PDA

View Full Version : what the *(&#(@$)?

LBTC
04-26-2005, 06:52 PM
I am sick again. :mad:

I can't believe it. stomach all gross. energy way low. shivering even though it's warm.

I've recently had a blood test. it was normal.

I'm basically at my wit's end. every time I start ramping up my training again - and I don't think it's that crazy a training schedule - a few days later I get sick. :eek: DH has decided I won't be riding tomorrow night - probably a wise call - but also thinks I should not race May 7. I'm very sad and very disappointed.

Now, thank you so much for allowing me to whine and carry on. Please continue as you were. :p

Namaste,
~T~

Veronica
04-26-2005, 07:00 PM
A lot of junk is going around. Do you work with the public? I had like a 5th of my class out at various points last week, all with different things. One of them apparently had a cold with a vicious runny nose and a wicked sore throat.

Hope you feel better soon.

V.

LBTC
04-26-2005, 07:24 PM
Not much contact with the public. I work with about 60 other people in an old building. Many of them have kids. :eek: We're moving to a new building next week. Perhaps I'll get sick there less..... One can only hope. :o

thanks for the encouragement, V! You're a gem!

Namaste,
~T~

yellow
04-26-2005, 08:04 PM
I think I'm getting the wicked California sore throat. I haven't been sick in probably 5-6 years--no colds, nothing--so it's taken me by surprise. I thought it may just be allergies but it seems to be getting worse. Good thing I've gotten lots of playing in lately. Hopefully it'll blow through quickly.

I'm having my tea right now.

Dogmama
04-27-2005, 03:39 AM
I'm so sorry you're sick & I know how it is. I've had more than my share of everything this year.

I work with a lady who has kids. She routinely drags in every virus going around her kids' school. Grrrrr..... :mad:

Dirt Girl
04-27-2005, 05:33 AM
I am sick again. :mad:

How frustrating for you! Hope you get over it for good this time!

This may sound weird, but it's worth a try...toss your toothbrush. The little nasties sometimes linger just waiting to reinfect. If I'd been through what you've been going through, I'd give anything a try.

Feel better.

LBTC
04-27-2005, 06:30 AM
Thanks dirt girl. I replaced the toothbrush after strep. It's been around a month or so....I guess I could do it again...

Dogmama...that's a heckuva a visual you provided there! I can just see her pulling these squirming, smelly, mucousy, nasties behind her....

have a good day everyone!
~T~

Bike Goddess
04-27-2005, 07:22 AM
Well, Yellow, maybe we got it on the Chico Wildflower! :( After I cam home from a long ride (55mi) I felt shot. Like a cement truck had hit me! Then last night as I was retiring, sore throat showed up. Today, home from work (I am seldome sick) and feeling pretty yucky! :(

My philosophy- if I don't feel good enough to get to work, I stay home and rest! Hope you are doing the same. We can commiserate together! :) :)

LBTC
04-27-2005, 07:33 AM
ah, there ya go Bike Goddess. A good philosophy. Unfortunately for me, work is by no means a strain, being sick only slows me down to the level of the other admins here ;) Besides, yesterday the company removed a level of management (just one guy) from the head of the department I'm in, and merged us with a department from another town. If I didn't think that more change was coming I'd be a fool. So, as my DH has been saying, they seem like they're in a firing mood. :eek: Best to show up whenever possible. I really am addicted to my paycheque!!

namaste,
~T~

oh, and I feel somewhat better today....so far...changed the toothbrush this morning and everything!

Irulan
04-27-2005, 07:48 AM
I am a big fan of this stuff. My sister who travels extensively in the third world turned me onto it. I haven't' had more than a twinge of the flu or a cold in years. it is an immunity builder, you start taking it at the first sign of illness, or you can take it for maintenance. I do the maintenance dose when everyone one around me is coming home with the crud. Works for me.

http://www.sourcenaturals.com/products/GP1345.html

http://sm50116.hostcentric.net/bottles_sm/GP1345.jpg

LBTC
04-27-2005, 08:00 AM
Hey, Irulan. That looks like pretty good stuff! Off hand, it looks like the zinc dosage is too high for even one tablet a day, but maybe in combination that's okay. I take about 1/3 of those supplement individually each day....maybe it's the other stuff I'm missing. And it doesn't even look terribly expensive, even counting the exchange rate. I'll check into what it takes to get them here....
funny thing is, I went through several years of only getting slight versions of what everyone else had, of really not getting serious anything, and of hardly ever missing work. this year has been killer, though. dont' know if it's just the bugs that are around, the extra stress from work, the more intense training (which should do the opposite, but maybe I'm doing it wrong), or some change in my own chemical balance....
anyway I slice it, I think there must be something that I can do to make it better. so I'll try.

In the meantime, I'm getting paid to be here, so I might as well get some work done!

Namaste,
~T~

wabisabi
04-27-2005, 08:06 AM
A fellow rider who I did Chico with has also had a lot of GI stuff since then,and my assistant has called in sick with it for the second day now, so there does seem to be something; I have chronic food allergies, so I am not sure I could tell whether it was out of the ordinary or not for me. I had chronic 1-2 day 'stuff' for a while, and added some extra B vitamins to my normal supplements, which seems to have helped. When it hits, I try not to 'fight' it and just allow myself to rest and do nothing.

LBTC
04-27-2005, 08:47 AM
When it hits, I try not to 'fight' it and just allow myself to rest and do nothing.

Sage words indeed. Alas, I am my own worst enemy, thinking that I should be able to just do things a bit differently, but continue doing them. heh. I have heeded my coach (DH) and will not ride with the gang tonight, nor partake in the apres ride drinks and bar food. Indeed I'm sure that will be good medicine to avoid it! However, at home I will be working on my taxes as I have promised them to my accountant tomorrow night. yes, I am a procrastinator. yes, that probably adds to stress. Tonight I also need to put together a bit more material for the class I teach on Saturday. That should not take a long time. If I'm smart I'll also do yoga.

so this nothing that you do....how do you do it?? I need to be doing something to do nothing. the way I do that is to take pictures. http://ca.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/picsie_chick
or ride my mountain bike. 2 things that insist that the brain is thinking of nothing else at the time. it seems this brain doesn't know how to do idle time otherwise....

any tips?
~T~

MomOnBike
04-27-2005, 08:58 AM
Things to do when you're sick:

Bike maintenance. At least the bike will be looking and feeling great.

Editing/labeling/controlling your pictures. You'll be so together, you won't be able to stand yourself.

Buy stuff online for when you're able to ride.

Bike Goddess
04-27-2005, 09:14 AM
Oh yeah? If I felt good enough to clean up my bike (actually did a pretty good clean up yesterday before my ride- Chico ride was VERY messy!)I'd probably make it out the door to work. Going up and downstairs even taxes me!

Naps sound good right now.
Trek says "log off and ride" :) :)
I say "log off and sleep" :D :D

LBTC
04-27-2005, 11:00 AM
Nice ideas, Momonbike. You're good. :o

Of course, I am at work. So that's what I'm pretending to do.

If I were home I'd be sorting through receipts to get tax stuff to my accountant. blah.

oh, just found out my cat, Ted the survivor, who will be 14 years old and has outlived 5 feline companions in his lifetime, has hyperhtyroidism. Probably 2 pills a day for the rest of his life, at $1(ish) a pill, that means the online shopping will be somewhat diminished. *sigh*

Bike Goddess - get some sleep. sounds like you need it more than I do!!

namaste,
~T~

nuthatch
04-27-2005, 11:44 AM
There is ALOT of stomach stuff going around here in my area and it seems to be combining itself with the respiratory/allergy stuff. It's just out there waiting at this time of the year to pounce on even a slightly taxed immune system.

AutumnBreez
04-27-2005, 12:31 PM
I wish you wellness. I have been through it too, back and forth of feeling better and then phlemmy again with cough.

Think there are alot of weird stuff out there and I will do all I can to not take antibiotics. Zinc, Vit C and Echinacea are used instead.

Take care- with love, Breezy

MomOnBike
04-27-2005, 03:41 PM
Nice ideas, Momonbike. You're good.

<Blush> I try. :)

Pills for a cat. No fun. They learn quickly. I've had several cats that could spit a pill from across the room from halfway down their gullet. :mad:

Mom(and small animal vet - sorta)OnBike

snowtulip
04-27-2005, 03:52 PM
LBTC,
I am addicted to multi-tasking, and like you , when I'm sick I still have to be doing something. But I have learned that a quiet mind really does help me recuperate better, so what I do (other than taking healthy concoctions) is I go through old magazines, cut out interesting things and make collages. This way my mind is quiet and I'm still doing something. You might focus on collages with your great photos!

Feel better soon!

LBTC
04-27-2005, 05:33 PM
wow! you guys really are great and full of great ideas.

I have a picture project to do: make cards to sell. Right after the taxes get done, that's the next thing for this brain to take care of! :)

The guys are out riding right now. I'm actually feeling poor enough that I'm not terribly sad about it. :confused: I know I will be next week, though, assuming I feel more normal. My coach (DH) is scaling back all intense activity for awhile. I won't be doing my race on May 7 (too soon to have fun), and no wed night rides for awhile - remember I'm the girl that rides with the fast guys....apparently it's more than my body can handle right now. And no road riding until we can get my bike fitted by a shop that knows how. That should be around May 23 ish. After that I should be able to begin ramping up my rides again. *sigh*. I'll make it. But thank you so much for listening to me whine and carry on! And being full of great ideas and support!

I have made an appointment with an alternative health practitioner....but she's booked until the end of May, so that's a fairly long wait.

Don't worry about my cat, though. The curious thing about Ted, my survivor (he's almost 14 years old), ge actually loves to take pills. Runs to me if I shake a pill bottle. Loves the treat after. Never fights me. I think 3 times in all his life he's spit out a pill, and that was my fault, too...and I do know how lucky we are for that - Ted's lost 3 companions during his life, and none of them, including his latest buddy, really liked taking pills - lots of squirming and scratching and carrying on. yup, this is the best it could be, considering. :cool:

if you've got any suggestions for my coach, feel free to pass them along. Including trying to figure out why I keep getting sick!

thanks all you great ladies!
~T~

shewhobikes
04-27-2005, 06:35 PM
I hate your being sick. Been there myself these last 2 weeks, first w/a wicked cold and then a sinus/bronchial infection. Nasty antibiotics were worse than the disease. Run screaming!!! :eek:

Understand how frustrating it is to work up your training, then fall back, recuperate, try again, get sick again, fall back, oy vay! ;)

So, sez mama, drink yer OJ, take yer meds, eat sum chicken soup and get yur rest girly. Hope you are back on the trails soon!

P.S. I also have a 14-year-old cat! :D His name is Percy because I was listening to Percy Sledge song on the radio when I brought him home. He is a FREAK of nature (stories later...) but now that he's old he's a homeboy and lots of fun. (Later I will tell you about the time he ran away, I moved to another city and I near about got arrested for cat abandonment....)

mommelisa
04-28-2005, 12:54 PM
if you've got any suggestions for my coach, feel free to pass them along. Including trying to figure out why I keep getting sick!

I can totally relate to what you're going through!!

The same thing was happening to me this past few months. Yucky stomach, tired and sluggish, it felt like the flu maybe but I couldn't seem to shake it.

I am training for a couple of medium distance triathlons this summer (my first ones!!) and everyone, including my doctor had lots of advice. Maybe the training was too much for my body, maybe I was stressed trying to fit all the workouts in... After an ultrasound on my abdomen, a chest x-ray, a round of antibiotics and a prescription for zantac (in case it was stress that was causing it), the doctor did one last test that showed that I had an intestinal bacteria that was causing ALL the symptoms. Its fairly common, and most likely I got it from a swim I did in February in a local lake, but it can also be contracted by eating out where the food handlers do not wash their hands, etc. I know, it sounds yucky! Anyway, I did 10 days of a medicine, and I cannot tell you how much better I feel.

Its worth looking into if you think its been going on too long, is unexplainable, and its really hindering your training. The test to determine whether you have this or any other type intestinal bacteria is not the most pleasant, so I won't go into it here... :eek: but if you want any info, just let me know.

I am finally back to my regular training schedule and I am so much less grumpy! :-)

Hope you feel better!
Melisa

LBTC
04-28-2005, 05:22 PM
good idea, there, mommellisa. glad you found the problem and your cure. funny, I would think the antibiotics I was on for strep throat would have killed that bacteria, if that were the problem. would that make sense or am I just wishful thinking?

so far I have appointments with: my chiropractor, eye doctor, a massage therapist, an alternative medicine practitioner. I'll keep you posted if anything helps or not. first appt is next Monday, but I don't see the AMP until the end of the month. *sigh*. The doc's we ride with just said: rest, sleep & eat well. go figure.

thanks again for everyone's support and sympathy. it's no broken pelvis!! :eek: but not knowing might actually make this nearly as bad. at least with a broken bone there is a course of treatment and expected results. (what I experienced with a broken humerus)

namaste
~T~

mommelisa
04-29-2005, 09:53 AM
good idea, there, mommellisa. glad you found the problem and your cure. funny, I would think the antibiotics I was on for strep throat would have killed that bacteria, if that were the problem. would that make sense or am I just wishful thinking?

Yea, I wish, too! This stuff is only curable by taking a specific "vile, vile, vile tasting" medicine called Flagyl. Vile is truly the only way to describe it. :eek:

spazzdog
04-29-2005, 10:11 AM
Hey! I get that for my doggie when he gets colitis... and he gets it in pill form.

Perhaps the people pharmacy has it in pill form and then you wouldn't have the icky taste.

spazz

mommelisa
04-29-2005, 10:28 AM
Hey! I get that for my doggie when he gets colitis... and he gets it in pill form.
Perhaps the people pharmacy has it in pill form and then you wouldn't have the icky taste.

Yep! Same stuff. It comes in pill form for people, too, but it starts to dissolve the minute it touches liquid, so you put it in to your mouth and it starts to fall apart immediately!

spazzdog
04-29-2005, 11:44 AM
oh...... yuck!

This is a prescription that calls for a JELLO SHOT! :D

nuthatch
04-29-2005, 11:58 AM
I love that name...probably named for the flagellum of the wee critters swimming around inside! Uggg!

mommelisa
04-29-2005, 03:38 PM
oh...... yuck! This is a prescription that calls for a JELLO SHOT! :D

WAIT! The worst part of the whole thing, besides the vile taste, is that you cannot have any alcohol during the time you're taking the medicine!! lol! It supposedly makes you violently ill (i didn't test it out!). So for the full course of the meds and three days afterwards, no shots. :mad:

My girlfriend had a birthday while I was taking the meds and so my husband I and went to dinner with her and her husband. The all had a drink or so before dinner then a couple of bottles of wine with dinner... Ever been the one that is stone cold sober when people are philosphizing over a bottle of wine???

LBTC
05-08-2005, 04:29 PM
okay, so I'll be making an appointment with my GP this week. I will ask her to test for:
mono
ear infection
parasite
and ensure that the blood test I had tested for iron, electrolytes, etc.

any other suggestions?

I did a kickboxing class on Friday. it went well. I have worse sinus symptoms this weekend. and have had chills again, but not consistently. and saw stars when I was doing laundry. I hope to do two pretty easy rides this week. I definitely want to know if it's mono as that enlarges the spleen, leaving it much more prone to rupture during intense exercise or physical contact. I imagine kickboxing and mountain biking would both be dangerours :mad:

anyway, if any of you have further suggestions, please let me know. I am not happy about getting sick after every long ride and really want to get over this so I can stop complaining/worrying, etc, and get back to being the bubbly me that world expects to see!! :D :p

Namaste,
~T~

nuthatch
05-08-2005, 05:44 PM
This is very worrisome! I'm glad you're going to see the doc about it - it's just not right that your immune system is so taxed. Keep us posted..

snapdragen
05-08-2005, 07:22 PM
Last year I had the sinus infection from hell. It took close to 8 weeks of antibiotics to get rid of the thing - and then only when the Doc pulled out the major big gun drugs. The standard antibiotics did nothing, he finally put me on Moxifloxacin - for bacterial infections.

Also, if it's your sinus area, you might try warm saline.

http://allergies.about.com/cs/treatment/a/aa040802a.htm

Sending good health vibes

LBTC
05-13-2005, 08:19 PM
Thank you ALL for your good ideas.

so, I've been to the eye doctor. all checks out normal. one more test on Tuesday just to be sure.

and I saw my GP again today. the blood test I had that was normal covered: iron, thyroid, diabetes, leukemia, there was more but I can't remember.

I'll do a fasting blood test on Monday. no food past midnight, test at 8:00 am. we'll look for lots of things: electrolytes in liver and kidneys, mono, perimenopause, oh, I can't remember it all. Oh, and she figured I should do it after a training ride. so me and DH will do a medium-hard ride on Sunday. can't ask for a better weekend than that!

this afternoon I saw a massage therapist. she's awesome. she didn't have a definitive for me, just thinks that I'm not shedding my waste well enough. (if it was waist, I coulda told her that! ;) ) she agreed that I'm healthy, doing pretty much the right things and we've got an energy blockage or something like that. this first session was interview and what felt like relaxation massage (nice! :p ) but it got my body to tell her what was wrong. next session will be a cranial sacral session (goody! I haven't had one of those yet!! :cool: ) and I'll be able to tell her about the test results and the other health professional I'll see on May 26. I think we'll make some progress with her! oh, yeah, and one point on my back made my insides feel funny. so I told her and she said that's where my kidneys are. curious.

she also suggested more b vitamins, and more yoga. I've been a yoga slacker. often sitting down at the laptop before eating, using up lots of time, then barely having enough time to eat and feed the dogs and cats, and everything else I gotta do....

so tonight I was a good girl. I fed the dogs, did yoga, ate a nice meal, now I"m sitting here. but it's friday so I don't have to worry about work tomorrow

ah, well...

thanks again for your support. :D Hopefully getting back to it this weekend won't be too hard on me. :eek:

I hope you're all having a great weekend!

namaste,
~T~

CorsairMac
05-14-2005, 09:46 AM
sounds like you're at least eliminating things which should help to bring out what may be wrong. Good luck and keep us posted!

spazzdog
05-14-2005, 10:52 AM
Cranial sacral is very cool... a friend from the past is a cerified CST and also does Reiki.

spazz

LBTC
05-18-2005, 08:22 PM
I miss riding!!! :( :eek: :(
waaaaaaaaaah!

sorry, I just had to vent

so, tonight I tried to ride with the gang. I was doing really well (even DH said so), keeping pace, feeling pretty good. when the climbing turned into serious grunts, I made it up them, but I was so nauseous at the rest point that I had to sit down. I must have been sitting for 10 minutes (so it felt, anyway) and the nausea just barely lessened. Rode for a little while longer, but it got worse again, so I decided to head for home.

sad part is, it was a great ride, a trail I've never ridden in that direction before and it is *so* my new newbie climb! very cool, and a newbie can just push up the tough sections. and....because I was riding alone and feeling quite "off", including kind of feeling dizzy-ish, I really went slow down a trail that I love to go fast on! ah, well, I'm home, me and my bike are showered, I'm doing laundry and getting ready for a weekend away. Hopefully soon I'll know what the story is and feel better and ride like the maniac trail goddes that I know I am inside! :cool: :p HAHA

Please keep posting your ride stories. It's so cool to read them!

Namaste,
~T~

CorsairMac
05-18-2005, 08:53 PM
When is your next Dr visit??.......if I remember right, this one is with the Alternative Doc right?

LBTC
05-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Aw, thanks for asking Corsair....

I see an alternative health practitioner next Thursday. My GP has blood tests results in and wants me to come in to see her, but it's not urgent. (which I took to mean I don't have mono, thus why I tried to ride). between her bookings and our little trip away, my appointment with her is next Friday. Because she wants to see me, I'm hoping that means they actually found something. It would be a relief to know it's not all in my head!! :eek: And because it's not urgent, it makes me think it's not terribly serious or time-sensitive. I hope that's it, anyway! :o

I get to see the RMT who does CS on June 4 (I think). I'm really looking forward to that!! :rolleyes: I expect to feel fabulous after a cranial sacral treatment!! heehee

thanks for listening to me whine, and being so supportive!! :p This sure isn't a broken pelvis, so I feel lucky to have such support and interest in how I'm doing. Thank you!!

Namaste,
~T~

CorsairMac
05-18-2005, 09:18 PM
thanks for listening to me whine, and being so supportive!! :p This sure isn't a broken pelvis, so I feel lucky to have such support and interest in how I'm doing. Thank you!!

Namaste,
~T~

There's nothing worse than not feeling well and not A)understanding why or B)knowing what to do to fix it. You've been in my thoughts where you'll stay until hopefully you get the answers you need to make things right again! Let us know what the Dr(s) have to say!

LBTC
05-18-2005, 09:22 PM
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{CorsairMac}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

aw, thank you! (and I hope it's not catching, or you'll hate that I just hugged you!) ;)

Namaste,
~T~