PDA

View Full Version : For Denise or any one on Speedplay Frogs

Jo-n-NY
04-27-2005, 07:40 PM
Hi Denise,
Since you have mentioned using Speedplay Frogs in other posts I thought I would direct this question to you. I had spd's on my bike that we had laying around in the garage to see if I liked the whole clippless idea. Needless to say I do. So I just got the Frogs, my husband just put them on for me and I gave them a try on the trainer. (BTW, I use a Specialized Mtn shoe.) They seem too easy. Clipping in is fine, no problems, but I feel that I am not really "clipping" out. I just turn my foot at the slightest angle and out it comes from the clip. I read where there are not adjustments to be made because they have no springs. I was just wondering if this was normal. I feel if I stand going up a hill that my foot might come right out.

As always, thanks much!

~ JoAnn

DeniseGoldberg
04-28-2005, 02:39 AM
I wonder if it just feels odd to you because of the difference between the free float and the pedals you tried initially. I've never had my Frogs unclip on me while I was riding, and that is pedaling both seated and standing (and that is including my accident last year - a neighbor who saw me down on the side of the road said that I was still clipped in!). And remember, there is no feeling of unclipping since there is nothing you have to push your foot through to unclip - it's a simple no-pressure movement.

One suggestion - can you put your bike on a trainer and experiment with the pedals? To start with just move your heel to the outside and lift to see exactly where the release point is? Maybe just seeing and feeling where that is while you aren't moving will solve the problem for you. Hopefully your foot's normal peddling position isn't such that the Frog unclips!

--- Denise

Jo-n-NY
04-28-2005, 04:16 AM
Thanks Denise,
Actually I did put the bike on my trainer last night. They do not unclip while pedaling. I turn my heal out no more than a quarter rotation, they just come right out. I read about accident by the way when I first began reading the boards and I was greatly inspired by your continued determination. Anyway, if I was in an accident like that or the accident that Emily just had, I honestly do not think I my foot would be clipped in.

Maybe I call the 1-800 # and ask them about this. Of course I still welcome any light that you may be able to shead.

~ JoAnn

DeniseGoldberg
04-28-2005, 04:40 AM
JoAnn -
I just checked the FAQs on the Speedplay site for the Frog Pedals - maybe this suggestion will help you:

Q: Can the release angle be adjusted?

A: Yes, the release angle can be adjusted slightly by rotating the cleat. Rotate the front of the cleat outward to reduce inward rotation. This will require you to turn your foot further outward to release. Rotate the front of the cleat inward to increase inward rotation. This also reduces the distance you must turn your foot to release.

The rest of the FAQs are at http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.frogfaqs.

Sounds like changing the positioning of the cleat may help...

Let me know what happens!
--- Denise

Jo-n-NY
04-28-2005, 05:56 AM
Thanks Denise, I went had went on their page last night but didn't see that question. Unfortunately with my Specialized Mtn shoe the cleat just fits in. I am going out for a ride now. I give them a try. I will let you know how I make out. I guess it just feels weird not having give any force or effort to clip out. I will call Speedplay anyway later. They are on the west coast so it is a bit too early now.

Later ~ JoAnn

DeniseGoldberg
04-28-2005, 06:07 AM
Unfortunately with my Specialized Mtn shoe the cleat just fits in.

With the old Frog cleats I actually had to carve away a little bit of the shoe to fit the cleat in - no problem with the new cleats though. I got new shoes this year, and the new cleat fits. Nice!

It might be worth trying to carve out a bit more space to allow you to move the cleat just a little bit...

--- Denise

emily_in_nc
04-28-2005, 06:17 AM
Anyway, if I was in an accident like that or the accident that Emily just had, I honestly do not think I my foot would be clipped in.
~ JoAnn

I was riding my Speedplay Zeros the day I had my accident, and they are quite hard to clip out of (even harder to clip into). It takes a forceful turn of the ankle, and I hear a strong CLICK when I clip out. However, I hit the pavement with such force that both feet clipped out on their own, and my bike went flying. I didn't even see where my bike ended up; one second I was riding, and the next I was lying on my side on the pavement all by myself.

So...I guess my point is not to worry about what would happen in a crash, but do make sure that you don't unclip accidentally while riding. I think the only way to check this is just to ride and see if it happens, if that doesn't seem too scary to you. If it happened to me, I'd just clip back in and keep going, but I would want to do whatever was necessary to prevent it from happening again. My husband rides Frogs on his touring bike and says that they are VERY easy to clip in and out of, but he has never had a problem clipping out accidentally.

Good luck!

Emily

Jo-n-NY
04-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Thank you so much Denise and Emily for all your imput. Although my husband and I put the bikes in the van in hopes of finding someplace to ride in the mist of running errands, we never did end up finding the time. (so glad I played hooky from work today <grins>).

I did call speedplay when I got home and the nice gentleman told me that is exactly how they are suppose to work. They are made to give less knee problems by not having a tension spot to unclip. I had my girlfriend try them on the trainer. She has one of the speedplay X models and she thought they worked fine and actually liked them better than hers.

I guess from going from a pedal harder to unclip and going to something that seems so easy will take getting use to. As the weather here is not suppose to be nice the next couple of days, I will be riding on my trainer, and hopefully hit the road on Sunday. I will be happy to give a report then.

Emily, with such a fall and your bike flying, it is amazing that your bike is ok. Thank goodness for you and your bike. Wishing you continued get well wishes. :)

~ JoAnn

Jo-n-NY
04-28-2005, 08:24 PM
With the old Frog cleats I actually had to carve away a little bit of the shoe to fit the cleat in - no problem with the new cleats though. I got new shoes this year, and the new cleat fits. Nice!

It might be worth trying to carve out a bit more space to allow you to move the cleat just a little bit...

--- Denise
I was wondering if you had the new cleats. It is probably just me needing to get us to them. See more below. Again, thank you!

DeniseGoldberg
04-29-2005, 01:39 AM
I was wondering if you had the new cleats.
I decided it was time for new biking shoes this year, and when I ordered my shoes and new cleats I made sure that the cleats were this year's model - the one's that were designed to be narrower! Much nicer, although I've always had to "fix" my shoes before...

Hopefully you'll like your new pedals once you are accustomed to their behavior.
--- Denise