PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Driver Tries to Kill My Teammate

AuntieK
08-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Last weekend at a local bike race:

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_10115861

I didn't happen to be participating in this event, but those involved are on my team. This one hit so close to home for me that it almost scares me to ride anymore. :mad:

coyote
08-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Jeez, its really scary when stuff like that happens by accident but to think that there are freaks out there trying to run us over.......

(shudder)

mimitabby
08-06-2008, 03:52 PM
wow. what a story!
at least the police didn't take his side!

AuntieK
08-06-2008, 03:52 PM
I should have included in the initial post: ONLY READ THE COMMENTS ON THE ARTICLE IF YOU WANT TO BE DISTURBED by the people who regard human life so lightly! :eek:

Here's a photo of the bike damage. He really is lucky not to have been seriously injured.

Eden
08-06-2008, 04:01 PM
The same type come out and comment whenever there is a cycling related story in our papers. People feel very free to act like scum of the universe when they are anonymous....

Geonz
08-06-2008, 07:10 PM
It's sickmaking :(

I'd want to publish the car & license number so everybody knows... 'cause alas, the system's not going to treat him like they should.

NJBikeGal
08-08-2008, 04:32 AM
wow. what a story!
at least the police didn't take his side!

I agree, it's good that they didn't take the driver's side. However, I love the quote from the police officer in the article that the accident "could have been really severe." Ummm...the guy drove someone off a road and broke their bike into dozens of pieces. "Could have been?" It WAS severe. Just because a human being wasn't badly hurt does not make this man's actions any less hideous. People like this guy make me sick to my stomach. And to think that he is not going to be charged with any sort of physical endangerment. sick.

mimitabby
08-08-2008, 06:22 AM
tell your buddy to get a bike lawyer! I'm sure they have them in NJ!!

smilingcat
08-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Is it just me? It seems like there are more road-rage incidents today than even just a year ago.

I just don't understand the hate filled angry people. This, the Mandaville Canyon, the traffic circle in Seattle just to name a few, it makes me wonder about our collective psyche of our society.

Maybe its a very tiny segment of our society where they can not differentiate reality from violent movie and video games and have become so detached from reality or so desensitized from vilolence that they are capable such aggression.

And I was lucky yesterday with road-rage filled SUV driver who deliberately tried to ram her huge SUV into my car on 405 Fwy. She missed. whew!

NbyNW
08-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Maybe its a very tiny segment of our society where they can not differentiate reality from violent movie and video games and have become so detached from reality or so desensitized from vilolence that they are capable such aggression.

That is a terrifying thought.

RoadRaven
08-12-2008, 10:41 AM
Just read this.
So scary... my man is out on the road for 3-4 hours 5-6 days a week... I hate knowing there are people like this who just do not think "normally".

Cat, I'm with Jocelyn... that is a truly chilling thought.

LBTC
08-12-2008, 11:35 AM
OMG I just saw the photo of the destroyed bike! Sickmaking is an excellent word for it. Yikes!

Sending butterflies to all the cyclists to protect them from the crazies, and to all the crazies so they will calm down and not think of cyclists as targets!

H&B
~T~

badgercat
08-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Here's a photo of the bike damage. He really is lucky not to have been seriously injured.

This is kind of a disturbing thought, but I think what got to me the most about that picture was not the smashed bike, but the smashed bottle and the water around it, and how easily that could have been blood instead. *shudder*

Thank goodness he was able to unclip and get out of the way...