PDA

View Full Version : Bike D.C. this Saturday

7rider
09-23-2008, 04:21 PM
From WABA (http://www.waba.org/):

WABA wants to remind you that........

Bike DC is back!

On September 27th, 2008 you can enjoy a 17 mile car-free community bike ride through Washington, DC.

This is the final week to register so be sure to sign up today.
Registration (http://www.bikedc.net/registration.html)
or visit www.BikeDC.net (http://www.bikedc.net/) today to learn more.

Washington DC is an exceptional city with outstanding opportunities for cycling. Bike DC will be a celebration of our unique community and the joy of bicycling.

Bike DC is a noncompetitive, community bike ride through 17 car-free miles of Washington, DC. The route is designed to be enjoyed by experienced riders, novices and families. So that participants may fully appreciate the adventure of cycling on car free city streets, Bike DC is a ride, not a race.

Volunteer:
This event would not be made possible without the help and support of volunteers. Bike DC is looking for volunteers to help with rest stops, ride marshaling, and mechanical support as well as for ride leaders of the post-Bike DC guided bike tours. Interested? E-mail Volunteers@BikeDC.net or call (202) 558-7401 to volunteer today.

Help us spread the word. Please forward this e-mail to your friends.

The Washington Area Bicyclist Association is the beneficiary of Bike DC and a portion of the proceeds go to assist WABA's efforts to bring better biking to your community. As a WABA member you can receive a $5 discount off the registration fee. Simply enter the discount code WABA927 when prompted during the online registration process. For more information about WABA, please visit www.waba.org.

Zen
09-23-2008, 04:36 PM
So does this cancel out our CandO ride?

I haven't been to the site yet but it sounds good.

What time does Metro open?

madscot13
09-23-2008, 04:51 PM
not until about 7 on weekends

7rider
09-23-2008, 05:34 PM
So does this cancel out our CandO ride?

I haven't been to the site yet but it sounds good.

What time does Metro open?

C&O ride is supposed to be on Sunday, b/c DB has her kayak lesson on Saturday. Which brings up another question I'll ask in a thread for the make-up ride.

Kalidurga
09-24-2008, 03:12 AM
Hmmm. I had plans to head down to the National Book Festival on Saturday for a Neil Gaiman reading. Now I may have to leave earlier and take my bike...

Kalidurga
09-24-2008, 08:19 AM
After looking more closely at the site, I think I definitely want to do this. The start/finish is close to the Mall, so it'll be a quick pedal down to the Book Fest after the ride's done. Thanks for the info, Regina, I hadn't heard about it.

Anyone else?

Also, I didn't realize Metro's website had a whole section for Bike'n'Ride (http://www.wmata.com/riding/bike/index.cfm) now. Pretty cool.

divingbiker
09-24-2008, 08:27 AM
I wish I didn't have the conflict with the kayak lesson. The bike ride sounds fun, especially since the streets are closed.

Kalidurga
09-24-2008, 09:30 AM
That's what happens when you go multi-sport ;) I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun at the kayak lesson, though.

Zen
09-24-2008, 03:16 PM
AAAAAACCCCCCKKKKKKK!!!

ACTIVITY OVERLOAD!

withm
09-24-2008, 03:28 PM
I wish I didn't have the conflict with the kayak lesson. The bike ride sounds fun, especially since the streets are closed.

DB - I think you should reschedule the kayak lesson. All they are gonna do is show you some strokes that you probably already know, and tell you why you can not/should not take boats with large cockpits and no bulkheads into big water.

You already know how to paddle. Go ride your bike on streets without cars. It will be like ice skating right after the Zamboni does its thing. Wheee!

madscot13
09-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Better than that. It is like when the zamboni has just finished and the hockey players are off of the ice.

Zen
09-24-2008, 03:51 PM
You going, Mad?

Possegal
09-24-2008, 04:18 PM
I might have to check this out. I wanted to last year and I forget why I didn't. I just hope the rain they are forecasting for Saturday doesn't happen.

Kalidurga
09-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Actually, DB, isnt' this the class in which you'll learn how to self-rescue? Never a bad thing, to know how to heave yourself back into a 'yak. Even if you never tip your boat, knowing how to get back in just in case can definitely increase your confidence level. Not to mention, it's fun to practice.

The bike ride sounds like it might become an annual thing, so you could possibly do it next year. And, with the chance of rain on Saturday, which would you rather have get wet: your bike or your kayak?

divingbiker
09-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Actually, DB, isnt' this the class in which you'll learn how to self-rescue? Never a bad thing, to know how to heave yourself back into a 'yak. Even if you never tip your boat, knowing how to get back in just in case can definitely increase your confidence level. Not to mention, it's fun to practice.

The bike ride sounds like it might become an annual thing, so you could possibly do it next year. And, with the chance of rain on Saturday, which would you rather have get wet: your bike or your kayak?

Everything you said is the absolute truth.:D:D:p

madscot13
09-24-2008, 04:49 PM
yep I am going. no team ride this saturday.

Kalidurga
09-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Well, then, do those of who aren't kayaking or otherwise engaged want to meet somewhere?

madscot13
09-24-2008, 05:03 PM
game plan? I have never been to the book fair.

Kalidurga
09-25-2008, 02:57 AM
I haven't been to the book fair before, either. But Neil Gaiman (http://www.neilgaiman.com/)'s reading from his new book in the young adult/children's tent and I really want to go to that.

They're now calling for a 50% chance of rain on Saturday morning, of course, so now I don't know what I'm going to do about the bike ride 'cause I have no rain gear. I think I'm going to stare at the weather reports and debate it between now and tomorrow when the early registration closes. Blah :rolleyes:

Zen
09-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Due to weather uncertainty, the day-of registration price bump has been waived:)

I have an extra, cheapie, rain jacket if anyone wants to borrow one.

Kalidurga
09-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Due to weather uncertainty, the day-of registration price bump has been waived:)

I have an extra, cheapie, rain jacket if anyone wants to borrow one.

I may take you up on that rain jacket offer, but I'm going to wait and decide on Friday. The question is just how chilly will I get sitting in damp clothing for an hour in an outdoor tent after the ride...

madscot13
09-27-2008, 09:58 AM
did you sillies chicken out because of the supposed rain?

Zen
09-27-2008, 10:13 AM
It was raining here :o
i would have had to get up at four AM to get on the road by six to make it to metro by seven.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Kalidurga
09-27-2008, 04:16 PM
I bagged the bike ride, but did stand in line for 4 hours to get a signed copy of Gaiman's new book. Talk about schizophrenic weather--- Half of that time I was squinting in sunshine, the other half it was pouring down rain. Just before I finally got to the front of the line, it stopped raining and a rainbow formed with one end running right into the Capitol building. Irony, huh?

Did you ride, Mad?

Zen
09-27-2008, 04:22 PM
a rainbow formed with one end running right into the Capitol building. Irony, huh?

A big steaming bowl full:rolleyes: