PDA

View Full Version : MTB newbie looking for saddle help!

dmaui
05-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Just got my trek 4500wsd and love it, but hate the saddle - not comfortable at all! I'm looking for recommendations on saddles to try at my local shop or online. I've been looking at Koobi SI and Terry Butterfly Tri online, of course I'm open to anything that will protect my tender areas. I won't be doing any major mountain work (no mountains here in fl!), mainly off road sand trails.

If you've had good experiences with either or have another saddle to recommend, please help this newbie!

tia,

Donna

CorsairMac
05-09-2005, 07:35 PM
it truly is a personal thing. I have the Specialized MTB saddle on both my MTB and my commuter bike and the Specialized Road Sport on my road bike. Several ppl here LOVE the Terry, and several hate it, same for the Koobi. If your LBS will let you try them before you buy - try a bunch. Also, ask them about their return policy - sometimes what feels right at the time may become torture as the ride gets longer!

and welcome to the board!....how exciting about your new bike!

dmaui
05-10-2005, 08:10 AM
CorsairMac, thanks for your advice. I do plan on trying a few at my LBS - they carry Trek, Serfas and Selle Royal, unfortunately not Koobi or Terry so I'll have to go online for them. Koobi's no prob - they have a 30 day money back deal. Don't know if I should try Terry or not.

Specialized has some interesting saddles - I may see if I can find another shop in the area that carries them.

Donna

SadieKate
05-10-2005, 08:22 AM
Welcome aboard!

I use the WTB Laser V Stealth on my mtbikes and the Speed V on my town bikes. WTB has a huge variety of saddles with a dropped nose. The "Love Channel" seems to work for the tender parts, but I wish they'd use a different name. Gag. :cool:

Irulan
05-10-2005, 09:00 AM
specialized has a butt measuring device. It actually measure the width of the sit bones. You sit on this thing and your bones make impressions in the memory foam, which can then be measured and translated into a saddle recommendation. And no, they are not measuring how big your butt is, just the width of your bones.

irulan

bounceswoosh
05-10-2005, 09:07 AM
CorsairMac, thanks for your advice. I do plan on trying a few at my LBS - they carry Trek, Serfas and Selle Royal
Donna

I have a Serfas that's the best saddle I've found so far:

http://www.serfas.com/racing_saddles/TRCW.html

A bike store guy recommended it to me when I told him I'd had no luck finding a comfortable saddle. He said a lot of women like it.

spazzdog
05-10-2005, 01:01 PM
Hey dmaui!

I'm one of 2?? Koobi users here... I've been riding a Koobi for years and will never use another saddle. If I get racing I'll buy their racer model.

spazzdog