PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Struggles with saddles...

arim
08-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Ok, so I bought my first new road bike in 15 years and I love it (carbon, woo-hoo), but the saddle wasn't all that (too cushy and pinched up front after 10 miles or so), so I decided to look for a new one. Little did I know how hard it would be!!!

I've tried the Terry Butterfly (hurt the girly bits up front), Specialized Lithia in 155 (major sit bone pain), Lithia in 143 (hurt the girly bits again), and now a borrowed Specialized Jett 143 (too firm on the sit bones again!!, girly bits ok--the whole saddle was great for the first 7-10 miles :confused:).

Where the heck do I go from here?? I got a reco from a bike shop guy who swears by the Specialized Ruby Gel for gals (he hasn't had as much luck with the Terry and thinks the Lithia is a torture device), and I just ordered a Falcon X and a Liberator Race Gel from Terry (thank goodness they have a 30 day return policy). Lots of folks seem to like the SSM Aspide Glamour on this site but I've never seen it in a local shop.

Thoughts? Ideas? I'm at a bit of a loss at this point...feeling a whole lot like Goldilocks!! Any help is MUCH appreciated!

--AM

P.S. I had each saddle "fit" by a pro at local bike shop, so no, it's not the saddle position...

mimitabby
08-05-2008, 06:49 PM
welcome to TE, did you find all the other saddle threads?

I hear that gel is evil. you probably won't like it.

Chicken Little
08-05-2008, 06:52 PM
I went through the saddle thing, too. Nobody here has mentioned this saddle, but I am loving this Terry saddle:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?allwords=terry%20saddle&searchdescriptions=True

Scoff if you must, but it is working great for me.

rij73
08-05-2008, 07:26 PM
I love my Ruby gel. After using the Terry Butterfly for a year, it must have softened up because I started having major "girly bits" pain. So, I got a Ruby gel.

It is a very firm saddle (don't let the 'gel' word fool you). I had MAJOR sit bone pain the first couple of rides, but it went away, and now I'm very happy. When transitioning to a firmer saddle, it does take a few rides to break in the saddle and your sit bones. So, don't give up right away if the only problem is sit bone pain.

That said, saddles are a very individual thing... Be patient, and you will find the right one.

KnottedYet
08-05-2008, 07:27 PM
What is your sitbone measurement?

If you tell us, I bet you'll find a few folks with the same measurement and the same preferences (not too cushy, doesn't pinch, etc) and they can recommend the saddles they ride.

pardes
08-05-2008, 07:48 PM
I had terrible saddle problems until I found this saddle. Instant success. Now I don't even think about the saddle. It's about an inch longer than many saddle and that inch has made all the difference.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=14746&item=50-1448&slitrk=search&slisearch=true

OakLeaf
08-06-2008, 03:33 AM
I don't know, it sounds to me like your sitbones just haven't toughened up enough yet. If the only pain you were having on the 155 Lithia was in the sitbones - where all the other narrower saddles chafed your girly parts - then it really sounds like it's probably a good saddle for you. Some sitbone pain is to be expected for a new or returning rider.

How many miles did you put on the Lithia before it got painful? Did it just feel like bruising? How long before the pain went away?

When you say it's your first new road bike in 15 years, have you been riding another type of bike all along? If so, what kind of saddle is on your other bike(s)? Or have you not been riding at all up until now? Was that 7-10 miles a very short ride for you, or a long one, or average?

ETA: you may still need to tweak saddle tilt even after a very good professional fitting. For one thing, a tilt difference of just one degree can make a huge difference in comfort. (And if you don't have a micro-adjustable seatpost, you can shim it with a little piece of metal cut from a beer can.) For another thing... well, they don't measure you THERE. ;)

mayanorange
08-06-2008, 06:50 AM
If the lithia is bothering your sitbones I would not go to the Ruby or SSM Aspide- they're both very firm. I can't contribute another recommendation tho- the Lithia was fine for my tush, but the cutout was a nightmare. I have a Selle SMP TRK on order to try- I'm still searching too.

Norse
08-06-2008, 07:39 AM
I am still in search of the just right saddle as well. I currently have a Selle San Marco Glamour Aspide Arrowhead on order. I need a cutout and the Arrowhead model has one.

On my bike now is the Specialized Jett 155, which replaced a Terry Race Liberator which was ok for the first 6 months of use but it apparently softened up and started giving me horrid chafing after the first 50 miles. I really want the Jett to work - it looks awesome on my bike! But, I have about 500 miles on it now and I get a bit of chafing past day 2 of a several day event ride AND, it just seems too darned hard on the sit bones after about mile 40. One of the guys I sometimes ride with has the male version of the Jett and he said he has sit bone issues with it as well. I am keeping my fingers crossed for the SSM. If that does not work, I may try the Selle An-Atomica.

Grog
08-06-2008, 09:23 AM
I would also say that if you have sitbone pain you're headed in the right direction. It means that you are actually sitting on them. It is largely a matter of toughening them up. I don't know how much you had been riding previously, though. If you had been going for hours without sitbone pain on your previous bike/saddle, it's a different story. But it's normal to feel some discomfort at first if you are not accustomed to cycling long-distance...

Even my office chair gets uncomfortable after a few hours!

arim
08-06-2008, 09:34 AM
What is your sitbone measurement?

If you tell us, I bet you'll find a few folks with the same measurement and the same preferences (not too cushy, doesn't pinch, etc) and they can recommend the saddles they ride.

When measured for the Specialized saddles, I'm between a 143 and 155. They initially recommended the 155 Lithia in case I spend a lot of time in the hoods.

arim
08-06-2008, 09:46 AM
I don't know, it sounds to me like your sitbones just haven't toughened up enough yet. If the only pain you were having on the 155 Lithia was in the sitbones - where all the other narrower saddles chafed your girly parts - then it really sounds like it's probably a good saddle for you. Some sitbone pain is to be expected for a new or returning rider.

How many miles did you put on the Lithia before it got painful? Did it just feel like bruising? How long before the pain went away?

When you say it's your first new road bike in 15 years, have you been riding another type of bike all along? If so, what kind of saddle is on your other bike(s)? Or have you not been riding at all up until now? Was that 7-10 miles a very short ride for you, or a long one, or average?

ETA: you may still need to tweak saddle tilt even after a very good professional fitting. For one thing, a tilt difference of just one degree can make a huge difference in comfort. (And if you don't have a micro-adjustable seatpost, you can shim it with a little piece of metal cut from a beer can.) For another thing... well, they don't measure you THERE. ;)

I've been riding for a while now. The BIKE is new, but I'm not :). Been riding for 6 years (to get back into shape after my 3 children), and spinning in the winter. My 15-year old entry level Trek road bike never fit me right, which is why I bought the new one. The old bike had a stock Serfas seat (don't ask me which--I have no idea), which worked fine--never an issue, but it was getting old. The new bike came with a stock Bontrager seat (a Trek also), which was cushy on the sit bones, but pinched in the front after a while. I NEVER had sit bone pain on any of my bike seats, which is why I was so surprised when I tried the new ones.

The Lithia 155 gave me sit bone pain after about 7-10 miles, which is a short ride for me. I tried riding it 3 times, for total milage of about 60 miles before I gave up on it. Pain went away as soon as I stopped riding.

Thanks for the tip on the tilt! The seat fitting put a level on the seat to make sure it was straight, but maybe just a little tilt down would have helped?

I'm so bummed about the Jett--I really wanted it to work. Just rode it in a triathlon this weekend, hammering the whole way (the bike is by far my best event), and hated the darn thing as soon as I hit around 7 miles. I move around on the bike, in the drops, out of the saddle, so it wasn't about me being lazy and just SITTING there!

arim
08-06-2008, 10:05 AM
welcome to TE, did you find all the other saddle threads?

I hear that gel is evil. you probably won't like it.

I found the other saddle threads--thanks. I don't know if I'm more confused or better off!! At least I have more information to work with...

Which gel is the evil one? The Ruby Gel or the Liberator Race Gel?

OakLeaf
08-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Since the Serfas saddle worked for you, measure it in as many dimensions as you can, using both a ruler and calipers, and compare it against other seats at the LBS and/or ask members here to post the measurements of their saddles. That should give you a good idea anyhow. Someplace on here I posted the measurements of my 155 Lithia, but you've already tried that one.

Here (http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showpost.php?p=317859&postcount=55) it is, for reference of what I measured.

ETA: maybe a firmer Bontrager seat might work for you, too? According to their website they have an Unconditional Comfort Guarantee.

mimitabby
08-06-2008, 01:29 PM
more than one person has gotten boil-like problems with gel seats as well as the standard discomfort. but i stand corrected, not all seats called gel are bad.
I ride a leather brooks saddle and i don't waste any time with crotch soreness issues !

Flur
08-06-2008, 07:41 PM
When measured for the Specialized saddles, I'm between a 143 and 155. They initially recommended the 155 Lithia in case I spend a lot of time in the hoods.

My understanding of saddle-fitting is that you can't really be between sizes - if your sitbone measurement is wider than what will fit on a 143 saddle, then you really need to be on a 155 saddle. So the girly-bits pain that you're having may be b/c the narrower saddles don't support your sit bones properly, leaving all your weight on the soft tissue. This is also why you're not having sit bones pain on the narrower saddles - your sit bones are not really ON the saddle! You should try a saddle in the 155 measurement with a bit more padding and see how that pans out. I ride a Specialized Ariel (it's a mountain saddle but looks great on my road bike). It's definitely got more padding than the Lithia and comes in 155. That might be a good option for you to try.

arim
08-08-2008, 04:11 AM
My understanding of saddle-fitting is that you can't really be between sizes - if your sitbone measurement is wider than what will fit on a 143 saddle, then you really need to be on a 155 saddle. So the girly-bits pain that you're having may be b/c the narrower saddles don't support your sit bones properly, leaving all your weight on the soft tissue. This is also why you're not having sit bones pain on the narrower saddles - your sit bones are not really ON the saddle! You should try a saddle in the 155 measurement with a bit more padding and see how that pans out. I ride a Specialized Ariel (it's a mountain saddle but looks great on my road bike). It's definitely got more padding than the Lithia and comes in 155. That might be a good option for you to try.

I need to clarify--my apologies. I measure about 135. According to Specialized system, that puts me between a 145 and a 155, depending on my riding position (more time in the hoods and upright, I should be on a 155, more time at a 45 degree angle or less, the 143 is better). I got sit bone pain on the Jett 143, but I was told by my bike shop that they stopped carrying it because too many complained it was too firm, so that may be the reason there...

I tried a Fizik Vitesse in the bike shop yesterday and WHOH--I finally found a seat that was comfy on my tush! Problem was that the Vitesse does not have a cutout, and apparently from the pain I experienced up front on the trainer (RIGHT AWAY), I need a cutout. Its a Tri seat, and was a little long for my purposes anyway, but it made me very interested in Fizik seats.

Anyway, I'm presently trying the Terry Falcon X (Terry has a great 30 day love it or return it guarantee). It measures about a 152, and when I switched from the Vitesse to the Falcon, my girly bits thanked me. It feels a little stiff near the hind end--it might be too wide, but we'll see how I do on the road. I just don't like the way it looks on my bike.

Thanks so much to you all--all your advice is fantastic! I'll keep you posted on my trials. Keep your ideas coming! I could use all the help I can get!

And, thanks for the tip on the Ariel!

Tuckervill
08-08-2008, 04:55 AM
Well, you can't see the saddle when your butt is on it!

Function over form, I say!

Karen

Rosie road
10-26-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm on my fourth saddle in 6 months and still not happy with any of them. Most recently I used the terry gelissimo which started out okay but then really chafed my inner thighs after it broke in. Bike shop says I wasn't sitting back far enough and needed to move it forward but it still felt too wide. I ride about 50-80 miles a week in 2-3 rides on a road bike. Try to make one of those at least 35-50 miles if I can find the time. I'm thinking of trying the Fizik Vitesse LIFE Saddle that REI carries. Anyone have luck with this saddle? Or others that are long ride oriented for someone that seems to have uber sensitivity?

postiechic
10-26-2008, 07:07 PM
nightmare. I have a Selle SMP TRK on order to try
I have 2 of these saddles. First I put the men's one on my road bike and found it to be the most comfy saddle I've tried. So after quite a few months I put the women's one on my hybrid. Thoroughly recommeded and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Rosie road
10-27-2008, 02:59 AM
Thanks for that recommendation. I think I will try one. Do you notice a big difference between the men's and women's?

I'm jealous of your location as I know you are just coming in to your good riding season and we are bundling up and racing the daylight to continue ours. I also just order the best headlights from DiNotte Lighting. Very expensive but super small, light and powerful. Small company and very customer friendly.

postiechic
10-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Now that I'm used to riding on both the men's and the women's, I don't notice any difference. If I were to swap em around maybe I would. The reason I got the men's for the roadie is that the women's was wider than anything I've had before and I didn't think it would work on a road bike. Even the men's one is quite wide for a bloke's saddle. The reason I went for the women's one for the hybrid is that the extra width in the more upright postion is pretty ok - for me anyway. I like the large cutout and the way the nose angles downwards.

The seasons seem to come and go so fast for all of us. Before long I'll be reading about you guys in the northern hemisphere getting ready for summer again. Ahhh....summer......daylight savings......mmmm

OakLeaf
10-28-2008, 05:30 AM
I'm on my fourth saddle in 6 months and still not happy with any of them. Most recently I used the terry gelissimo which started out okay but then really chafed my inner thighs after it broke in. Bike shop says I wasn't sitting back far enough and needed to move it forward but it still felt too wide. I ride about 50-80 miles a week in 2-3 rides on a road bike. Try to make one of those at least 35-50 miles if I can find the time. I'm thinking of trying the Fizik Vitesse LIFE Saddle that REI carries. Anyone have luck with this saddle? Or others that are long ride oriented for someone that seems to have uber sensitivity?

Moving the saddle forward rarely changes your position on the saddle - it just changes the position of your knees over your pedals. If your knees were happy before, then moving the saddle isn't the way to go. You may be able to move yourself back on the saddle by using a shorter and/or steeper stem.

Inner thigh chafing plus being forced too far forward on the saddle sounds to me like your saddle is pear-shaped and you need a more T-shaped one. I was definitely having the problem of my Terry Liberator Race forcing me forward because of its pear shape.

erichi
10-28-2008, 10:19 AM
My issue with gel saddles is they make me sweat alot. I recently bought a new bike for commuting to work which had a gel saddle on it. I thought cool something softer and won't need to wear padded shorts. It was comfortable but it made my crotch so sweaty, where I already have temp control issues. (sorry if too much info) And I felt it was a bit wide (see below)

I'm so glad to hear mention of irritation in the inner thigh/groin area. I've been reading the posts regarding saddle recommendations, since I too am still trying to find the right one, and the issues people list are always with the sit bones. Mine never hurt, my issue is in the groin (girly bits to thigh).

I'm trying out a terry butterfly which I don't need to wear padded shorts with since only a 7 mile ride to work but definitely does not work for longer rides even with shorts. I think the nose is too wide and too thick (I have cushy inner thighs). I also tried a specialized (don't have model on hand) but it's on the too narrow side. I have a san marco that I love but always gotta use shorts with that one but have it on a separate road bike.

I think the tips on a less pear more T shaped is a good tip that I never realized and where I need to start trying to move towards, the Terry is definitely pear.

Rosie road
10-28-2008, 10:16 PM
I hadn't heard that notion of t vs. pear but it makes sense. Any specific recommendations?

OakLeaf
10-29-2008, 03:20 AM
I'm riding a Specialized Lithia (http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=42067&eid=348) saddle now which is pretty T-shaped. It comes in three widths (130, 143, 155) like a lot of their women's saddles.

They have several different saddles that are pretty much the same shape, but different levels of firmness. The Lithia is a little squishy for me and I think I'm going to a Jett next time. If you've read on here about people complaining about the seams on the Jett, I guess Specialized was listening, because the '09 Jett has a lot fewer seams.

For an even wider T-shaped saddle, there are a lot of people here who just adore their Brooks saddles, and if you need a cut-out there's the Selle An-Atomica which is basically a Brooks with a cut-out.

VeloVT
10-29-2008, 08:17 AM
I tried a Fizik Vitesse in the bike shop yesterday and WHOH--I finally found a seat that was comfy on my tush! Problem was that the Vitesse does not have a cutout, and apparently from the pain I experienced up front on the trainer (RIGHT AWAY), I need a cutout. Its a Tri seat, and was a little long for my purposes anyway, but it made me very interested in Fizik seats.

You probably tried this model, right?
http://www.ebikestop.com/fizik_vitesse_tri_black_anthracite_kium_rail-SA1826.php

It is a tri saddle... But Fizik makes a non-tri version of the Vitesse, and the nose shape is very different. I haven't seen the tri version, but I would guess that the nose is squishier than the regular version too. The Vitesse hp is quite firm. I think it's probably shorter as well (it's certainly not a long saddle).

Here's the regular version:
http://www.glorycycles.com/fivihpsabl.html

Not to sell you on the Vitesse, it may be completely the wrong saddle for you, but if you liked the rear of the tri saddle, it might be worth trying the regular version -- you may find that the firmer, lower-profile nose is more comfortable.

Good luck!

Rosie road
11-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Finally got the Fizik Vitesse LIFE and I've done three 30-40 mile rides so far and it is really nice. By far the most comfortable I've tried yet. It doesn't have a cut out, true, and I thought I would really notice that but it is engineered with soft memory foam OVER a cut out so it actually softens as you ride it kind of forming to your shape. The sit bone area is really comfortable. I think this is as good as I can get for now. Thanks to those who sent advice. I've also found some fantastic headlamps== expensive but super well designed and unbelievably strong for their size and weight--- made by DiNotte Lighting who are really nice to deal with. Kind of essential item as the light disappears so early now in New England. Definitely buys some time without that mad lung burning race with the sunset!