oma's Christmas tree, with real candles in defiance of the D.C. fire code. :) If you've never seen a tree with real candles, you can't even believe how beautiful that was.

Biciclista
12-15-2008, 05:40 PM
my grandmother had some kind of funky bubbling candles on her little tree. I have no idea what they were, but they were lighted transparent tubes of color.

http://www.allthingschristmas.com/pics/bubble-lights.jpg

tulip
12-15-2008, 05:55 PM
my grandmother had some kind of funky bubbling candles on her little tree. I have no idea what they were, but they were lighted transparent tubes of color.

I love those! We have them on our tree (my family) every year. We call them bubble lights.

Aggie_Ama
12-17-2008, 10:39 AM
My Oma's Christmas tree, with real candles in defiance of the D.C. fire code. :) If you've never seen a tree with real candles, you can't even believe how beautiful that was.

Oma! I saw one once in Fredericksburg as a kiddo. We went to Fredericksburg last weekend, the Gluewillan, the brogue accents, I love Christmas in the Hill Country.

My husband has an Oma. There is something so magical about her saying grace in German, can't understand a word she is saying but it sounds lovely.