PDA

View Full Version : Tri-specific saddles

trigirl97
04-28-2005, 08:33 AM
Hey everyone,
Sorry for the cross post but I am new to the forum and just found the triathlon board.

After only a 15-mile ride last night, I realized it's good my partner and I aren't having kids because my bike is likely going to halt that!

So, here's my situation...I ride a road bike with clip-on aerobars for triathlons. I have been riding for four years and when straight road cycling (no aero position), I loved my Serfas women's Rx saddle.

But with the Serfas, I found the cutout got smashed when I dropped into my aerobars, and as others have so cleverly referred, my 'girlbits' got pummeled.

I've tried the Terry Butterfly Tri Gel and recently added a DeSoto neoprene seat cover. Still no relief. In fact, last night was ready to throw my bike in the lake last night out of frustration.

But I LOVE riding and don't want to grimace every time I think about hopping on my bike.

Have any of you had success with saddles that you use in the aero position?I've read online that using ones with no cutout are best. I'm looking at trying the San Marco Aspide or Azoto. Anyone tried these?

Thanks for any help/feedback!

trigurl
04-28-2005, 11:37 AM
sorry I am no help, I use a specialized cut out and love it! I don't use aerobars right now - I hope I don't have that problem when I get them. This is the first saddle that HASN'T hurt me! Could it be your shorts? I have had problems with mine, they tend to bunch up and cause rubbing. I have one pair that doesn't and they happen to be bright turquoise :eek:

I hope you have some luck soon, someone here may be able to help you.

madisongrrl
05-28-2005, 08:34 AM
I have a Azoto with a QR neoprene cover. It's not too bad.... I also have a Fitzik Aliante which is awesome, but not a tri-saddle. A saddle should be tolerable at best and will impove with many miles of riding. My aero position and saddle really start to feel good after ~500 miles and simply awesome around 1000 miles. Also when you are riding in the aero position, remember to take a lot of brakes. Get of the the saddle and stretch every 10-20 minutes. At the beginning of the season, I really like bike shorts that have a heavy pad . The only problem is that they get pinchy after 25-30 mile rides. Once I get past 400-500 mile mark (and my bottom has been calloused), I down grade to a pair of shorts that have a thinner pad. This allows me to easily go 40-60 miles with no problems.

The other think I can think of is - have you been professionally fit. Putting clip-ons on a road bike often times will make it unstable. Tri-bike are designed differently. Bike fit and stability could also be affecting your overall comfort on the bike. You might want to even consider ditching the aerobars and just riding your road bike in tri's. You might find it to be more comfortable and just as fast...

Good luck

spazzdog
05-28-2005, 08:52 AM
check out koobi.com

i think they have a tri specific saddle or two.

i ride the SI Classic on my road bike... fabulous! no girly bit squish at all :D

spazz

madisongrrl
05-28-2005, 08:55 AM
my bro has a koobi on his cervelo dual and loves it! He tried the Azoto and it wasn't for him....

CycleGiant3
05-29-2005, 03:38 PM
I have just started with tri's and i do not have much experience with alot of different types of saddles. I do, however, really like the one i have on my bike now. I use Fizik Arione Carbon Wing Flex. It is a non-cut saddle. I tried a Terry and it was ok, but the Arione was much more comfortable for me.

madisongrrl
05-29-2005, 03:49 PM
you might want to also search the archives at slowtwitch for saddle recommendations....It is the best triathlon forum out there....

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?forum=1;