PDA

View Full Version : Creaking Saddle....Grrrrrr!

TwoWeims
05-09-2005, 06:09 PM
Hey Ladies,
I'm fairly new to the whole biking scene...recently invested a few bucks into a new Trek 6500 mtn bike. Had no problems with it until after about my fifth time taking it out for a ride. The seat/saddle area...somewhere around there...started creaking. It only creaks when I am sitting on it. And it seems to be getting worse...doing it more often. I've tried lightly tinkering with it, as that is all I know how to do at this point! Nothing seems to help. It is driving me crazy! My LBS is a couple hours away, and I have plans to take my bike in for some adjustments later in the month, but I sure as heck don't want to have to wait until then until I can ride sanely again! Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

By the way, this site ROCKS!! Been reading and checking in daily for quite some time now. Can't tell you how much valuable, valuable information we have picked up from this site! Good stuff!!

Laura

JanT
05-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Laura,
I have a TREK 6700, and had the same problem with the creaking saddle when it was new. I tried lubing/greasing the middle section, and made sure I had clamps really tight on the seat rails. That helped. That creaking can drive you crazy! Hope you can resolved it without a trip to the LBS. Maybe others have some tricks, too.

Cdalekat
05-10-2005, 06:39 PM
My creaking saddle was driving me absolutely crazy. I finally mentioned it to my LBS, and the mechanic simply tightened the rail clamp. Presto, no more creaking.

I felt very silly that I hadn't managed to tighten it enough on my own. But, in my defense, I was trying with a little portable tool... the mechanic had a huge lever arm with his tools!

TwoWeims
05-11-2005, 07:52 AM
Thanks for that input. Took her out last night and greased her up a little, and didn't hear another noise out of her!! : ) It was a great moment...and life is now good again! :D

JanT
05-14-2005, 11:03 AM
Ah, the sounds of silence! Glad it's better and you can have your sanity back.