PDA

View Full Version : has spinning improved your speed on the bike?

cindysue
04-21-2005, 05:15 PM
I'm slow on the road bike. I tend to go for the leasurly pace. I just started taking a spin class 2x a week when I can get in (the class is always packed). I'm wondering if those of you taking spin classes have found that it takes you a shorter amount of time to go the same distance (i.e., you're faster)?

Thanks for any and all advice on improving my speed through spin classes and otherwise........

Aramei
04-22-2005, 07:19 AM
I don't know how to answer this question except to say that I know the class has helped my endurance, cardio workout. I am just starting out and took a cycling/yoga class for 6 weeks..once a week. I'm now in a cycling/spinning class for 45 min once a week. My first class was this past Tuesday...was rough, but fun!! LOL I got sick/dizzy about 3/4 of the way through, but I kept going. I think it too is helping my technique of pedaling with clipless and my leg strength.

alison_in_oh
04-22-2005, 07:34 AM
I feel that spinning this winter helped increase my cardio endurance (so my heart doesn't give out before my legs on the climbs, I think that helps me go UP a little faster) and it's trained my cadence so instead of slowly mashing a big gear I'm likely to spin a smaller one and actually travel a little faster with a little less effort. I think it also trained my pedalstroke to be more efficient.

trigurl
04-26-2005, 09:38 AM
I have used the spin cycles all winter and found I have no problems when riding outside now, actually I probably work a little harder in class than I do outside, except when I ride on the parkway, it is very hilly.

To me you do get as good a cardio workout or better depending on the terrain in your area.

RoadRaven
04-26-2005, 02:43 PM
I'm still new to spinning - I find I can ride further when i spin, although I believe deep down I am a masher...
;)

But I am finding I can go further, though not as fast if I attempt to spin more (working on being able to spin consistently at a cadence of 90 at the moment...)

It is certainly increasing my aerobic fitness, and sometimes I come home from a 50 minute "spinning session" more wasted than if I go out and ride for a couple of hours...

trigurl
04-28-2005, 11:33 AM
I haven't read most of the posts on cadence - I thought I didn't have any :D - but while I was riding on my trainer yesterday I counted each time my right foot went down for a minute, it was 95. What is that supposed to mean? I am not very technical can you tell? I just get out there and ride. We have very few flat areas so I am usually going uphill or down. :rolleyes:

CorsairMac
04-28-2005, 12:19 PM
I haven't read most of the posts on cadence - I thought I didn't have any :D - but while I was riding on my trainer yesterday I counted each time my right foot went down for a minute, it was 95. What is that supposed to mean? I am not very technical can you tell? I just get out there and ride. We have very few flat areas so I am usually going uphill or down. :rolleyes:

It means you have very good cadence on the trainer! :-D

trigurl
04-29-2005, 05:04 AM
REALLY? cool :D I rode again last night and counted, still around 95-96, and every now and then I would change up a few gears and ride for a couple of mins at the same cadence. AND I had just ran 4 miles :eek:

THANKS

RoadRaven
04-29-2005, 12:29 PM
*blushes*

I just registered this thread is about spinning sessions on the bike!
DOH!

Sorry, my previous post must have made no sense at all! I was talking about spinning on the road.

Oh well, I haven't done alot on a trainer, but I do find that any work on the trainer definitely imporoves me on the road. Spinning on the trainer is helping me to identify when I bounce, and how to avoid reaching the "bounce" point til a higher cadence...

abuelitodimetu
06-14-2005, 04:25 PM
I'm wondering if those of you taking spin classes have found that it takes you a shorter amount of time to go the same distance (i.e., you're faster)?

Thanks for any and all advice on improving my speed through spin classes and otherwise........

At my sports club we had 2 hr spinning classes during the winter and they were heavily attended by people preparing for spring/summer centuries. My BF and I have been doing twice a week spinning (either 120 min or 90 min) and our speed and aerobic fitness has increased. If it weren't for spinning, I would have never been able to do Wildflower in May.

I must admit that at first I felt weak and could barely make it through the full 2 hours; but after a few sessions, it is now one of my favorite workouts. The key is perseverance and consistency. Also, if you want to see results, do not cheat with the resistance. When you have to do a full turn, do not do a 3/4.

RoadRaven
06-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Hi and welcome to TE - hope you enjoy your stay

I have the most beautiful song here on an album called "Somewhere Near Patterson" by a singer/songwriter called Richard Shindell who has written some of the loveliest and saddest ballads I have heard - its called "Abuelita" and I thought of it when I read your name. Is abuelito a similar meaning to abuelita?

This is a piece from the middle of the song...

You were born
And they pulled you from her arms
And a captain brought you home
To his family
Now it may be
That they have raised you as their own
And that its all you have known of home
All these years
But Soledad was your mothers name
She fell in love with my Juan Luis
They may be gone but I am still your abuelita

MM_QFC!
06-20-2005, 08:17 AM
Abuela is Spanish for Grandmother (Abuelo being the masculine term/Grandfather) and so Abuelita is the endearment, using the diminutive name of Abuelita, similar to Pepito - diminutive of Pepe and José, etc.

I agree...beautiful verse there.
Mary

oroight
07-12-2005, 05:12 AM
MMQFC Spin or indoor cycle classes ( once or twice wk)sure have increased my strength and stamina,cardio etc.l suppose speed (or at least maintaining it)come with that too. l am now totally addicted to cycle class
l commute on a single speed to coax my cadence up. But spin bikes are fixed wheel and l sometimes wonder about my pedalling technique,both indoors vs outside,ie if the technique crosses over well (from fixed to freewheel)??

VenusdeVelo
07-30-2005, 03:58 AM
I love spinning, but am probably biased, I am an instructor (spare time, it's not what I do for a living...).

I agree with others that I did see it improve my endurance and technique considerably when I started spinning (as a student). I noticed a marked improvement and I was also lucky enough to find instructors who rode outdoors (there are plenty that do not) and they were able to use the class for focusing on technique, like pedaling etc. that helped me learn how to focus on that same technique when I got on the road. And altho I have a trainer for my road bike also, the spinner with a routine, esp going to a class, is much more interesting.... :D

Your cadence BTW, 95 ish is a very good cadence, but it depends on your resistance (if you are indoors) or the wind and hill conditions (outdoors). If you are doing 95 with a low resistance factor, you are probably in a sprint and working endurance/cardio (110 is about the max you should go for)...obviously that cadence will go down on a hill (70's) or in a strong wind condition (working on strength). And of course standing on the bike makes a difference. So don't feel bad when your cadence drops, for the right reasons....there are times to do 80 and times to do 100!!

Hope this helps!! Keep spinning....and find the best instructor for you!

Civa
10-13-2005, 06:53 AM
I just stumbled on TE forum from a comment on Bike Forums---YEEHA! A REAL place for women! And spinning too!!! Now I'll never get any work done!

I just wanted to comment on the benefits of spinning. I've been spinning for 3 years now. The first season I bought a hybrid and rode for 2 summers. This year my husband and I treated ourselves to road bikes.

When we started riding this spring I was the strongest rider in our group, coming off a long winter of spinning. I drop spinning in the summer for the joys of being outside, but I'm realizing that I lose A LOT when I'm not spinning. Now that I'm again spinning I can see that my outdoor riding is improving too----I'm feeling much stronger on the hills and my cardio is feeling better---this despite riding 1800 miles this season.

We have a great spin program, do a lot of training work that I just don't get when I'm out riding and I'm so happy to be back! Just sad that our outdoor biking season is slowly drawing to a close...

CorsairMac
10-13-2005, 11:32 AM
Welcome to the board Civa! If you get a chance there's a thread under open titled "getting to know you".......gives you a chance to meet us and - if so inclinced - tell us something about you. and work??.....isn't that what my job is for??.....to give me the time I need to read the TE board without cutting into my ride time?? ;)

kiwi girl
10-13-2005, 12:48 PM
I think spinning has improved my cadence (although the new road bike might be helping too :)