PDA

View Full Version : My accident

emily_in_nc
04-27-2005, 10:41 AM
Hi all, I've been away for awhile. Unfortunately, I had an accident on my bike recently. On Sunday the 17th, my husband and I were heading out for a 60-mile training ride (for a century on May 6), when a couple of big, black dogs approached us from the side. In trying to escape the dogs, I went down with a bang and fractured my pelvis in three places. I had to be rushed to the ER at Duke and had surgery the following day to put a big plate on my right illium. I was in the hospital until last Friday.

I am home now with a hospital bed, wheelchair, walker, and port-a-potty. I can't put my weight on the leg for eight weeks. Looks like I'll be riding the trainer again before I dare ride the roads. We're going to have to come up with a good dog strategy for the future as I have always been scared of them and am now terrified. In a silver lining, my lovely Aegis Swift seems fine; so far the only obvious damage is a scuffed Terry Butterfly saddle. My pelvis definitely took the brunt of the accident.

I also came down on the side of my head. My helmet didn't even crack, and I had no concussion. I am very thankful I was wearing a helmet as I might have had a severe head injury otherwise. Wear your helmets, ladies, and be careful out there!

Emily in NC

Adventure Girl
04-27-2005, 10:48 AM
Oh oh oh oh oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! :(

I hope you feel better soon!!!

{{{{{HUG}}}}}

SadieKate
04-27-2005, 10:49 AM
Oh, Emily! I'm sending healing brainwaves to you! Ommmmm!

SK

fixedgeargirl
04-27-2005, 10:52 AM
Emily, I'm so sorry to hear of your accident!!! That sounds frightening and painful. I hope you are healing well now that you are home. If I lived near by I'd come cook some dinner!!!!! You are already on the road back.

DeniseGoldberg
04-27-2005, 11:28 AM
Emily -
I'm so sorry to hear of your accident, and I'm very glad that you always wear a helmet. I wish I could help in some way, but I guess the good wishes that I'm sending your way for a fast and good recovery will have to do for now. If there's anything I can do, please let me know. And if it would help to talk to someone who was going through her own version of bicycle withdrawal last summer, I'm here!

http://denise.smugmug.com/photos/20672533-S-1.jpg
This is BikerChick. A friend gave her to me to help with my recovery last year, and she made sure to exercise my bikes for me when I wasn't able to. Anyway, BikerChick sends you get well wishes too.

--- Denise

MightyMitre
04-27-2005, 11:33 AM
Hi Emily - very sorry to hear about your accident. That's horrid! You may have read about my riding partners husband in January who amongst other things broke his pelvis too, so I know how you must be suffering.

I hope you heal soon. I guess the next few weeks will be a good time to catch up on all those books you meant to read and films you never got a chance to watch. Still, not a substitute for being out on the bike. :(

BTW - I'm sure you've got this covered - it's probably an automatic thing in the US but just thought I'd mention it. As you're going to be immobile for some time will you be taking any medication to make sure deep vein thrombosis at kept at bay?

nuthatch
04-27-2005, 11:38 AM
Emily, what awful news!!! I bet it all happened in a split-second - I just hate to hear about any of us having an accident. Any long-term difficulties forseen by the docs? Is the plate temporary? Take your calcium!

Good thought on the DVT, MM. I think muscley legs might be prone to it - anyone know?

Dirt Girl
04-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Emily! I've been wondering where you were! And hoping it was something like a long, lovely vacation. I'm so sorry to hear otherwise.

Sending you good wishes for a full and quick recovery!

AutumnBreez
04-27-2005, 12:24 PM
I am sending you healing energy too! Om
Agree on the helmet use, you are a smart woman to wear it at all times!

You will be on my mind now that I have read this.

Take care sweety, we will keep watching for your healing reports. Love fromBreezy

Selkie
04-27-2005, 12:27 PM
Emily - So sorry to hear about your mishap. Thank goodness you're ok (and the dogs didn't come after you on top of everything else!!!). Make sure your husband treats you extra special while you recouperate. Probably most of us on the board have had down time due to injuries, so we know how it feels. :( I hope you heal quickly.

emily_in_nc
04-27-2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks for all the kind words, ladies! I knew you all were the greatest...

Re. DVT, yes indeedy. I've been on an injectible blood thinner since a couple of days after surgery. I give myself a shot every night in my tummy - not the most fun, but necessary. I also do tons of calf exercises and moving around to keep chances lower.

The plate is permanent (thank goodness). I shouldn't have to have any further surgeries unless I don't heal properly.

I am taking tons of calcium plus eating yogurt, skim milk, almonds, and broccoli (all good sources).

I should be back 100% per the surgeons. I got a couple of the very best in their field, so I feel very fortunate to live in an area with great hospitals. Duke ranks way up there for trauma cases and orthopedics, as well as sports medicine.

It is time for a nap! Thanks again for your kind thoughts....

Emily

Melody
04-27-2005, 12:42 PM
Emily, get well soon! Healing always sucks. :( I'm sorry that you ended up in the accident. :(

Sending healing thoughts too :)

Mel

CorsairMac
04-27-2005, 12:51 PM
adding you to my list of prayers Em! I'm so sorry to hear about your accident!! I'm very glad to hear you're back home and already working on your recovery!! Take it slow and let your body do what it does best when it come to healing! coz we sure hope to see you back here on the the TE board And on the BJ.com Team Estrogen Team logging in miles and having some friendly competition along with the rest of us!!!

shewhobikes
04-27-2005, 01:05 PM
I am so very sorry to hear this. We all hope you get better REALLY soon. Take care of yourself.

Veronica
04-27-2005, 01:10 PM
Ouch, ouch ouch! Take it easy and get healed soon. Tell us about all the great books and movies you see while you're resting.

V.

Adventure Girl
04-27-2005, 01:14 PM
...we sure hope to see you back here on the the TE board And on the BJ.com Team Estrogen Team logging in miles and having some friendly competition along with the rest of us!!!Can she count her wheel chair miles on bikejournal? :p

nuthatch
04-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Can she count her wheel chair miles on bikejournal? :p

Absolutely!!! We've got to get her a wheelchair specific odometer!!!

Technotart
04-27-2005, 01:19 PM
I have had a fractured pelvis - I would rather give birth to 10 pound quintuplets than to go through a fractured pelvis again!!! That is PAINFUL!

I feel for you - the good news is yes life does return to normal and so will you - even if it doesn't feel that way right now. It's very hard to be where you are. Get moving again as soon as your docs and PT's give you the go ahead. Swimming worked wonders for me because I didn't have to put weight on my pelvis to do it.

<<HUGS>> :o

Michelle

Surlygirl
04-27-2005, 01:33 PM
Oh Emily, I'm so sorry. Get well soon.

aka_kim
04-27-2005, 01:57 PM
Very sorry to hear of the accident, but glad to hear you're healing.

About those tummy injections -- is that heparin? Any possibility you could switch to coumadin by mouth? (Sorry, I'm sure the injection is the least of your worries, but injections in the belly make me cringe.)

doc
04-27-2005, 02:04 PM
Oh No. I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. Be sure to give us regular book and movie reviews, not to mention health updates. Hope you're walking soon. That will probably be heavenly when you get there. Meanwhile, take care of yourself.

spazzdog
04-27-2005, 02:16 PM
So sorry to hear you were hurt. Like all the grrls say though, sounds like you are on the mend. I'm sure you'll be back in the saddle in no time.

And about the cyclometer on the wheelchair; I'm betting you could do it. Wheelchair wheels can be measured the same way as bike wheels... and boy oh boy Emily! Will you ever have arms of iron.

All the best!

spazz

CorsairMac
04-27-2005, 02:17 PM
Can she count her wheel chair miles on bikejournal? :p

Miles are miles - and it's probably got 2 wheels (and some training wheels) so we can call it a recumbent!!! There ya go Em - measure those wheels, put that cylcometer on there and play pretend!!!

MightyMitre
04-27-2005, 02:20 PM
Glad to hear you're sorted on the DVT prevention front. The only reason I mentioned it was because of my friends husband. He had multiple fractures all over his body after he was hit by a car, so there were lots of different bits of him that hurt.

For whatever reason, once he left hospital he wasn't given any anti-thrombosis medication and after 6 weeks immobile he developed a clot in his groin. After another brief spell in hospital while they sorted it out he's feeling a lot better and is even back at work now, 3 days a week.

Both my friend and I feel very annoyed that he had to go through this when it was avoidable, but I guess you can only look to the future.

After this I decided that if I came across anyone unfortunate enough to be immobile for any length of time that I'd just mention DVT, so they don't have to go through the same thing as my friends husband.

Anyway, take it easy and keep us posted on your progress. :)

SandyLS
04-27-2005, 02:42 PM
Emily,
I just wanted to add my wishes for a speedy healing. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Sandy

emily_in_nc
04-27-2005, 03:09 PM
About those tummy injections -- is that heparin? Any possibility you could switch to coumadin by mouth? (Sorry, I'm sure the injection is the least of your worries, but injections in the belly make me cringe.)

It's actually Luvenox. Not sure why they gave me that rather than coumadin (which my grandmother, who had heart problems took for years), I but I am not going to change now. I have the entire 14-day Luvenox kit, and if I hadn't had Rx insurance, it would have been - are you ready for this - $1049! With Medco insurance, I paid around $50. So, I do plan to use it all in the interest of not being wasteful. The shots are really not bad. I'd given myself Lupron shots in the thighs for infertility years ago so knew the drill pretty well.

Emily

P.S. I am a Bike Journal member but log my miles against the Bike Friday club. Unfortunately, they don't let you do that for more than one club, and I started with BF before the Team Estrogen club started up. My miles won't be increasing too much for awhile, though. Don't think I can get away with wheelchair miles! ;)

SadieKate
04-27-2005, 03:18 PM
P.S. I am a Bike Journal member but log my miles against the Bike Friday club. Unfortunately, they don't let you do that for more than one club, and I started with BF before the Team Estrogen club started up. My miles won't be increasing too much for awhile, though. Don't think I can get away with wheelchair miles! ;)They have a handcrank category. Seems reasonable to me!

My thoughts are with you!

SK

snowtulip
04-27-2005, 03:42 PM
Emily,
I'm sending you plenty of get well vibes, I also tried to search out a thread that spazzdog started about books and movies, I think this is it http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=1629&highlight=american+flyer

This way you have some bike related reading and movie options.

Sending more vibes! :p

Bike Goddess
04-27-2005, 03:53 PM
Emily- The Bike Godess is waving her magic goddess wand and wishing you a speedy recovery. Since you were in such good shape, I'll bet you are healed in no time at all! :) :)

Movies, DVD, all the latest soaps! You could be our TE news correspondent :D :D. Looks like you can get to a computer- good thing! At least we can hear from you- another good thing! :D :D

MomOnBike
04-27-2005, 03:55 PM
OUCH! :eek:

I wouldn't wish a busted pelvis on my worst enemy. I watched my Dad and his broken pelvis (horse reared up and over and fell on him). It was no fun for anybody.

Still, it seems like you are getting good medical care. Listen to the docs and PT people, come here for moral support and you'll be fine.

I hear cookies are a very good remedy for whatever ailes a person... :rolleyes:

Keep us informed.

wabisabi
04-27-2005, 03:56 PM
Oh, dear, I am so sorry to hear about your injuries, and very glad that your head is OK. Sending healing light!

KSH
04-27-2005, 05:00 PM
WOW!

That is so scary. It is a solemn reminder to all of us to always wear our helmets and to be safe as possible.

Best of luck in healing up quick!

Pedal Wench
04-27-2005, 05:17 PM
Oh Emily!

That's awful!!! I couldn't imagine what would happen to me in that situation (live alone, no real friends nearby, no family, BF lives 600 miles away...) so I hope your hubby is taking very, very good care of you! I live close enough that I can run up there and smack him upside the head if he isn't! Let us know if you need any help, encouragement, whatever!

If it's any consolation (and I hope it is!) stories of your adventures up in NY last summer convinced me and mine to do a tour this summer (supported though) so know that your spirit will be out on the road with me.

Take care, and keep us posted!

Leslie2 in ATL! (mixn_vixen from Yahoo!)

annie
04-27-2005, 06:49 PM
:( :( :( Major deja vu here! Emily, I broke my pelvis in a similar manner (tho' no dogs involved, just inattention on my part). Hit the rear wheel ahead of me and went down - hard. Tried to get up and passed out from the pain. I ache now thinking of you and ache for what you are going through. I can tell you, tho', that the healing process is an amazing thing! It happens slowly, on it's own schedule, but it does happen. Not going to go into many details now, but if you want to ask anything at all, just PM me.

annie

:::::::::sending vitual energy and healing to Emily::::::::::::::::

LBTC
04-27-2005, 06:56 PM
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Emily}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I'm so sorry for your very serious injury! As you can see, you have lots of support here! Keep the reports coming and just type whatever comes to you. It's great that you have good spirits about it, that will help you heal, and we're all happy to see that you're feeling positive. Don't be afraid to type your sad/worried/scared/sore thoughts, too, okay? We're here for you! :)

Namaste,
~T~

Trek420
04-27-2005, 07:55 PM
Owwiiieeeee. Feel better soon.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ hugs }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}Sending cyber chicken soup

Susan126
04-27-2005, 08:23 PM
So sorry to hear about your accident Emily. Here's to a fast recovery! Sending prayers and good waves your way! Sue

Jo-n-NY
04-27-2005, 08:39 PM
Hi Emily,
As I read more than I write, I did notice you have not been on the board. I am so sorry for your accident and am happy to hear you will make a full recovery. Your accident is my worst nightmare, may it be a dog, kids, a car just coming out from no where.

Whenever you are up to it, give us an update on your progress.

In my thoughts ~ JoAnn

massbikebabe
04-27-2005, 09:23 PM
Emily:

So sorry to hear of your accident. I wish you a quick recovery...and am sending you a big virtual hug.

karen

gilly
04-28-2005, 12:38 AM
I love that you sound so positive and chirpy Emily :D

Take special care (and lots of it)

Gilly
x

Grog
04-28-2005, 05:13 AM
I am very, very sorry about your accident (and a bit frightened, I admit...) , and all my thoughts are with you... Good luck and get well soon (but be patient to!).

Hugs

emily_in_nc
04-28-2005, 06:24 AM
:( :( :( Major deja vu here! Emily, I broke my pelvis in a similar manner (tho' no dogs involved, just inattention on my part). Hit the rear wheel ahead of me and went down - hard. Tried to get up and passed out from the pain. I ache now thinking of you and ache for what you are going through. I can tell you, tho', that the healing process is an amazing thing! It happens slowly, on it's own schedule, but it does happen. Not going to go into many details now, but if you want to ask anything at all, just PM me.

annie

:::::::::sending vitual energy and healing to Emily::::::::::::::::

Annie, thanks so much for posting - your experience gives me much hope that I'll be back in the saddle and strong as ever one day. I just have to work on my fears and ability to deal with dogs more than anything else, once I am physically healed.

Emily

P.S. All of you mentioning books, DVDs, movies, etc., I've been surprised how little time I've had for that so far. Since I've been home from the hospital (I was so doped up there I didn't do much but snooze and watch occasional TV), I've only managed to read about 3 magazines, no books, and have watched no movies since this happened. I think once I was able to use my computer again, that about killed all the intellectual pursuits for me. ;) My inbox is flowing with notes from friends all over, family, coworkers, and I've been trying to reply and send reports; then there is lots of PT and exercising, naps, meals, bathroom breaks (everything takes longer with a wheelchair and walker), and I love reality TV, so that keeps me busy at night. Perhaps before this is all behind me I will actually have time to read some real books and watch some movies. I have a few unwatched movie videos I am looking forward to fitting in, including "The Hours". May sweeps on TV is liable to keep most of my evenings busy, though. And of course this forum, which I love so much.

emily_in_nc
04-28-2005, 06:27 AM
I love that you sound so positive and chirpy Emily :D

Take special care (and lots of it)

Gilly
x

Awww, thanks, Gilly! Reading the outpouring of supportive responses here has definitely helped me be positive. You are all the greatest! Hugs to all!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ Team E forum ladies }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Emily

susan.wells
04-28-2005, 09:09 AM
So sorry to hear about your accident. Wishing you a speedy complete recovery!

Susan

DirtDiva
04-28-2005, 11:25 AM
{{{Emily}}}

Hugs and cookies.

RoadRaven
04-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Oh Emily... what terrible news about the crash... what wonderful news that you are recovering well... and such courage to still be here, and be talking about getting back on the bike. You're an inspiration.

Re recovery: If you eat vitimin-c-rich foods (like tomatoes or kiwifruit) when you eat iron-rich foods (like meat or silverbeet) it will help you absorb the iron more easily and efficiently and help with muscle growth and blood supply.

I have dogs just next door and yelling at them every time has been enough. I think I will work on developing some kind of electrical 'repulser' or maybe front and side mounted BB guns... I'll trial it on them (neighbours dogs) and send you your own...

Seriously though, has anyone 'dealt' with the dogs or the owner?

Sending you sunshine hugs and chocolate dreams from NZ

PS (EDIT)
My gf who works with birthing women told me the other day that calcium is one of the things that lifts our pain tolerance... however, sugar reduces calciums effectiveness... so the barley sugars I sucked on during my labours were probably not the right thing to have...
But its just a thought... when the pain seems worse, see if it is timed with some sugary snack... reducing sugary snacks might be a way to ease your recovery just a little...

Sending you sugar-free chocky to snack on
RR

spazzdog
04-28-2005, 01:46 PM
For a discussion that pretty much covers cyclists and dogs, go here:
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=30&highlight=dogs

I got my butt toasted pretty well in that forum (with good reason from each standpoint)... but as you will see if you'll read the entire thread, we all kissed and made up. That's just the way it is on TE :D

spazz

SadieKate
04-28-2005, 02:22 PM
I love it! I actually ended up laughing at the end of that thread. Wonderful that everyone could play nice and make it all work out. Brought back 2 memories for me. One is when a crazy lady opened her trailer door and sent her 2 Great Danes after my hubby when he was on an incredibly steep hill with no outlet. Of course, the dogs were smart enough to get on both sides of the bike. Ever seen the size of the hole from a Great Dane canine tooth? Fortunately, lycra makes a good pressure bandage.

The other is when hubby was almost hit by three, count 'em three, bears! We were mtnbiking and twin cubs suddenly came tumbling head over heels across the trail in front of hubby who stopped in just the nick of time and then stood there in wonder watching them climb the closest tree. He stood there until I told him Mom was going to come along any second and definitely make sure there was a collision, so hadn't we better get motoring? Fortunately, she decided that we were stupid , frail, inconsequential little pink things, sneered at us and ambled on.

Dealing with one animal is bad enough, but when you're faced with multiples at the same time? Emily, I can certainly understand why your hubby went into full defense mode for both of you. Hopefully, you'll be off the dopey meds soon.

CorsairMac
04-28-2005, 02:32 PM
For a discussion that pretty much covers cyclists and dogs, go here:
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=30&highlight=dogs

I got my butt toasted pretty well in that forum (with good reason from each standpoint)... but as you will see if you'll read the entire thread, we all kissed and made up. That's just the way it is on TE :D

spazz

I was pretty new to the board then and the way everyone handled Spazz and her dog was when I knew This board was the place for me. No one got ugly, no one got mean or nasty and Everyone was so proud of Spazz's and Quid's accomplishments I knew I had found a group of people I wanted to be a part of!
Seque: the same group of people that are praying and sending Em all the healing thoughts we can to get her well and up on the pretty pink bike!!!

bikerchick68
04-28-2005, 04:20 PM
Oh my word... I am SO sorry to hear of your accident and SO glad you were wearing your helmet... I have to say that dogs scare the bejeezez outta me too... and rightly so...

I hope your recovery goes well... listen to the docs and don't push it (this coming from the queen of "damn docs don't know what they're talkin about!")

here's a flower for your bedside...

Cdalekat
04-28-2005, 07:02 PM
OUCH! Best of luck to you on your recovery.

I've been through the pevlis-broken-in-3-places thing, so I have an idea about what pain you have. Recovery (including walking again) was a long, hard road. Listen to your body and you'll be fine.

I was really worried about biking being too painful for me after the pelvis breaks, but it turned out to be painless! (ok, so I am riding full suspension mountain). So hopefully biking again is something you can look forward to. :)

As for the wheelchair - I used a wheeled desk chair for getting around the house. WAY easier. Just push with your feet (this means you will be traveling backwards). But this meant I could fit in a bathroom with my desk chair and use the toilet instead of the chair potty. (I was allowed to stand and pivot on one foot since all of my breaks were on one side).

Heal well.

Karen London
04-29-2005, 10:13 AM
is there any chance you could sue those *&-(&^ dogs? :p

get well soon

caligurl
04-29-2005, 10:22 AM
oh emily... how awful! i'm glad to hear that you are home from the hospital and on the mend! take care and you'll be back in the saddle before you know it! {{HUGS}}

betagirl
04-29-2005, 05:01 PM
Ouch Emily! You sound in good spirits at least, which is half the battle. I second the cookies for you!

Take care and get better.

Trek420
05-04-2005, 11:55 AM
ouch, Emily. Get better soon

http://girlbike.com/

is this you? if so, let's all sign the get well card.

emily_in_nc
05-04-2005, 02:32 PM
ouch, Emily. Get better soon

http://girlbike.com/

is this you? if so, let's all sign the get well card.

Yep, it's me. I get around. ;) Just not on two wheels these days - oh yeah, unless you count my wheelchair!!! :D

Emily