PDA

View Full Version : Tuc

wabisabi
05-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Which stands for Tour of the Unknown Coast, up here on the north coast. It is supposed to be the hardest century, which I believe. I opted for the metric. I'd like to say that was because it has been an very rainy spring and hard for training (which it was), but that would definitely not be true. The century is probably 3x as hard as the metric, with a couple of HUGE hills at the end, a lot of switchbacks, headwinds along the ocean, etc.

I woke up this morning feeling not quite tip top, a little congested, gastrically challenged and low energy, but I figured I had enough of a base to ride 62 miles at least, besides, who can resist a ride along the Avenue of the Giants, which for those unfamiliar, are some of the biggest coastal redwoods. Because of my dithering, I was a little late and told my group to go ahead, I would catch them by lunch, which I did. It was actually not a huge rider group, maybe because the weather was predicted to be iffy. We actually had some sun for a couple of short periods. The hardest part, out and back, are a series of hills called The Three Sisters. Not too long, but surprisingly hard. Otherwise, farmland and rollers through trees. I felt not bad, considering, rode with a bay area guy working out some sort of midlife crisis issue, or so he shared. The food was not bad, lunch was good, and there is a party to share war stories tonight. I ran into my personal trainer, a triathlete, who probably did the century, in, oh sub 6 hours. If I could manage the whole tour, I would feel incredibly gnarly--maybe some day.

Bike Goddess
05-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Good Job! I've heard about that ride :D Just getting out there and doing a ride, regardless is a victory in itself! :) :)

Have fun tonight and be glad you're not doing the ride tomorrow in the RAIN!!!! :cool:

wabisabi
05-07-2005, 05:00 PM
So true, Bike Goddess, and thanks!

I realized I forgot the part where the pit bull ran at me in Rio Dell, but fortunately he had a too much ground to cover to catch up (chasing a lawyer, not so good, doggie)

:D

CorsairMac
05-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Well done was - no matter which part you rode, you Rode it!...that's what count. Wish I'da known,,,,,,I'da been thinking about ya. I did my first metric century today....actually it ended up being 71 miles but whos counting another 9 miles? ;) I can't even imagine the beauty of riding thru those redwoods or on the coast....it had to have been awe-inspiring! job well done!

snapdragen
05-07-2005, 06:30 PM
TUC sounds like a great ride - I love Ave. of the Giants. One of my "maybe" trips is a stay at Miranda Gardens with the dog and bike.

wabisabi
05-07-2005, 08:04 PM
71 miles--it is really not that much farther to do a century, Ms. Corsair! You are developing a good base milage; I predict a century soon in your future :eek:

Speaking of a ride in the redwoods--it is a great ride to just start at the Avenue and head south,you can easily go 35-40 miles, and I think that fall is really the most beautiful time, and the weather is the best then. Our group planned a early summer ride at dinner tonight. Let me know if you ever want to meet to do it, snapdragen.

The only bummer about today is that that young guy who teaches one of the pace classes I do, and who is a big, agressive rider, really wiped out today. He did also at wildflower, but with only road rash to show for it. This time, it may be a broken collarbone, pelvis and leg. Ugh. He is self employed and recently had a new baby, so that's gonna be tough, plus that is a hard combination to heal from.

OK, time for bed.

Bike Goddess
05-07-2005, 09:19 PM
Wabisabi- Funny you should mention a ride in the fall up your way! I suggested that about a month ago and no one said anything further! It is beautiful and I'd love to ride around the redwoods. We often stay at Mill Creek State Park- Its one of our favorite camping places. We also stayed in a campground at the southern end of the AVE of Giants and loved that too (last year coming home from the Seattle/Portland ride).

Oh, let's plan something for fall! I'll have to get vacation time request in soon so we'll have to figure out a date and then I'll submit a request.

nuthatch
05-08-2005, 03:36 AM
It sounds so, so beautiful out there - what a wonderful place to ride. Good work, Wasabi!

wabisabi
05-10-2005, 11:14 AM
Bike Goddess, I would love to help organize a fall ride up here for those of you from places more southward. Surely it will stop raining by then! I can bring it up again as fall approaches.

snapdragen
05-10-2005, 03:07 PM
Excellent! I haven't been up that way in ages. My sis went to Humbolt State - spent a week in Arcata with her, a million years ago!

Bike Goddess
05-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Okay, what I will do is submit some dates for possible vacation time in late Aulgust, early September (before it starts raining up there- you always have an earlier rainy season) and while its still not too cold. I'll keep you all posted!

Yes, Nuthatch- there is something very special about those TALL redwoods! :D :D