PDA

View Full Version : Can the way you peddal hurt your knees?

KSH
04-24-2005, 07:50 PM
OK... I have had my seat refitted, because my left knee was hurting.

Now, the inside of my right knee is hurting.

I have been told that my seat maybe too forward... but I also speculate if maybe I am doing something odd with with peddaling that is making my knee hurt. I think this because it only starts to hurt when I peddal hard.... and go faster than 18 MPH.

So, do you know if knee pain can be caused from the way you peddal? And yes, I am clipped in.

spazzdog
04-25-2005, 04:04 AM
See your other thread... I left you a reply regarding just this topic.

As an addendum to that, maybe you're also pushing to hard a gear. Go to a lower (easier) gear and spin. Pushing a hard (higher) gear or "mashing" puts strain on the knee and uses more energy.

spazz

bounceswoosh
04-25-2005, 10:27 AM
OK... I have had my seat refitted, because my left knee was hurting.

Now, the inside of my right knee is hurting.

I have been told that my seat maybe too forward... but I also speculate if maybe I am doing something odd with with peddaling that is making my knee hurt. I think this because it only starts to hurt when I peddal hard.... and go faster than 18 MPH.

So, do you know if knee pain can be caused from the way you peddal? And yes, I am clipped in.

Have you had the bike shop look at the angle of your feet when you're clipped in? My own bike's pedals are super-comfy, but when I use the pedals at the spin class, my knees hurt -- I think it's because my feet are at a different angle.

RoadRaven
04-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Inside of knee pain (according to Arnie Baker, "Bicyling Medicine")

Cleats - toes point out (modify cleat position - toe in ... or consider floating pedals)

Floating pedals (limit float to 5 degrees)

Existing clipless pedals (lower tension)

Feet too far apart (modify cleat position - closer... or shorten bottom bracket axle... or use cranks with less offset)

Good luck KSH