PDA

View Full Version : CANDO training ride?

Zen
08-24-2008, 02:18 PM
OK guize, time to get going on another training ride.

I realize there are a lot of events coming up (SheGotBike!, CWC, and Seagull) but we should get one thirty mile ride in.

The clock is ticking LOUDLY!

If we can't get together for one I think we should at least plan one for ourselves.

TRAINING MEANS LOADED
Two panniers full of rocks if you have nothing else to put in them.
Mine will be full of Payday bars :D

Kalidurga
08-24-2008, 02:41 PM
I did 35 miles yesterday. Doesn't count, though, since I didn't have loaded panniers and I'm not joining you for the entire ride... but still :D

I started a ways upstream from Hancock and rode up to just a handful of miles shy of Paw Paw Tunnel. Most of that stretch borders Green Ridge State Forest, so it was really isolated. As a result, I saw much more wildlife than I usually do along the towpath. At one point, I stopped to take a break and didn't realize that a deer was grazing in the undergrowth just two dozen or so feet from me until she stepped on a twig. I turned to see what made the noise, and she just kept on browsing as if I weren't there. Also saw a couple of snakes, a hawk that flew practically right over my head, a kingfisher, two beaver lodges, and a bunch more deer.

Parts of the towpath were very smooth, and other parts were very rocky and rooty. But a couple of guys on bikes (with the park service, I presume) were out re-painting mile markers, so the markers through that stretch look all shiny and new now.

I really, really hope that the weather is awesome the week of your ride, ladies, 'cause nothin' beats the C&O on a gorgeous day :D

divingbiker
08-24-2008, 06:07 PM
OK guize, time to get going on another training ride.

I realize there are a lot of events coming up (SheGotBike!, CWC, and Seagull) but we should get one thirty mile ride in.

The clock is ticking LOUDLY!

If we can't get together for one I think we should at least plan one for ourselves.

TRAINING MEANS LOADED
Two panniers full of rocks if you have nothing else to put in them.
Mine will be full of Payday bars :D

I'm doing SheGotBike on September 14 and taking a kayak lesson on September 27. Other than that, I'm available.

What about Labor Day? Anyone want to do a longish ride next Monday?

madscot13
08-24-2008, 07:58 PM
can I just ride with books in one of my panniers? I think I sent my other pannier home with my parents. I am not sure what you are training for, or has Zen become a life coach?

Zen
08-24-2008, 08:11 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm free.
If I went alone I'd do the same route KD just described.

Let's see if anyone else is interested, maybe do a shuttle so we can do 30-35 one way instead of turning around.

We have a week to figure this out.

Kalidurga
08-25-2008, 01:51 AM
What about Labor Day? Anyone want to do a longish ride next Monday?

I'd join you for training support, but my family's in town from Florida next weekend and I've committed Labor Day to them.

7rider
08-25-2008, 04:57 AM
DH and I were just talking about this the other day. I agree....we need to do a 30-miler, loaded. With properly working brakes! :rolleyes:
We'll be in CT for Labor Day weekend, and are doing the CWC and the Seagull, but other than that I should be free. How about the 20th?

Oh....and DB and KD -- yesterday (Sunday) afternoon, DH and I took the boats to Truxton Park (http://www.annapolisjobs.com/parks_annapolis.html)in Annapolis for an urban "see how the other half lives" paddle on Spa Creek (boat shopping..yeah, that's it). There was a good sized crowd there from Chesapeake Paddlers Association (http://www.cpakayaker.com/). Ever heard of 'em? They focus primarily on sea kayaking, but the woman I chatted with said quite a few have smaller, rec boats, too. They do day and weekend trips, skills clinics, and such.

Kalidurga
08-25-2008, 05:59 AM
I heard about Chesapeake Paddlers Association back when I was taking lessons with Potomac Paddlesports. If I remember correctly, they have a pretty good paddling forum.

I need to get out in my kayak at least one more time before the season's over. My gear's getting dusty, shame on me :o I've thought of hauling the bike and the 'yak up to Big Pool at Ft Fred state park for a multi-sport day but have never gotten around to it. Don't think I could handle a 30+ mile ride and paddling on the same day, though.

Zen
08-25-2008, 09:37 AM
I'd join you for training support, but my family's in town from Florida next weekend and I've committed Labor Day to them.

How's about Sunday then?
That way we'd avoid traffic going home from holiday.

Kalidurga
08-25-2008, 10:44 AM
How's about Sunday then?
That way we'd avoid traffic going home from holiday.

We'll see. I'm getting together with them both Saturday and Monday, and may very well need some alone-time on Sunday to clear my head :eek: ;) But a C&O ride is always a good thing, so it probably wouldn't take much to coerce me. That pannier-full of Payday's might do the trick. Would Sunday work for the rest of the gang?

I'd suggest avoiding the more popular areas, since everyone and their brother gets out there on holiday weekends.

Zen
08-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Since DB doesn't like to drive and you do, maybe she can ride with you and we can start at Shepherdstown or further upstream.

Kalidurga
08-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Since DB doesn't like to drive and you do, maybe she can ride with you and we can start at Shepherdstown or further upstream.

It'd be a tight squeeze since one of the bikes would have to go in the back of my car, but I promise I'd behave and only drive a little bit over the speed limit :cool: ;)

The Shepherdstown lot is one of the one's that's always packed on weekends. But there might be other places nearby where we could park-- either in Shep'town (which would require riding our bikes across the bridge and then down the fun switchback path), or at a lot on route 34 before you get to the river (which I think is owned by the highway dept so I'm not sure whether it's legal to park there). Wouldn't be able to do 30 miles upstream from there, though, without including part of the detour that starts at Big Slackwater. The other option would be to head downstream towards Harper's Ferry, part of which would be a repeat of the last ride. It's all gonna depend on how far folks want to drive and whether you want to see new scenery.

But no one else has chimed in yet as to whether Sunday or Monday works better for them, so "where" might need to wait until "when" has been answered. Do you want to wait for a weekend when Regina's available, or just plan another ride then?

Zen
08-25-2008, 06:43 PM
can I just ride with books in one of my panniers?
No. Bring a watermelon. I like watermelon.

I think I sent my other pannier home with my parents.
Whadjadoo that for :confused:

I am not sure what you are training for, or has Zen become a life coach?
We're training for this http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=19257&highlight=trip
and I'm not sure if I'm a life coach or a drill sergeant. I guess they could be viewed as similar.

I promise I'd behave and only drive a little bit over the speed limit :cool: ;)
Don't scare your gramma.

Wouldn't be able to do 30 miles upstream from there, though, without including part of the detour that starts at Big Slackwater. The other option would be to head downstream towards Harper's Ferry, part of which would be a repeat of the last ride.

I definitely want to avoid Harper's Ferry on the weekend.

Williamsport to Fort Frederick (or a little farther) is a nice ride and you get to go here-
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb14/zencentury/DangerDam-1.jpg
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb14/zencentury/CliffBendvert.jpg

madscot13
08-25-2008, 07:09 PM
you crazy kids. I thought you were just suffering because Zen told you to. silly me.

I did not mean to send my panniers home with my parents (I wrote pannier the first time instead of parent right there). it makes grocery shopping a far too complicated procedure that I must do every week.

divingbiker
08-26-2008, 01:35 AM

I think I'll just have to suck it up and drive, since I'm hoping to take the Xtracycle and it takes a special roof rack. I'm willing to drive wherever. Shepherdstown would be nice so we could stop at Tam's restaurant.

Kalidurga
08-26-2008, 02:47 AM
Youze guize decide where you wanna go, since you're the ones doin' the thru-ride. Just lemme know which day so I know whether or not I can join you.

DB: At this point, I don't think it's going to be my restaurant. I finally got financial statements from the guy, and it doesn't look as if I could earn as much from the place as I need. Ah well...

Zen: I really like that cliff shot. Did you toss all the Yahoos off the edge before you took it?

7rider
08-26-2008, 04:34 AM
<<sniff>> Have a fun ride. I'll be thinking of you while we're stuck on the New Jersey Turnpike on Monday! :(

I'll tell my mom you all wished her a happy 80th birthday! ;)

Kalidurga
08-28-2008, 02:58 AM
Zen? DB? Anyone else...? Is there a ride this Sunday or Monday?

divingbiker
08-28-2008, 05:27 AM
Zen? DB? Anyone else...? Is there a ride this Sunday or Monday?

Yes, but we haven't decided which day yet. That's up to Zen.

Zen
08-28-2008, 09:26 AM
Sunday!Sunday!Sunday! Amphetamine Speedway! Monster trucks! Funny cars! Be there!

Cushwa Basin?

Or Waffle House? ;)

Ten-ish?

Zen: I really like that cliff shot. Did you toss all the Yahoos off the edge before you took it?

The yahoos were already in the water in their boats, having sailed from the West Virginia Riviera :D

divingbiker
08-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Sunday!Sunday!Sunday! Amphetamine Speedway! Monster trucks! Funny cars! Be there!

Cushwa Basin?

Or Waffle House? ;)

Ten-ish?

The yahoos were already in the water in their boats, having sailed from the West Virginia Riviera :D

Ten is fine, but where exactly are we meeting/riding?

Kalidurga
08-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Ten is fine, but where exactly are we meeting/riding?

How far do you feel like driving?

How much crowd do we want to deal with?

Do you want to ride someplace you haven't already ridden, or does that not matter?

Kalidurga
08-28-2008, 11:11 AM

There's always the dragstrip on route 40. Wanna race? :eek: :cool: :D

divingbiker
08-28-2008, 03:56 PM
How far do you feel like driving?

How much crowd do we want to deal with?

Do you want to ride someplace you haven't already ridden, or does that not matter?

Would like to ride somewhere I haven't, with as little crowd as possible, within 1.5 hour drive. Is that possible?

Zen
08-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Kal?

Cushwa Basin to Fort Frederick sounds about right to me.

Kalidurga
08-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Cushwa Basin parking's likely to be crowded. There's a smaller lot a bit downstream by the lockhouse, but I've never checked it out so I don't know how crowded it gets. That is a nice ride, though, so I could be willing to brave the crowds at the beginning/end. The other option would be to drive a bit further and meet at Fort Frederick.

Janice, how long does it take you to drive to my house (just to estimate your total driving time)?

divingbiker
08-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Janice, how long does it take you to drive to my house (just to estimate your total driving time)?

Probably about 20-25 minutes.

Kalidurga
08-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Then Ft Fred would be at the max end of your time limit. Shall we go for Cushwa Basin in Williamsport, then? I still haven't checked out the new museum that opened there this summer.

Zen, when you rode to Ft Fred, did you ride around the park at all? Or up along next to Big Pool?

Zen
08-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Zen, when you rode to Ft Fred, did you ride around the park at all? Or up along next to Big Pool?

Flat out stopped at the road and watched butterflies:Dthen went back to Williamsport.

Kalidurga
08-29-2008, 02:50 AM
Well, if y'all feel like it, we'll have to ride around a bit. Ft Fred's a nice little park. And you can check out the camping facilities ;)

divingbiker
08-29-2008, 04:56 AM
You'll have to tell me where we're meeting exactly. Or Tam, do you want to ride with me?

Kalidurga
08-29-2008, 05:47 AM
If we can squeeze my bike on with the Xtracycle, I can ride with you. Want to meet at my place 8:45-ish?

I need to remember to clean my bike before Sunday morning. It's a dusty mess from my last towpath ride :rolleyes:

divingbiker
08-29-2008, 05:56 AM
If we can squeeze my bike on with the Xtracycle, I can ride with you. Want to meet at my place 8:45-ish?

I need to remember to clean my bike before Sunday morning. It's a dusty mess from my last towpath ride :rolleyes:

Sounds good. The Xtracycle goes on the roof rack, so there's room for two bikes on the back. Are we going to try to do a shuttle with cars so we can ride one way? Zen mentioned that earlier.

And I'm sooo glad to know that you left your bike dirty, if only for a few days! I have this vision of you rushing home and taking the q-tips to it right away.:p

Kalidurga
08-29-2008, 06:19 AM
My drive-train will be squeaky-clean thanks to Rock'n'Roll, but my frame is feeeelthy with dust.

I don't think the shuttle idea is gonna work. We can fit two bikes and an Xtracycle on your car, but can we fit all of that in/on Zen's car?

Zen
08-29-2008, 06:33 AM
Sounds good. The Xtracycle goes on the roof rack, so there's room for two bikes on the back. Are we going to try to do a shuttle with cars so we can ride one way? Zen mentioned that earlier.

If we do that we can ride to Hancock
But that'd be a long day what with all the loading, unloading, shuttling, etc.
that's up to you guys. You'd have to drive much farther than I would.

And I'm sooo glad to know that you left your bike dirty, if only for a few days! I have this vision of you rushing home and taking the q-tips to it right away.:p
I washed and Q-Tipped mine yesterday :D
Now to install new saddle and front rack :o

can we fit all of that in/on Zen's car?
You've both seen the Mothership.
What do you think?
We can always have something sticking out the sunroof:D

Kalidurga
08-29-2008, 08:34 AM
I dunno, I think I'd like to vote against the shuttled ride. Since I'm spending Saturday and Monday with family :rolleyes: I'd love to have one day this weekend that's not complicated. And Hancock is well outside of Janice's 1.5 hour driving limit.

divingbiker
08-29-2008, 09:20 AM
I dunno, I think I'd like to vote against the shuttled ride. Since I'm spending Saturday and Monday with family :rolleyes: I'd love to have one day this weekend that's not complicated. And Hancock is well outside of Janice's 1.5 hour driving limit.

OK, fine with me. I'll be at your house at 8:45 Sunday and you can be the navigator. I still have to figure out how to get the Xtracycle on the car by myself, and with this rain it may not happen. So I may be riding my Glorius after all, but the panniers will be fully loaded.

Kalidurga
08-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Sounds good. And, speaking of rain, be prepared for mud on Sunday's ride :D

Regina, we'll think about you eating birthday cake while we're getting spattered.

Zen
08-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Regina, we'll think about you eating birthday cake while we're getting spattered.

I'll have four panniers. Maybe I'll bring a cake :D

divingbiker
08-29-2008, 10:13 AM
I'll have four panniers. Maybe I'll bring a cake :D

I've got some zucchini shredded and ready to go into zucchini bread. Maybe I'll bring that for us to snack on. It will probably turn out like a brick anyway, so that will add ballast.

Kalidurga
08-29-2008, 10:40 AM
I don't cook and might not even have time to even buy groceries for myself, so I hope you two aren't expecting me to bring anything besides my sunny personality... :o

divingbiker
08-29-2008, 11:27 AM
I don't cook and might not even have time to even buy groceries for myself, so I hope you two aren't expecting me to bring anything besides my sunny personality... :o

Nah, I assume we need to bring whatever we want for lunch, but we're all on our own.

Kalidurga
08-29-2008, 12:07 PM
I assume that if anyone else was interested in joining us that they would have chimed in by now, but I'll ask anyway...

Anyone else interested in meeting this Sunday at 10:00am at Williamsport, MD for a 25-30 mile ride on the C&O? The more the merrier, especially since we'll be missing our Big Buzz.

madscot13
08-29-2008, 04:10 PM
i would love to go but this MCAT deal...

Zen
08-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Dingster? F8th?
New kids whose names I don't know offhand?

7rider
08-29-2008, 06:23 PM
The more the merrier, especially since we'll be missing our Big Buzz.

That's right.
Someone's gotta keep this motley crew on track!! ;)

withm
08-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Dingster? F8th?
New kids whose names I don't know offhand?

Sigh. It sounds like fun. I'm still in northern Michigan for a few more days. If anyone gets stranded on Sunday, I'll be driving thru that area on Tues - I'll give you a ride home. The "story" behind any potential strandings will be worth it!

Have a great time!
Martha

7rider
08-31-2008, 05:32 PM
Well???????

divingbiker
08-31-2008, 05:52 PM
Well???????

It was good. But that first day is going to be a killer. We did 26 miles loaded (well, Zen was half loaded) and it was work. 60 miles will be a challenge. Zen's thinking of starting a day earlier and splitting that first day into two more manageable days, but we don't have that option since there aren't any motels between Cumberland and Little Orleans.

But it was a nice ride, and I think the Xtracycle will be ok. It's not as comfortable as my commuting bike, but I don't want to have to get a front rack and panniers, so I'll make it work.

Hope you're having a nice time in Connecticut.

Zen
08-31-2008, 06:18 PM
Holy Moley, that's hard work when you're loaded. I started drinking at 6 AM:p

On that home stretch I could feel a cramp coming on. I get cramp alerts like people with migranes get auras. I stopped for those ClifBloks and managed to stave it off. I got home around 5 and got my first paralyzing cramp at 9, another at 10.
I don't think I drank enough, guess I'll have to get a bigger camelbak.
What size is you guizes?
I think I'll need to buy a case of Bloks, too :o

Kalidurga
09-01-2008, 03:17 AM
I have the Camelback Dream (http://www.rei.com/product/733420) (though I wish they'd had this nice subdued grey color when I bought mine :rolleyes: ). It holds 72oz, or 2 liters, which is a lotta water. I don't think I've ever emptied it.

I hope you're feeling better today, Zen!

http://media.rei.com/media/923404.jpg

7rider
09-01-2008, 04:17 AM
But it was a nice ride, and I think the Xtracycle will be ok. It's not as comfortable as my commuting bike, but I don't want to have to get a front rack and panniers, so I'll make it work..

Front and back? How much do you plan on packing?? Hmmmm...methinks I need to evaluate how much stuff those Ortleibs can carry. I was thinking of adding a trunk rack and with my Daystar Camelback, I think I'd have plenty of hauling capacity.

I'm thinking we may have to add bananas to our moring b'fast shopping jaunt however....

Hope you're having a nice time in Connecticut.

Was nice. The one day we had to do a long ride, however, it rained. :(
Now...breakfast and on the road for MD.

divingbiker
09-01-2008, 04:29 AM
Front and back? How much do you plan on packing?? Hmmmm...methinks I need to evaluate how much stuff those Ortleibs can carry. I was thinking of adding a trunk rack and with my Daystar Camelback, I think I'd have plenty of hauling capacity.

I'm thinking we may have to add bananas to our moring b'fast shopping jaunt however....

Was nice. The one day we had to do a long ride, however, it rained. :(
Now...breakfast and on the road for MD.

Zen, I've got the same Camelback as Regina, I think. Looks the same anyway, and I know it's 70-72 oz.

Regina, remember that I have to take food along, too, because I'm not likely to find vegan food along the trail. I'll have to do a real trial run packing and see if the panniers and trunk bag and handlebar bag will be enough. If so, I may take the Glorius.

And bananas are a good idea.

Kalidurga
09-01-2008, 06:42 AM
And you have to take peach jam. That's stuff's awesome. I had it for breakfast on walnut bread. Thanks again, Janice! :D

And I looked at the Camelbak site just now. They make reservoirs from 28oz all the way up to 100 oz (3 liters). Since there are so many places you can re-fill once you make it to Little Orleans, I'd think a 2 liter would get you through each day. The Dream might be good if you're not used to having something on your back, since it's basically just a reservoir with a couple of small pockets. Janice, isn't that what you were using yesterday? It looked just like mine, aside from the different color.

divingbiker
09-01-2008, 06:55 AM
Glad you like the jam!

I'm feeling better now. I just looked, and the first day is 44 miles, not 60. The second and third days are around 40 miles, and the last two are shorter. So I think I can do this after all.

Zen
09-01-2008, 06:57 AM
I have the Camelback Dream (http://www.rei.com/product/733420)

Your REI link shows that at $50.
Price Point has it for $35 (+5 for shipping).

This cramp is only in my left quad, the side I clip in on :confused:

Kalidurga
09-01-2008, 07:23 AM
Your REI link shows that at $50.
Price Point has it for $35 (+5 for shipping).

This cramp is only in my left quad, the side I clip in on :confused:

Well, I wasn't suggesting you buy it at REI, they just had the best description and photo :rolleyes:

I didn't notice yesterday, did you do any stretching during yesterday's ride? I remember that you stretched at one point during the ride we did from Brunswick to Antietam Creek, did that help to loosen things up mid-ride? I wonder if applying an analgesic would also help. I often get cramps in the sartorius on my left leg just next to the knee, and I find that either Biofreeze or Merry Hempsters Cool Muscle Rub (http://merryhempsters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MH&Product_Code=T2&Category_Code=SALVE) (I get that at Common Market) helps a lot.

Zen
09-01-2008, 08:06 AM
Stretching would no doubt help, I've been having such tightness in the hip flexors I rarely stretch the rectus femoris.

i think my problem is about 70% physiological though, because of potassium loss in diuretic use :(

Kalidurga
09-01-2008, 01:22 PM
One more reason for those bananas...

Zen
09-02-2008, 05:53 AM
...or seasoned roasted taters.

I ordered a Dream but now I'm looking at the FlashFlo :rolleyes:

And I secured my early transportation last night :o

divingbiker
09-02-2008, 05:59 AM
...or seasoned roasted taters.

I ordered a Dream but now I'm looking at the FlashFlo :rolleyes:

The FlashFlo doesn't look much different than what you used on Sunday, and it's only 45 ounces.

Zen
09-02-2008, 06:50 AM
Grrr

Kalidurga
09-02-2008, 07:34 AM

So you're going to camp solo that first night?

Zen
09-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Me, my harmonica, and pepper spray :D

madscot13
09-02-2008, 01:06 PM
why not an accordian?

Kalidurga
09-02-2008, 01:23 PM
I'm going to drive from Cumberland to Oldtown to meet everyone for the ride through PawPaw Tunnel. If you camp at Pigmans Ferry, Potomac Forks, or Town Creek, I could swing by your camp to wait with you for the rest of the guize.

If it were me, I'd talk DB into strapping the accordian to her skateboard.

divingbiker
09-02-2008, 02:17 PM
If it were me, I'd talk DB into strapping the accordian to her skateboard.

Not sure the Xtracycle is going to make the cut. I'm thinking now that I'll take the Glorius with the red panniers and a big trunk bag. It's much more comfortable, and I'm sure I can go faster on it than I can on the Xtracycle. Zen will have to haul her own accordion.

7rider
09-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Dang!
That means no blender! :(