View Full Version : Spin Instructor Costs

09-08-2008, 11:32 PM
For those of you that are spinning instructors, what things related to your job can you tax write off, or does your particular gym pay for you?

Examples of expenses: CPR training, spin cert, continuing ed classes for cert, music for playlist/profiles, work out specific clothes etc.

I'm certified through Madd Dog Athletics, which was a chunk $ out of my own pocket, but have never officially crossed over to teach yet for various reasons. I'm very close now.

I will ask this question at my gym where I'm considering being employed to teach, but was just curious what others experiences were.

Thanks! :)


09-09-2008, 04:01 AM
You can only write off things that you can't use for personal use.

Continuing education and recertification, yes. Workout-specific music bought from a workout music company, yes. Clothes, unless it's a specific uniform for that gym, no. "Regular" music that you edit and compile yourself, no.

My gym reimburses instructors for 50% of continuing education up to $200 a year, and a flat rate of $25 per quarter for music. They host a CPR re-certification periodically at no cost to us (I have to do that at 7 a.m. tomorrow, eccch.) We are not reimbursed for certification/recertification costs.

09-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Thx for answering Oakleaf. I appreciate your help:).