PDA

View Full Version : Diablo - May 8

SadieKate
04-24-2005, 08:44 PM
Another assault on Diablo - have to help Thom and V meet their goals so we'll make the sacrifice once again. :p

Road ride up North Gate from Arbolado Park this time.

We'll post the time as we get closer to the event. The hotter the weather, the earlier the departure.

cindysue
05-02-2005, 05:04 PM
My boyfriend and I will be around for this one. No wine country ride for me; I'm broke!

Just give me a time. We'll try to keep up with you!

SadieKate
05-02-2005, 05:37 PM
Wonderful! More new friends to meet!

I have no idea about the weather at this point. You guys flexible on the time? How about anyone else?

We're going to celebrate Andrew's 21st and Yellow's mumble b-days, so the more the merrier!

Veronica
05-02-2005, 06:10 PM
We're flexible. Right now Yahoo says 64 and showers for Sunday. :mad:

V.

aka_kim
05-02-2005, 06:53 PM
Maybe they'll be the same type of showers we had yesterday, as in none, even though there was supposed to be a 30% chance.

I'd like to go. And I'll try not to belittle Andrew's puny efforts this time :rolleyes:. (Actually, I'd bet he can probably do the mountain in about 50 minutes when he's trying.)

Bike Goddess
05-02-2005, 09:01 PM
The Bike Goddess is very unhappy :( :( :( :( . No Wine Country century, no Diablo climb......work, work, work! :mad: :mad:

Oh well, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY :D :D

CorsairMac
05-03-2005, 10:52 AM
The Bike Goddess is very unhappy :( :( :( :( . No Wine Country century, no Diablo climb......work, work, work! :mad: :mad:

Oh well, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY :D :D

Even Goddesses have to be human some days! (Gives the little people something to aspire to!) :p

yellow
05-05-2005, 11:42 AM
For those of you who didn't see the custom jersey thread, SK laments this May rain.

I'll go out and do my must-stop-raining-for-Diablo dance. I will have a can of Red Bull in each hand, an old chain around my neck, my new TE keychain balanced on my nose, and of course I will be wearing my Terry racer skort and sleeveless yellow jersey. I will be helmet-less, just to be daring.

But I am oh so conflicted.

This rain in may equates to snow in May in the mountains. I'm ready for some spring skiing...and this means that I'll be spring skiing into June. Which of course will cut into my riding. Oh woe. :p

SadieKate
05-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Oh, poor you (on the skiiing). Waa-waa-waa! Do we get a picture of this ensemble?

I hope this means you're skiing Saturday and riding Sunday (assuming we have a teeny break)? We got some celebratin' to do! Jo can lead the way!

slinkedog
05-05-2005, 12:27 PM
Yellow... sounds very intriguing. I'd maybe even be willing to shell out some bucks to see this one!! ;)

I say you go skiing! How many times do you get the opportunity to ski in June? You can ride all year, pretty much.

Veronica
05-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Yellow... sounds very intriguing. I'd maybe even be willing to shell out some bucks to see this one!! ;)

I say you go skiing! How many times do you get the opportunity to ski in June? You can ride all year, pretty much.

Slinkedog that's blasphepmy! :p Riding is SOOOO much more fun than skiing.

V.

aka_kim
05-05-2005, 01:48 PM
I'll go out and do my must-stop-raining-for-Diablo dance. I will have a can of Red Bull in each hand, an old chain around my neck, my new TE keychain balanced on my nose, and of course I will be wearing my Terry racer skort and sleeveless yellow jersey. I will be helmet-less, just to be daring.
Since I'm sure the dance will be successful and we'll be able to ride, maybe you could do a reenactment for us on Sunday? Maybe post-ride, after a few drinks?

SadieKate
05-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Even if we can't come up with a starting time yet, what have we decided regarding starting location? Are we going to move it closer to the post-ride libation location?

slinkedog
05-05-2005, 01:58 PM
V., I don't know. Skiing is pretty fun. Let's see, you get hauled up a hill by some machine and go down as fast as you can without killing yourself. It's like riding, but without having to climb. Sounds like a good thing to me!! :)

yellow
05-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Ohhh, but Slinke, I earn my turns.

No lift ride for me. Climb up. ski down. Repeat. When done, drink beer.

But I really want to do it in the sun. On corn snow.

y

jobob
05-05-2005, 08:46 PM
I'm not going to be able to make it this Sunday, too much stuff going on - I might even have to go into work :p :p

aka_kim
05-05-2005, 08:51 PM
I was thinking about starting from Heather Farm park instead of Arbolado, if we're doing the North side. It's across the street from where we'd be eating... Here's the map (http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?BFCat=&Pyt=Tmap&newFL=Use+Address+Below&addr=301+N.+San+Carlos+Drive&csz=Walnut+Creek%2C+CA&Country=us&Get%A0Map=Get+Map).

Veronica
05-06-2005, 04:04 AM
Are there bathrooms convienently located at Heather Farms? How hard is it to get across Ygnacio? by foot and by bike?

V.

slinkedog
05-06-2005, 06:53 AM
Yellow... where do you ski? You go up a whole mountain on foot? Wow! You are amazing! I think I would spend most of the day climbing and about 1/10th of it descending... oh wait... that sounds like most of my bike rides. ;)

yellow
05-06-2005, 06:54 AM
Weather Report:

Well, we can hope Kim's prediction about the weather being wrong is right.

It was supposed to be clear-ish here in the foothills this morning and it's still raining, raining, raining. :(

jobob
05-06-2005, 07:01 AM
If memory serves .... there are public restrooms at Heather Farms park but I don't know if they're open all the time. There's a stoplight at the intersection at the entrance to Heather Farms so you can use that to cross Ygnacio.

aka_kim
05-06-2005, 07:21 AM
Ditto what Jo said. There are restrooms at Heather Farm, lots in fact. And there's a signal to cross Ygnacio right there. I take the route from Heather Farm up to the North Gate road turnoff all the time, it's a marked bike route on quiet residential streets.

SadieKate
05-06-2005, 07:50 AM
I'm not going to be able to make it this Sunday, too much stuff going on - I might even have to go into work :p :pWhat? Work over riding? I think you're caring the Puritan work ethic a bit too far. :p

Veronica
05-06-2005, 08:04 AM
Alright, I say Heather Farms it is then. Thom read a weather report that said showers would be coming in Sunday afternoon, so he suggested an early start to get us off the mountain before it rains. How is 9?

I'll miss you Jo - and Lee too of course. :(

Who else is coming? Right now I now I'm thinking Cindy and BF, Jenny and Jason, SK and Bubba, Kim (bring the Pilot!), T and me. But SK is good for bringing the hordes. :D

V.

SadieKate
05-06-2005, 08:08 AM
Mother's Day has thinned out the troops. I think Andrew is coming so Kim can make fun of him but I haven't heard from him yet.

Still awaiting confirmation from Yellow and hubby. We may have to take a back seat to the spring snow.

yellow
05-06-2005, 10:42 AM
Oh I am most definitely NOT skiing, I am riding :) (it's still winter up there in thar mountains, not spring. OK, well maybe it's almost spring, but it sure ain't t-shirt skiing weather).

SK, send me an email and let me know what time we need to be at your place! Maybe I'll be able to get hubby to bake a cake. Yellow or white or carrot or spice?

y

SadieKate
05-06-2005, 11:01 AM
We like this hubby! Fishes, rides and bakes! I want one! Oh yeah, I got one and he's keeper size too. :p When it comes to cake, I'm a carrot kinda gal but it isn't my b-day. Can I vote again in October?

We're leaving our house at 7:30 am in an attempt to be there on time and keep the clan from freezing while we get ready.

Reminder to self, be sure to check where North is on the map. It wasn't my fault!!!!!!!!

Veronica
05-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Will there be frosting? I LIKE frosting.

V.

SadieKate
05-06-2005, 11:17 AM
But SK is good for bringing the hordes. :D

I'm going to tell Robb you called him a horde.

Just emailed you again. Swapped out the Word doc for a JPG. Maybe that'll work.

yellow
05-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Will there be frosting? I LIKE frosting.

But of course. I like carrot too so I'll request that, with cream cheese frosting for youse guys and some other non-dairy alternative for me.

Kim & CindySue, you OK with carrot cake?

Hubby is the cook in the family. I do OK with spaghetti, though. And I can punch buttons on a microwave.

SadieKate
05-06-2005, 11:21 AM
OK with carrot cake?Jason may follow you home and move in.

Veronica
05-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Swapped out the Word doc for a JPG. Maybe that'll work.

Our e mail at work is being wonky. I sent some stuff to other teachers from my house last night and it still hasn't arrived.

I'll blame it on Outlook. Or maybe it's because we have like 5 tech people to cover the entire district of 21 schools.

V.

aka_kim
05-06-2005, 12:23 PM
I love carrot cake, with rich creamy frosting.

Better start doing the rain dance, Yellow, it's all up to you. :)

slinkedog
05-06-2005, 03:17 PM
Okay, I know I keep hijacking this thread, but I have to pipe in about carrot cake. The world's best carrot cake can be had at a local bakery (for all you South Bay women) called Icing on the Cake in Los Gatos. Blaine and I had it for our wedding cake and I have it every year for my birthday and we have it for our anniversary. We actually ate some on our first date. It's heavenly. If we ever all get together, I promise to bring some.

cindysue
05-06-2005, 03:36 PM
I'm in and I love carrot cake. My BF - another "Andrew" loves all dessert and will be quite tickled to be so rewarded. It will be his first time up Diablo. In fact he has not been on a road bike in many many years with the exception of two weeks ago - we rode to Danville and back to get his feet wet again. You may recall we are riding to Santa Barbara this spring (June 13...). So this will be a good test ride, as there will be plenty of hills between here and SB.

slinkedog
05-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Cindy... please post it in the recipes thread when you get a moment! I'm always looking for a good carrot cake recipe and have yet to find one I'm very happy with! I'm sure yours will be truly fabulous! :)

Your trip to SB sounds like SO MUCH fun! Are you guys going to camp or stay in motels or what? Where are you going to start from? Are you driving back or riding back?

SadieKate
05-06-2005, 03:42 PM
It shouldn't amaze me any longer at how fast we can go from dicussing biking to eating. :p

slinkedog
05-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Well, you don't eat, you don't bike. It's that simple!! Right? :rolleyes:

I bike to eat, so that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

cindysue
05-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Carrot Cake - from "the Silver Palate"

3 cups flour
3 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbl baking soda
1 tbl ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups corn oil
4 large eggs - lightly beaten
1 tbl vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
1 1/3 cups prueed cooked carrots
3/4 cup drained crushed pineapple

1) Preheat oven to 350*. Grease two 9-inch layer cake pans lined with wax paper.
2) sift dry ingredients into a bowl. Add oil, eggs and vanilla. Beat well. Fold in walnuts, coconut, carrots, pineapple.
3) pour batter into prepared pans. Set on middle rack of the oven. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until edges have pulled away from sides and a cake tester inserted comes out clean.
4) Cool on a cake rack for 3 hours. Fill cake and frost sides with cream-cheese frosting. Dust w/ powdered sugar.

Frosting

8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
6 tbl sweet butter, room temperature
3 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
juice of 1/2 lemon (optional)

1) cream together cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl
2) slowy sift in confectioners' sugar. Continue beating until fully incorporated. Mixture should be free of lumps.
Stir in vanilla and lemon juice

slinkedog
05-06-2005, 03:51 PM
Copied and pasted into my recipe file! THANKS! Looks really good! :)

cindysue
05-06-2005, 03:52 PM
Cindy... please post it in the recipes thread when you get a moment! I'm always looking for a good carrot cake recipe and have yet to find one I'm very happy with! I'm sure yours will be truly fabulous! :)

Your trip to SB sounds like SO MUCH fun! Are you guys going to camp or stay in motels or what? Where are you going to start from? Are you driving back or riding back?

ok, cutting and pasting recipe over there.

We will be camping and hoteling it. first night in a hotel. Next two nights camping. Next two nights in a hotel w/ the 5th night at a nice B&B. Cant' wait! We will BART over to SF (?? not sure exact starting point - but we have a map from Adventure Cycling). We plan to rent a car for the trip back. I bought a trailer, so this should be a lot of fun.

We are going to do a test ride and camp on Mt. Diablo soon. Maybe all of you can join us?????

cindysue
05-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Okay, I know I keep hijacking this thread, but I have to pipe in about carrot cake. The world's best carrot cake can be had at a local bakery (for all you South Bay women) called Icing on the Cake in Los Gatos. Blaine and I had it for our wedding cake and I have it every year for my birthday and we have it for our anniversary. We actually ate some on our first date. It's heavenly. If we ever all get together, I promise to bring some.

i love mushy romantic stories like that!

cindysue
05-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Kim (bring the Pilot!),

Pilot? Seriously? I ask because Andrew (my BF) flys aerobatics as a hobby. I'm sure he'd love someone to chat with over carrot cake :)

aka_kim
05-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Pilot? Seriously?
Uh, no. It's just a nickname we've given him (which he doesn't know about). He's not supposed to ride hills, so won't be joining us.

cindysue
05-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Uh, no. It's just a nickname we've given him (which he doesn't know about). He's not supposed to ride hills, so won't be joining us.

ahhh OK, thanks for clearing up. But now I'm curious..........

Bike Goddess
05-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Thanks for CCake recipe. I've got one as well that's pretty darn good. I'll put it in the recipe section.

Have fun Sun :) :) :) day!

SadieKate
05-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Pilot? Seriously? I ask because Andrew (my BF) flys acrobatics as a hobby. I'm sure he'd love someone to chat with over carrot cake :)OK for 30 seconds of conversation, he can talk to Bubba about the time he flew a T-38 trainer upside down over Pike's Peak. Eeek :eek: urp :p

yellow
05-07-2005, 11:20 AM
It shouldn't amaze me any longer at how fast we can go from dicussing biking to eating. :p

Lance was right. It's not about the bike. It's about eating. ;)

aka_kim
05-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Rain showers in the morning becoming steady in the afternoon. :(

SadieKate
05-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Rain showers in the morning becoming steady in the afternoon. :(La-la-la, I'm not listening! :p

Trek420
05-07-2005, 05:01 PM
folks, rain looks just too likely so I'm going to say no. Now watch the weather be just gorgeous.

if we get rained out....next week?

yellow
05-07-2005, 05:24 PM
The cake is in the oven. It can't rain, otherwise we'll have to eat all of it ourselves. I cannot afford a new wardrobe.

And I just checked the long range forecast for next weekend's Slug Gulch ride and lo and behold...more rain. But of course SATURDAY it's not supposed to rain.

Perhaps my dancing is having the reverse effect?

Veronica
05-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Well we could all just get together and eat cake and forget about riding. :p

V.

spazzdog
05-07-2005, 05:44 PM
yellow... can you do the dance standing on your hands?

it's raining there, it's raining here. i know you haven't lost your touch... the world has just gone scattiwompus!

Quick! Kick up into a handstand and boogie your little upside down butt off! :D

ever-hopeful for sun, spazz

SadieKate
05-07-2005, 08:08 PM
I'll go out and do my must-stop-raining-for-Diablo dance. I will have a can of Red Bull in each hand, an old chain around my neck, my new TE keychain balanced on my nose, and of course I will be wearing my Terry racer skort and sleeveless yellow jersey. I will be helmet-less, just to be daring.Perhaps we need a entire chorus line? Oh girls! Get you cleats a tapping!

yellow
05-08-2005, 04:31 AM
And this morning for the foothills of the Sierra Nevada:

Rain showers

(it's too dark for me to give any more details)

:mad:

Veronica
05-08-2005, 05:23 AM
It's already raining here. :mad:

I'm seriously considering putting the bike back into the trainer!

But more importantly, what are you going to do with the carrot cake? ;)

V.

SadieKate
05-08-2005, 05:42 AM
I can't believe this. 24 hours early! It was pouring here loud enough to wake me up about 2 am. Bubba just talked to Yellow and they're going back to bed. Cake is untouched. Hmmmm . . . . . :mad: :( :mad:

Veronica
05-08-2005, 05:46 AM
I guess I get to spend the day cleaning the house and grading papers after all. Maybe I'll finally get around to making that apple pie Thom wants.

Weather forecast for NEXT Saturday looks promising.

V.

yellow
05-08-2005, 05:51 AM
I will eat the little unfrosted corner sometime today. Here is my list of alternate things to do today, durnit! :mad:

1. Clean all those dead bugs out of the light fixtures.
2. Scrub the kitchen floor.
3. Super-clean the wood floor.
4. Iron that big stack of clothes that need to be ironed. No maybe scratch that, since most of them are sleeveless summer-type shirts. It seems that I won't be needing those for a while.
5. Prep the dining room for painting.

As you can see, I have all kinds of fun things to do. I'm not bitter.

aka_kim
05-08-2005, 06:32 AM
And the forecast for Tuesday thru Saturday: sunny and warm. ARGH! Do the weather gods not understand our wishes?

Why is Slug Gulch on Sunday, I don't remember?

SadieKate
05-08-2005, 07:44 AM
Why is Slug Gulch on Sunday, I don't remember? Because I can't do it Saturday. However, I won't be hurt it you all reschedule to Saturday. I'll send Bubba by himself.

Bubba just make me warm drop biscuits. Yumm!

cindysue
05-08-2005, 07:56 AM
we're still going. See ya out there if you dare!

Veronica
05-08-2005, 07:57 AM
Tell us how it goes.

V.

cindysue
05-08-2005, 08:00 AM
i sent V. my number if anyone changes their mind. Signing off......

cindysue
05-08-2005, 11:50 AM
back - nice long HOT shower..........

OK, yes it was raining and windy. And i probably wouldn't have gone, but Andrew insisted. Of course, I had already rode in the rain in Chico, and I will likely ride in the rain somewhere between here and Santa Barbara, so all in all, it was probably a good idea. hmmmmmm, the hot shower helped.

We went up north gate, just to the junction, down southgate through Alamo and back home. A few windy spots just to remind me that SB is going to be a struggle with a trailer in tow........ I'd better get some training and hills in with that beast.

OK, Time for lunch! So, whatever happened to that carrot cake?

When is the next planned assault?

SadieKate
05-08-2005, 11:56 AM
Oh, I'm glad to hear you're home safely. Wet rims = :( . Coming down the steeper road up above the junction when it's wet sounded pretty scary and it can be windy up there at the best of times.

CorsairMac
05-08-2005, 09:21 PM
I can't believe this. 24 hours early! It was pouring here loud enough to wake me up about 2 am. Bubba just talked to Yellow and they're going back to bed. Cake is untouched. Hmmmm . . . . . :mad: :( :mad:

bubba and yellow are going to bed?.....does yellow know about this??

yellow
05-09-2005, 11:20 AM
:eek:

"They" being me & my honey, who is not Bubba!

The cake for your information, got divided into freezable pieces. I'll bring some to the Slug Gulch picnic. So V...I'll have to feed you cake some other time since you can't make Slug Gulch. :o

Speaking of Slug Gulch, see that thread for a proposal.