PDA

View Full Version : Family loses house, hits the road for bike trip across America

BikeDutchess
09-03-2008, 04:25 PM
This sounds like quite a story: Fox Family Cross Country Tour (http://tinyurl.com/5dsq3j)

Here is their blog, I haven't had time to read it yet but it looks like they've made it all the way to Indiana already: http://ninefoxfamily.blogspot.com/

shootingstar
09-04-2008, 08:43 PM
7 children in family...must be a real cooperative group to ride for such a distance.

For sure, it will be an experience that will bond those family members...more..over time.

HOw many families actually do a physical sort of exercise thing together these days? Closest would be working on the farm or garden. Or maybe some families have a regular volleyball game going...if the family is big enough.

redrhodie
09-05-2008, 04:56 AM
I find this really disturbing. It's a sad commentary on the state of our economy. I haven't read what is waiting for them in Maine, but I hope there's a job and home in their future. I wish them the best of luck.

Trek420
09-05-2008, 06:29 AM
I wish them the best and safe and happy trails. I'll be watching this blog.

I have a 30 year fixed, not dealing with the ARM disaster but it impacts me still because I want to, need to sell when this remodel is done. The state of the economy has me very sad sometimes. To see how this hurts families is sad.

Owning a home is the "great American Dream" but it's also the biggest investment most will ever do and for many a large part of ones retirement. This spot we're in will have ramifications for decades I think.

My hat's off to the parents for using this time to bond as a family, provide an experience they will never forget. With thinking like that I know they will land on their feet.

Crankin
09-05-2008, 08:49 AM
While I think this is a great experience, I think it's a bit irresponsible. I can't believe that those words just came out of my usually progressive mouth, but those parents are responsible for the lives of 7 children. It sounds like they have no plans as to how they are going to support them when the trip is done. I have no problem with the kids being out of school, because what they are doing is educational in itself, but it doesn't sound like they have any idea except to rely on the generosity of others. I agree that it's terrible that this happened to the family, but don't people read their mortgages?
Don't flame me, please. I guess I have just seen too many kids who get messed up because their parents don't think about the consequences of their actions on the kids. It's not that the trip is bad or harmful, it just makes me uncomfortable that these kids have no place to live and maybe no food or clothes in the future...

BikeDutchess
09-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Now that I've had a chance to read their blog, there is nothing in there about them losing their house or job. That is only mentioned in the newspaper article. It would be nice if they expressed some more reflective thoughts in their blog about why they're doing this, whether they are starting to plan for life after the tour, etc., rather than just the ride itself and the (admittedly nice and sometimes interesting) people they've met along the way.

Geonz
09-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Somethign tells me the news article didn't capture the family and whether or not this was a "functional" decision or not. Of course, the article said he wasn't going to "retire to the classroom as a teacher" in the fall... but th ey could have had a trip already planned and this just kinda shifted it.
I also hope there's something for them in Maine... and, indeed, that the kiddos are feeling, somehow, secure amidst all this.

Mr. Bloom
09-07-2008, 05:45 AM
I find this really disturbing. It's a sad commentary on the state of our economy. I haven't read what is waiting for them in Maine, but I hope there's a job and home in their future. I wish them the best of luck.

I understand your perspective, but I'm not disturbed at all. To me, this family doesn't define themselves by their house and views material things as less important than an epic, bonding experience together.

I think that the kids will learn contentment regardless of circumstances and will find comfort in the security of family togetherness.

redrhodie
09-07-2008, 08:25 AM
I understand your perspective, but I'm not disturbed at all. To me, this family doesn't define themselves by their house and views material things as less important than an epic, bonding experience together.

I think that the kids will learn contentment regardless of circumstances and will find comfort in the security of family togetherness.

It's not a matter of whether or not they define themselves by their home, but whether they will have shelter for their children that worries me. A lot of people are losing their homes, and many of them will not do so well.

A few months ago, I was the only passenger on a bus, and the bus driver and I got to talking. He told me he had been a truck driver for over 30 years. As the price of diesel kept rising, he took out home equity loans to keep his business afloat, thinking the spike in fuel was temporary, and he just had to ride it out. He got into the horrible situation of owing more monthly than he could possibly make as an independent trucker. His wife had Alzheimer's disease, making her unable to work. Her medical bills made a bad situation even worse. He tried to sell his truck, but no one wanted it. He contacted a realtor about selling his house, and it was valued at less than he owed. He got the job as bus driver to try to earn enough to keep his house, which he would only be able to do if he worked lots of overtime. He was about 60 years old, looking very worn out, but not as bad as I would have looked had I been in his shoes.

The mortgage crisis is hitting a lot of honest, hard working people. It's not just speculators. Not everyone has family to help. Not everyone will be able to work all the hours needed to pay the bills. What happens then?

Brandy
09-07-2008, 08:36 AM
While I think this is a great experience, I think it's a bit irresponsible. I can't believe that those words just came out of my usually progressive mouth, but those parents are responsible for the lives of 7 children. It sounds like they have no plans as to how they are going to support them when the trip is done. I have no problem with the kids being out of school, because what they are doing is educational in itself, but it doesn't sound like they have any idea except to rely on the generosity of others. I agree that it's terrible that this happened to the family, but don't people read their mortgages?
Don't flame me, please. I guess I have just seen too many kids who get messed up because their parents don't think about the consequences of their actions on the kids. It's not that the trip is bad or harmful, it just makes me uncomfortable that these kids have no place to live and maybe no food or clothes in the future...

I don't think it's irresponsible. They probably saw this as a once in a lifetime opportunity to do this kind of thing while he is in between jobs. While he may not have a plan in place yet, I doubt when the trip is over, that he is not going to look for work of some sort. If he was a teacher, I'm sure it's in his plan to look for employment at a school. Maybe they will find a place on their journey that they will fall in love with and decide to move to. Who knows. I just can't help to think what an amazing experience those kids will have memories of for the rest of their lives. :)

Edited to add...we hosted a father and son who were riding from Canada to Texas. He decided to take this trip after he lost his job as well. Once in a lifetime opportunity!

Mr. Bloom
09-07-2008, 05:57 PM
It's not a matter of whether or not they define themselves by their home, but whether they will have shelter for their children that worries me.

I understand your concern. I've spent more time reading the blog which is clearly dad's perspective, but frankly I'm amazed at the sincere smiles on the kids' faces in the pics...this family is likely not perfect (none are) and I guess there are 'moments', but these kids look secure and content to me.

I'm kinda jealous...:)

Financial hardship isn't easy for anyone, but these guys have decided to not let their circumstances determine their satisfaction...

Crankin
09-08-2008, 03:36 AM
I know some people see these things as an opportunity; I never could! I could never pack up my family and take them on a trip without knowing what the future was. My kids, who were extremely well rounded and open to new things would have screamed bloody murder if we had taken them out of their environment.
And teachers just can't "get another job" in a different state. You have to meet certification requirements, which means jumping through lots of stupid hoops. It often takes months.
I know I'm very traditional when it comes to this stuff. My feeling is that the dad wanted to do this, so he dragged the family along.

sundial
09-08-2008, 04:13 AM
I found their faith and trust in the Lord to be an inspiration. I think this experience will only bring the family closer and imagine the experiences they will have to share with their families. Wow! And I truly believe there will be an outpouring of support from the communities as they trek across America.

Geonz
09-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Now there's a good point... the right attention makes all the difference. The key is "spin" here - if they are perceived as a threat (they might steal stuff) it's a problem; if they're perceived as a family, one of "ours," they'll get support.
Here's hoping they get the good kind of perception.

shootingstar
09-10-2008, 08:18 PM
I know some people see these things as an opportunity; I never could! I could never pack up my family and take them on a trip without knowing what the future was. My kids, who were extremely well rounded and open to new things would have screamed bloody murder if we had taken them out of their environment.
And teachers just can't "get another job" in a different state. You have to meet certification requirements, which means jumping through lots of stupid hoops. It often takes months.
I know I'm very traditional when it comes to this stuff. My feeling is that the dad wanted to do this, so he dragged the family along.

Wonder if they may be doing abit of homeschooling with kids while on the road. With that many children, not everyone is always in agreement with familial major choices...

As long as family can afford to live in rental for awhile afterwards.

Travel most definitely is educational but only if the people's minds are open and hopeful.

Crankin
09-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Well, it definitely is educational. I reread some of the stuff. They just have a different world view than I do. Not bad or good, just different. I can't place faith in anything except myself and my family/or others to make things happen. I am also a planner and I need to know "what is coming next." Perhaps it is a defect, but that is why I like organized bike tours. I can rehearse stuff in my mind and that keeps me grounded. When I don't know what is happening next, it gets me anxious. Not that you can control everything, but I do better when I can partially control what is going on around me.
I don't even like riding when I don't know what is coming. Once I do a route a second time, I am fine, but I generally have a pretty high level of stress when I'm riding in a new area for the first time. Obviously, I do it, but at this point I know to expect the fact that I will be not as relaxed as usual the first time.

Iris616
10-29-2008, 03:36 AM
I've been following this blog since it was posted here. They made it to Portland...but now it looks like their heading back to Ca. I'm not sure how or why. Does any one here know?

BikeDutchess
10-29-2008, 06:02 AM
They rented a U-Haul and drove back to California. In the comments for post 135, they say they are looking for work and housing in the Gilroy, CA area. Again, they're just describing the "what" and not the "why".