PDA

View Full Version : Follow the Women

AutumnBreez
04-30-2005, 02:55 PM
http://www.followthewomen.com/index.html

Just learned of this. I wish I had found it sooner.
Not sure how to go about raising money for it.
Researching further.

Bike Goddess
04-30-2005, 03:38 PM
Cool site, heart stopping goals :) I'll check this out also. Looks like more to come soon! Thanks for posting this! :D

Trek420
04-30-2005, 04:27 PM
cool site. It looks like one signs up for the tour, pays them and that goes to the cause. I don't see any link to pledge although I imagine you could raise pledges.

doc
04-30-2005, 05:20 PM
I may be cynical, but I am very uncomfortable with what I saw on that site. Among other things, if you so much as have an Israeli stamp in your passport you are not allowed into Syria. Period. (That is stated in the FAQ section) Plus, this ride is not about creating peace in the middle east, it's about pushing the arab agenda. If it were about peace, then all countries, Israel included, would be invited. Not even moderate Egypt is on the list. Why?
Well, that's my 2 cents.

nuthatch
05-01-2005, 04:32 AM
If it were about peace, then all countries, Israel included, would be invited. Not even moderate Egypt is on the list. Why?
Well, that's my 2 cents.

Don't want to get into a big political discussion, but those were my thoughts, too. I want to see women take the bull by the horns and be inclusive of all women in Middle East. Show the world that peace/prosperity/strength depends on cooperation and compromise between all countries. But I'm thinking this is such a complicated issue, we don't know all the ramifications of having an all-country inclusive ride....

spazzdog
05-01-2005, 07:29 AM
It seems Isreal is included. This is a quick "copy/paste" I pulled from their site under the link 2005 ride:

"There will be evening travel by bus to Quinatra, to the "Shouting Hill" on the Golan Heights and we will pass messages of Peace to the Israeli cycling group and other residents, and we will see them in Jerusalem or Ramallah at the end. The Israeli group will then continue their bike ride and we ours."

spazz

Trek420
05-01-2005, 08:20 AM
spazz,

that was my take also. I'm reading that the ride is not exclusive of any nationality, race, religion, what I took home from the description is that all are welcome to participate. It's just a fact of life, politics that if you have an Israeli stamp on your passport certain countries won't let you in. So the ride organizers are just giving you a heads up, if you visit Israel first, arrive there, detour there you're going to have a problem at the border. Good on them to let riders know.

I suppose one could ask Israeli customs to NOT stamp you or as the organisers suggest get an extra passport. EXTRA PASSPORT? Never thought you could do that, or, visit Israel AFTER the ride which sounds best. And that is why they say "and we will see them in Jerusalem or Ramallah at the end. The Israeli group will then continue their bike ride and we ours."

It sounds like there is a parallel Israeli ride that they work with, this is great news. Someone's got to promote the cause of peace in the Middle East, get the groups talking to each other, even shouting over the hills.

Wouldn'tcha know it's women, and cyclists.

After checking with friends and family who have been there the consensus is it sounds sandy, dusty and hotter than heck depending on when it is.

snapdragen
05-01-2005, 10:48 AM
This sounds kind of interesting, but, too hot for this girl! :p I'd drop after the first 5 miles in 90 degree heat.

I like the part in the FAQ's about spending 1 night in a bedouin (sp?) tent!

It sounds to me like Israeli stamp thing is the Syrian govenment, not the ride organisers.

AutumnBreez
05-01-2005, 02:39 PM
They will not recognize the other country (palestine) because of religious/political reasons, for many years now. Womens ride or not.
Also, yes, two passports is best, if you tear out a page it will become invalid.
You can get two passports. Specify why you need 2 (or another) and it will be noted and considered for application notation.
My husband is going to be away for work and I can't go.
I think it would be neat.

AutumnBreez
05-02-2005, 10:36 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berkshire/3631457.stm