PDA

View Full Version : Austria report (no picts yet)

ginny
09-01-2008, 06:51 AM
Hi guys, I'm home! I had an AMAZING trip! Okay, a few mental notes I took for everyone while on my trip: A touring bike can benefit from a big beefy kick stand (everyone in Europe had them) - in fact when I took a ferry with my bike, I was the only one standing there holding it. Every touring bike NEEDS a bell! (particularly if you don't speak the language of the country you are riding in). When the internet says, don't worry everyone speaks English, don't believe it! Panniers with pockets are a good thing (in my opinion). Touring with a buddy would be better than touring alone (that way you don't have to lock up the bike every time you have to pee). Chamois butter is my best friend - I didn't have any ...um... issues. I would strongly recommend the portion of the Danube river trail from Passau to Vienna to anyone thinking about it. It is relatively well marked and the two times I got lost briefly, friendly people rode with me back to the correct place. No one hated me because I was American. I'll work on pictures and post them later. Now to put the bike back together...Cheers!

mudmucker
09-01-2008, 07:04 AM
Looking forward to details and the photo-doc. What bike do you have? Sounds like you brought your own over too.

ginny
09-01-2008, 11:37 AM
I brought my road bike. I actually just bought a Surly LHT (but it arrived while I was gone - picts of that in the main discussion thread soon...) - the Bianchi (Eros Donna) did amazingly well. She rode well when loaded up, but was remarkably heavy and a bit tippy behind when I was trying to walk her. If you only check one piece of luggage, you can check a bike for free (for now) on Lufthansa (probably only an international thing). Hauling a big bike case was interesting, but I was really glad to have my own bike that I know well and fit well for any sort of distance.

Tri Girl
09-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Congrats on successfully completing your trip! I can't wait to hear all about it in more details and with pictures! :D