PDA

View Full Version : Ride on the 16th?

7rider
08-08-2008, 04:22 AM
Hey, Ladies.
DH is heading up to NY next weekend for a little R&R with the sibs.
I'm holding down the fort in MD. I'm all by my lonesome! :eek:;)
Anyone up for a ride on Saturday the 16th?
What's your pleasure? Road? Off-road?
Casual? Moderate?
I'm tossing around the idea of a loop around Rosaryville or Schaeffer, but I'd be up for a jaunt through Rock Creek Park or Howard County - or (gasp!) someplace new (let's save the Peach Tree Loop for fall!).
Anyone? Anyone?
WWM? (who's with me?)

divingbiker
08-08-2008, 05:09 AM
Hey, Ladies.
DH is heading up to NY next weekend for a little R&R with the sibs.
I'm holding down the fort in MD. I'm all by my lonesome! :eek:;)
Anyone up for a ride on Saturday the 16th?
What's your pleasure? Road? Off-road?
Casual? Moderate?
I'm tossing around the idea of a loop around Rosaryville or Schaeffer, but I'd be up for a jaunt through Rock Creek Park or Howard County - or (gasp!) someplace new (let's save the Peach Tree Loop for fall!).
Anyone? Anyone?
WWM? (who's with me?)

I'd be up for Rosaryville, or how about a multi-sport day?

I'm thinking let's check out the mountain bike trail at Black Hill, then paddle for a few hours. Maybe a picnic lunch in between.

I talked to a guy at Black Hill last weekend, and the bike trail starts right by the parking area at the boat launch. If you do all parts of it, it's about 10 miles but it's not a loop. He said it's easier than Rosaryville.

7rider
08-08-2008, 05:13 AM
Oooooo....
Multisport sounds fun! That's a great idea!
And, folks...I have a second kayak to share.
First to call dibs on it, and joins us for some easy off-road adventure, gets it for the day.

HillSlugger
08-08-2008, 05:15 AM
I'll be heading up to North East, MD for a Sunday triathlon.

Kalidurga
08-08-2008, 07:48 AM
Oooh, I keep forgetting there's an mtb trail at Black Hill! I may be out of town next weekend, but the boss hasn't decided yet whether we're leaving for NY on Friday evening or Sunday afternoon. If I'm here that Saturday, I'll second the vote for a Black Hill multi-sport adventure.

Kalidurga
08-08-2008, 07:55 AM
I'll be heading up to North East, MD for a Sunday triathlon.

Totally random, but I have to chuckle as I pass the exit for North East every time I drive up to Philly. Just imagine the Abbot 'n' Costello moments when telling folks you live there...

"So, where do you live?"

"North East, Md"

"Where in northeast Md?"

"In NORTH EAST, Md"

"But where in northeast Md?"

Etc. A friend of mine grew up nearby and said that this kind of thing actually happens :D

HillSlugger
08-08-2008, 08:34 AM
I've imagined much the same thing.

Kalidurga
08-11-2008, 07:32 AM
Well, it turns out that I'm going to be in NY on Saturday for work. If you ladies ride at Black Hill, please let me know what the trail is like!

Zen
08-11-2008, 08:06 AM
I'm thinking let's check out the mountain bike trail at Black Hill, then paddle for a few hours. Maybe a picnic lunch in between.

Sounds good to me.
DB, what bike do you ride there?

I'll take that yak but I have no PFD, obviously.

divingbiker
08-11-2008, 08:18 AM
DB, what bike do you ride there?

I ride my mountain bike. Glad you can join us!

7rider
08-11-2008, 08:36 AM
Great!
I'll have everything you'll need, Zen - boat, paddle, and pfd.
Just bring shoes that can get wet and something to drink.
Black Hills is very flat, calm water - nothing like the river yesterday.

I'll have my mtb, too. I'm taking the 'cross tires off the Buzz this week, and I'm going to start commuting on it so I can get used to it for the C&O trip.

So...what time? And ride first or paddle first?

Zen
08-11-2008, 08:51 AM
What bike should I use?

I have the heavy Haro or the bike I got from F8th.

If I drive the Mothership I can bring both and decide then?

I can't clip in on either.

7rider
08-12-2008, 04:30 AM
Is F8th's bike the one you rode on the tow path that time?
I'm not sure what the trails are like at Black HIlls. I would think they're fire roads and double track. Maybe more hilly than the canal, but no more technical.

Kalidurga
08-12-2008, 05:56 AM
Is F8th's bike the one you rode on the tow path that time?
I'm not sure what the trails are like at Black HIlls. I would think they're fire roads and double track. Maybe more hilly than the canal, but no more technical.

I used to hike in the main area of Black Hill Park (before the populations of G'burg and Germ'town exploded and the park became waaay too crowded) and the trails then were mostly single track. There was a small amount of fire road/double track in between the wooded sections, but once you got into the woods it was back to singletrack. So I would guess that it'll actually be similar to Rosaryville with some double track mixed in. I'm really curious now which trail(s) in the main park they've opened up for mtb use, because as of this past winter the ones on the other side of the lake were still for foot/equestrian use only.

Kalidurga
08-12-2008, 06:15 AM
Curiosity got to me (that, and being peeved that I'm gonna miss this pedal/paddle and want to experience it vicariously), so I googled and found some descriptions of the trails at Black Hill: Trimbleoutdoors.com (http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/viewTrip.aspx?tripId=9563) and singletracks.com (http://www.singletracks.com/php/trail.php?id=1872).

7rider
08-12-2008, 07:52 AM
I checked with the peeps at MORE about what to expect on those trails.

They said that trail-wise, Black Hills is just a step up technically from places like Schaeffer. The hills are a little bigger and the trails a little rockier, but at the same time there are far fewer log piles (if any), so a "beginner" can be a lot less intimidated. (Also, less traffic and not all the hammerheads.) You are never far from a bailout point onto pavement. They said it is easier on a beginner than Schaeffer, but like any mtb ride, depends on your sense of adventure and attitude.

Summary: more beginner friendly for technical skills, but can be more demanding fitness/cardio (than Schaeffer).
Also...they all recommended a mtb, vs. a hybrid/comfort bike.

Kalidurga
08-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Did any of them mention how it would compare to Rosaryville? That's my only basis for comparison.

7rider
08-12-2008, 08:13 AM
Did any of them mention how it would compare to Rosaryville? That's my only basis for comparison.

Schaeffer is a bit more advanced than Rosey - A bit rockier, with more log-crossings.
Black Hills seems to be a middle ground b/t Rosey and Schaeffer.

Kalidurga
08-12-2008, 08:36 AM
Well, you'll have to let me know for sure after this weekend :D

divingbiker
08-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Pictures of today's paddle/ride are here (http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showpost.php?p=352133&postcount=14).

Zen
08-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Hey those are some good shots!
I'm really impressed that you can actually see the white head of the eagle.

I dropped my camera off at Target, we'll see...:rolleyes:

divingbiker
08-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Hey those are some good shots!

Just call me Betty June!

Zen
08-16-2008, 04:57 PM
I've got to remember that :D

7rider
08-16-2008, 05:09 PM
I missed much of that story....dang my dad's ears!!! :mad:

But they are good pix. Thanks for posting them so fast!
Oh...and the bird you missed that we saw...a kingfisher (http://photos.somd.com/showphoto.php/photo/5216).