PDA

View Full Version : Help needed for picky eater

MomOnBike
04-28-2005, 07:36 AM
OK, here's the problem.

I'm at the point now that I'm going to have to start seriously thinking of nutrition as I ride. I can't force myself to eat bananas {{shudder}} and I don't trust Gatoraide with all its high-fructose corn syrup and neon colors. Just call me an old Hippy Chick and be done with it, but I really don't want those in my body.

So... now what? I know I need potassium and fuel, mostly. So far diluted orange juice has been the beverage of choice with crunchy granola bars and Paydays as solids.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Oh yeah, I need to be able to pick this up at Kwik-Shop type stores, I am going on a longish ride soon, you know.

And yes, I know I'm impossible. It's part of my charm. :)

CorsairMac
04-28-2005, 07:58 AM
Alacar (re: Emer-Gen-C) makes an electrolyte replacement drink that comes in little packets that could easily fit in a jersey pocket and mixes with water, or tea, or coffe (yup, tried them all). You should be able to find it at any health food store - it's called Electrolyte. No sugar, no junk just all the things you can get from Gatorade without the additives. Also, there is a bar called Larabar. All natural ingrediants again no sugar no additives. They all have dates, some other type of fruit and some type of nut in them so you get your carbs and your proteins and they aren't gooey chewy sticktotheroofofyourmouth or crunchy breakyourteethtryingtobiteit.

MomOnBike
04-28-2005, 08:07 AM
Thanks, I'm going to the health food store pretty soon, I'll look for the Electrolyte. I'll see if they have Larabars, too, but that's probably less likely. We'll see.

I'm trying to avoid hauling a whole week's worth of nourishment with me. I'll probably have to make due with, oh, ice cream cones, or something equally bizarre :D

The Electrolyte sounds packable, though.

snapdragen
04-28-2005, 08:35 AM
Fig Newtons (or Fig Newmans) work for me. Or trail mix, with nuts and raisens. I find the combo of salt and sweet really helps.

DeniseGoldberg
04-28-2005, 08:38 AM
I've found that the bars & drinks available in Kwik-Stop types of places vary based on what area of the country you are in. I do use Gatorade - my preference is for Gatorade Ice, which is clear in color - and found that I need Gatorade or something similar for long rides in hot weather. On the energy bar front, my preference is for Pria bars or Luna bars, but I've tasted enough of the others to know what I can manage to eat - so I can usually find something in those stores. The other thing I make sure I have with me (and that can easily be picked up in that type of store) are some nuts - peanuts are my usual, but cashews or almonds work for me too.

--- Denise

SadieKate
04-28-2005, 08:40 AM
PayDays get a very high nutritional rating - right up there with the fancy energy bars. I use these and Mojo bars which are not so readily available.

AutumnBreez
04-28-2005, 09:03 AM
Fig Newtons (or Fig Newmans) work for me. Or trail mix, with nuts and raisens. I find the combo of salt and sweet really helps.

Figs are high in potassium, fiber and source of calcium

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?pfriendly=1&tname=foodspice&dbid=24

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/foods_view/1,1523,51,00.html

For children, but found very helpful in the information
http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/uvahealth/peds_urology/potassiu.cfm

CorsairMac
04-28-2005, 11:57 AM
wow - that's nice to know! tnx for that tip AB!

Holy Smokes: did ya see the potassium and carbs in just 4 dried figs?? Coming my way - a new taste treat! ;)

snapdragen
04-28-2005, 04:43 PM
Something else - dates! Someone brought some on a recent ride, they were great. I have no idea what the nutritional value is though.

More and more I find I prefer "real food" to any of the energy bars, except for the Mojo bars - yum!

MomOnBike
04-28-2005, 06:57 PM
Fig Newtons! Duh, I shoulda thought of that.

OK, I have Electrolyte packets and a Fig Newton and Payday budget. Forget the Larabars, I'm good to go. :D

I think I'll do the whole date and fig thing at home, or on day trips. This time, I'm not carrying anything extra. (Riiiight)

Bike Goddess
04-28-2005, 08:18 PM
Hey MOM- I used the Electolytes you have and they WORK. I put them in diluted juice on the Wildflower Century. No cramps during or After :D :D

I don't eat alot on rides- I just eat at every rest stop and do a small bit of a bar before I am going to climb. My system doesn't like hi sugar content either- upsets my tummy!

What kind of ride are you going on? I started using the Elect packets about 3 hours into the ride.

BIG WARNING- DON'T drink a lot of coffee before hand unless you follow it with tons of water. COFFEE and TEA (even greentea) take electrolytes OUT of your system!!!!!

CorsairMac
04-29-2005, 07:00 AM
Fig Newtons! Duh, I shoulda thought of that.

OK, I have Electrolyte packets and a Fig Newton and Payday budget. Forget the Larabars, I'm good to go. :D

I think I'll do the whole date and fig thing at home, or on day trips. This time, I'm not carrying anything extra. (Riiiight)

Whewwwwwwwww I"m glad to hear you found them coz I went home last night and checked the box and discovered they were called ElectroMix! :cool: But I had the right manufacturer so I was hoping they would be easy to find! :) I usually carry 2 water bottles - one with water and one with this mix in it and then carry a couple of packets so I can mix as I need to during the ride.

annie
04-30-2005, 05:26 PM
MOB,

How many miles do you plan on riding per day? If you are doing lots of miles (lots = over 70?) or extremely hilly and challenging terrain, just make sure you eat enough to keep going! You may start out a picky eater and end up glad to find food! :rolleyes:
Try and have one GOOD meal a day, either breakfast, which gives you a good start, or your dinner after you are done riding for the day. You're gonna burn tons of calories, pedaling yourself and your gear, so don't hesitate to replace them to keep your engine fueled.

I am so jealous! I want to do a long trip, too! :D I will just have to settle for reading about other peoples' rides for now.

Have fun!!!!!!

annie

MomOnBike
05-01-2005, 08:47 PM
Thanks, everyone for the help. I've got a better handle on things nutritional than I did before.

Hmmm, how many miles a day DO I have in me? I really don't know - I guess I'll find out, won't I? I'm guessing around 50-60 a day, depending on the hills and just how many flowers need to have my nose stuck into the middle of them. This is one reason I don't think touring with others would be good for me. William and I can be unpredictable - and we're proud of it. DH has learned to cope, but I'm not sure others need to.

I'm planning on keeping fueled. I have never been able to look a day in the face without breakfast, for instance. And isn't ice cream a necessity on long tours? This trip isn't about loosing wieght.

Tea, in spite of its diuretic properties is a must for me. If I give it up for a week, I'll just be mean and miserable. Not an option. I'll just have to drink more other stuff. The Electrolyte packets seem to be just the thing.

I'm really looking forward to this trip. Anyone who wants to is welcome to come along in spirit. :D

CorsairMac
05-01-2005, 09:19 PM
I'm really looking forward to this trip. Anyone who wants to is welcome to come along in spirit. :D

Hoping my thoughts will be the wind beneath your wings! Ride well and prosper!