PDA

View Full Version : Event: Metric Century in Ashford, CT

berkeley
08-27-2008, 01:20 PM
This is a fund raising event to benefit the Ashford Recreation Department put on by Nerac Earth Cycling Club. Both routes are fully supported and include the quiet and rolling hills of Ashford, Eastford and Woodstock. Come out and enjoy the stunning fall foliage in classic New England!!

Link to register on bikereg:
https://www.bikereg.com/promoter/EventPrevi...sp?EventID=6830

Link to event website:
http://ashfordmetriccentury.wordpress.com/

Registration starts at 8am and ends at 9:30am. All riders should be on the road by 9:45am. Day of race registration will be an additional $5 for each ride ($20 for the 25 miler and $25 for the 62 miler), so register online to save a little money!

There will be one rest stop on the 25 mile ride and several rest stops on the 62 mile ride. Rest stops will be stocked with snacks, water, and we will have a floor pump and basic repair tools.

Participants should ride with a tube, tire levers, pump, and patch kit in case of flat tires.

Date: Sunday, October 5th 2008

Time: 62 mile 9:00am start

25 mile 9:30 am start

Registration is from 8:00 am to 9:30 am

Directions:

Ride starts at Ashford Elementary School on Route 89 in Ashford, CT

Ashford Elementary School
440 Westford Rd.
Ashford, CT 06278

From the South and Willimantic:
From Willimantic take Route 195 north toward The University of Connecticut. In Mansfield Center turn right onto Route 89. Follow Route 89 north into Ashford. Cross Route 44. Ashford School is located on Route 89 2 miles north of the intersection with Route 44.

From the West and Hartford:
Take I-84 East to Exit 69. Turn right onto Route 74. Follow Route 74 through Willington to Route 44 in Ashford. Turn left on Route 44 to the intersection of Route 89. Turn left on Route 89. The school is on the right 2 miles to the north.

From the North and Massachusetts:
Take I-84 to Exit 72. Turn left on Route 89. Follow Route 89 (south) watching the signs because it turns twice. Ashford School is located on the left side of Route 89 about 6 miles from I-84.

From the East and Rhode Island:
From the Rhode Island border take Route 101 west. It merges with Route 44 in Pomfret. Continue on Route 44 west until Route 89 in Ashford. Turn right on Route 89. Ashford school is located on the right about 2 miles north of Route 44.

Over50Newbie
08-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Hi Berkeley,

I live about 20 minutes from Ashford.

Any chance that you can get a route map for the metric century?

I would like to check out the elevation.

Thanks,

Lynette

Edit: I just found this route on MapMyRide - is this it?

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/ct/ashford/188453528

berkeley
09-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Yep, I believe that's it. Some people have done a test ride and they said it was a somewhat challenging ride - it's quite hilly out that way! But the route is a really pretty one.

berkeley
09-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Corrected bikereg link:
http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=6830

indigoiis
09-18-2008, 05:56 AM
I'd like to make this one.
I've ridden over there. Yeah on the hills baby!!!
;)

berkeley
10-01-2008, 04:29 PM
I'd like to make this one.
I've ridden over there. Yeah on the hills baby!!!
;)

C'mon over!!

We did a pre-ride last weekend, and it was HILLY. Very nice route though, lots of rural and will be gorgeous with the fall colors.

MtnBikerChk
10-03-2008, 02:36 AM
C'mon over!!

We did a pre-ride last weekend, and it was HILLY. Very nice route though, lots of rural and will be gorgeous with the fall colors.

I'm so dead.

berkeley
10-04-2008, 05:31 AM
I'm so dead.

You will totally be fine! Think of it as training for the MS100 next year. :D

indigoiis
10-06-2008, 06:26 AM
How did this go? I had to get hay Saturday and wiped myself out putting it up - and when we saw the weather upon waking Sunday, we decided not to go.

berkeley
10-06-2008, 06:50 AM
It was wet. And cold. And just generally miserable weather-wise!

BUT...the route is really nice. Lots of hills, but no single one that really kills you. It's well marked on the road, so if the weather is nice, I might actually try it again on my own... you know... when it's not cold and rainy!

It was a well-planned event, good rest stops and a nice goody bag. Too bad the weather didn't cooperate.