PDA

View Full Version : Windy in the Midwest !!

annie
04-25-2005, 03:32 PM
I know there are some of you on these boards that live in the midwest......... Have you been riding in miserable, windy conditions lately? It is ALWAYS windy during the spring here in Iowa. Usually, I just convince myself that it's good training. If you wait for a day with little wind, you won't be riding much. Just spin and keep going. All sorts of things I say to encourage myself when I'm out there battling the gale. :p

Today, tho', was a real kicker. I started out in weak sunshine, but at least it was there. Temps in the high 50's. Winds at about 20-25 mph. Got about to the halfway point of my loop when it all went to he**. I'd been heading mostly into the wind to get it over with. Turned and had a crosswind and then it picked up speed. (The wind, not me!) It was difficult to stay on the road. The temp started dropping. The sky was getting darker. I was fighting with the wind to keep the bike going straight, especially when trucks went by. It was a bit scary.......... :eek: I could just see me getting sucked into their wake. My imagination is worst than reality, I guess. Having no other option, plus being determined and stubborn, I kept going.. Did my ride. By the time I got home, it was only 46 degrees out, the wind was gusting up to 35 mph. My last 8 miles were tailwind. Awesome! I think I'd earned it after the previous 36 miles. It was good to get home. And I am glad I got out there. :::::::::::::::sticking toungue out at wind:::::::::::::: nah, nah, nah

Now I got all that complaining off my chest. I just wondered how others were faring out there and what you do on these very windy days.

annie

MomOnBike
04-25-2005, 05:04 PM
Was that Friday? I was out there on an 18 mile ride from hell. I think at one point the wind was gusting at 40+ mph. Of course, the gusts timed themselves to when I was going up the steepest parts of hills (headwinds, natch). :mad:

About halfway through, I did an attitude check, and found that, Wow, I'm having fun! :confused: Cold, check. Headwinds, check. Snot dripping, check. I'm having a blast.

I'll be whining when both temp & humidity are in the 90's, though.

tatormc
04-25-2005, 07:26 PM
I just moved from Houston to Oklahoma and goodness it's windy here! I've never experienced anything like it. I just started riding a year ago and didn't stick with it through the winter so I'm just now starting back. It's hard to adjust to the wind and the hills but I keep telling myself it will make me stronger. Hopefully I won't get blown to Kansas!

nuthatch
04-26-2005, 03:08 AM
You guys are tough!!! I stayed inside Sat and Sun because of it spitting snow and being so windy (my new road bike is up on the trainer so I can get used to the seat). I commuted yesterday (Monday) and it was so windy, it actually nudged my bike sideways at one point on the way home, like the front tire did a little bunny-hop sideways all by itself! Sometimes I wish for an actual sail attached to my bike so I could make all that wind work with me instead of against me.

Try to stay low in the saddle!

DeniseGoldberg
04-26-2005, 04:10 AM
It was pretty windy here in the northeast too - but I don't think we can compete with your winds! I was out late Sunday afternoon after the wind very nicely dried out the roads following an epic weekend of water falling from the sky, and when I first turned out onto the road I was moving so slowly I thought there was something wrong with me! Nope, just the wind. Luckily I headed into the wind to start...

I remember one day on my Hawaii tour - I was heading up Kohala Mountain Road when a sidewind pushed me all of the way across the road! Luckily there were no cars in sight at the time. I'd like to think I would have been smart enough to deliberately lay the bike down rather than get blown into traffic, but I don't know if I would have had the time to pull that off.

I've got to hand it to you midwest gals for fighting with that wind!

--- Denise

SJCzar
04-26-2005, 05:38 AM
I went out Sunday. Had hoped to go for a longer ride than I did, but got really tired of battling the wind.

Those gusts that hit from the sides made me sway a few times. The combination of a big gust and the backwash from a passing bus was enough to make me decide to do a shorter route.

annie
04-26-2005, 05:56 AM
when I first turned out onto the road I was moving so slowly I thought there was something wrong with me! Nope, just the wind. Luckily I headed into the wind to start...
-- Denise

LOL! I know that feeling well. You stop, check your tires 'cause you're sure you have a flat, or that your brakes are rubbing. But, no, it's just slow going into the wind!

I hate it when the wind blows me around on the road, the bunny hop effect. But once I get outside, I just cannot bear to ride the trainer inside so I try and choose routes without too much traffic, or pick a direction where, at the very least, if I get blown by the wind, it will blow me OFF the road and not onto the road and into the traffic.
Alos, I use my mirror on my sunglasses all the time, to watch for traffic from behind. With the wind whistling (more like roaring) you certainly can't hear cars coming from behind. If there is a huge semi bearing down, I will get totally off the road if need be. Better safe than sucked into the wake of a truck.

Oh - it's an adventure out there!!! :rolleyes: :D

annie

MomOnBike
04-26-2005, 07:05 AM
I have a sail. :D The fairing on my bike really does grab a tailwind and send me flying down the road. It helps some with headwinds, too. Not that I still don't feel them...

I haven't felt the bunny-hop thing, but I can sure get pushed sideways sometimes. Good thing I like adventure.

I'm no cold weather wimp, that's for sure. I keep telling myself that if I want to ride across the country I'd better be able to ride in a little weather. It's easier to get out (for me), though when it's wet and cold rather than hot and sticky.

Crash
04-28-2005, 04:33 AM
So I'm not the only one checking for rubbing brakes or a flat. It's tough and you guys are tougher. At least the wind didn't change directions when you did which I am sure has happened to a lot of us.
Annie you mentioned a mirror on your glasses. A few of us have been discussing them lately. So my question is...do the move all over in the wind, moving your glasses and annoying the *#%@ out of you?
crash

nuthatch
04-28-2005, 05:06 AM
At least the wind didn't change directions when you did which I am sure has happened to a lot of us.

Tuesday, the wind felt like it was swirling in a tornadic circle! Headwinds in every direction I faced and no tailwind to be had. Yes, I'm a whiner!!!

annie
04-28-2005, 05:46 AM
Annie you mentioned a mirror on your glasses. A few of us have been discussing them lately. So my question is...do the move all over in the wind, moving your glasses and annoying the *#%@ out of you?
crash

Crash,

The mirror doesn't move at all! It is a great help in the wind, since you really can't hear the traffic coming, too much of the hated wind-roar in ears. I can't imagine riding on the road without my mirror.

Still windy here, but I am riding today anyway. My bike club has a tailwind ride next weekend. Just watch - by then the wind will have died down, just when we want it! :rolleyes:

annie

MomOnBike
04-28-2005, 07:43 AM
Actually, I hope the winds die down soon. I'm starting my ride from MN to NE on the 7th, and I'm scared to death it will be headwinds and rain all the way.

I'll deal, but lovely May weather would be SO nice...

And mirrors. I have a pair on my bar ends. I no longer can live without them. Even walking, I find I look right there to check out what's coming up behind.

Mirrors are probably a lot like saddles, though. What works for me could easily drive anyone else off the edge. :rolleyes:

CorsairMac
04-28-2005, 08:01 AM
Actually, I hope the winds die down soon. I'm starting my ride from MN to NE on the 7th, and I'm scared to death it will be headwinds and rain all the way.

I'll deal, but lovely May weather would be SO nice...

May 7th??.....

Corsair "wants to note that on my calender" Mac

also, will DH or someone be able to keep us posted on how you're doing?

MomOnBike
04-28-2005, 08:18 AM
Check the thread I just put up in Adventures - or whatever it's called.

CorsairMac
04-28-2005, 11:50 AM
I'm not in the Midwest now but just thought ya'll would like to know they're predicting 40-50 mph wind gusts during my commute home tonight! :eek:

Corsair "just wondering how gutsy I really am" Mac

nuthatch
04-28-2005, 12:58 PM
Uh oh, be careful Corsair!!!

spazzdog
04-28-2005, 01:21 PM
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, I love you...

Fold out them thar wings Corsair and fly baby! :D

spazz - who got in another short ride today btn rain storms :cool:

MomOnBike
04-28-2005, 07:17 PM
So, Corsair, how did you fare in the wind?

Here the wind went away, leaving snow :confused: in its place. OK, it wasn't much snow, and it didn't stick at all, But Still. :mad:

Hope you got home in one piece - or are you in Oz now?

CorsairMac
04-29-2005, 07:11 AM
actually I think all you awesome ladies here on the board must've been thinking good thoughts!! I only had to deal with 21 mph crosswinds (which is pretty normal here), the big winds hit about an hour After I got home! whewwwww!

annie
05-01-2005, 04:14 PM
Windy, cold ( 44F, but wind chill at 34F), drizzle, snow, and sleet. What an interesting ride! :D :eek: :rolleyes: I managed 40 miles and just had to laugh some of the time. What else to do? It didn't precip the entire ride, or I'd have found a short cut home. Brief epsisodes of the wet stuff. I am glad I went, but even gladder to be home! Do you think it will ever be warm again???? Looking ahead, the forecast looks decent for the weekend, but I'll believe it when it gets here. :confused:

annie

nuthatch
05-01-2005, 05:25 PM
Windy, cold ( 44F, but wind chill at 34F), drizzle, snow, and sleet. What an interesting ride! :D :eek: :rolleyes: I managed 40 miles and just had to laugh some of the time. What else to do? It didn't precip the entire ride, or I'd have found a short cut home. Brief epsisodes of the wet stuff. I am glad I went, but even gladder to be home! Do you think it will ever be warm again???? Looking ahead, the forecast looks decent for the weekend, but I'll believe it when it gets here. :confused:

annie

You're a braver man than I, Gunga Din. I rode inside today to the Tour of Georgia coverage on OLN.