PDA

View Full Version : wanna help me buy a kayak?

lph
09-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Soooo - I've kayaked every now and then for a couple of years, rented or borrowed kayaks on short (1-3 hours) trips, lake or calm sea. And I've finally realized that I really really really want my OWN kayak, that will fit me well. And then I realized how darn expensive they are :eek:

I was thinking of buying one used, but now I've got a reasonably good offer on a new Prijon Catalina:
http://www.coloradokayak.com/Prijon-Catalina-Touring-Kayak
and am going to try it out in the water today. It's a very snug kayak, not much room in there.

But I also just now saw a Necky Eliza on sale:
http://www.neckykayaks.com/kayaks/touring/eliza_polymer.shtml
It would cost a bit more, but includes a vest (which I already have), a carbon oar, and a spraydeck.

Has anybody tried any of these? They're both what I'm looking for, which is a snug, low-volume, fast but reasonably stable sea kayak in plastic. Oh and lightweight and cheap too, of course :D

NbyNW
09-24-2008, 12:30 AM
Haven't tried either, but as another erstwhile kayak renter I might live vicariously through reading about your shopping experience.

Both boats look really great.

Have fun, I hope you find something you really love!

squirrell
09-24-2008, 03:34 AM
My DH has done a lot of kayaking/canoeing and used to work in a kayak/canoe shop, so knows alot about the different brands. He said that both the ones you're looking at at good quality boats (in general) but he's not familiar particularly with those models (they might be models only available in Europe). BUT, he did say that the Prijon's were more expensive in the U.S. then the Necky but he saw no different as far as quality/features to warrant that price difference. The Prijons are made in Germany, he said, and the Necky is made in the U.S.--which might have accounted for the price difference though.

He also suggested you look at the Necky Looksha models--he said they were "very popular" with women and seemed to just "fit women" very well, and that it is a "very capable" boat. He knew one woman who kayaked over 1/2 the length of the Mississippi River in a Looksha.

He said that "if you can afford it" though and really want quality to get a P & H Kayak. They're made in England and are excellent quality--well worth the money. He said you can "stand across the room" and see the different in quality between a P & H and any other kayak. He had a P & H kayak and took it on several long-distance trips, including kayaking from Key Largo to Key West and the Florida Everglades a couple of times. You can see his trip notes/photos here if you're interested

Florida Keys 2004 (http://www.tjadventures.com/florida.htm)

Florida Everglades (http://www.tjadventures.com/everglades.htm)

Hope this might help.

7rider
09-24-2008, 04:02 AM
I have a Necky Manitou (http://www.neckykayaks.com/kayaks/recreation/manitou_13.shtml) - a bit smaller than what you're looking at, and more recreationally oriented. However, DH and I love it (prefer it over our older Dagger Cypress (http://www.outdoorreview.com/mfr/dagger/kayaks/PRD_78732_2992crx.aspx)). The Necky has a nice shallow keel and tracks nicely, and it is a much drier boat in chop. I can't say if the Eliza is the same, but if it's similarly well thought out, it should prove to be a nice boat.

Paddling.net has a nice buyer's guide (http://www.paddling.net/buyersguide/Kayaks.html?refer=HP_KAYAK&PHPSESSID=e95c4aa7ff111e583111b4b8fffe2cdf). You can check that out and be overwhelmed with options!

Good luck!

eta: Oh, and I also sprung for a carbon paddle...I love it! Lightweight and stiff. Awesome!

lph
09-25-2008, 01:20 AM
Oooo - so today I get to drive for 2 hours (:eek:) to try out the Catalina... I hope I like it... I hope I don't tip over... I hope it fits my dh! I'm trying to rationalize it by thinking that the rest of the family can use it too :rolleyes:

Thank you for the good info. I think the Catalina is a "better" boat than the Eliza, Prijon uses an extremely sturdy, hard plastic for their boats and are well thought of. But I may conceivably be getting a little ahead of myself in wanting a "fast, nimble" boat. I just don't want to end up buying a boat I'll outgrow within a year. But if it's a little too unstable it may not be good for the rambling look-here-and-there-photography trips I also want to do...

arr, so much to think about. I think the offer on the Catalina is good enough that I can end up selling it used for almost the same price, if it doesn't work out.

Thanks for listening ;)

Badgirl
09-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Wish I could help but all our kayaks are sit-on-tops. Def let us know how your test paddle goes.

lph
09-25-2008, 01:23 PM
I went and bought it :D I'm not very patient... After a 2 hour drive to test paddle it, I was ready to buy anything that didn't physically pitch me out. The Catalina is a surprisingly plain boat, the finish is matte, the decals are a bit garish and the bow is straight, not upswept, so even though it's quite narrow and sleek it looks, well, a bit ugly. But that's ok, I may lust after the shiny bling stuff but I do much better with plain functional stuff. And it's very functional. The hatches are very good, easy to open and solid waterproof, the rudder is huge and works excellently with very good pedals once I got them dialed in. The fit is very snug. That's what I get for all that cycling - difficulty fitting my thighs below deck :eek: My skinny longlegged dh fit better! But I can carve a bit out of the thigh braces if I want to. I can also sit with my knees up out of the cockpit if I don't need the bracing. The paddle I borrowed was very different from the one I've used recently so I couldn't really get the boat up to speed. It's said to be "fast", but I did notice the downside of that - it turns like a plank. So I tossed a little Newcastle Brown Ale over the bow once I got it home and christened it "Plank" :D

Since it's narrow it's also a little more tippy than the extremely stable beginner boats I've tried so far, but not uncomfortably so, just that if I lean over the boat will keep leaning until it, presumably, goes around. But it's easy to right up again.

So I have a kayak! W00t! :p

tulip
09-26-2008, 06:28 AM
COOL! A kayak is way up on my list, but still below a kitchen for my house (that starts next week). IF (and that's a big IF) I have any money left over, I'm going to buy myself a kayak. I've had my eye on the Wilderness Systems Tempest 165 for a few years. It's the one I like to paddle the most. Congratulations!

Badgirl
09-26-2008, 08:29 AM
Congrats on the new boat!

lph
10-12-2008, 12:08 PM
*snort* tried out my new baby today, and ran into a really awful patch of neverending super-shallow siltbank on the river, and after trying to no avail to paddle or push myself out of it I just gave up. So po'ed I won't even look up :D

madscot13
10-12-2008, 01:57 PM
if you are too upset with your kayak, I know a little girl who would be willing to take if off your hands.

or you can wait for the melting of the ice caps...

redrhodie
10-12-2008, 03:23 PM
It looks like you're taking your pet kayak for a walk :D

withm
10-12-2008, 03:27 PM
LOL! pet kayak! I love that!

We've all been there. Sometimes all the "ooomph" you can muster won't get you off a sandbar. Just look at it as practice for a portage.

Blueberry
10-12-2008, 03:36 PM
*snort* tried out my new baby today, and ran into a really awful patch of neverending super-shallow siltbank on the river, and after trying to no avail to paddle or push myself out of it I just gave up. So po'ed I won't even look up :D

Did you get some paddling anyway? Most of the places we paddle are tidal, and when the tide is low, you get stuck every 10 feet it seems:rolleyes::rolleyes:

CA

lph
10-13-2008, 12:48 AM
It was a great trip really, no need to complain :) Not far from where I live two slow rivers run together and into a largish lake, and there are lots of meandering loops and delta islands to paddle in and around. Lots of birds in the spring, now just gaggles of geese practicing for their big departure. We paddled straight out and crossed the first river, turned upstream to get above the largest island, found a really beautiful narrow river "arm" running parallell downstream again, and then got stuck on the silt flats trying to cross back again. The wind had picked up too so we got some choppy waves going back, nothing large at all but it was good to get a little feel for what waves feel like in a not absolutely rock-stable kayak. As long as I used a little power heading into the waves it felt great. I like my kayak :)

lph
10-13-2008, 08:59 AM
PS. Just in case anyone is considering a Prijon kayak - the thigh braces are large and sturdy, and I could not for the life of me get them aligned up to fit my leg. Basically, when I was sitting my thighs were angled out with my knee as the outermost point (logical, ja?), but the thigh braces were slightly angled inward. So however I moved the seat back and forth or the braces back and forth I could just achieve more or less of the brace squeezing my thigh and making my leg go numb in the long run.

So I just chucked them out. Bingo! Perfect fit :)

I may glue in som foam padding or something but so far the extra room to bend my knee feels perfect.

Trigress
10-13-2008, 10:41 AM
I have to ask where this was, though? Alna? No? Øyeren? Øyeren would fit the description, we used to have a boat there when I was little, and one person had to watch the water for new banks as they kept changing. The sound of a boat trip on Øyern was pretty much like this:

vrrrrroooooammm-thud! (followed by ten minutes of digging the boat out of the silt)-vrrrrroooooammm-thud!

To be repeated.

lph
10-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Øyeren it was :) Here's a picture from before I got stranded:

OakLeaf
10-13-2008, 04:23 PM
it's also a little more tippy than the extremely stable beginner boats I've tried so far

There's primary stability (when you lean, does the boat lean?) and secondary stability (how far do you have to lean to capsize the boat?). Often boats with less primary stability are actually less prone to capsize.

Don't skimp on the paddle... it's like the wheels of your bike, you will notice weight and flexiness there more than anywhere.

Have fun! :D

TBird
10-13-2008, 08:03 PM
This is great—so many of you have been helpful as I shop for my first road bike. Now I can return the favor with something I know a bit about!

LPH, it sounds like you’re having fun with your new boat—fabulous. What now feels “tippy” will soon feel “playful” and “responsive,” so be psyched about your purchase.( I think a lot of people buy slow, ultra-stable boats—which is just fine—but soon grow bored of them as they get more comfortable in the sport.) It’s not so different than cycling—performance often equals skittish when you’re starting out.

As for turning, a narrow boat with a fair amount of vee in the hull (the “tippy” part) will turn just fine, you just need to get accustomed to using your hips as well as your paddle. As OakLeaf noted, your boat probably has better secondary stability than primary stability. Don’t be afraid to lean it on edge a bit. The vee in your hull is designed to help the boat track straight, so you need to get it off that vee to turn it well. But I still love the name Plank…

And that gets back to your comments about thigh braces and general fitting. You want to be rather tight in your boat—as paddlers say, you wear a boat, you don’t sit in it. Properly fit, thigh braces will splay your legs out to the side and hold you in place along your inner thigh. And as you mention, good old foam is great for custom-fitting. I use some alongside both hips, as well as under my thighs. That helps my legs from falling asleep when I paddle for extended periods.

Whew, sorry about the long post! Hope that helps and that you’re getting great time on the water.

lph
10-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Oh, I'm psyched alright :D But not quite ready to test out how far I can lean before I capsize. I'm not worried I won't be able to do a wet exit, it's just that the water is so darned cold now... I know, I should have tried it first thing, now it's either an unplanned capsize or wait til next summer. I try to lean my boat a little but I'm not sure it's even a visible tilt :rolleyes:

I tried paddling yesterday without the thigh braces and with the seat pushed all the way back, and it was (almost) a huge improvement. I'd pushed the seat too far back so that the backrest tilted slightly forward, which was ok for.. er, "aggressive" paddling.. but gave me a helluva sore back after an hour. And I'd yanked the footrests as close to me as I could to get a snug fit, which was a tad much so my butt started going numb after a while. So now the seat's a bit forward, the backrest is in a more neutral position, and the footrest is close enough that my lower thigh is snug against the deck but not squashed in. In fact I got a snugger fit without the thigh braces. Can't wait to get out and try it again :)

Paddles: I've tried simple plastic (?) flat-bladed paddles before, at the local paddling club, and I've tried two very lightweight carbon wing paddles, one with a very large blade (competition paddle I think) and one "teaspoon" with a bit too small a blade. ATM I'm testing a couple of two-piece flat-bladed paddles that a friend of mine is selling - a VKV that I didn't like much and a Werner Shuna that I think I like a lot. I'm prepared to sink a little cash into a good "engine", but geez louise these things are expensive!

Yet another shot, from yesterday's lake paddling, can't resist :) (Trigress, this is Mønevann). That's a thermos flask of coffee and a box of chocolate chip cookies under the net ;)

tulip
10-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Wow, that's beautiful. I've paddled in Alaska, and I'd love to paddle in Norway, too. Right now, I'm happy with the Chesapeake Bay on a borrowed sit-on-top. I still have my eye out for a Wilderness Systems Tempest 165 when I recover from this house renovation. Perhaps I'll have saved up enough by next summer; I hope so.

TBird, you hit it right when you said it's like wearing a kayak. Much like fitting a bike, I'd say. I've tried several kayaks, and fit is really important. One was just too big that when I did rolls and rescues (in my kayak classes), I simply fell out! I have much to learn about paddles, though.

Have a wonderful time on the water, lph.

crazycanuck
11-07-2008, 04:19 AM
I had a peek at entry level kayaks today :). I suppose i could put the $ towards a new bike but I wanted another challenge. Well, that & one day I might do the kayak leg of the Blackwood Marathon or Anaconda or if i'm crazy..The Avon Descent :eek: (it's a 2 day event..)

Anywho, I would like to do both river & ocean kayaking. So I visited Mainpeak http://www.paddle.com.au and had a peek at thier Finn kayak range. (http://www.finnkayaks.com)

It's almost like buying a new bike!! :o I have no idea where to start & what questions to ask next...

lph
03-08-2009, 01:45 PM
hee - first pool training, first time upside down in a kayak, a couple of weeks ago and I just received some pics. So this is what upside down underwater desperately attempting a roll looks like :D

I did manage to do successive rolls after a while, w00t!

solobiker
03-08-2009, 02:36 PM
congrats!!! I love to roll my Kayak. I will do it for fun or just to cool off.:D

lph
04-09-2009, 09:39 AM
waaaaah! :( :( My kayak just melted out from under the snow, where she's been hibernating upside down propped on a bench at either end, and there's a huge deformed part under the middle. The entire floor of the cockpit now bends upwards, and the kayak has a noticeable v-shape the wrong way...

I've been told that hot water, buckets of it, inside the kayak will help reshape it, but if anybody could ease my soul and salve my guilty conscience by telling me that this will work out juuust fine - please do. Pleaaaaase. :eek:

Cataboo
04-09-2009, 09:52 AM
LPH, the kayak'll probably be okay - some warm sun on it will help as well.

Any time my kayaks have gotten bows or mishapen, they've lost the shape fairly quickly. One of them is a prijon. (strapped to a roof rack in 95 degree heat tends to make 'em a bit wonky shape.

Pour in some water, and definitely turn the kayak over so that your bulge can fall out of it. The weight of the water & the heat should help.

Just don't expect things to fix themselves immediately - it probably took a while for that bulge to get created, and it may take a while for it to work itself out.

You could contact prijon and see if they have any suggestions.

Cataboo
04-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Deformed plastic kayak.

Improper storage or transportation of a plastic boat can potentially distort the shape of the hull on your boat. If your kayak does become the victim of slight distortion, correction is a simple process. Brief exposure to the heat of the sun is often all it takes to restore the hull to its original shape. If that doesn't work, the hull can usually be restored by applying heat to the outside of the boat with a hair dryer or other low-heat source such as a 75-watt light bulb. When the hull is pliable enough, it can be pushed back in shape by hand. Be careful not to overheat the hull as you might get burned or damage the hull. A weight can be placed inside the boat against the warped area to help maintain the shape of the hull as it cools. Although cooling normally occurs quickly, we recommend that you allow up to 24 hours to ensure that the process is completed. A kayak that is used in normal conditions will receive scratches, especially on the bottom of the hull. Scratches do not alter the boat's structural integrity or navigational capabilities and should be of no concern.

http://www.roscocanoes.com.au/FAQ%60s/Care%20%20Repair/Kayak%20owners%20manual-243.aspx

Plastic Kayaks.
Scratches are impossible to remove from polyethylene by sanding and polishing. If the hull is deeply gouged or punctured, it will have to be welded with polyethylene. In such a case, we recommend that you contact us for advice.

If a plastic kayak has become deformed, place it in direct sunlight for a few days. Polyethylene is a memory compound that tends to return to its original shape. The gentle heat from the sunshine will likely soften to material and help the plastic return to its manufactured shape.

However, if this process is not successful, it may be because the deformation has been present for too long a time. The following procedure will need to be followed:

1. Place the kayak upright on foam blocks positioned about 1/3 of the length of the kayak between the bow and stern. The blocks should follow the hull contours as much as possible. The blocks should each have a contact area of about 6 inches.
2. Pour about 5 gallons of very hot water in through the cockpit opening.
3. Leave for about 10 minutes.
4. Then press out the bumps or deformations in the hull with your hands. If necessary to access to the bumps, remove the seat.
5. Leave the water in the kayak for about two hours in order for it to press down on the hull. Then carefully drain the kayak.

lph
04-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks catriona! I'm hoping this will work once we get a sunny day.

Cataboo
04-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Let us know how it works out. I just leave mine on the floor of the garage.

You might want to try storing it differently next winter. Maybe add a middle support if you have that, or just set it on the ground with some wood spaced out evenly underneath it.

lph
04-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Oh yeah, this boat is definitely coming indoors next winter!

We have a small apartment with a tiny shed outdoors full of skis and 4-5 bikes, and just a parking space in a large parking facility, so no room here, but if I can't get a place at the kayak club I'm fixing some kind of hooks above the car at our parking spot.

Cataboo
04-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Excellent - how do you like your catalina? I'm 5'1, so I usually find that the prijons are just a bit too big for me - but I haven't tried that one & it looks like it's for smaller people. I used to have a prijon yukon expedition way back whenever - sold it for something easier to carry myself, then eventually got a prijon excursion tandem - which ended up just being massive and a reason to argue with whoever was in the other cockpit.

Now we've got a prijon barracuda & a perception avatar - The former is a very fast barge, while the latter is pretty nimble and turns on a dime - which means it doesn't really track all that well, except if I take out into waves where it suddenly becomes amazingly stable and fun.

lph
04-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Very snug indeed :D I'm 1,66 m, forget how tall that is in feet. A friend bought one for her teenage kids, so it's quite small.

lph
04-10-2009, 12:25 PM
I don't really believe my own eyes yet, but a few hours belly-up in the sun magically changed the kayak's shape from v-shaped "the wrong way" to normal and significantly reduced the dent, and after a few more hours while we were away the entire deformation was gone! Hooray for warm sun and memory plastic! :D :D

Cataboo
04-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Excellent!

that's much less work than pouring in hot water.

tulip
04-10-2009, 02:56 PM
I still have my eye out for a Wilderness Systems Tempest 165 when I recover from this house renovation. Perhaps I'll have saved up enough by next summer; I hope so.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! [snort] Did I really say that? Yeah, right...:rolleyes::(

Another summer of borrowed kayaking. Oh well.

Cataboo
04-10-2009, 03:26 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA! [snort] Did I really say that? Yeah, right...:rolleyes::(

Another summer of borrowed kayaking. Oh well.

Borrowed kayaking is less expensive and takes up less storage space. There's advantages

Zen
06-22-2009, 02:25 PM
OK then. Let me borrow your kayak :)

Cataboo
06-22-2009, 03:09 PM
OK then. Let me borrow your kayak :)

haha. Kalidurga would not like me letting you out on the flooded rivers around here :)

I can grab the bf's boat & take it over here if you wanna go kayaking sometime. I've gotta go on the monocacy sometime & see if either boat's suited for it - both are long so aren't great for shallow or rapids.

tulip
06-25-2009, 09:54 AM
Borrowed kayaking is less expensive and takes up less storage space. There's advantages

But the one I borrow is not the one I want to paddle. It's a sit-on-top, and I really have my heart set on a (used) Wilderness Systems Tempest 165. I've found one on sale or $900, but that's $900 more than I have to spend on toys these days, so it'll have to wait.

You're right, the SOT is just fine and I have a great time out on the water. I'm thankful to have access to water.

Cataboo
06-25-2009, 10:28 AM
Check out appomatox river company in the fall.... I've had good luck buying boats from them in their farmville store. They once sold me a brand new $2,000 MSRP tandem for $1200 in the fall. I ended up selling that boat on, but it was a great price for a serious tandem. They do sell used boats and demo boats as well.

I completely get why you'd be frustrated in a sit on top, but at least you're on the water. Watch your craigslist, norfolk's craigslist and charlottesville's craigslist.... Things sell cheaper on richmond's craigslist than DC's. When I was living in Richmond, I bought a 14 foot perception catalina off charlottesville's craigslist for $300.... Was it the boat that I ultimately wanted? No, but it was $300 and good enough to paddle around in & have fun, relatively lightweight. When I got to the point that I was going to be touring, doing open water crossings, dealing with waves, and needed a faster boat to keep up with the person I was paddling with, etc., I found a better boat at a good price, the catalina got sold for $300 & I bought the next boat.

I still don't have the boat I ultimately want - but I've got one that I love in certain conditions and absolutely curse in other conditions. But it does what I want it to do... now if it was a foot or so longer, I'd be thrilled :) And if I buy a new boat or the bf ever finishes the boat he's building me, I'm still keeping my avatar around. I can already tell looking at the shape of the boat the bf's building that I'm really going to hate it in certain conditions - but I'm going to be able to fill it up with a ton of gear.

tulip
06-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Catriona, I didn't know you used to live in Richmond. That's cool! I love it here, such a nicer pace than DC, where I lived for six years. I'm one mile from the calm part of the James downstream from downtown, and I also have access to a house on the Chesapeake Bay, where I currently paddle the SOT.

I'm very familiar with the Appomatox store. I'm not a fan of Craigs List, but I'll check it from time-to-time. There's another outfitter in Mathews that has a good selection of used boats, and they have demo days in the fall. I definitely would want to demo any boat that I'm considering. I've paddled some that are just too big (wide) me and it's difficult to brace and roll in them. I end up falling out, which is better than getting stuck, but not ideal.

Thanks for the tips!

Cataboo
06-25-2009, 10:50 AM
I lived in richmond about 5-6 years.

I actually like it up in Frederick more than I liked Richmond - but maybe that's cause I was just always at school when down in richmond. Food choices, I liked richmond's variety of absolute hole in the walls. Neither of them have good vietnamese food, however.

I've done reasonably well at buying & selling things on craigslist, but it can be a bit of work and you need to be informed.

SOunds like you've got a good idea of what you want in a boat... You can use foam to pad out a wider boat to make it fit you better for rolling and less falling out, but yeah, I hate wider boats myself. I just think it's better to have something & be using it/making do than not doing something at all because you don't have the right or perfect equipment yet - but I'm more particular that my bike has to be perfect than I am that my kayak has to be perfect (probably 'cause I know depending on whether I'm in waves or wind or flat water, I really want a different style of boat and I can't force a boat to morph. )

You could slowly start acquiring accessories when you see them on sale in preparation for eventually having your own kayak.

Zen
06-25-2009, 10:57 AM
I completely get why you'd be frustrated in a sit on top,

So you want me to get one for the schadenfreude?

Cataboo
06-25-2009, 11:19 AM
So you want me to get one for the schadenfreude?

You want to paddle along the monocacy or over at the wild goose chase. I don't think you'd be trying to roll a kayak if you got one (tulip's wanting to roll & brace). If you got to a wave with your kayak, I think instead of trying to surf the wave, you'd be using your brakes the entire time :)

But lots of people love sit on tops. But those are usually people who just want to be on the water, enjoy it, see wildlife, maybe surf a lot of waves ('cause they're great for that), have it be convenient, maybe fish.

I'm just gonna shut up now.

Cataboo
06-25-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm also gonna point out that they do make serious sit on top kayaks:
http://www.rei.com/product/785481

among others. You can get fiberglass ones, if you're doing kayaking in the surf zone or waves, there's a lot of advantages to sit on tops - and a lot of the extreme surf kayakers use them.

tulip
06-25-2009, 12:27 PM
I'm going to the Outer Banks in July and the house we're renting has kayaks, apparently. I've never surfed with a kayak, and I'm really excited to try. I'm pretty sure they are recreational SOTs, which is fine with me for surfing. There are also awesome marshes, so I expect I'll get out and do some serious birdwatching, which SOTs are also great for.

Cataboo
06-25-2009, 12:34 PM
I rented a tandem sit on top in Hawaii to visit some islands once - it was great for what we were doing, what wasn't great was the guy that I was with who was terrified of water and waves who freaked out anytime i rocked the boat.

make sure to get a current map and/or have a GPS when you're exploring those marshes... I know that area of coast/wetlands remaps itself every hurricane season and it's really important to have an updated map.

As someone that once spent 20 hours paddling in a salt marsh looking for a camp ground - I will continue to stress - have a gps and a good map.

I will also stress - have lots of bug spray. If those marshes are anything like the ones on the Virginia barrier islands or on Assateague, the mosquitos are absolutely vicious and do bite you continuously for 20 hours even if you spray yourself with DEET every 10 minutes. Picaridin based bug sprays work better and won't melt the plastic on your boat or paddle.

It's been a long time since I've paddled down in the outer banks - so I can't really remember anything else about down there, but I'd just rented a kayak for a couple hours when I was down there, I wasn't paddling back then.

I'm gonna go explore the virginia barrier islands this weekend. Going to paddle out to Mockhorn island, camp out & use it as a base to explore more of them.

http://www.sherpaguides.com/chesapeake_bay/maps/virginia_coast_reserve_large.gif

Zen
06-26-2009, 08:05 AM
I'm gonna go explore the virginia barrier islands this weekend. Going to paddle out to Mockhorn island, camp out & use it as a base to explore more of them.

http://www.sherpaguides.com/chesapeake_bay/maps/virginia_coast_reserve_large.gif

I am so jealous.
I know I don't need to remind you to take photos.

Cataboo
06-26-2009, 08:14 AM
ha. You probably won't be when I tell you how many mosquito bites, ticks, and horse fly bites I have at the end of this weekend.

if you're lucky, I'll show you 'em next week.

Cataboo
06-26-2009, 11:19 AM
I just got this email:

Appomattox River Company
Independance Day Special
Kayak, paddle and PFD for only $349.00 (We can't say which kayak this is because the manufacturer would be mad at us for our low price.)
Stop by one of our stores for details or call (800) 442-4837
Our Midlothian and Kiln Creek stores will be closed on the 4th of July but our Farmville store will be open from 9 am til 1pm.

Zen, I'll make you suffer through all my photos. hopefully I will find a few flowers to take pics of to torture you with.

I'm debating whether to put a long zoom on the slr & take it with in a pelican case to try to get bird pics. but mostly that will just result in me being very paranoid about my baby. And having a big clunky thing on my deck. Things on my deck irritate me. And I'm not sure my zoom is fast enough that I can hold it in a kayak in waves at 500 mm and get a good bird shot, and not fry my camera with salt water.

Zen
06-26-2009, 05:15 PM
I just spent $100 on a new derailleur so there is no kayak in my near future.

Cataboo
06-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Ugh... The aurora? was the derailleur actually bad or were you just upgrading?

Rear or front? and what level did you put on?

Zen
06-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Ugh... The aurora? was the derailleur actually bad or were you just upgrading?

That, I don't know. What I do know is the new 105 is sublime.

Cataboo
07-01-2009, 08:45 AM
steepandcheap.com's got a not bad paddle for reasonably cheap right now this second. carbon fiber & lightweight. $74 + shipping

lph
09-19-2009, 11:55 PM
I'm in love with kayaking at the moment. Haven't used my own that much, because my job has moved to a new building right next to the ocean - and 2 minutes from the kayak club :D w00t! :D - so I've been using the club boats recently. But yesterday I took my red plastic baby (that sounded funny but you know what I mean) out for a paddle on the local river.

...*sigh*... I love kayaking. Did I already say that? I am so happy I can do that as a regular activity now and not just on vacation.

Pics form the river here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=122980&id=659276922&l=bd32aff8ea

Oh, and some pics from the ocean here):
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3015555&l=bd8bf5db4e&id=659276922
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3015557&l=997f9137a0&id=659276922
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3015559&l=7fc21b7b52&id=659276922
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3045883&l=2d03cae41c&id=659276922

I love kayaking :p

divingbiker
09-20-2009, 05:05 AM
I love kayaking :p

Me, too.:)

While we were paddling around a reservoir today, 7rider and I were talking about how lucky you are to be able to kayak before work and how beautiful the picture you posted in the commuting thread was.

Kayaking is so fun, and I thank Kalidurga and 7rider for introducing me to it.

Cataboo
09-20-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm putting my boat on the car in a few, so I can take my brother kayaking.

I also love kayaking :)

tulip
09-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Me, too!

wannaduacentury
09-25-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm also gonna point out that they do make serious sit on top kayaks:
http://www.rei.com/product/785481

among others. You can get fiberglass ones, if you're doing kayaking in the surf zone or waves, there's a lot of advantages to sit on tops - and a lot of the extreme surf kayakers use them.

I'm very glad to have stumbled across this thread. I've been wondering about a sit on top kayak and wondered how good they were? I know I don't want an enclosed one. This would be for open lake, calm river paddling. new exploration. jenn

Cataboo
09-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Jenn, if you go over to paddler.net or paddling.net (I always get it wrong), they have a lot of reviews of sit on tops.... Definitely they do make some serious boats that are sit on tops, and if you're in the surf zone or something like that, sometimes it's an advantage to have a boat that won't fill with water and it's easy to get back into if you're pitched out.

You can definitely do what you want to do in a sit on top kayak... as for how good they are, that's sort of a question of how fast do you want to go and what sit on top you're going to get... sorta the same debate you get between a rec boat and a sea kayak when you're looking for an enclosed kayak... Sit on tops can be a much wetter ride, but unlike rec boats without bulkheads, they don't need airbags for additional floatation, so you don't have to worry about the boat potentially sinking if you get flipped in the middle of a lake or open water.