PDA

View Full Version : An indoor trainer? A good one for a reasonable price?

KSH
05-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on an indoor trainer that I could look at purchasing, for a reasonable price?

Not sure if I will do it soon, but something I might think about in the future.

Melody
05-01-2005, 09:13 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on an indoor trainer that I could look at purchasing, for a reasonable price?

Not sure if I will do it soon, but something I might think about in the future.

What do you mean by reasonable? :) This (http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Trainer/product_87774.shtml) is the trainer that I got last week, however, at $299, it's not inexpensive, so it probably falls outside of what you may consider reasonable. Esp since you can get fluid trainers for about $100 less.

Mel

Trek420
05-02-2005, 05:24 AM
I used to have a wind trainer and since upgraded to a cycleops fluid.

Below is just one of the threads with a good overview of the types available. there are some good deals on used equpment on Craigs, Play it Again Sports, etc

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=798&highlight=indoor+trainer

sulis
05-02-2005, 07:33 AM
I purchased the Nasbhar t-55 fluid trainer and have been very pleased with it.
It was very easy to put together and super simple to put the bike on.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=123&subcategory=1087&brand=&sku=12923&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

SandyLS
05-02-2005, 01:53 PM
I like my Kurt Kinetic trainer just fine. It seems to be pretty study. I did quite a bit of research before I bought one and this one got good reviews and no talk of it ever leaking fluid like some of them. Truth is though, it sure isn't as nice as riding outside. www.kurtkinetic.com
Sandy

mommelisa
05-07-2005, 03:51 PM
I bought a new cycleops fluid trainer from ebay. It came with a mat, a riser and a video for about $75 less than I would have gotten just the trainer. You can find new or used ones there for fairly reasonable prices.

Since you're not in a hurry, it might be the way to go since you can watch as items come up.

BlareApsan
05-07-2005, 11:55 PM
Melody I have that trainer and I love it. :)
I haeven't tried any other. My friend told me it's super quiet copared to mags and wind tainers. Good thing to be quiet in my living room. had it for 2 yrs. Pretty solid.

Melody
05-10-2005, 02:11 PM
Blare, I have to say I love the 1up :)

My husband recently got a trainer (so he has another option other than his rollers). He picked up the TACX Cycleforce T1460 Swing. It's decently built and uses magnetic resistance. Only problem is the instructures are *horrible*. Since he was at work, I put the trainer together for him so he could spin when he got home. Took me nearly 2 hours to put it together and had to restart a couple of instructions over because of how they were written.

Other problems included the clamping mechanism that held the bike on the trainer is not very good. It is very difficult to get clamped on right. Once it was on it held, but you probably have to use their skewer since the QD skewer we had on hubby's bike wouldn't work right.

Another issue is the mechanism that increased the tension on the wheel to the spinner thingamabob. It's made of plastic, hard to get to and you had to twist it to full strength just to keep it from skipping. Plus, the mechanism that pushed the thingamabob (can you see I have no idea what it's called? :D) is hard to put on and off. I ended up scraping my hands while pulling up on it to remove pressure from the tire by the thingamabob.

Other than that though, hubby likes it. :) Then again, he didn't have to deal with all of that, I did. :p

Mel