PDA

View Full Version : Northeastern Centuries

spazzdog
04-21-2005, 09:35 AM
List them here...

Any upcoming centuries in your neck of the woods?
Give us the name and date.

If you've done it and liked it. Tell us all about it?

If you've done it and hated it. Tell us about it?

spazz (trying to help with the organizing :D )

spazzdog
04-21-2005, 09:36 AM
On August 27, 2005 North Shore Cyclists will sponsor their annual Blazing Saddles Century... I've done this one and it was pretty decent. Relatively flat, if memory serves. T-shirt was a crack-up

Rider limit = 500

See info at http://www.nscyc.org/century.htm

Surlygirl
04-27-2005, 07:01 AM
Here's one for you.
The Kings tour of the Quabbin. There are also other centuries listed for 2005.
www.sevenhillswheelman.org.centuries

There is also the Flattest Century in the East in September but you have to register now since it fills up fast.
www.nbwclub.org

DeniseGoldberg
04-27-2005, 07:51 AM
I had already posted this elsewhere, but in the interest of keeping Northeast centuries in one place (thanks Spazz!) I'll add it here too.

The Granite State Wheelmen have an awesome century the weekend of September 24th & 25th. It runs along the New Hampshire & Maine coast, and it's interesting in that you can sign up for Saturday, Sunday, or both. (The same rides are offered both days.) The other thing that I really like about it is that there aren't mass start times. You can start the ride at anytime - I think after 7 in the morning - as long as you are done by 5. I wasn't able to ride this one last year, but I have done it a couple of times, and I think I'll ride it this year too.

If you're interested, the information page (and link to registration) can be found at http://www.granitestatewheelmen.org/SCC/SCC-HomePage.htm.

mainerider
08-13-2005, 03:16 AM
Our bike club has its annual century on Saturday, 9/10/05. We leave from Cape Able Bike Shop in Kennebunkport, ME at 7 am. There is no sign up, no fees. We will have people sign in so we can keep track of who is on the road.

The ride goes from Kennebunkport to Wolfeboro (Lake Winnepausakee (sp??) and then returns. There is a store at the 25 mile and 75 mile point and places in Wolfeboro (mile 50) to get food for lunch. We have one support van that will assist riders but everyone needs to be fairly self-sufficient by carrying extra tubes, cell phone, money.

There are some decent hills coming and going.

There is a map posted on the club's web site www.mainecoastcycling.com and a cue sheet will be available on the morning of the ride.

Maureen

fasteryet
08-20-2005, 07:15 PM
Denise, Spazz, and anyone else:
Do you know which day(or both) you will be riding the seacoast ride?
I am thinking about coming up for it, and would love to finally meet all or any of you.

DeniseGoldberg
08-21-2005, 02:52 AM
Denise, Spazz, and anyone else:
Do you know which day(or both) you will be riding the seacoast ride?
I am thinking about coming up for it, and would love to finally meet all or any of you.

I'm registered for Sunday - hopefully I'll be recovered from my (almost) 2-week September tour around Prince Edward Island by then (I'll be getting home on Wednesday of that week) and be ready to ride! The seacoast in that area is gorgeous, and unlike many other states (Massachusetts in particular), the road in New Hampshire pretty much sticks to the shore. In fact I rode there yesterday - you can see some photos from my very misty foggy ride (yes, I know, I can't believe I rode in that wet!) at http://denise.smugmug.com/gallery/525582. The first page of photos in that gallery are from a ride I did in May, the rest are from yesterday. (And just to show you that the Seacoast Century can have good weather, there are some photos from that century in 2002 on this page (http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/page/?o=ax&page_id=3225&v=j) in one of my biking journals. I'm hoping that doing the ride this year will help me to remember the route in southern Maine so I can wander up there more without a map - the New Hampshire coast is easy since the road parallels it, but I find that I still can use a map (or cue sheets) for Maine!

The Saturday ride is already full, so if you're going to ride, the only choice you have right now is Sunday. I suspect the ride will fill up too, so you should probably make a decision soon! Registration is at http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1215205.

Let me know if you're planning to come up for the ride. It would definitely be fun to meet.

Of course I have to warn you that if it is a bad weather day it's likely that I won't ride...

--- Denise

fasteryet
08-22-2005, 06:45 AM
Thanks, Denise. I have vacation that week, so may be away, but it looks like I'll have to decide soon. I'll let you know, so we can can meet up.

maryellen
08-23-2005, 05:05 PM
Last year I did the North Fork Century (flat--N fork of Long Island) and the Golden Apple (hilly in Westchester). I hope to do both of them again this year--August 28 and Sept 25, 2005 respectively.

There are several others in the area, but I haven't done them as I always am out of town on vacation for a few weekends in Sept.

Wendy
08-24-2005, 09:31 AM
I should be working at the Golden Apple merchandise table from 8 to 10 a.m. Stop by and say hi!

maryellen
08-25-2005, 02:42 AM
will do Wendy, I remember making a few purchases at the merchandise table last year--tho at the end of the ride. WCC seems like a great club.

Surlygirl
09-13-2005, 07:08 AM
The Major Taylor century is Oct 2 with rides through the Blackstone Valley (my stomping grounds) which include 25, 62 and 100 mile options through Mass., RI, and Conn. Lots of hills girls, :( but also very pretty. :D www.10thgear.com

ohmyspokes
09-16-2005, 03:40 AM
The Gap Gallop Century - Sunday, Oct. 2, 2005
50 & 100 mile options

I'm handling registration for this event hosted by my club. The ride starts in Bethlehem, PA and winds its way north to the Delaware Water Gap region, then back. The terrain is rolling to hilly, and follows some really nice rural roads through farmland and wooded areas. We have various pasta dishes from a local Italian restaurant after - very yummy, with salad & fresh rolls, too.

http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1201204

natheless
09-16-2005, 11:07 AM
This is not a supported century - but I grew up in this area, and I think it will be a lovely ride.

Mid-Hudson Valley Saturday, October 15th &&

The final tour of the 2005 season holds special meaning for your Tour Coordinator as it travels through the area in which I was born and raised. The ride will occur during peak foliage season in the Hudson Valley, which will only serve to enhance the natural beauty of this region. There are no extended climbs on this tour just 105 miles of scenic highways and byways through the rolling countryside of Dutchess County. While much of the region has been impacted by residential development, this tour will guide you past farm pastures and orchards that still retain their rural character. As an added bonus, a portion of the route will travel along the magnificent Hudson River, offering the cyclist spectacular views of the river and its surroundings along with glimpses of the distant Catskill Mountains. The Mid-Hudson Valley Tour is sure to provide a memorable conclusion to the 2005 Challenge Tour Series.

See "events" http://www.nbwclub.org/

wavedancer
01-23-2006, 07:56 AM
I am planning on doing my first century this year and would appreciate any thoughts on which Northeast century might be best-suited for a first-time rider. Frome these previous posts I am thinking Blazing Saddles, Seacoast, or Flattest Century in the East. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks,
Linda

DeniseGoldberg
01-23-2006, 08:17 AM
I'm not much for large group rides these days, but that said, I do like the Seacoast Century. It covers some beautiful territory (that I ride on my own), but it also has a unique start. Instead of a mass start, you can start whenever you want after the start time, with the requirement that you are done by 5pm. You still won't be alone out there, it just means that hundreds of people aren't clumped together. Also - if they keep the current format, you can register for Saturday, Sunday or both. Registering for both days isn't twice the cost, and it can give you the option of choosing the better weather day to ride. Unless, of course, you want to ride twice!

--- Denise