PDA

View Full Version : Buying a bike off Ebay: The Good, Bad and Ugly

cherinyc
08-17-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi Ladies -
I recently tested (and loved) a 2008 WSD Specialized Myka Comp MT Bike. This particular bike, which is in my price range, had 1 fault. It's an 8 speed vs a 9 speed, and my FH (future husband) insists that a 9 speed is a must. The step up model that IS a 9 speed is of course $400 more - putting it OUT of my rice range.

As fate would have it, I was searching ebay, and found the EXACT bike I tested (same size, color, model, year, etc) that a guy is selling because his wife is too tall for it. He has upgraded it to the 9 speed already, and starting bid is lower than the 8 speed bike would be in the store. The listing had lots of close up pics, and after 2 days of fretting, I took a leap and placed a bid. I am really nervous about it (haven't really used ebay that much) but the guy has been a member since 2004 and has 15 ratings at 100% positive. I looks like he sells a lot of bike parts, so he may be a bike shop worker (:confused:) maybe?

I bought my road bike from a lbs when I lived in NJ and was happy to spend the money for the service I received - but, it just seemed too perfect of a chance to pass up. I also think I am protected through PayPal if the bike is not as described.

Any Ebay experiences out there? I want to hear them all - The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly!!!!

Thanks

badgercat
08-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Well, I've never purchased anything cycling-related off of eBay, but I have had one "ugly" experience where I ordered a collector's edition DVD set that was described as "in original packaging" (which should have been a nice, gate-fold box thing), and was sent DVD's that were packaged as individual rentals from Hollywood Video! With the Hollywood labels still on the cases! The nerve! :mad:

I was promised a refund, so I shipped the DVD's back like a sucker, and after a few weeks hadn't received my refund after several emails to the seller and opening an eBay dispute and such. I finally filed a claim with PayPal, and within a few days they ruled in my favor, and I got a full refund.

Obviously, my item was worth much less than a bicycle, but it's at least 'proof of concept' that PayPal has a pretty good system in place to protect buyers. :) However, don't be afraid to ask the seller lots of questions to make sure you know what you're getting into and protect yourself from getting burned in the first place! Any good seller should be happy to answer questions about an item.

I haven't bought a ton of stuff on eBay, but I have been using it for over 4 years now and that's the only time I've ever really had a big problem.

Good luck!

bambu101
08-17-2008, 12:12 PM
I recently got a great deal on a Terry Classic off eBay, and it was about 1/2 the price of comparable bikes on the Terry Buy and Sell section of their website. I am very happy with it!

cherinyc
08-17-2008, 12:19 PM
I recently got a great deal on a Terry Classic off eBay, and it was about 1/2 the price of comparable bikes on the Terry Buy and Sell section of their website. I am very happy with it!

Thanks for sharing that. Were you skeptical? Isn't it sad that there are so many things to distrust these days? I just don't want to be scammed. After riding this bike around the bike shop for an hour (it was raining/flooding outside) I was sad to leave the store without her. Seeing the same bike on Ebay gave me hope.....which I am prepared to have shattered.:o

mimitabby
08-17-2008, 12:33 PM
I bought my bianchi off ebay and except for the fact that it was used a lot more than they said it was, it was a wonderful deal.

Blueberry
08-17-2008, 01:26 PM
I think the most important thing is to have contact with the seller. You might email some questions? I purchased a Surly off of Ebay a couple of years ago. It was an impulse purchase (of sorts), but a shop was selling it and they listed their phone number. I called them, and they answered all my questions. I had to get a few things re-done (for example, they didn't use the correct splitter on the brakes according to my LBS), but overall it was a great experience. After about $100 (including labor), it was perfect. I love the bike. Funny - I was in a shop that's near me (about 2 hours away, but somewhere I go often), and was talking to the owner about the bike. Turns out, it was his wife's bike (he moved to NC from TX).

CA

cherinyc
08-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Funny - I was in a shop that's near me (about 2 hours away, but somewhere I go often), and was talking to the owner about the bike. Turns out, it was his wife's bike (he moved to NC from TX).

CA

That makes me feel less guilty. If a bike shop owner is SELLING on Ebay, it can't be all that bad to BUY on Ebay.

emily_in_nc
08-17-2008, 01:44 PM
I have bought a used mountain bike on ebay, and a new road bike frame/fork. Both were from small LBS dealers. Both experiences were positive ones. I have also sold a bike on ebay (expensive tandem), and that also went well. I'm getting ready to list another bike on ebay today, in fact.

Generally, if the seller has good positive feedback and has been around awhile, you're not going to get scammed. Lots of photos (not from manufacturer's site!) are also very helpful as they you know they actually have the bike in hand. It's good that you did your homework ahead of time so know what size you need. One thing you may want to do, like someone else mentioned, is just establish contact with the seller. If he doesn't have all the bike's measurements listed on the website, have him measure the top tube or something. That both establishes contact and ensures that he is the communicative sort, and ensures that you are getting the size advertised. The only thing that *might* have gone just a bit "wrong" with one of my purchases is that after measuring it myself, I think the frame I got may have been one size larger than it was listed as, but thankfully, it still worked for me.

It will probably be just fine. Breeeeeeeeeeeeeeeathe! :p :D And let us know how it all turns out!

Emily

Blueberry
08-17-2008, 02:33 PM
*thread hijack*

What bike are you selling, Emily?? Not your Aegis?!!!:confused::eek::(

Southside Sally
08-17-2008, 02:50 PM
I bought my Blue on eBay and had a perfectly wonderful experience, whcih was great, because it was a high end bike. I got a great deal, and I love the bike. Just make sure you check the seller's feedback, and correspond with them prior to buying, if possible. Good luck!

cherinyc
08-17-2008, 02:53 PM
One thing you may want to do, like someone else mentioned, is just establish contact with the seller. If he doesn't have all the bike's measurements listed on the website, have him measure the top tube or something. That both establishes contact and ensures that he is the communicative sort, and ensures that you are getting the size advertised. Emily

This is my fear. Although I have read others feedback about him, and all is good....I asked a question Friday night and he hasn't responded. My FH had a point, that he could've gone away for the weekend or something, but it's still freaking me out.

uforgot
08-17-2008, 02:55 PM
I've purchased two mountain bikes and a Burley road frame. All experiences were good. Make sure you check (read!) all of their feedback. I also don't do any business at all with someone who sells something that isn't nicely displayed. It shows they care, but if it's in the garage with junk all around it, they don't. I've even seen pics where they don't even bother to take it from behind stuff. Lots of pics and ask them at least one question and see how they respond. I also don't deal with anyone who appears to be even the least obnoxious in their descriptions. You know, the ones who threaten about non paying bidders and such. There is probably a reason they have problems. I've been buying and selling on ebay for 10 years and the only bad buying/selling experience was on TE! I paid, she didn't send and disappeared.

Also, pay with a credit card. That way you have options if things don't go well. I always use a credit card for big ticket items. Don't think that paypal will help, they won't (my TE purchase), but you can always dispute through your credit card.

And, uh, yeah Emily, which bike are you selling?

uforgot
08-17-2008, 02:58 PM
This is my fear. Although I have read others feedback about him, and all is good....I asked a question Friday night and he hasn't responded. My FH had a point, that he could've gone away for the weekend or something, but it's still freaking me out.

Sometimes they only answer on weekdays because it is coming from a business. Don't freak until after tomorrow.

By the way, I just purchased a Myka and love it!

cherinyc
08-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Don't freak until after tomorrow.

Umm, I'll try. If only I could tear myself away from the computer. :rolleyes:

Pedal Wench
08-17-2008, 03:12 PM
I've had lots of good experiences -- bought 5 bikes/frames off of Ebay, all with good luck.

Like others have said, establish contact with the seller -- they might take more care with shipping if they 'know' you.

Also, watch the bidding. Many people wait until the very last second to snipe in with a last-minute winning bid. Be prepared with your highest offer to go in at the last (and I'm serious -- with 5 seconds to go) minute with the most you're willing to spend.

cherinyc
08-17-2008, 03:39 PM
He responded. Yea!! :) Feeling better now. He has a "Buy Now" price, and starting bid was $150 less than that. I placed my starting bid, with my max bid being the "Buy Now" price. I am willing to pay the high end, and hoping that my max bid will hold it for me. I have an text message alert set up to let me know if I get out bid.

IFjane
08-17-2008, 04:28 PM
You will be fine - it sounds like he is an experienced seller and if he was trying to pull anything over on folks he wouldn't last long there. My DH bought two bikes & many many assorted parts on ebay and has not had a problem.

Let us know how it goes & post pictures if you get it!

cherinyc
08-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Let us know how it goes & post pictures if you get it!

You bet!! Thanks TE ladies for the reassurance I've needed. :p

emily_in_nc
08-17-2008, 05:00 PM
*thread hijack*

What bike are you selling, Emily?? Not your Aegis?!!!:confused::eek::(

Yes -- I've been steeling myself to sell her for a year, and it's time. It's a very hard thing to do, but I haven't ridden her since late 2005, if you can believe that. She's only been used on the trainer since then, and she's so much better than that. I'm just not riding on the road much any more due to other interests now, and when I do, my Bike Friday is much more practical for the type of rides I do now (more lifestyle/utility rides). I'm enjoying some *non-technical* :D mountain bike riding too, but just not doing events or fast club rides any more. So to have that fine a steed hanging in my garage just isn't smart, especially now that we've got a sailboat payment to make.

Emily

bluebug32
08-18-2008, 08:01 AM
My FH and I have had a lot of good luck on Ebay and gotten some real deals. There is some buyer protection built in too. Be sure to post pics if you win it.

cherinyc
08-18-2008, 08:45 AM
My bidding war is not looking good. Overnight some random person started bidding weird #'s. Who places a bid of $509.11? Anyway - it now appears that the guy has removed the "Buy it now" price that was there initially. I didn't know he could do that or I would've taken that deal. I don't have an infinite amount of money, so I will probably be outbid of my max (which is my ultimate max max). :(

Oh well. If it wasn't meant to be, it wasn't meant to be.

Beane
08-18-2008, 08:50 AM
Anyway - it now appears that the guy has removed the "Buy it now" price that was there initially. I didn't know he could do that or I would've taken that deal.

For some reason ebay has the policy of removing the buy-it-now option once the reserve price is met.

cherinyc
08-18-2008, 08:54 AM
For some reason ebay has the policy of removing the buy-it-now option once the reserve price is met.

I have been bidding on this since the start, and while my initial bid was up (the starting bid that he set) the "Buy it now" was still there. If I wasn't meeting the reserve price with my initial bid, it would tell me "your bid has not met the reserve price". Which it didn't.

spokewench
08-18-2008, 08:59 AM
When I was looking for a Giant frame a few years ago, I bid on a lot of bikes; even one that belonged to one of VeloGirls' teammates; but I was outbid at the very end every time.

I got frustrated because there were not that many Giant frames in my small size being sold, so I found a year old frame for sale at a shop in Phoenix and ended up buying that instead.

So, hang in there; you may or may not get the bike; and the bids that outbid you usually come in the last few minutes of the posting on Ebay.

My husband bought a snare drum on Ebay from some guy in NY City and that was almost a nightmare; he kept saying he was going to ship it and that it was going to come overnight and when it did not come, hubby would email the guy back and the guy would get back to him 4-5 days later and say he got delayed or something; we tried to stop payment at Pay Pal, but I hear if the seller takes the money; sometimes you don't get it back. Anyway, finally, many weeks later, the guy (flake) actually came through and shipped the snare to us via snail mail.

TxDoc
08-18-2008, 09:17 AM
My bidding war is not looking good. Overnight some random person started bidding weird #'s. Who places a bid of $509.11?

Hi,
despite the ebay suggestions of placing early bids to win the auctions - really the best way to win an item is to bid last, just a few seconds before the auction end. That is what I do, usually at 5 secs to go - barely enough time to click the button for the bid and for the confirmation! Sometimes, if my wireless lost connection for a second or anything - I lose the bid. Most of the time it works. Also, it gives you the opportunity to see if the predicted winning price fits your budget: if something that you are willing to pay 200 goes over 300 two hours before auction end - then you don;t need to waste your time checking your bids, since it's already out of range.
An bidding weird #s is also something you do to win, unless you are willing to pay a lot more than the current bidding price. For example the usual assumption is that people bid in 'round' numbers. So they would bid 100 but not 103, or 101, 107, 109... or 150, or 155, and so on. If you see a current bid of 100 or 105, you can decide to outbid for good with a 200 if you want to spend that kind of money - but if the item is not worth it then yo can go with the 'weird #s' and try 107, or 109.50 or 109.99 or something like that. Often time it works and saves you $$ compared to trying big outbids by posting round amounts ;)
Anyway, best of luck - and yes post pictures when you get it!
:)

cherinyc
08-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Hi,
despite the ebay suggestions of placing early bids to win the auctions - really the best way to win an item is to bid last, just a few seconds before the auction end. That is what I do, usually at 5 secs to go - barely enough time to click the button for the bid and for the confirmation! Sometimes, if my wireless lost connection for a second or anything - I lose the bid. Most of the time it works. Also, it gives you the opportunity to see if the predicted winning price fits your budget: if something that you are willing to pay 200 goes over 300 two hours before auction end - then you don;t need to waste your time checking your bids, since it's already out of range.
An bidding weird #s is also something you do to win, unless you are willing to pay a lot more than the current bidding price. For example the usual assumption is that people bid in 'round' numbers. So they would bid 100 but not 103, or 101, 107, 109... or 150, or 155, and so on. If you see a current bid of 100 or 105, you can decide to outbid for good with a 200 if you want to spend that kind of money - but if the item is not worth it then yo can go with the 'weird #s' and try 107, or 109.50 or 109.99 or something like that. Often time it works and saves you $$ compared to trying big outbids by posting round amounts ;)
Anyway, best of luck - and yes post pictures when you get it!
:)

WOW - it's like Ebay for Dummies (meaning me) :p:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the tips. If I don't win this one, at least I will be more ready for the next one.

mimitabby
08-18-2008, 04:19 PM
ha, i always bid weird numbers. I've won more than one auction by a few cents because of that.

malkin
08-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Bid once.
Bid your max.
Bid late in the auction-unless there's a BIN that you are willing to pay.

Everything I know I learned at the ebay Bidding Board.
Unless I learned it here at TE.

Possegal
08-18-2008, 04:51 PM
I think the buy it now option will disappear if someone bids OVER that price. Which it sounds like maybe someone has? And maybe even if someone bids a max that is over that, but the max isn't showing as the current bid. That too is one of the problems with waiting and bidding in the last seconds. Say the current bid shows at $100. It is possible that person put in a bid of $200, so if you go in and bid 110, then it will say you were outbid and the current bid is 111. then you go in and bid 120, and it reads 121. So it is possible to run out of time doing that. Personally, I'm a fan of the 'go in and bid the max you are willing to spend' style. Then I don't get caught up in the thrill of the win, and end up bidding more than I wanted to spend. Hey, my grandfather was a bookie by trade, there must be a bit of the gambler in me that I have to keep in check. :) And if you put in the max you are willing to pay, doesn't mean that is the amount you will pay if you win. That will depend on how much other people bump up your bid.

emily_in_nc
08-18-2008, 04:52 PM
I buy on ebay a lot and sell quite a bit as well. If I really, really want something, and especially if the auction ends when I'll be at work or away from the computer for some reason (imagine that! :D), I use esnipe. Their computers will place your max bid 6 seconds before the auction ends automatically. If you didn't bid enough, you lose, but if you bid the most and no one else knows your bid, you win -- so I win most of the auctions I "esnipe". It may sound a little unethical, but believe me, this type of bidding goes on ALL THE TIME on ebay. There are several different auction sniping services, esnipe is only one. You do have to pay a small amount for "esnipe bucks" (using Paypal), but when you first sign up you get a certain number for free, and I just put $5 for more bucks in ever so often, and it lasts a long time.

Just wanted to let you know that this exists. It's MUCH MUCH less stressful than hoping your internet connection won't die with 5 seconds to go in an auction, staying up all night until the end of an auction, or risking getting fired from your job for being on ebay at work! :D

Emily

teigyr
08-18-2008, 07:53 PM
I don't have much to add except for I have purchased a bike from eBay and it was fine. I think you can get a feel for sellers and whether or not they are scammers.

I have friends who swear by esnipe (http://www.esnipe.com). I'm torn...it kind of seems like cheating but I will bet anything I've been outbid by people using this service.

cherinyc
08-18-2008, 08:09 PM
I have friends who swear by esnipe (http://www.esnipe.com). I'm torn...it kind of seems like cheating but I will bet anything I've been outbid by people using this service.

Cheating Shmeating....:mad: I want this bike. Can you tell I was a tantrum throwing child?:D

I signed up for esnipe. I am still a little baffled about how it works, but I think I get it enough to just sit back and wait now. I've got about 12 hours, so....

I wish I had known about all these techniques before I placed the first stupid bid - which of course raised interest. Darn it!

short cut sally
08-19-2008, 05:46 AM
Hey Cheri, hows the bidding going?? Today is the day isn't it? (I've never bought a bike off ebay, lots and lots of biking stuff though..) And I do bid odd amounts. NEVER put in whole amounts, like $125.00. I'll put in 125.76, that change is usually what wins the bid sometimes. That's my theory, as it is Mimi's too. :D.

bluebug32
08-19-2008, 05:50 AM
Cheating Shmeating....:mad: I want this bike. Can you tell I was a tantrum throwing child?:D

I signed up for esnipe. I am still a little baffled about how it works, but I think I get it enough to just sit back and wait now. I've got about 12 hours, so....

I wish I had known about all these techniques before I placed the first stupid bid - which of course raised interest. Darn it!

I felt bad at first, but I've definitely won things through esnipe before. The rules of ebay have changed, so it's hard not to follow and use the tricks that everyone else does. I agree with bidding odd numbers too ($12.01, 8.59, etc.). It seems to work. And (this is always a shot in the dark), but have you contacted the buyer with an offer? Some people don't mind selling early if they know they will get the price they were looking for. Good luck!

cherinyc
08-19-2008, 06:11 AM
Bidding is down to just over 2 hours now, and no action in a day. The # counter at the bottom is at 217 though - so people are watching it. The bid is at $519.11 with me highest. I had placed my ebay max bid at $5X5.00 (#'s have been disguised to protect the innocent) ;). Obviously it was a previous ebay sleuth, and not myself, who bid $510.11. My max bid is set at I also went into esnipe and gave a max bid of $5X9.74. (I don't want to give away my info - JIC):cool:

:confused: If my max bid doesn't go up by $10 from the last person's bid - say they bid $5X3.11 and my max bid is $5X9.74 - will ebay take it? Or will it be bounced back as not high enough?

I did contact the seller asking him about where the buy it now price went. he said he didn't know, but would try and get it back on for me. He said if he couldn't get it back, I would just have to battle it out with the others. I took that as he was not willing to sell early. Besides, I thought ebay wouldn't let you stop early?

I think I will be outbid - thing is, that this bike - brand new at retail is on sale for ~$529.00. I'm not sure if people know that - but if they did their homework, maybe that will keep the bids where they are.

(fingers crossed)

SouthernBelle
08-19-2008, 06:22 AM
In the event you have the high bid on ebay, won't esnipe then raise it?

cherinyc
08-19-2008, 06:28 AM
In the event you have the high bid on ebay, won't esnipe then raise it?

No - you can't out bid yourself. esnipe goes in, acting as me, and with 6 sec to go - just puts in the high bid I gave them. Ebay acts as a proxy, only upping your bid enough to beat the last bid. It will see my highest bid, but won't apply it unless needed.

I was wondering the same thing - so I read up on that.

mimitabby
08-19-2008, 06:39 AM
once ANYONE bids, the buy it now thing goes away. That's the rule.

I don't use Esnipe. I just decide before hand how high i'm willing to go and bid.

good luck, i hope you get the bike. Change your bid to 6xx.xx

cherinyc
08-19-2008, 09:18 AM
:D

Guess what? I won the bike - for less than the original Buy Now Price, and way under my max bid. Yippee!!!

Now..UPS Insurance or NO UPS Insurance...That is the question. Isn't there UPS Insurance built in anyway? And if the bike gets to me in anything but "New" condition - like the seller is promising....well, then it's their fault kinda, right?
:confused::confused:

I WON!!
Here she is. Think I will call her Lucy. or maybe Dragon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160271640185&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching#ebayphotohosting

TxDoc
08-19-2008, 09:29 AM
Congrats on winning the bike!
I would suggest that you ask if they can ship using FedEx or DHL instead of UPS - much better service.
And yes, there is a 'built in' insurance but it's up to $100 - so if the bike is worth more than $100 then you have to pay for the extra insurance. I highly recommend that you do that - especially if you use UPS. I come from a recent bad experience where UPS damaged (irreparably) a carbon frame that was shipped to me. So I try not to do any business with them anymore...
:(

ridenread
08-19-2008, 10:20 AM
Definitely purchase insurance. It is not very expensive. Unfortuantely no matter how well it is packed, things do happen in transit. It is not the sellers fault if something happens once it leaves his hands if he packs properly. If you have the insurance for what the bike is worth, that is the only way you will get your money back if something does happen.

I sold on ebay for years,always packed things so carefully and securely and unfortunately sometimes things broke in transit. I always encouraged buyers to purchase the insurance so they would be covered.

Enjoy your new ride

elk
08-19-2008, 10:35 AM
The UPS DHL Fed Ex race sems to be regional.....In Maine they told us UPS was by far the most reliable and safest...

In any case I would DEFINATELY buy insurance for a higher priced item.

and BTW...I just bought a new Bianchi on ebay with no problems....although you might want to have your LBS give it a once over....

teigyr
08-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Yay!!! I am so glad it worked out for you :D

Triskeliongirl
08-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Congrats on winning the auction! Such a pretty color too. I use esnipe too, and usually set it for 4 sec (once I was outbid at 6). I don't think its cheating, there are no rules against it, its a service like anything else you choose to pay for and use or not, everyone has the same opportunity.

Definitely purchase insurance and definitely go UPS over fedex ground (or fedex home delivery which is the same as fedex ground but for home deliveries). UPS allows you to really insure it for what it is worth, and then claim that as long as you set up the insurance correctly (but check w seller since it seems in auction he specified $100, tell him you want it insured for price you are paying him). Fedex ground (ground not express) lets you pay to insure it for whatever value you declare but then has a max allowed claim of $100 regardless of what you thought you were insuring it for. I know this cuz they 'lost' my husbands trek 5500 for a couple of weeks. Turned out an employee stole it and it was recovered, but only cuz we had a friend call a friend that works for them who researched it for us. UPS is safer cuz all workers are real full time employees w benefits, etc.. Fedex Ground (which is run differently from fedex express) uses contract drivers and other temporary workers so its harder to control theft. I will never use fedex ground again for anything worth >$100 or with sentimental value. They also ruined my husband's bike trip......... And then they had the nerve to charge us for the shipping (they removed the charge when we called, but that is the procedure, they charge you and you have to ask to have them credit your credit card).

Fedex Express is fine though, but very expensive for a large item like a bike. Never insure a bike for more than you will be able to document value though, that is just throwing money away.

Aggie_Ama
08-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Congratulations!

One word of caution, if it looks a little more than one time used have the LBS check it out. Why? They are in College Station and the only true mountain bike trail I know of there is a sand pit. It might need a once over to make sure it is clean, maybe not just my husband ran into a lot of mechanicals over time from not realizing what that trail did to his bike. This is probably not going to be an issue but you know buyer beware.

It sure is a pretty bike you must be thrilled!

malkin
08-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Nice!
I hope it gets to you really really fast!

If you look at completed auctions, you can see that your seller was on his third try at selling it.

If you look at his feedback, you can see that he sells bike stuff, and one fb is for a rather high ticket item.

If you look at the time stamps on the bid history, you can see that your counter bidder was nibbling to get at your proxy...but your proxy had the moxy!!

emily_in_nc
08-19-2008, 06:04 PM
And (this is always a shot in the dark), but have you contacted the buyer with an offer? Some people don't mind selling early if they know they will get the price they were looking for. Good luck!

"Some people" are breaking ebay rules if they do that. Sellers are not allowed to offer an item for auction on ebay and then pull the auction, cancel existing bids, and sell "off ebay". It's just not allowed and is extremely unethical. Now, if they have an "or best offer" attached to their fixed-price listing, that's a totally different thing. Or, if their item doesn't sell and they hear from someone interested after the fact who wished they'd bid after all, the seller can re-list the item with a Buy-it-now so that the buyer can then do the BIN. But they definitely can't pull the auction and take a private offer in the middle of an auction. :eek:

Cherinyc, congratulations on winning the auction! That's a beautiful bike! :p

Emily

cherinyc
08-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Nice!
I hope it gets to you really really fast!

If you look at completed auctions, you can see that your seller was on his third try at selling it.

malkin - how did you see that he had tried selling it 2 times before? Gosh I am such an Ebay rookie.

I hope it gets to me really really fast too! :p (but safely of course)

smurfalicious
08-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Congrats but OMG NOOOOO to DHL! When I worked at T-Mobile we used DHL for a very short time period. After months of "I didn't get my phone," or "I swear on everything holy that I sent my warranty phone back" and the awful service experience it created we dumped them like a hot rock. Mind you a lot of the shipments were DHL @ Home and I think they f'ed up the hand off process to USPS a lot but I have nightmares when I see those trucks.