PDA

View Full Version : Fizik Arione

Skierchickie
09-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Listen to Liza - she knows! This is a great saddle.

I really hesitated to try the Arione, thinking it was way too narrow and mens-saddle-ish. I tried very hard to make the Vitesse Hp work, which it did for the most part, but it just never was quite right. I bought my new Jamis Xenith Pro, which came equipped with a white (!) Arione, on July 31. I contemplated not even trying it, but it looked so sharp I figured I'd try it out :rolleyes:, since the shop didn't have anything likely-looking that I hadn't already tried. 855 miles later, it is still on there. And it's still white, which is quite a surprise to me. I tried a silver Terry Xero X last summer, and the sides were brown from airborn dust after a couple of rides.

Does it absolutely disappear? No. Sometimes my sit bones hurt, but not too bad, and it seems to support me better that the t-shape of the Vitesse, which some days was perfect, and other days felt like I was straddling it where it starts to flare outward. No chafing (which I have a lot of problems with), probably due to the "wing flex" concept. I don't feel the sidewalls flexing, but clearly they do, or I'd be rubbed raw. Am I completely pain-free in the soft tissue areas? No, but pretty close (I haven't peed fire in ages!). On my 100-miler a week ago, I took extra chamois cream along and re-applied in one area a couple of times, which seemed to do the trick.

It really has no noticeable padding, so it isn't the most forgiving, but there is none of that pesky squishiness that can cause so much trouble. If you like squish, then you won't like this saddle.

Proper placement is very important! A couple of rides after I got the bike, I tweaked the saddle back slightly from where the shop had placed it, just far enough to attach my quick-release saddle bag bracket. Unwittingly, I also must have tilted it up slightly at the same time. I was in agony for 2 or 3 rides! Pains and numbness all over my body! It made no sense, since it had been pretty comfortable before. I tilted it down very slightly from where I had placed it, and it has been great ever since.

By the way, last summer I was measured at a Specialized dealer, and they recommended a 143. I never quite coughed up the $145 to try the Ruby saddle I was lusting after.

I'd put an Arione on my touring bike (DH has one that didn't work for him), but it may be a bit too unforgiving for that. So the Vitesse will probably end up on that one. The more upright position may suit the Vitesse better.

VeloVT
09-15-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm glad you like your Arione Skierchickie :D!

I set mine at a very slight downward tilt also.