PDA

View Full Version : my first race next weekend

Aramei
04-22-2005, 07:16 AM
I'm doing my first ever mountain bike race next weekend (first race ever also..don't road ride)

My question is that it is also a 12 hour race and I will be doing the 3 hour race which won't start till later that day, but due to the fact that my BF will be doing the 12 hour I gotta hang around all day till my time to race.

I am wondering what I should be doing all day while waiting. What should I be eating, Should I do a few short rides just to warm up during the day. Or will that wear me out?

THANKS...

NEW RIDER,
CHRISTINE

bikerchick68
05-06-2005, 09:06 AM
yikes I just saw this today but am now wondering how your first race went? sorry no one responded to help... I only make it in here sorta hit and miss... anyway, hope your race was a positive experience! :)

han-grrl
05-06-2005, 08:02 PM
Sorry this is so late but...

race day eating

1) don't eat anything "new to you" on race day. yep comfort foods ;)
2) try not to eat anything spicy
3) stay hydrated.
4) try to stay off your feet until you are ready to warm up.
5) make sure you get a good meal 4 hours before racing, don't OVERfill yourself. not too fatty, good combination of nutrients.
6) stay hydrated.
7) yes i know i said that already. but its important if you are out in the sun all day.

that's all i can think of...

Let us know how it went

Han

Aramei
05-12-2005, 08:28 AM
Sorry, I didn't post about my race...oops....LOL

My 3 hour race was fun!! I did 3 5.4 mile laps, I rested in between. Took me about 45-50 minutes each lap..which was pretty great I thought.

I did go pretty slow, but the trail was full of rocks, tree roots, downhills with tree roots and rocks, steep falls with rock/roots....WOW!!!

BUT I managed to go through it without falling. Was a bit scary sometimes, but I did it!!!

My boyfriend told me that this was a hard course (with the rocks and roots and all) and I did great!!

It wasn't all about speed, I was just into it to see what I could accomplish.

So proud of myself when I was done that I cried!

Now, my next real race is this Sunday. A 10 mile course. Just hoping that I don't get run over by everyone passing me.. :p

I had a guy at the 3 hour race pass me and as he went by asked me if I was racing, he even looked back to see if I had a number plate...ugh!! :eek:

SadieKate
05-12-2005, 09:26 AM
It wasn't all about speed, I was just into it to see what I could accomplish.

So proud of myself when I was done that I cried! Good for you! It's like putting your toe in the water. I cry from happiness and exultation also. Sounds like a great goal.

I had a guy at the 3 hour race pass me and as he went by asked me if I was racing, he even looked back to see if I had a number plate...ugh!! :eek:What I'd like to say is not printable and against the rules of the forum. :mad: It would be interesting to see if he is ever thinking about a coaching or teaching career.

CorsairMac
05-12-2005, 09:11 PM
wooohoo ara - way to go!.......and good on you for finishing!! sounds like the race bug has bit ya hun!!......keep us posted! :D

Aramei
05-16-2005, 01:28 PM
Did my first "official" race yesterday....10 mile course. I finished in 1:46...actual ride time was 1:33....had to stop to catch breathe..I know, I know..don't ever stop!! LOL

Either way, I did great...except for being 25th out of 27 women.

Just got to be faster..any ideas??

RoadRaven
05-17-2005, 06:54 PM
Congrats on your 10 mile race - great feeling to finish your first ever race, huh? Well done!

Only way to get faster is keep riding and give your self regular challenges to ride further this time, or faster another time

I have circuits which I go as fast as I can on about once a month, i try and choose days that are similar so I am not measuring my self with a tail wind this month and a head wind the next.

This is a great way to measure your improvements and focus what you want to work on... you have a computer on your bike? Thats a great incentive... I have a new one on mine that has a little arrow beside my current speed. It points up if I am cycling above the average for that ride, or below. Its a great way to help me focus and push just a little harder if it is a speed ride i am doing