PDA

View Full Version : Mirrors

bikerHen
04-22-2005, 08:54 AM
Since 90% of my riding is on roads and highways, I have a handle bar mirror on my bike. I really like being able to see what's coming up behind me. DH has decided he wants one too. Since we are getting another one, I would love some input. Mirrors on the helmet vs. handle bars. I do have blind spots in the current mirror mostly caused by my elbow! Any opinions would be greatly appreicated. BikerHen

JanT
04-22-2005, 11:35 AM
I thought it might be a good idea to have a mirror for my road rides, so I bought the kind that hook onto your glasses. I've only tried it twice, and maybe didn't give it enough time. I kept having to move my head around to different angles to see what I wanted to see behind me. I never felt secure enough in that tiny reflection that I could rely on it to make any moves. So, I put it aside and continue to rely on my ears and a glance over the shoulder.

I will be interested to hear others' reports of their experiences with mirrors. Maybe I chose the wrong kind, or didn't give it enough time.

Deanna
04-22-2005, 01:08 PM
I started using the glasses type mirrors a few months ago. It took some getting used to, but now that I've been riding with them a while, its second nature to use them. I even catch myself looking up and to the left before crossing the street when I'm walking my dog :D . I chose the eyeglass style mirror because I have a couple of bikes and a tandem that I ride on--I only need one this way.

CorsairMac
04-22-2005, 01:19 PM
You can also go over to bikejournal.com and type mirrors in the search box....there was just a Huge thread going over there recently about mirrors, different types, what ppl use or don't use and why or why not, etc.

(of course while you're There - if you're so inclined of course - you could join the TE club over there and start logging your miles! it's free although a minor $10 donation is appreciated but Not Required to help Slantz keep it up and running ;))

nuthatch
04-22-2005, 02:11 PM
Corsair, you're shameless!! ;)

I've been using the handlebar mirror on my hybrid with straight-across bar and I am totally dependent on it (I'm not good at the quick swivel of the head back - my wheel follows my head direction!) Now that I have a road bike, I'm going to give the helmet mirror a go. It's got to be safer than turning my head!!!

spazzdog
04-22-2005, 02:42 PM
i'm thinkin' corsair REALLY scored when she was a kid and selling girl scout cookies... or candy bars... or magazines...

or were you that girl at the fair sellin' kisses, hmmmm :D

CorsairMac
04-22-2005, 02:49 PM
i'm thinkin' corsair REALLY scored when she was a kid and selling girl scout cookies... or candy bars... or magazines...

or were you that girl at the fair sellin' kisses, hmmmm :D

actually I was the girl at the fair under the bleachers doing things my momma told me good girls didn't do! :eek:

spazzdog
04-22-2005, 02:56 PM
guess I was just askin for that one....

eh-hmmm, and now back to "Mirrors":

I don't use on myself. I listen and occasionally glance over my shoulder.

spazz (promising to be a good dog for a few minutes)

AutumnBreez
04-22-2005, 03:37 PM
actually I was the girl at the fair under the bleachers doing things my momma told me good girls didn't do! :eek:

Oh my gosh...had me laugh'n on that one...
reminded me of those times I wasn't a good girl like mama wanted.
I had other ideas of fun too! but not doing things under bleachers...I chose a umm ....ummm car :eek: Please don't tell my mama though....she is best to think that I was a lil angel. Besides I am now and that is what matters...right???? shhhhhh....please...don't.....shhhh...

On with the mirror discussion....
that is a tough one...do I want to have something impaling me if I were to land on my bike mirror during a fall? or will the mirror on the helmet be safe if I do land on my head in someway? fearful questions, I don't have one yet and will watch this thread to see if someone can ease me on either.

SandyLS
04-22-2005, 04:56 PM
I always likes having a handlebar mirror on my mountian bike. A couple of weeks ago when I got my new Bianchi road bike with drop bars I couldn't figure out what to do about a mirror. I really missed not having one. I did a search on this TE forum on mirrors and found that a lot of people suggested the Take-a-Look mirror that can be mounted on glasses or on a helmet. I purchased one but the weather has taken a turn for the worse here in MI and I haven't had a chance to try it out. They can be ordered for under $20.00 right here on the TE website. I'll let you how I like it if it ever warms up again!

Adventure Girl
04-22-2005, 05:30 PM
I did a search on this TE forum on mirrors and found that a lot of people suggested the Take-a-Look mirror that can be mounted on glasses or on a helmet...They can be ordered for under $20.00 right here on the TE website.Nice job, SandyLS. Used the Search function AND gave a plug for TE! :D

Now a word from our sponsor!
http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=4043
http://www.teamestrogen.com/images/products/PP-200TAL_xlg.jpg

Bike Goddess
04-22-2005, 05:38 PM
Adventure Girl- HOW DID YOU KNOW? That's the very mirror I use! Brilliant, absolutely BRILLIANT! :D :D

This mirror can be used either on your glasses or on your helmet. I use it on my glasses and find it quite helpful. Yes, it does take time to adjust and I don't always catch that car behind me, but, overall I am glad I have one. I find it especially useful on heavily traveled windy (as in curvy) roads. :)

I find that often the wind noise drowns out motor noise so I can't count on my ears to tell me what's behind. :(

snapdragen
04-22-2005, 10:16 PM
I may have to give my Take A Look mirror another chance. I only used it for a day, but kept getting dizzy (hush peanut gallery, I was no where near a Lemon Drop).

I'm told once you get used to them, you will love them. Hmmm, someone said that to me about men once........ :D

cruziegirl
04-22-2005, 10:16 PM
I've been using the mirror-on-my-helmet version since I started commuting about 10 years ago. The mirrors on the handlebars bounce around too much for me. The one I use is a version I get from Performance.com and it has a gimble that allows me to remove the mirror/arm whenever I need to pack my helmet. It's very adjustable so I can angle it out of my line of vision but I can easily see what is behind me at any point. It's very convenient and I just wouldn't be without one.

xeney
04-23-2005, 06:25 AM
I use a handlebar mirror on my hybrid and I like it, but if I had anything other than a very slow ten-block commute through a residential area, I would need something else, because it does bounce around quite a lot. I like it when it is too windy for me to trust my ears, and when there is someone behind me who hasn't decided whether or not to pass me.

I should probably get a helmet mirror for using with my road bike. I don't ride in traffic very often but I am really nervous every time I do.

newfsmith
04-23-2005, 07:08 AM
On my flat bar bikes I use bar-ends and mount a Mirrycycle in the left one. By putting it in front of my hands I find that it is easier to adjust to give me the view I want, and easier to see than if they are mounted in the handlebar itself. Also I can put a stick-on spot reflector on the non-mirror surface, putting my front reflector further left. So far that has worked well. In the winter I also use the Cycle-aware helmet mirror because my neck mobility is further reduced by layers. I do use a Bell commuter helmet most of the time, and I'm not too impressed with their mirror system compared to other helmet mirrors, but it is functional although hard to adjust. Almost all helmet mirrors have pivots and breakaway features in event of a crash, but I try to wear safety googles when riding. (I use $10 AO Safety x-factors from Home Depot, they come with clear, yellow or blue lenses to cover all conditions for $30.) I haven't decided what to do on my new drop bar bike, but will probably just use a helmet mirror. I personally feel that some type of rear view mirror is as essential as bike lighting and ought to be required. If I can see a car in my mirror, I don't have to look back then and risk a swerve or hitting an unnoticed road hazard, I can wait until the mirror is clear to do my shoulder check. You still have to look back before you do a lane change or turn, but only having to check once or twice reduces fatique and "traffic stress" for me. Sorry to be so wordy.

SandyLS
05-05-2005, 12:24 PM
I've been out a couple of times now with my new "Take-a-Look"mirror which is mounted on my sun glasses. There is a learning curve for this thing, but I think it is going to be just fine. I found I kind of needed to do a drop left shoulder, raise and turn head slightly to get the best view from it. The hard part was figuring out how to adjust it right on the glasses. It also has a mount for ny helmet that has to be glued on. I hate to try it on the helmet then not like it there and be left with sticky stuff on my new helmet. Certainly it is better than no mirror for me and my self confidence on the road.
Sandy

emily_in_nc
05-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Another VERY satisfied Take-a-Look mirror user here! Before buying a mirror, I polled a lot of folks in my bike club, and this one was the winner, hands' down. I absolutely love it and won't ride without it - no way, no how. I don't care if it is a bit on the geek-chic side, I truly feel that it keeps me safer on the road. One adjusted, it doesn't vibrate and provides a great view behind.

Emily

shewhobikes
05-05-2005, 07:06 PM
OK, help me understand. I see lots of folks on my group rides with mirrors on the bars or the helmet (or perhaps their glasses). My question is...if you are riding with a helmet, as I hope and expect we all are, then why would you fasten to your glasses instead of helmet?

Obviously, I just don't know how this works via sticking the thing on, etc.

I do hear folks saying that attaching to the bars results in too much "jumping around," which make sense, if you are on the road bike.

emily_in_nc
05-06-2005, 11:13 AM
OK, help me understand. I see lots of folks on my group rides with mirrors on the bars or the helmet (or perhaps their glasses). My question is...if you are riding with a helmet, as I hope and expect we all are, then why would you fasten to your glasses instead of helmet?

I tried a helmet-mounted mirror, but it attached with sticky tape, and it just didn't stay on. It also vibrated a lot more because I guess my helmet vibrates more on my head than my glasses do. The Take-a-Look mirror mounted on my sunglasses just doesn't move. And no sticky tape to get de-stickied over time. The mounting mechanism is wire and couldn't be simpler. It can be removed and moved to a different pair of glasses if you wear more than one. And, it came highly recommended, that's why I tried it, and I love it, as stated above.

Emily

Surlygirl
05-06-2005, 03:50 PM
I like the Rhode Gear Multi Mirror. It attaches to the bar end instead of using a plug. It can be used either on a road bike or mountain bike. Its big, but I like that so I can see pretty well behind me. It also bends back out of the way when not in use. I've seen them at Adventure Cycling for about 18.00 under safety equipment.

JasCali
05-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Handlebar mirror for myself, I didn't even know that they made ones that could clip onto your glasses. I guess I could see how you might have some blindspots with the handlebar models, but I typically ride in almost barren areas, so I don't use the mirror that often anyway.