PDA

View Full Version : I hope that was bird poop...

KSH
05-01-2005, 08:03 PM
So, I was riding along today, just testing out my new peddals... and all of a sudden I feel something *wet* hit me.

It hit my glove and my shorts... it was brown... and looked like the consistency of when a guy spits chew in a cup.

Oddly... a car passed by me... right when I got him.

I wasn't sure if it can from the car.... I really do hope it was bird poop though.

After that, I headed home... the test ride was done for the day.

What have you been hit with while riding? Do tell!

spazzdog
05-02-2005, 04:56 AM
Back in 2000 when i was training for the AidsRide, I was riding with my partner (she was in front). There was a dead skunk ahead of her but on the road not the side.

She passed it.

As I was coming up on it a car (I think) hit it again and I got squirted with road kill guts.

It was yucky... but we laughed a lot after all the "EWWW! GROSS" tumbled out our mouths.

spazz

Technotart
05-02-2005, 07:44 AM
EWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<shudder>

Deanna
05-02-2005, 12:28 PM
I've twice had soda cups thrown at me, both times they missed. Apparently they aimed as if I were a stationary object instead of a moving bicyclist as they landed just behind my rear tire. Goes to show you the intelligence of the type of people who throw things at cyclists.

The only thing I've had hit me that was memorable was a swarm of tiny hard bugs--it sounded and felt like somebody threw a handful of uncooked rice at my head. We recently had a butterfly migration in the area, it was pretty cool riding with them until I had to head back and ride into them--getting hit in the face with a big bug like that is kind-of creepy.

KSH
05-02-2005, 04:56 PM
You ladies... just make me feel lucky for only getting hit with bird poop... or whatever it was.

singletrackmind
05-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Hmmm, let see...
pennies, ice cubes, cups, soda bottles, a brick, rocks, squirrell poop, bird poop, snot rockets, the innards of one of the forks on my shock when it blew up mid-air (thankfully not on the landing), another cyclist getting used to her clipless pedals, rabbit innards splattered by a car, a truck who's operator said he didn't see me though I was directly in front of him, wearing bright yellow, when he hit the gas (I had right of way, he was stopped at a stop sign). And hands from passengers in passing cars (twice). :eek:
That's all that comes to mind at the moment.

PS. Squirrell poop is a yellowy brown and thicker than bird poop, could this be it?

KSH
05-02-2005, 06:22 PM
Hmmm, let see...
pennies, ice cubes, cups, soda bottles, a brick, rocks, squirrell poop, bird poop, snot rockets, the innards of one of the forks on my shock when it blew up mid-air (thankfully not on the landing), another cyclist getting used to her clipless pedals, rabbit innards splattered by a car, a truck who's operator said he didn't see me though I was directly in front of him, wearing bright yellow, when he hit the gas (I had right of way, he was stopped at a stop sign). And hands from passengers in passing cars (twice). :eek:
That's all that comes to mind at the moment.

PS. Squirrell poop is a yellowy brown and thicker than bird poop, could this be it?

Hhhhhuuummm... I live in Texas. We are known for carrying concealed weapons... I don't have a hand gun liscense... but I might want to rethink that.

I wonder if I can put a shot gun rack on the back of the bike?

:rolleyes: :) :D :p

spazzdog
05-02-2005, 06:31 PM
I'm working on it :D

spazz-o-texasgrrl

MomOnBike
05-02-2005, 08:35 PM
You just might be a redneck if you've ever even considered putting a gun rack on your bike.

I think I'm a redneck. :rolleyes:

Melody
05-02-2005, 09:20 PM
My question is, can I have one of these? :D

Mel

http://i3.ebayimg.com/03/c/00/c1/0b/79_8.JPG

singletrackmind
05-03-2005, 05:01 AM
Just rig that rack so one gun is car tire level and one is radiator level, then have a remote trigger so the guns don't have to be taken off the rack-just make sure it's pothole proof! :D

Not that I've given this any thought, or anything. I still haven't figured out how to keep from getting killed by said motorist when his blown tire causes him to lose control....hmmmm......

I was thinking maybe a stick poking out perpendicular to my bike with a greasepaint crayon that marks up the car when it gets too close to me. I don't wanna hurt anyone, just make it darned inconvienent to not be careful with my body!

Actually, a guy riding along the street a few years ago was killed when a vehicle going the opposite direction blew a tire, swerved around, crossed 4 lanes and struck him. :(

MomOnBike
05-03-2005, 06:13 AM
Hm, that rack isn't very aero, is it? I think I can do better. 'Course, I have more room to work with on a recumbent.

Seriously, I've been advised to carry a gun on my trip. Um, no. I can't see as how any gun could improve any situation I'm likely to encounter.

I've been thinking of adding a flag that kind of sticks out sideways instead of straight up to give me more visual width. That might give me more room. I don't think I'll get 'er done though - too much else to do.

singletrackmind
05-03-2005, 06:33 AM
I found having the BOB trailer on my bike made most motorists give me a little wider berth, especially when the silly flag was on it even though the flag was upright. :)
Weirdly, on the few occasions I've been on the road with the kid trailer that is not the case. :confused: That's why I am rarely on any but neighborhood streets with the kiddo, and even then I'm wary.

CorsairMac
05-03-2005, 11:08 AM
Just rig that rack so one gun is car tire level and one is radiator level, then have a remote trigger so the guns don't have to be taken off the rack-just make sure it's pothole proof! :D

Not that I've given this any thought, or anything. I still haven't figured out how to keep from getting killed by said motorist when his blown tire causes him to lose control....hmmmm......

well they do make "rapid-fire" shifters........we could just modify them to fit what is IS they shift!! *insert evil cackle here*

Corsair "I'm a pacifist - really I am!" Mac

KSH
05-03-2005, 05:11 PM
WOW! Great ideas on how to mount a gun rack to the bike!

I REALLY LIKE the IDEAS where something is sticking out the SIDE of you! Now, that would keep the cars away!

JanT
05-03-2005, 06:18 PM
A car load of high schoolers rocketed an orange at me and my dog on a walk the other day-missed, fortunately. As we caught up with another couple, they flagged down a passing police car. They had actually been hit with the oranges, and the guy was so mad he said he'd press charges if they actually caught the kids. However, I've heard nothing from these neighbors, and I think the kids just got on the freeway a half mile down and disappeared. It was a creepy feeling. I thought, what if they had guns?

spazzdog
05-04-2005, 06:16 AM
When this stuff happens, get the plate # if you can. That's all the police need to investigate, plus it puts that info on the police report.

It's assault... it's chargeable.

spazz