PDA

View Full Version : May 21 - where do we ride?

SadieKate
05-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Kim and I are both training for centuries on June 4th, need to get in a longish ride (50+ miles) on May 21 that does not include the Lodi Sunrise Century. We’re wondering if anyone wants to join us and what the ride preferences are. These are the options I suggested and would include little pieces of the Davis Double which is occurring the same day.

1) A twist on the Tour of Napa Valley – start in St. Helena, go south down the Silverado Trail, up Sage Canyon (around Lake Hennessey) to Chiles & Pope Valley Rd. Climb up to the junction of Pope Valley Rd (where we took the pic of all the girls) and then up to the charming market in Pope Valley, on to Ink Grade and down White Cottage and Crystal Springs to the Silverado Trail. Here is the twist: we’d go up to Calistoga for a food break at the truly charming gourmet market by the glider port. Then, we’d just cruise the Silverado Trail back to St. Helena. This would be just a tad less than 60 miles. We could probably find some lousy chow and cheap booze to consume after.

2) A flexible version of the Dam Corners and Valleys Road Loop which was:

Start: Lake Solano Park (west of Winters)
Length: about 53 miles
Climbing: The book says about 2,300 feet but based on our experience yesterday it's probably more in the 3-4K range.
Roujte: We’ll climb up the canyon alongside Putah Creek, over the Monticello Dam and Cardiac Hill. We’ll head to Moskowite Corner, to Wooden Valley, to Gordon Valley, Mankas Corner and Fairfield. We’ll turn north and have a nice smooth ride all the way north back to Lake Solano Park.
If we are back by 3 pm, eat at the Putah Creek Café or plan a potluck picnic at the Park.

Options to make it longer or add climbing:
-- Start in Winters – adds about 8 flat miles
-- On the way north from Vacaville, we can go straight north on a beautiful mostly flat road, go over Cantelow Road from either direction (the west side is shorter but much steeper than the east), or go east a little way and go over Gibson Canyon (you have to do this to go up the east side of Cantelow. Either way will also add several miles and about 700 feet of climb. I’d estimate the longest of these options extend the ride to a total of 65-68 miles. The good thing is that the choice could be made on the ride and the group could split for the return without getting lost so we’d have ride options of 53-68 miles.

Let us know if you want to join us, what your ride preference is or if you have an even better idea.

yellow
05-03-2005, 04:42 PM
I'm sure I'll just love your version of lousy chow and cheap booze.

Bike Goddess
05-03-2005, 08:39 PM
If we do the Napa version (assuming I am coming-I plan to do the Lodi Century on the 21st), there is a fabulous Mexican Restaurant near Napa called the Red Hen. Not expensive and a good place to meet afterwards as lots of space and tables in and out. I love that area and this time of the year it isn't quite so hot as later in the summer. :)

SadieKate
05-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Do you want to make the grand decision? Are we moving the ride to Sunday, the 22nd?

yellow
05-07-2005, 05:26 PM
Sunday is fine with me.

aka_kim
05-08-2005, 06:53 AM
Sunday is fine. But now BG is shaming me... I was trying to avoid riding Lodi by doing this ride.

Veronica
05-08-2005, 06:57 AM
I thought you didn't really enjoy the Lodi ride.

V.

aka_kim
05-08-2005, 07:03 AM
I don't like Lodi -- I hate the wind and the long stretches on the highways (or whatever those busy roads are called).

I really like the Napa century, which is why I want to do the Twist.

Unfortunately I'm still not in shape to do a century on Saturday and 60 miles on Sunday. So I feel shamed. :o

Veronica
05-08-2005, 07:09 AM
Ahhh... I get it now. "Compare not thyself to others." "Cause otherwise I'd never ride with YOU up Diablo. Oh wait, that's right I don't. :D

V.

aka_kim
05-08-2005, 07:17 AM
Oh very funny. We should do a junction ride some weekday, esp. since it's going to rain every weekend this year. I'll even ride *with* you.

SadieKate
05-08-2005, 08:08 AM
Nope, no pressure here to ride Lodi. If it isn't fun, I don't do it. Got too many fun things to do in addition to riding and "must do" is not in my vocabulary unless it involves chores.

Bike Goddess
05-08-2005, 03:02 PM
Now you all, remember I'm getting ready to be on my derriere for 7 days of back to back riding, wind or no wind, bad roads, good roads, and who knows what else! So, when I can, I try to get back to back days of long rides in my schedule. I figure that I'll probably be in shape for the big ride by June 5th (Day1), so now I'm concerned about such issues as saddle sores, chafing and all that goes with it! :( :( Any suggestions on that subject? :o

Sunday May 22? Where? When? :) :)

SadieKate
05-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Now you all, remember I'm getting ready to be on my derriere for 7 days of back to back riding, wind or no wind, bad roads, good roads, and who knows what else! So, when I can, I try to get back to back days of long rides in my schedule. I figure that I'll probably be in shape for the big ride by June 5th (Day1), so now I'm concerned about such issues as saddle sores, chafing and all that goes with it! :( :( Any suggestions on that subject? Nancy, I've done back to back long days of mtnbiking but not road. Clean shorts every day and Chamois Butt'r the second you get a hot spot worked for me. Make sure you change gears and stand up periodically if you find yourself on long flat stretches (we're experts at that here in the Flatlands) to change the pressure points. Also, no lingering in damp shorts after all rides (even your training rides).

May 22? Where? When? :) :)I'm thinking the Safeway around the corner from St. Helena Cyclery or at the Silverado Brewing Co. I thought I'd call the bike shop for their suggestion. I'd like to park close to wherever we eat of the many choices in St. Helena. Perhaps take a few seconds to pick up some lemon olive oil at Olivier. We have lots of time to figure this out so I'll post closer to the date.

Bike Goddess
05-08-2005, 07:31 PM
SK-Are you fixed on St Helena as a starting place?

snapdragen
05-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Now you all, remember I'm getting ready to be on my derriere for 7 days of back to back riding,

Goddess - after the 3rd day, you won't even know you have a butt..... :D

I recommend 7 pairs of shorts if you can afford it, much easier than trying to do laundry. There were a number of people riding with their wet shorts on their heads (!seriously!) to get them dry for the following day.

Shower and change as soon as you get to camp - wear something loose - sweats work well.

There will probably be huge tubs of butt butter at the rest stops - it pretty much saved my tentmates heinie. He had a nasty saddle sore, the the butter had some kind of stuff in it to help stop the pain.

Bike Goddess
05-08-2005, 07:41 PM
Re advice for multi day rides- I actually do all of the abovementioned suggestions (Thanks I love suggestions)and another which I'll pass on to everyone here- when on the flats (best place to try this) get into the drops and push your bellybutton towards your back. This will stretch out your back- a nice relief on long rides. I also have learned to move as far back on my seat as I can to get pressure off the front. That seems to help too. I do that a lot on hills as it seems to make hill climbing easier and a bit faster, too!

Anybody use any other cream besides chamois butter which is what I use?

One more thing- I just discovered Sheila Moon bike shorts- Made in San Francisco, thankyouverymuch! They have a different kind of waist that isn't as binding as normal shorts and the chamois is fab. I wore them on a century last weekend and loved them. Cost $65.00 (less than Pearl Izumis!)

Petunia
05-09-2005, 09:10 AM
Both rides sound great, but unfortunately I'll be out of town the entire weekend. :(

aka_kim
05-09-2005, 09:29 AM
But who will call out "LOW" if you're not around Petunia?

slinkedog
05-09-2005, 10:37 AM
Bike Goddess - I have used Chamois Butt'r and Assos Chamois Cream. Definitely recommend the Assos for long rides. It is a little mentholated, so it stings a bit, but after I'm on my saddle for a few minutes, I don't even notice it. I like it because it's richer than the Chamois Butt'r (which is good and I still use it on shorter rides) and doesn't seem to "soak into" my chamois, or whatever happens to it. It's probably a moisture thing. The CB is very easy to wash off, the Assos a little harder, so the CB is probably more water-soluable than the Assos. Anyway Assos is my chamois cream of choice, but it ain't cheap. :)

Bike Goddess
05-09-2005, 10:44 AM
Thanks SD- That helps!! Where do you get the Assos in your area???

slinkedog
05-09-2005, 11:07 AM
REI doesn't have it, but lots of smaller bike shops carry it. I get it at ST Bikes, locally, but that's just because they're close to my house. I've seen it for sale online... I think Colorado Cyclist and World Cycling Productions' sites carry it. I'll bet if you call around to some shops in your area, you'll find someone carries it.

yellow
05-09-2005, 11:31 AM
We should do a junction ride some weekday, esp. since it's going to rain every weekend this year. I'll even ride *with* you.

Hey hey! Can I invite myself along on this one? This is the Diablo junction, yes?

I have been known to skip out of work for more important things.

If it matters, I'm off this Friday! Anyone else feeling well enough to play hookey... er... "work" Friday?

y

aka_kim
05-09-2005, 11:54 AM
Yellow, if you're going to drive all the way out here, you'll want to do the summit. I'm always willing, and usually able, to play hooky, and this Friday would be OK with me. Instead of rain we'll have to deal with heat, though, since it's supposed to be about 80 that day.

Anyone else feeling some sort of malady coming on for which the only cure is a Diablo ride?

cindysue
05-09-2005, 01:15 PM
Anyone else feeling some sort of malady coming on for which the only cure is a Diablo ride?

I could be talked into a friday ride. I'm in the middle of final exams, but if we start early or late enough, I'm in. I can't do a middle of the day because I need to be on campus (UC Berkeley)........

cindysue
05-09-2005, 01:21 PM
P.S. I need to do a training ride with a loaded trailer, so I will inch my way to the junction while you all go all the way to the summit....... It will be my first ride with the trailer - Ill try to find some time to get a flat ride in before that - but this week is tough!

SadieKate
05-09-2005, 01:44 PM
I might be able to do this since I'll be missing out on Slug Gulch and may not be able to ride Sunday due to rain. I'm going through withdrawals! The DTs are about to hit.

I'll know more tonight. :D

SadieKate
05-09-2005, 02:53 PM
P.S. I need to do a training ride with a loaded trailerJust take Fluffy!

Veronica
05-09-2005, 03:04 PM
Just take Fluffy!

Hey! What's that supposed to mean. :p

What time are you all thinking? I can get out there by 4.

V.

yellow
05-09-2005, 05:47 PM
I have no idea how long this ride takes, but I'm up for a late afternoon ride as long as I don't get home at 11 pm or something like that.

That would be great if V could come. I know you she can't jsut take days off whenever. And it sounds like it may work for Cindy too (later, that is).

BTW, the forecast I saw (NWS-NOAA) says partly cloudy and 78 for a high there around Diablo. I imagine it would be cooler up on the mountain??

cindysue
05-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Just take Fluffy!

fluffy? you gotta explain this one, friend!

aka_kim
05-09-2005, 08:09 PM
4pm is good for me too. If it truly is 78 on Friday it should be cooling down by 4 and just about perfect.

SadieKate
05-09-2005, 08:46 PM
Where are we starting and is there food planned for after?

CindySue - you'll have to ask V about Fluffy. A lady never admits her weight in public (and I'm not talking about V). :p

cindysue
05-09-2005, 09:00 PM
CindySue - you'll have to ask V about Fluffy.

allright - a search has turned up the answer.......

I've yet to name my bike, but now I have three of them (I just won a cute, but slow, comfort bike from "BikeTown").

Bike Goddess
05-10-2005, 04:29 PM
What? Bike town? Has Bike Town come to Walnut Creek? Tell us more about this winning!!! :p :p :p

cindysue
05-12-2005, 06:17 AM
What? Bike town? Has Bike Town come to Walnut Creek? Tell us more about this winning!!! :p :p :p

Biketown came to San Francisco last week (Friday the 13th). I wrote a "top 10" list of reasons to ride in the bay area and won a bike (along with 49 other bay area people). I don't think i saved the list - I just wrote it on the fly and emailed it off to the contest. But some of the reasons were:

1.77 gallon
guilt free ghiradelli
the weather
???

It's a very comfy bike: Giant Cypress; 7 speed.

Bike Goddess
05-12-2005, 07:49 AM
Cindy Sue- Pictures please!
Ddin't know Bike Town was coming to SF- gee, would have loved to have seen them! (I spend my working hours in SF as you probably know!).

Good for you! It's fun to win! :D :D

Will we ever see this bike or is the bike around town bike?

slinkedog
05-12-2005, 07:56 AM
Very cool, Cindy! Wow... a free bike! Do you think you'll ride it much? What size is it?

cindysue
05-12-2005, 06:32 PM
Cindy Sue- Pictures please!
Will we ever see this bike or is the bike around town bike?

I didn't take any pictures of the biketown people, but I was interviewed by KTVU, but I don't have a TV, so don't know if it aired. Pretty low-profile though - it may not have made the cut.......

I was also asked if I was willing to do a piece for the Contra Costa Times - I'll keep ya posted, but I'm not holding my breath.

it's definitely a bike around town bike - with only 7 speeds (not even a double). I'l try to get some pics with it if I remember to take my camera to Berkeley. Right now the bike is in my office........

Very cool, Cindy! Wow... a free bike! Do you think you'll ride it much? What size is it?

It's a 19. I'm supposed to journal my rides on the bike for three months. This is going to be tough as I need to train for my ride to SB - and I need my road bike for that.........

First time I ever won anything :)

Bike Goddess
05-13-2005, 11:21 AM
Oooooh! Press for Team Estrogen! I do hope you get interviewed by CCTimes! That would be very neat. I contacted them re the Cinderella ride and they did manage to do something for it so you never know. Let us know if you get an interview.

Re your journal- I think if you talk about your other rides that will be cool as well. Have your read people's stories in the magazine. Some of them are pretty inspiring. I think the trip to Sta Barbara with your trailer would be of interest to everyone! :D

Maybe we should add a new topic for press releases. :p :p TEAM ESTROGEN members in the "news"!

Bike Goddess
05-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Let's get back on the subject, now! :p

By poll it looks like Sunday the 22nd, yes? Where, when? :confused: :confused: