PDA

View Full Version : Why do apples...

Mr. Bloom
08-18-2008, 11:15 PM
...taste SOOOoooo much sweeter when I refrigerate them?

Is it an illusion or is it a chemical reaction?

7rider
08-19-2008, 04:40 AM
I don't know. I can't eat cold apples. They hurt my sensitive teeth. :(

I want to know why eating an apple on an empty stomach gives me a stomach ache.

Tuckervill
08-19-2008, 04:53 AM
It does me, too!

I prefer bananas.

Karen

OakLeaf
08-19-2008, 05:28 AM
Since it's well known that apples are best picked after a frost, I'd assume it's a chemical reaction, but strangely there wasn't anything in McGee's wonderful reference On Food and Cooking.

I don't like very cold food either (TCM can explain that), but you can always refrigerate your apples to get the sweetness and then let them come to room temperature before eating.

lph
08-19-2008, 07:05 AM
I dunno, but I'm guessing that the cold somehow breaks down starch into sugar, like cooking makes most any vegetable sweeter.

Or did I just expose that I had no Chemistry in high school? :o

Smilie
08-19-2008, 07:12 AM
Apples make me nauseous too, I can eat a slice, but that is all. I too want to know why. I know if I eat 'Pink Ladies' they don't give me a stomach ache, but I generally stay away from apples in general.

Bananas upset my system in a different way. With gas and bloating. Not to mention they make my teeth feel all hairy. :(

ny biker
08-19-2008, 07:14 AM
I think this is a question for Alton Brown. Has he ever done apples on Good Eats?

lph
08-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Not to mention they make my teeth feel all hairy. :(

*snort* this had me laughing out loud. :D I know the feeling. But I do like bananas. In moderation, 2 at a time is more than enough for anyone more humanoid than ape.

7rider
08-19-2008, 09:28 AM
Not to mention they make my teeth feel all hairy. :(

Spinach does that for me.

ny biker
08-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Spinach does that for me.

Totally. But I still love spinach.

OakLeaf
08-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Apples make me nauseous too, I can eat a slice, but that is all. I too want to know why. I know if I eat 'Pink Ladies' they don't give me a stomach ache, but I generally stay away from apples in general.

Bananas upset my system in a different way. With gas and bloating. Not to mention they make my teeth feel all hairy. :(

We must be twins.

Zen
08-19-2008, 09:01 PM
Oh boy.
Two women with gas, bloating, and hairy teeth :D

TahoeDirtGirl
08-20-2008, 05:13 AM

The hairy part gives away you are eating bananas that are kinda green. I hate that hairy feeling. The greenier bananas also tend to give you more gas and bloating too. The more ripe the banana the less gas and bloating...and I would suspect hairy feeling, will be less.

Smilie
08-20-2008, 06:31 AM
I am glad I am not the only one with hairy teeth and gas! :D

I am not sure about the green bananas as I only eat very yellow, but that makes sense with the gas from a green banana. They haven't broken down enough for me to digest I guess. I just try to stay away from them, and apples.

I would think spinach would make your teeth feel all slimey, not hairy. :D

But speaking of bananas, here is a great smoothie recipe that doesn't make me feel all gassy and hairy. Frozen mixed berries, orange juice, banana(can be very ripe-makes smoothie sweeter) and vanilla yogurt. Put all in a blender and yum! I have also used strawberry yogurt and cranberry juice. All very good, and no hairs on the teeth!

Mr. Bloom
08-20-2008, 03:12 PM
I think I need to yak!:D;)

badgercat
08-20-2008, 04:21 PM
I think this is a question for Alton Brown. Has he ever done apples on Good Eats?

Alriiiiight! Another Good Eats fan!

There seems to have been one about apples...
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ea/episode/0,1976,FOOD_9956_18489,00.html

and another about apple pie!
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ea/episode/0,1976,FOOD_9956_54835,00.html

So yeah, I'd love to know if he said anything about digestion...

Mr. Bloom
08-23-2008, 03:16 AM
Wow, I never heard of Alton Brown until this thread.

That Waldorf Salad looks yummy!

short cut sally
08-25-2008, 05:15 AM
Mr Silver, you gotta check out the food network channel..I know he is on at 11pm and I think maybe earlier, like 7 or 8pm. AB (alton brown) is my guru. I love AB. He does the chemistry of food and cooking processes which in turn makes "good eats":D