PDA

View Full Version : Opting out of Nuts and Bolts

pardes
08-31-2008, 10:39 AM
Yes, yes. Another day, another obsession.

All I needed was a quarter-inch bolt, some wing nuts, a few washers and I could attach a camera to the bike.

Then I passed the camera shop and discovered this (http://www.rei.com/gear/feature/search/Google/ultrapod?cm_mmc=ps_google-_-Category%20-%20Camp%2fHike-_-TTO_tripods_brand_ultrapod-_-ultra%20pod&gclid=CMzF-fXZuJUCFQOWHgodUCCMRA) with hidden tripod legs and a sturdy length of velcro for attaching to bikes, trees, your dog.

Like scoops of ice cream, if one is good, two is even better. So I bought two! (two scoops of Ghirardelli ice cream AND two Ultra Pods.)

Now I can film forward and to the side simultaneously. And get in twice the trouble.

I'm trying out different forms of foam for under the camera to prevent the need for Dramamine in the video viewers. "Space" foam is a possibility but first I'll have to pry it out from under Magdalene, the Princess Dachshund.

salsabike
08-31-2008, 11:03 AM
Unless you just start filming from Magdalene's underside...

Pardes, you are so enterprising. Or maybe I am just feeling the contrast between your comfort with various cameras and my own. I still get my thumb in the picture half the time. I once got most of my thigh in a picture of the famous Ryoan-ji rock garden in Japan by trying to sight the long way down the garden's rectangle. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3909.html

I'd post the pic with my thigh but it's in an album and was done in pre-scanning days.

I look forward to seeing more of your filming adventures.

pardes
08-31-2008, 11:24 AM
Salsabike, your link to the photo didn't work.

My father taught me how to shoot a gun, shoot a camera, and ride a bike before his short life ended in 1959.

I like the color and feel and artistry of gun metal merged with wood but think bullets should be illegal.

As for the cameras and bikes, that's been a life-long love affair.

Now get out there and take some more photos!

salsabike
08-31-2008, 11:34 AM
I just hit the link and it worked for me. But see this, anyway. It doesn't have my thigh but that can be imagined...

pardes
08-31-2008, 11:47 AM
Ahhhhh a Zen garden. There's a Zen koan about bikes but it doesn't involve a thigh. It's a nice photo. Have you tried Picassa2, the free photo toucher-upper for tweaking lighting and save to web sizes easily? It's fast and great if you don't want to lug out the monster Photoshop program.