PDA

View Full Version : TE ride #4 ???

Crankin
08-12-2008, 01:08 PM
For the past 3 years I have led a TE ride on Labor Day weekend. I would like to get together again this year, but I am looking at the weekend of September 13 or 14. Either day would be fine with me. I know this is the time of year for centuries, etc. but it doesn't look like I will be doing the tour of lighthouses century I had planned on doing that weekend.
So, send me some feedback and we can plan. This will be a social, no drop ride, averaging around 13-15.5mph, depending on the hills. Regrouping and waiting will be part of the ride. We might get up to speeds of 17-20 on the flats, but this will not be a hammerfest.
It's thundering again :mad:

DebW
08-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Sounds like fun. Thanks for organizing this, Robyn. I'll be hiking with llamas and my little nephews on the 14th. On the 13th I may be working at the bike shop part of the day but hopefully could be available for a ride in mid-afternoon.

Jolt
08-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Well, I'm planning to go on an AMC backpacking trip that weekend (if I don't end up having to work then) and I don't think I'd be able to keep up with 13-15 mph average anyway.

Crankin
08-13-2008, 04:00 AM
OK, keep the comments coming.

NoNo
08-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Sounds interesting. Right now I'm open that weekend, but I'll keep an eye on any date changes. It'd be really nice to meet some TE'ers.

mayanorange
08-21-2008, 04:19 PM
Sounds like a great idea. I'll attempt to come and attempt to keep up. Do you have an idea of a route?

Crankin
08-22-2008, 03:27 AM
Well, it will be in the NW suburbs; I live in Concord, so usually we start here or in Acton or Stow. Last year we went to the Wayside Inn area in Sudbury. Two years ago we did a flattish (by request) 40 miles, starting in Concord, going into Acton, Stow, and Boxborough. So, probably a variation on one of these. If you are up for hills, I have a really nice route that goes into Harvard and Bolton a bit.
Keep the comments coming.

mayanorange
08-22-2008, 05:34 AM
Those are nice areas- we got married at the Colonial Inn last year, it was great fun. I'm not sure I could handle 40 miles- maybe if they were flat. I'm currently at 15-20 miles, tho it's rather hilly where we go by Dover, Natick. I'm willing to try for longer of course, just not sure how pretty it'll be! I'm averaging around 13mph including snailing my way up the hills and zooming like a crazy fool (25mph) down. I also don't draft yet because I'm worried about touching wheels (and my hubby sets the pace too high when he leads anyway). This would be my first group ride, so I might need a quick crash course on what's expected of me- signaling slowing, etc.

Crankin
08-22-2008, 08:12 AM
We won't be doing 40 miles this year; several of us were training for long rides 2 years ago, so that's what we did. Don't worry, you will be fine. I would estimate any ride we do will be around 25 miles. If we do the hilly route, naturally, speeds will go down.
I'm a ride leader with AMC and will review all the "rules" so you will feel comfortable. And, we will wait and regroup for anyone if need be. Last year I had a friend come as a sweep, so no one felt uncomfortable.

mayanorange
08-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Sounds great. Looking forward to it!

mayanorange
08-28-2008, 07:51 AM
Oh, I just realized we have an event that Saturday, so I could only do Sunday for the ride.

Crankin
08-28-2008, 04:49 PM
So, it looks like Deb can't come on Sunday and Mayaorange can't come on Saturday. I don't want to have to choose between people...
Who else is interested?

newfsmith
08-28-2008, 05:12 PM
I will be here the week-end of 9/13&14. I can do either day. The following week-end I will be in WI with my mother.

Crankin
08-30-2008, 03:34 AM
OK, I'll count you in, Jean.
Deb, I don't want to exclude a new person, so maybe we can schedule this on Sunday and we can ride another day. I have a lot of free time during the day, in between my studying.

DebW
08-30-2008, 04:52 AM
OK, I'll count you in, Jean.
Deb, I don't want to exclude a new person, so maybe we can schedule this on Sunday and we can ride another day. I have a lot of free time during the day, in between my studying.

Sure. I'll probably be back by 3-4 pm on Sunday, so maybe I can catch you all at the end of your ride.

Crankin
08-30-2008, 10:25 AM
OK, that sounds like a good idea, Deb. Especially if we end up doing lunch after the ride.
So... let's make the ride on Sunday, Sept. 14th.
Mayanorange
Jean (Newfsmith)
NoNo

Anyone else???

tygab
09-01-2008, 08:22 AM
Hi Robyn,

Unfortunately, I'm not free that weekend, though I wish I were (the last years were a lot of fun). I hope everyone has a good time!

Crankin
09-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Sorry, about that, Tasha. Well, you're probably way faster than me now, anyway!

Robyn
Who is having bike withdrawal. I left my bike at the shop to do the frame change over... I need to rest tomorrow and go to the gym, but I am itching to ride during the rest of the week. I guess I will be doing it on my Jamis, which means it will mostly be errands, maybe a couple of short loops. No matter what anyone says, I cannot ride the hybrid as fast as my road bike. I like the feeling of just riding for "play" or errands, but for a whole week?
I will survive.

mayanorange
09-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Cranklin- I really appreciate you wanting to include me but I may be out now- Yesterday DH and I did 24.8 miles (my longest by 8 miles!) with way too much wind and the usual rolling hills of Dover and Sherborn. Oh, and I had barely been on the bike since last weekend (dumb dumb Gwenn). Now I have a bruised bum- still working on finding the right shorts apparently- and a couple twitchy muscles in my hand that I hope are just repairing themselves. I need to go hunt down my fitter- I'm still putting way too much weight on my arms and he still owes me a stem we ordered about a month ago. I guess I'll have to see how things go the next weekish. Gwenn

kfergos
09-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Oooo fun! Riding with other people! I'd love to come and meet some other TE ladies.

I can do the 13th or 14th, although I'd prefer the 13th (or afternoon on the 14th).

Crankin
09-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Looks like we will do the afternoon of the 14th; we'll start around 11:00, ride and then do lunch.
Gwen, I read your post. I still think you should come. We will wait for you and I will try to plan a flattish route, as much as you can around here. Last year I had my friend sweep and she stayed with Jolt who rides a bit slower. This is supposed to be fun, not a race. Work on your tush issues, saddle/shorts between now and then. Look into some Body Glide or Chamois Butter. I know people aren't using the Chamois Butter now because of the chemicals in it, but there are plenty of products that can help with the problem.
I have a 22 mile route that leaves from Concord Center that I used on an AMC activity day. It was 95 degrees and the only two people who showed up were older men (older even than me) on hybrids. They did fine, going slowly. There are 3 hills that are not that long.
Kfergos, I will count you in. If that time is too early, let me know.

mayanorange
09-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Sounds good- 22 flatish miles sounds just about right for me. I can handle the bum pain, just don't want to destroy my already bad wrist. It's already feeling a lot better now than even this morning, so I don't think I killed it too bad. And I have an appt on Sat to get refit, so I should be good. *crossing fingers*

kfergos
09-02-2008, 09:35 AM
I can definitely do 11:00. I'll see you all on the 14th. You'll know me by the neon orange helmet streamers...:D

Crankin
09-02-2008, 02:18 PM
I will send out directions to the meeting place by PM next week. If you don't get a message from me by September 10, post here on this thread.
Mayo, the ride will be as flat as I can get it, given we are in Concord...
I definitely won't take you guys up my street :eek::eek:.
Anyone else?

NoNo
09-03-2008, 05:03 AM
11 works for me. Not so early I have to set my alarm to get up, not so late that I'll be getting home super late (it'll take me roughly 2.5hrs to get there). I'm excited to finally meet some TE'ers!:)

Crankin
09-03-2008, 05:39 AM
I'll be glad to meet some new people, too!

Robyn

mayanorange
09-03-2008, 05:47 AM
I can definitely do 11:00. I'll see you all on the 14th. You'll know me by the neon orange helmet streamers...:D

Ooooh... where does one acquire helmet streamers? I'll be the one with the new shiny blue shoes.

kfergos
09-03-2008, 06:03 AM
Ooooh... where does one acquire helmet streamers? I'll be the one with the new shiny blue shoes.

I acquired mine as a road-find. They're actually just a length of those orange ties people use to hold stuff down in their pickup truck beds. This particular bit seems to have frayed and fallen off; I picked it up, washed it, and threaded it through my helmet. It's long enough it hangs down my back. Alas, they're a tad heavy to actually fly out behind me unless I'm going scary-fast or it's super windy, but they move around some when I'm riding.

I've gotten lots of comments from people on organized rides, pretty much all positive. I've also heard from people who drive by me that they're really noticeable, flapping around as I ride along. Since that's the whole point, I'm happy to hear it works. ;)

NoNo
09-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Woo-hoo! My friend said she's going to come, too. I led a 10 mile ride a few weeks back, and that was the farthest she'd gone, so she's a little concerned. But she said she's game:) I can definitely hang back with her if she starts to falter a bit.

Crankin
09-08-2008, 03:45 AM
I have to fly out to Phx for a funeral. I will be back Thursday and send directions then. Weather is looking a little iffy, but it's early.

Robyn

Crankin
09-11-2008, 08:35 AM
I just sent directions to all of you and then just saw the weather forecast for Sunday :mad:. I just got home from Phoenix and I am a little dazed from a 2 day trip to AZ...
If it's raining or threatening at 9:00 AM, I think we will have to cancel. Please call my mobile phone # I PM'ed you or send me your email.

Robyn

Crankin
09-13-2008, 03:03 AM
In case anyone didn't get an email, I am canceling the ride tomorrow. The weather is predicting rain all day.
Please start talking about new dates that we can possibly get together. Anytime through the end of October....

mayanorange
09-16-2008, 03:41 PM
DH and I are finally getting our honeymoon as our 1 yr anniversary present, so we'll be gone Sept 25- Oct 12.

Crankin
09-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Have fun! Where are you going?
Any interest in riding Saturday?

mayanorange
09-17-2008, 09:07 AM
We're doing a blessing in England for DH's family, going to tool around NE England with my parents for a few days, then heading to Tuscany.

Saturday could work. I'd have to force myself onto the trainer tonight- haven't been riding much the last couple weeks.