PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix area riders?

mommelisa
05-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Hi, all:

I'm looking for someone to ride on the weekends with, and maybe sometime during the week if its early.

I'm not a beginner but I'm not an expert either, just trying to get better!! My longer rides are in the neighborhood of 2 - 2 1/2 hours right now.

Anyone in AZ?
mommelisa

JanT
05-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Hi! I live in NW Glendale. I've been mountain biking for a few years, and just started road riding a year ago. The group rides all seem to be on the east side, so I've only done one. What side of "town" do you live on? I'd enjoy having some company, especially now that's it's getting hot!

mommelisa
05-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Hi, Jan! I live in Scottsdale (Grayhawk) but I'm willing to travel!

I've been riding about a year and I really love it. I'm training for a couple of triathlons coming up in July and the fall, and as I said before my longer rides are between 2 - 3 hours right now. I'd really love to do longer eventually.

I usually like to ride early - I hate traffic!! My husband has kind of messed my training schedule up - he's training to hike the Grand Canyon this year, and his long hikes are on Saturday mornings, so I've had to readjust my training schedule a little. I'm trying to do my my long runs on Friday morning and my longer rides on Sunday, but I'm open for any day. I ride with a group on Thursday mornings from 100th Street and Via Linda which is a nice easy group - we kind of all go our own pace. The group is part of racelab, have you heard of it?

Let me know what you'd be up for!
Melisa

JanT
05-05-2005, 07:49 PM
I'd heard of race lab, but didn't know anything about it. I just went to their website to check it out. Looks like they offer good programs, although expensive. Are you in their triathlon program? I'm concerned that I could not keep up with you. I am not fast, but have good stamina.

Do you have to be a member of Race Lab to ride with your Thursday group? How is the pace? What is the start time? In a couple weeks, school will be out, and maybe I could check it out.

Jan

mommelisa
05-06-2005, 07:13 AM
Jan:

Racelab is great, I started with them years and years ago when all they were doing was coaching runners. They've branched out into more now - triathlon training, swimming, adventure racing, hiking. Its a pretty diverse group. Yes, I'm in the tri program. It is a little expensive, but they make me a schedule that is built around my needs as well as my own zones (hr zones) and I have access to about 10 coached sessions a week if I wanted. I do the swim class on Tuesday mornings, a track session on Wed and the group ride on Thursday but that is about it. I prefer to do my long runs around my own home where I have a running buddy who likes to run with me.

Our Thursday group starts at 5:30 at 100th Street and Via Linda. There is an AJ's there where we meet. We have a few set loops that we do, and everyone pretty much goes at their own pace (I would say between 14 - 17 mph) and then we have regroup points. You are always welcome to join us and see if you like it. There are a few high shool kids getting into biking and then the rest are just average like me who have lives and jobs and like to train. :-)

I am not fast, but I am like you, I can go for ever. I really haven't been riding long, but I enjoy it and I'm getting more comfortable on my bike. I don't think I ever rode one as a kid, so it was a big learning curve for me!

Maybe we can meet sometime and try it out. I am a "traffic-wussy" though, so I like to go early before the cars are out in force. Just let me know.

Melisa

JanT
05-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Okay, Melisa. I feel less intimidated, as it sounds like we travel at about the same pace. Let's keep in touch. Sometimes my mountain biking friends can't get out on a Sunday, and I could do a long ride that fits your schedule. Or if you are wanting to do a Saturday or mid-week ride, you can give me a holler. I'm a teacher, and in two more weeks, I will be FREE! I don't mind driving east, as it is so scenic there. We have our scenic areas around Lake Pleasant, but the roads this way are very scary! I often ride the bike path that runs from near my house all the way out to the east side along the Arizona canal. It has underpasses at the major intersections so you can just ride, ride, ride, withour fear of traffic. It's pretty pleasant, although on weekends you sometimes have to deal with walkers, dogs, and unpredictable kids on bikes.

Do you ever ride at night? Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night during the summer and go for a ride. It's awesome around 3am, still warm, but more tolerable, and you have the roads to yourself. If you ride near the edge of civilization, as I often do, you hear the coyotes yipping. It's finally getting warm enough at night (for me!) to enjoy that kind of ride.

mommelisa
05-07-2005, 04:03 PM
I have never ridden at night - it sounds beautiful! You must have a light on your bike? As a runner, I've done many, many long runs in the dark. I laugh now at some of them and how dangerous a few of them were when I was running alone! For my first marathon, we used to train along the canals by Granada Park. One weekend, I had to do 20 and my girlfriend had to do 15 or 18 - something like that, so I ran the canal for half an hour before she met me in the dark. Seems like it might be safer on a bike. :-)

We're taking off with the kids for Florida the last two weeks of May (they get out on the 19th, I know what you mean about summer!!). Why don't we try to hook up the first week of June? Maybe you could join our Thursday group that week or we could try another day? Summer is easier for me, too, during the week because I don't have to rush to get the kids ready for school and my husband is not a morning person so I usually have till about 9 or 9:30 before he has to leave.

I think I'm going to head out tomorrow morning early - maybe around 5:30. My husband, kids and I always spend Mother's Day at the Princess at the pool with my MIL, so I figured I'd feel better about sipping pool drinks all day if I rode first!

Have a great Mother's Day, btw, I think your profile said you had children!

JanT
05-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Running on the canals at night? Oooo, you ARE brave! I used to run half-marathons, and naturally did runs at night, but always on well-lit streets. Ever since that woman got beheaded on the bike path (Cave Creek Wash Trail) over by 25th Av and the canal, I've been creeped out. That was a good 10-12 or more years ago. Unsolved case. When I ride at night on the streets, I stick to major thoroughfares, for the most part. I have done a couple very early morning pre-dawn mountain bike rides, but only at our "secret" trails where there are rarely any people around. Probably not the smartest thing, but filled the need for adventure. I doubt I'll do it again by myself, since our "private" access has been closed off for development and I'd have to access from a major highway. Too scary for me. I have a NiteRider non-digital Evolution, which I can mount on handlebars, but currently have mounted on my back-up helmet. It's very bright, and I also have an LED red tail light that I clip to my Camelbak.

I don't know if I'll ride tomorrow or not. I feel guilty heading out alone for a few hours when the family has plans for me. Maybe a night ride is in order!

I do have two children, both grown: boy 23, girl 26, both still at home. My husband is retired (lucky!). How old are your children?

Let me know when you get back in June what day you'd like to ride. I'm open to anything. I just like to ride!

Happy mother's day!

mommelisa
05-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Jan, I hope you had a great Mother's Day! I did get out a little on Sunday morning, I rode from Grayhawk down Hayden to Bell and up through McDowell Mtn Ranch. It was about 5:30, and because it was Sunday (and Mom's Day) there was no one on the road, which I really liked! Did you get out? When I got home the entire family was still sleeping!

I don't remember that happening to that woman on the canal, but I wasn't running much then. I didn't start running the canals until my second was born. I had to go back to work when she was about 5 weeks old and running was the fastest thing I could think of. Two children under two, a fulltime job, etc, etc! My kids are 10 (boy) and 8 (girl) and they are so excited that school is almost over - they get out next Thursday. Where do you teach? I got my degree in Elementary Ed from UofA but never ended up teaching, go figure.

Why don't you try to join us on the 2nd for our Thursday ride? I generally try to ride between 60 - 90 minutes on Tuesday and Thursday and then the one longer one on the weekend. My hubby is done with his training at the end of this month, so I can get out on Saturdays after that, too. If you can make any of those days between now and then, just let me know and I can come meet you.

Btw - I am so happy you responded to my post!

JanT
05-09-2005, 06:58 PM
Mother's Day was very restful. In keeping with a family-type day, I convinced my husband to go on a short ride on the bike paths with me. It's an understatement to say he's not quite the biking fanatic I am, but he does like to get out occasionally on weekends for short rides when there is not too much traffic. I'll need the couple weeks after school gets out to get some of my conditioning back. It's been a hectic year. I teach special education in the Peoria School District, and my self-contained class has been bumped around the schools in recent years. The district is growing faster than they can build schools, so special ed classes get moved to make room for the regular classes. I'm packing up my classroom again, getting ready to move to Zuni Hills, 107th Av. and Williams, which is about a mile or so south of Happy Valley Road.

I used to run regularly, even though I stopped racing, until this year. My knees have been bugging me, but I may start up again with just 2.5-4 milers. We recently bought a golden retriever, and I take her for nightly walk/jogs. As she grows, I hope to do all jogging for our 2.5 mile course. We'll see how the knees hold up. I don't want to mess them up for riding!

It's about time I take that cute little puppy out for our evening exercise. I'm glad you posted; I'd been thinking of doing the same, but was waiting for summer. I wonder where all the other Phoenix women riders are?! I know they must be around, but do they get online? I thought you'd get more responses.

mommelisa
05-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Jan:

We decided not to go to the Grand Canyon this weekend. My hubby isn't feeling well and I'd rather he not take the chance of getting down into the canyon and not being able to get back out!!

Any chance you might want to ride Saturday early?

Melisa

JanT
05-12-2005, 06:39 PM
That sounds good to me! I haven't been riding much lately, due to long work days and a bad cold, but I think I'm up to a 2-3 hour outing. What did you have in mind?

mommelisa
05-12-2005, 08:20 PM
Anytime Saturday is good for me - the earlier the better. Do you want to meet somewhere on your side of town? I have a couple of areas to ride around here, but nothing that will give us 2 to 3 hours where we don't have to cover the same ground.

JanT
05-12-2005, 08:57 PM
One place I've ridden that may be close to midway for us both is to park at the Reach 11 trailhead on Cave Creek Road, just north of the 101. You can ride north on Cave Creek Road, ride through Carefree, and continue east past Pima. I've always turned around where the road becomes one lane, which makes for about a 35 mile out/back. It's pretty much slight uphill going out, so the return is easier. We could extend it if we wanted by continuing east on Cave Creek towards Barlett, or just doing some exploring.

I also ride the Az. canal, which is traffic free. We could meet at Granada Park and ride west to 75th Av and back. Granada Park: 6505 N. 20th St., north of Maryland Ave., Phoenix. (take 20th St. south from Glendale Ave., or 18th St. north from Bethany Home Rd. I don't have a true mileage read on that, but I'd guess it's about also 35 miles or so.

Most of the rides I've done are out-backs, because there aren't alot of bike-friendly roads here on the west side. Many of our bike lanes go a mile or two and then stop. I'm still chicken when it comes to riding by myself without a bike lane. With company, your more visible and it's not so scary.

I don't know which is closer to you or which kind of ride you'd prefer. I'd like to start early, as in 5:30 or 6. If that seems to early for you, given a drive, I'd be willing to drive east your way. It's supposed to be our first 100 degree day on Saturday!

I'm going to bed, but I'll check tomorrow morning for your reply, and again around 6 when I get home. I'm psyched!
Jan.

JanT
05-14-2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks for a great ride, Melisa! The hills at the end about did me in, but I enjoyed the scenery in Scottsdale. Let me know when you're ready to ride in June. I think you'd like the Cave Creek Road (Sonoran Bikeway) ride.

mommelisa
05-14-2005, 11:53 AM
The hills at the end about did me in, but I enjoyed the scenery in Scottsdale.

I think you did great! That McDowell Moutain hill is deceiving, I think the backside is much harder than the front side. I hope you had a big diet Pepsi when you got home, you earned it!

Thank YOU for coming all the way to my house! I promise next time, I'm putting the shoes in the car! ;)

I get back from Florida on the 31st, so let me know if you think you want to join the ride on the 2nd with the racelab group, and maybe we can ride the 4th?

Thanks again, Jan, it was really great to meet you!

JanT
05-15-2005, 10:14 AM
Let's plan on the 2nd. If you give me the starting location and times, I'll see you there.

cathy
05-16-2005, 07:15 AM
Hi.
It's getting quite toastie in AZ. You two should check out some rides here in Prescott. www.prescottcycling.org
We have a great group of riders (men and women) and some awesome rides. Weekend rides are typically posted one week prior. If you don't see anything feel free to message me. I'm out nearly every weekend.

Cathy

JanT
05-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Thanks, Cathy! I love Prescott, and the hills and altitude would be make a fun challenge. I'll keep it in mind if we get up that way.
Jan

mommelisa
05-17-2005, 09:32 AM
Let's plan on the 2nd. If you give me the starting location and times, I'll see you there.

Hey, Jan! I am sure you're swamped getting ready for the last week of school. My kids are out Thursday and they are SO excited!

We meet at the A.J.'s Grocery Store on 100th Street and Via Linda. The easiest way to come would be to take Loop 101 all the way to Shea Blvd. Turn left on Shea so you're heading East. Turn right on 96th Street (its a stoplight), then left on Mountain View (its also a stoplight). You will intersect with Via Linda and A.J.'s is on the Southeast corner. We meet in front of the store around 5:25 and we head out about 5:30.

I think you have my cell number, so just give me a ring if you get lost.

See you then! Have a great couple of weeks! We're off to Disneyworld...
Melisa

JanT
05-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the directions. Should be pretty quick off the loop at that hour of the day. I will see you then. Hope you have a safe and fun-filled adventure at Disneyworld!
Jan

mommelisa
06-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Jan! Thanks for joining us for our ride today and for coffee afterwards. It was good to see you! I'm off to Boston next week, but let's try to ride sometime after I get back. GREAT job up that hill! :-)

JanT
06-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Melisa,
Thanks for the ride! It was fun riding with a group for a change. I was happy to find that the pace was tolerable, and was pleasantly surprise that everybody was waiting at the top of the hill. Don't know how long you guys waited, but I thought that was kind. I hope to get in lots of riding, and maybe a little running, before your return to the desert, so maybe I'll be in a little better shape. If you keep training the way you are, you'll have to save me for recovery rides! Good luck with your workouts and your travels.
Jan

mommelisa
06-13-2005, 09:33 AM
Hey, Jan! Just wanted to drop in and say hi. I'm off to Toronto today, then Iowa on Wednesday and I'll be back on the 20th. Maybe next week we can ride some morning if you're around. Anyway, hope all is well and that you are enjoying the summer break.
Melisa

JanT
06-14-2005, 04:03 PM
Hi, Melisa! Hope your travels go well, and also your medical appointments. I'm usually always up for a ride, so just let me know. I've been alternating workouts, one day a short run, next day a ride. Without running much this past year, I'm basically starting over. That means it's a struggle, but I'm always glad I did it when I'm done! Hopefully it will help me maximize the lungs so that I will be able to do better on the hills. Also have been getting in a little mountain biking, which has some good hill workouts. I may not ever be fast again, but I know I can do better than what I'm doing now. My goal is to improve enough that I won't be embarrassed if I join group rides.

mommelisa
07-10-2005, 08:10 AM
Hey, Jan! I wanted to check in and see how things are going with you and if you're enjoying your summer break. We're in Coronado now until the first week of August. The weather here is so great, you can go out at any time of day to ride. I met up with the local bike group for a couple of rides and MAN are these guys fast. They've been riding together for 25 years or so. The first ride we went from Coronado to a place called Otay Mesa (about 40 miles rt). It was a great ride, but I was in a little over my head. On the hairy parts, they always made sure someone rode with me, which was really nice. I made it through, though, and at one point we were doing 27.8 mph on a flat patch!! I didn't know my legs could pedal that fast! Their Saturday rides are a LOT more tame with an A, a B and a C group. I rode with them yesterday and it was a lot of fun. They call it the donut ride because after the ride, everyone stops at the bike club President's house and has donuts and coffee. :p

I hear it is really hot at home. Are you getting out of the valley at all for any relief this summer? How's the running/riding going? I don't think you need to be embarrassed about joining group rides at all. I was a little nervous too, but now I realize there are people of all levels and abilities and if you find the right group, everyone is just there to have fun and ride. Plus, you're a great rider!

Frankie and I are going to Mother/Daughter camp the week after next. I am really excited, I get to try Mountain Biking for the first time! I'll let you know how it goes!

Anyway - let me know how things are going. btw - thanks for asking about the testing. ALL is well!
Talk to you soon!
- Melisa

JanT
07-10-2005, 11:59 AM
Hi, Melisa,
I've been thinking about you there in Coronado, and believe it or not, I'm not really too jealous at this point. Yes, it's been blistering hot, and we've arrived at the time of year where the mornings are hot even at sunrise. But we've been blessed by a late start to the monsoon, and I really don't mind the dry heat in the early morning hours. I've only been running a couple days a week, focusing on getting more riding in. My speed has actually increased a bit, which makes me feel more able to keep up with a group. Think I'll check out a "local" (westside) group next weekend. I've been watching your posts, and it looks like your training is really going well. I would imagine it's pretty hilly where you are, so I'll bet the running and riding there are making your legs mighty strong! (27.8 on the flats! Sheesh! You are getting good!) Do you swim in the ocean, or do you have access to a pool?

The mother-daughter camp sounds like fun--great bonding opportunity. You'll have to let me know how the mountain biking goes. I love the thrills and challenges of mountain biking, but I also like the speed and distances of the road, and being able to ride right from my garage. So, I guess I'm a bi-cyclist. :rolleyes:

I will be in class all day, every day, next week, and then I'll be moving into my new classroom and getting ready for the new year. However, I'm on my own schedule until August 9th, so I'll still be out riding/running in the mornings. Depending on when you get back, maybe we can sneak in a ride before the official school year starts. Otherwise, there is always the weekend! I'll probably continue my plan of a long road ride Saturday, mountain bike Sunday. However, you'll want to ride with me for a recovery ride! No way I'm riding 27 mph, unless it's downhill!

Thanks for checking in. Wish you continued good training in beautiful southern California, and have a great time at camp!
Jan

mommelisa
07-27-2005, 12:13 PM
Hi, Jan! I've been thinking about you! Did you check out that bike group you mentioned? How'd it go?

I went to camp with Frankie and it was absolutely amazing. They'd rented Mountain Bikes for us and the first day we set out on a ride. There were two groups and I kinda fell between the ones that had done it before and the ones that hadn't (I guess because I've been riding my roadbike) so I joined the group that had done it before. About 30 minutes into it, I thought I'd made a HUGE mistake. The altitude in Colorado and the climbs up were kicking my butt, but oh, my gosh, what an awesome feeling to be out there, actually running OVER stuff vs. trying to avoid it! It was a blast! We were out about 3 hours the first day and 3 the second day. The second day it was a lot of single track stuff and although I had to push my bike a few times, I felt so empowered! One of the trails we were riding was called the "ditch trail". On one side was a small ditch and then the side of the mountain, and on the other side, BIG DROP. I was doing ok until out of nowhere came this teeny bridge! I panicked and plowed my bike into the ditch and the side of the mountain. I have a beauty of a bruise around my entire knee, but I am so proud of it! Isn't that funny? I got back up and got back on the bike and refused to be beaten by it, no matter how scared I was. :-)

I'm heading back to AZ on Tuesday of next week. I'll probably ride with the Thursday morning group and then I need to do long on Saturday, most likely 3+ hours. Any weekend is great with me, maybe I'll try to beg a mtn bike out of my husband and ride with you all on Sunday! lol!

Talk to you soon!
Melisa

JanT
07-27-2005, 08:23 PM
Hi, Melisa!
I'd been thinking about you and wondering how the mountain bike adventure went. You sound like a closet mountain biker--about to come out of the closet! Did your daughter enjoy her ride, too? I like road riding, especially in the summer when you create a cooling breeze. But there is nothing quite like the thrill of whizzing through some twisty-turny singletrack. There's a trail out at Pima and Dynamite that to me is a better ride than anything Disneyland has to offer. I used to have an extra mountain bike to use as a loaner, but I sold it because I felt guilty having 4 bikes. (Not to mention hogging all the space in the garage!) But if you can scrounge up a trail-worthy mountain bike, we could show you some great rides.

I'm back at work daily, but on my own schedule at this time. My first full official day back is the 9th. Until then, I can ride any morning. I'd be open to a 3 hour ride on that Saturday if you don't mind my slower pace. Are you talking about the first Saturday in August? Let me know when you're back and what you're up for.