PDA

View Full Version : Accolades to all who ride again

LBTC
09-16-2008, 11:46 AM
If you're one of the (too many) women here who have been in an accident on your bike and you've gotten back on that bike and ridden again, I applaud you!! I can barely imagine the strength of will and courage it took you to get out and ride again (let alone recover from your injuries)!

I have always thought so, but now I understand so much better how it may have felt.

On Sunday both my DH and I had a near miss. Riding fast down a winding downhill country road, I was suddenly passed by a quad cab pickup on an outside corner. It was close enough with just the truck diving back in in front of me, that it was scary, but he was also pulling a boat on a trailer, which dove in even closer to me! I am still amazed that there was no contact and I managed to not hit the soft gravel shoulder! I was nervous, scared, teary-eyed only to watch him catch up to my DH! I could see the truck and trailer very close behind him, and, thankfully for my sanity, I did not actually see the pass. Yes, the driver did exactly the same thing to DH, and, miraculously, he also managed to stay upright and on the road.

Edited to add: FWIW, I was going over 56kph and DH was probably going faster. Since the speed limit is 60kph, I don't understand why he needed to pass me in such a hurry!

DH tried to catch up to the driver to have words about what he'd done, but the driver high-tailed it to the highway turnoff. DH was able to see that there was a company logo on the back door, but couldn't read it. We'll be watching for that truck and logo and contacting them if we ever see it.

By the time I caught up to DH, I was basically hysterical. I was crying and hyperventilating. He thought I had just seen the pass on him, but when he realized the guy did it to me, too, he jumped into consolation overdrive. There we were on the corner of the highway, his arms around me as I was crying and shaking and trying to recover a semblance of calm.

A farm truck pulled up beside us and the older gentleman asked if we were okay. How nice is that? DH told him what happened and thanked him for stopping. The rest of the ride home was actually pretty good. I felt nervous, but was not out of control with it. I thanked the universe, the cycling goddess, the butterflies, for protecting us both. We had 2 more drivers display unusually polite behaviour towards us, so we were reminded that not all drivers are like that one. And I thought a lot about how terrifying an accident must have been for all of you girls who have been through it.

It's a wonder to me that each of you has vowed to get back on the bike, that you have not let one unfortunate incident, and all of the consequences you've had to deal with, and all of the fear that you must have felt and may continue to feel, keep you from doing something you love. You are my inspiration. I will not let my new-found fear keep me from the road!

Thank you!

Hugs and butterflies,
~T~

arielmoon
09-16-2008, 11:57 AM
*hugs LBTC*

So glad you were not physically hurt by this careless person.

tulip
09-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Oh, what a story! I've been hit twice, but both times in the city at very low speeds. My worst accident had nothing to do with a car, but with my fellow cyclist (my fault, I got too close to his rear wheel).

If you do see that truck again, get its license number and report it to the police. At least you will provide a report that might become useful if he ever does get charged.

Butterflies!

LBTC
09-16-2008, 01:13 PM
Thank you, Ariel, and Tulip! I can see slower speed being just a little less unnerving, but frightening all the same!

And, yes, if we get the name of the company and licence number, DH wants to talk to them. He'd like to see what they say before posting their company name at all the bike shops as cycling-unfriendly business. I want to file a report for exactly the reason you mentioned. With any luck, though, no-one ever finds themself in that same position with that truck!

Hugs and butterflies,
~T~

MM_QFC!
09-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Scary, T! glad that you're both unhurt and recovering from that shake-up.
While I'm not yet cleared to ride, I have every intention of getting another bike and riding again...I miss riding BIGtime :(
Mary

redrhodie
09-16-2008, 02:23 PM
{{{{{LBTC}}}}}

I'm glad you're okay! That sounds really scary!

BleeckerSt_Girl
09-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Wonderful thoughtful thread LBTC. And I'm so glad you and your husband were not hit. What an awful experience.

bmccasland
09-17-2008, 04:26 AM
((((((((((LBTC))))))))))))

Glad to hear you were "only shaken". "Only", yeah, right. A near miss is still terrifying.

In with the good air, out with the bad air.

In

Out

In

Out

Biciclista
09-17-2008, 06:14 AM
been there, done that. I'm glad no one was hurt, and frankly, i wonder the same thing as you. Keep riding and i hope you find that guy. He could get in a lot of trouble from his boss!

OakLeaf
09-17-2008, 07:53 AM
(((((LBTC)))))

I hope this @!@#$ is caught before he does it again, or something worse.

jesvetmed
09-17-2008, 11:42 AM
LBTC: I'm so glad you are both ok. That sounds horribly frightening.
MMQFC: Glad to hear you are still out there waiting to ride again -- can't wait to hear that you are BACK!

Stay safe, all!
Jes

invsblwmn
09-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Many butterflies and welcome to the club! "Almost hit" is just as bad as "hit" on the inside. The weird part is that after it (almost hit) happens a few times, you feel the endorphins, the anger swell, the sweat drip from your forehead, and then you ride on and calm down. I am almost surprised (don't want to go as far as disappointed) when I have three days of riding a little 4 mile loop where a careless or inattentive driver doesn't get within 2-3 feet of me. It is a sad state of affairs, eh?
I am so glad that there was no physical contact. Give validation to your experience, though. The insides feel just the same as those of us who got hit. BUTTERFLIES!!!!

IFjane
09-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Many butterflies and welcome to the club! "Almost hit" is just as bad as "hit" on the inside. The weird part is that after it (almost hit) happens a few times, you feel the endorphins, the anger swell, the sweat drip from your forehead, and then you ride on and calm down. I am almost surprised (don't want to go as far as disappointed) when I have three days of riding a little 4 mile loop where a careless or inattentive driver doesn't get within 2-3 feet of me. It is a sad state of affairs, eh?
I am so glad that there was no physical contact. Give validation to your experience, though. The insides feel just the same as those of us who got hit. BUTTERFLIES!!!!

Well said, invsblwmn! I, too, was "almost" hit about a year ago - my report is buried somewhere in the "crazy drivers" thread. I still have a very hard time riding the stretch of road where it happened. Mine was a semi truck and trailer. I am so glad you are ok, LBTC!!!! {{{{{HUG}}}}