PDA

View Full Version : University of Connecticut?

minn
08-18-2008, 08:18 AM
Hey fellow TE'rs- I am considering going to grad school in CT...how is the road biking in that area (Storrs)? Is there a triathlon community? Any clubs that you know of? Thanks for the info!

berkeley
08-18-2008, 08:26 AM
There are actually quite a few cycling clubs out this way! And lots and lots of quiet roads for biking, too. But it's not a place to ride if you just want flat flat rides. lol

Don't know about tri clubs, but I'm sure there are some.

What department will you be in?

minn
08-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Hills? I love hills!

If I decide to apply to the University, it will be in Higher Education & Student Affairs! Do you have experience with this University? I would love to hear someone's opinions/suggestions!

quint41
08-18-2008, 09:08 AM
I live about 30 minutes from UConn. It's hilly out that way, but quiet. I've never ridden there, but I'm sure we could find you some routes on MapmyRide or one of those sites. There are clubs around here -- AMC biking, Yankee Pedalers, and there's probably a bike shop around there that has group rides/training.

Let me know if you do go there. Would love to invite you on one of our lovely rides!

Louise

berkeley
08-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Hills? I love hills!

If I decide to apply to the University, it will be in Higher Education & Student Affairs! Do you have experience with this University? I would love to hear someone's opinions/suggestions!

Yep! We live about 4 miles from campus and my husband is a professor. Do you have any specific questions? I'm not familiar with the Higher Ed/SA department, but I'm sure my DH does, if you have anything particular you'd like to know about.

It's a very quiet part of the state, which isn't for everyone. Lots of farms, cow pastures. Makes it a really nice place to ride though, I think. Plus, you're not that far from stuff by car.

We both are able to commute to work via bike too, which is an added bonus! :D

aicabsolut
08-18-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm pretty sure UConn has a cycling team. They're in the ECCC, which is a fantastic, large conference with lots of women racers. (I'm in the ACCC but we have a dual conference race in Philly every year now). Of course, you can be on the club and not race. I have found that, even as a grad student, collegiate cycling clubs and races are a GREAT way to be introduced to racing :D. I don't know if they have a separate tri club, but you might ask around about that too.