PDA

View Full Version : Foot cramps from shoes?

renie
05-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Hi, I'm a runner/swimmer who started spinning a few months ago and love it. Lately, I've been getting severe toe cramps and am wondering if it's because I am wearing my running shoes (with thin socks) and orthotics. Do spin shoes really make a difference?

trigurl
05-06-2005, 08:12 AM
I never got toe cramps! that is strange, you might want to try bike shoes, I love mine they DO make a difference, do the spin bikes have the toe strap or the clip? I really like the clip now I am used to them.

fixedgeargirl
05-06-2005, 08:34 AM
Cycling/spinning shoes can make a huge difference. They offer a stiff platform for efficient transference of effort from leg through foot to shoe to pedal. They allow your foot to relax and transfer that power that's being generated higher up. Your feet may be tensing up trying to *grip* or stay flat while you are wearing shoes designed to flex, the exact opposite of what a cycling shoe does. Do you do "body checks" in the course of your spin class? As you're spinning along through a section of the class, check in with your feet, see if you feel your toes trying to grip. This could help you zero in on the problem.

renie
05-06-2005, 12:30 PM
So, you're saying my toes should NOT grip? Pardon the newbie spinner. :confused: I will look into the shoes. Thanks for the great info! If you have any recommendations, that'd be great.

fixedgeargirl
05-11-2005, 09:20 AM
You got it right, toes should NOT grip. Your feet should be relaxed, transferring the power of your hips, glutes, etc. to the pedals. I wear my mtb shoes to spin class, so can't give a specific recommendation as to shoes. Generally, you want something with a stiff mid-sole/sole and a "walkable" bottom. You can get "spin specific" shoes, but any proper bike shoe with a treaded, not slippery sole will do. That is to say, if you find a pair of mtb shoes on sale that fit, get 'em! Then you have the choice of whether to get cleats or not...a whole other topic.

RoadRaven
05-13-2005, 07:56 PM
I have no opinion on using running shoes for cycling, as I don't run

However, I do find bits of my feet can cramp or lock into a "pins'n'needles" mode.
I find if I wriggle my toes every now and again I can mostly avoid it... but if I am really focussed then I forget to wriggle before the discomfort hits

Good luck