PDA

View Full Version : The Grouse Grind!

LBTC
09-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Wow! In North Vancouver, BC, there is a trail called the Grouse Grind. Here are the stats:
Length: 2.9 kilometres (1.8 miles)
Elevation Gain: 853 metres (2,800 feet)
- Base: 274 metres above sea level (900 feet)
- Summit: 1,127 metres (3,700 feet)
- Total Stairs: 2,830
Statistics: Annually, over 100,000 people hike the Grind™.
Average Time: On average it takes up to an hour and a half to complete the hike.
For novice hikers, up to two hours is recommended.

and a link for more info: http://www.grousemountain.com/Summer/summer-activities/vancouver-bc-hiking-trails-trips/grouse-grind.asp

We live a 4 hour drive away, so we don't get the chance to do it often. In fact, DH and I did this for the first time almost exactly a year ago, to celebrate our 19th wedding anniversary. Well, this weekend, we did it again!

Last year, while I was still on the mend from my mysterious internal illness, I completed the hike in 1 hour 20 minutes. DH did it in 59 minutes.

This year, I had a goal to complete it in less than one hour, and DH wanted to do it in 50 minutes. It feels so wonderful to surpass our goals!!!

I had a time of 53 minutes!!! :D:D:o DH had a time of 47 minutes!!!:D:cool:

So now we are thinking this will be an annual thing with a new goal each year. I think next year / next time I'll try for 50 minutes or less. Yahoooo!!

Hugs and butterflies,
~T~

Grog
09-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Cool! I've been meaning to do it ever since I first came to Vancouver four years ago and it has yet to happen. I considered taking my parents there last week but I'm afraid that would have been a bit much for my dad's joints. They must be closing soon, aren't they? I guess I should hurry up, or postpone the project again.

Congrats on the great times!

Last year there was a relay 10K that included the Grind. I wonder if it's still around... It raised funds for "alternative" cancer charities (research that's more oriented towards the chemical causes than the chemical cures)...

ETA: It's 16K, and it's "Rethink Breast Cancer," and it's over for this year, but perhaps TE women could come up with a team for next year? http://www.grousemountain.com/Events/eventitem07050901.asp

Crankin
09-24-2008, 05:14 AM
My friends, who are serious cyclists, did this climb last year. They both said it was extremely challenging!

LBTC
09-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Grog, go up there and do it! You'll love it!! :) Hopefully you can find a team for the relay - it sounds pretty cool.

Crankin, yes, it is challenging - all those stairs and rocks and all that elevation - it really gets your HR going! It was GREAT fun!

Hugs and butterflies,
~T~