PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the hats?

Miranda
08-04-2008, 03:52 AM
OK, this is a mindless :rolleyes: fashion question I see in spin class (and with runners sometimes), but I just don't get it:confused:...

Why do people wear baseball caps in spin class?

Some of the instructors and participants do this at my gym. At first, I thought maybe it was a non-cyclist spinning only thing. But, one of the instructors is a tri-ath also. Now, for outside running I can see the hat would shade your face from the sun, so ok... that I get.

I can see the purpose of the hat maybe keeping your hair out of your face, but that's about it. I use a combo of hair barrets and ponytail holders for that. I look like I'm 6 years old, but so what. The room is dark, and we are working it from the neck down anyway.

My head literally looks like someone has poured a bucket of water on me when I'm done spinning. I would think the hat would just add to the heat. This would be one of the reasons why I paid extra for my Giro Pneumo helmet... more ventilation, less head heat.

Adding clothing layers on your head in a hot environment though???... what gives?

Miranda

bmccasland
08-04-2008, 03:56 AM
Miranda - can't answer your fashion question.

BUT yesterday while riding the levee, I saw a lady on a road bike (there are all classes of riders on the levee) wearing a straw brimmed ballcap thing, under her bike helmet. I imagine it's to keep the sun out of her eyes, but my helmet came with a little visor, and riding a road bike, my head is down enough that I don't get sun in my eyes. Besides that's what the spiffy biker-shades are for. :cool:

Straw hat under the helmet looked really silly.

makbike
08-04-2008, 04:14 AM
The hat acts as a sweat band.

KnottedYet
08-04-2008, 04:49 AM
+1
what Makbike said.

Trek420
08-04-2008, 05:07 AM
Shouldn't they wear cycle beanies? :confused:

www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=31874

Grits
08-04-2008, 03:15 PM
+1 on the sweatband

Also, I have short, layered, wavy hair that looks like crap when I get up. I very often just put on a baseball cap before I go do a spin class because I want to cover it up. I pull my hair in a little bitty ponytail through the little open space in the back. It looks lovely.

Grits

mimitabby
08-04-2008, 03:33 PM
my DH wears a little cap often because it keeps his unruly hair under control. And when he takes it off, it looks like he combed his hair!!!

Zen
08-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Why do people wear baseball caps in spin class?

Because they're so hip and happnin' ;)
They also pretend they're riding a fixie:p

Dogmama
08-05-2008, 03:21 AM

Same reason people wear sunglasses in the gym.

rachael24
08-05-2008, 06:19 AM
HAHA Sunglasses and a hat...Thats what Im wearing to spin class tomorrow!!

Resi
08-05-2008, 09:37 AM
I sometimes wear a cycling cap, because the sweat runs into my eyes and this is not pleasant. Ok, you can also wear this sweatgutr deals...

Resi

Miranda
08-07-2008, 05:57 PM
They also pretend they're riding a fixie:p

Zen... I kinda thought, but didn't want to be a smart you know what:rolleyes:. Now I am humbled that they do catch sweat for some folks. That's why I close my eyes. Besides Jonny G.'s intention of mind body connection, it keeps the sweat salt from stinging your eyes if they are closed. Outside my Pneumo is just... well, peeuu:o.

Same reason people wear sunglasses in the gym.

That just cracks me up... our weight room doesn't even have a window in it!

HAHA Sunglasses and a hat...Thats what Im wearing to spin class tomorrow!!

That might work for the ones that like the pitch black room when they attend the teacher's class that likes the lights on. Perhaps they can hand em out at the door. There's a beautiful compromise;).

SadieKate
08-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Hat to keep the sweat out of your eyes? But it's a fact that most heat escapes out of your head so why stifle it? What about trying a headband such as a halo (http://www.roadcycling.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi/4/799)?

My husband converts multiple people every year to its benefits.

jesvetmed
08-08-2008, 09:44 PM
I usually wear a hat to the gym -- then I don't have to do anything with my hair when I get up! :p AND... the sweatband effect is excellent.

julesey
10-22-2008, 09:43 AM
I agree it's a great sweatband...my hair usually looks like a rat's nest in the morning and is way too short for a ponytail, so the hat serves multiple purposes.

Zen
10-22-2008, 11:11 AM

GraysonKelly
12-01-2008, 12:58 PM
I can't speak for anyone else but on my trainer, at the gym, pretty much anywhere I wear a ball cap. I just really like wearing them. My hair is short in back but kind of full around my face and ears. it keeps my hair back and acts as a sweatband. LOL...my hats get washed a lot. On my trainer at home it's usually backwards at the gym it gets switched depending on what I'm doing. Just a thing I guess. If I didn't have to wear a helmet I'd wear my hat when I ride. As it is, when I finish riding I use a towel to dry my hair and put my hat back on. Just like my hat. I'm rarely without one. I've 30 of the buggers and I've worn them all several times.
Gray

redrhodie
12-01-2008, 03:44 PM
If I didn't have to wear a helmet I'd wear my hat when I ride.
Gray

You can wear a cycling hat like this under your helmet: http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodCI_H8081.html

TE also sells one specifically for spinning.

squirrell
12-01-2008, 04:53 PM
That might work for the ones that like the pitch black room when they attend the teacher's class that likes the lights on. Perhaps they can hand em out at the door. There's a beautiful compromise;).

What's with the dark rooms for spinning classes anyway? The 2 I took, they kept the lights out and it was pretty dark--so dark I couldn't see my HRM without having to hit the backlight on it every time. The whole no-lights "undead" feel to it was one of the reasons I'll not be going back to another spin class.

Crankin
12-02-2008, 03:36 AM
Yea, for some reason, people think the darkness helps them "get in the zone." I stopped using my HRM because I was sick of trying to press the light button, pressing something else, and then screwing up all of the functions.
I like to be able to see. Last week I heard someone say that they like the dark because no one can see what they are doing :confused:.
I despise hats. They make me sweaty and hotter. When did wearing a hat inside become a "thing?" I wipe the sweat away with my hand once in awhile and don't think about it.

squirrell
12-02-2008, 05:47 AM
I take a hand towel with me and use that for sweat.

I tried another spin class today--I'm really trying to like these spin classes, honest I am! But {sigh} :(

Same music this lady used last time--and I mean the EXACT SAME! I guess she has the work-out routine down and likes it. But, gessh come on! This time, she got most of the class to sing along with the chorus on the rap song (which contained a mild expletive) while waving "their hands in the air" and shouting. She sets the volume so high that I can't hear what she's saying and have to watch to see what she's doing.

One lady was spinning so fast in way too low a gear and her butt was literally--and I mean literally--bouncing about 6" off the seat!

This time, I did "my own thing" pretty much--stood up when they did but also sat when I wanted--didn't do the push-ups on the bars, etc.

I was semi impressed that the instructor seemed to get through the routine without breaking a sweat--then, I went back in after the class had left to do some spinning on my own (my "Y" will allow you to use the bikes yourself if the room isn't in use) and she had left her bike out, so I jumped on that to use since it was already out. The tension on her bike was set at the lowest level you could get! Now, I'm not saying that she couldn't have reset the tension AFTER the class but hey, you bet I'm thinking it! ;)

anyway--question for those of you who take a lot of these classes or teach them--is it considered "polite" to ask to turn down the volume or not to use certain songs or something? Or should I just chuck the class and say it's not worth the potential heartache to take it? I don't mind working out on my own really and prefer it but thought the class might be a way to meet some other people and stay motivated while working out during winter time.

Dogmama
12-02-2008, 01:49 PM
anyway--question for those of you who take a lot of these classes or teach them--is it considered "polite" to ask to turn down the volume or not to use certain songs or something? Or should I just chuck the class and say it's not worth the potential heartache to take it? I don't mind working out on my own really and prefer it but thought the class might be a way to meet some other people and stay motivated while working out during winter time.

I would talk to the instructor after the class & tell her that you cannot hear her cues because the music is too loud. If it bothers you, it is bothering other people too.

As far as mild expletives, many songs seem to have them. I won't use any songs with blatantly insulting words or songs that repeat an expletive over & over. My type of music doesn't lend itself to those sorts of lyrics.

Dogmama
12-02-2008, 01:59 PM
This time, I did "my own thing" pretty much--stood up when they did but also sat when I wanted--didn't do the push-ups on the bars, etc.

I was semi impressed that the instructor seemed to get through the routine without breaking a sweat--then, I went back in after the class had left to do some spinning on my own (my "Y" will allow you to use the bikes yourself if the room isn't in use) and she had left her bike out, so I jumped on that to use since it was already out. The tension on her bike was set at the lowest level you could get! Now, I'm not saying that she couldn't have reset the tension AFTER the class but hey, you bet I'm thinking it! ;)

I don't know about other cycling instruction, but Johnny G spinning specifically prohibits pushing up on the bars, waving hands around, etc. The risk of injury is too great - and - if you want to do upper body work, there are much better ways to accomplish it.

As far as the instructor not breaking a sweat because her bike tension was low - that's OK. The instructor is there to lead her class in THEIR workout - not HER workout. The caveat is that she needs to keep her cadence to a reasonable level so that the class can participate safely. But, her main focus should be her class. Hopefully she is practicing her spinning profiles separately to insure that the workout flows - that is when she gets her exercise.

HAVING SAID ALL THAT ---

Why not set up your own personal spinning routine? Get your MP3 player, put some music on that you like & grab a bike when you can be alone. Be sure you put warm up & cool down music on & try to vary your workout between sitting, standing, fast & slow cadence, etc. My own spinning profiles are my favorite :D

Miranda
12-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Wow, I can't believe this thread of mine is still going. Partly on things other than hats, but good discussion for spinning. Going to post seperately about that. On the hats...

I *think* I'm officially a Buff convert at this point. I still hate any type of headwear. But, at the Terry 1/2 sale I bought my first Buff. It's way more fabric than I wanted, and I feel like I look stupid in it. However, it really works well.

My spin teacher commented on my head gear. The Terry logo was showing. It's the princess crown print. She likes the Terry brand. Great spin shorts too. So, maybe it doesn't look too bad:rolleyes:. I decided to get the princess print just to be a cynical tiara wearing b*tch lol. If you're gonna do it, might as well be in style darhling lol:p.

Miranda
12-02-2008, 04:31 PM
to some of squirrell's post comments...

MUSIC VOLUME...
I'm certified to teach through Mad Dogg Athletics. The music volume issue is unacceptable. I would say something to the teacher, and/or managment. OK, get this...

When I was trained, our teacher said one of her gyms was sued due to the volume of the music. A member had hearing damage and said it was the spin class music. In the end, they settled out of court. The gym was indeed guilty for the music being way too high above the rating system for decibles.

Through this, I figured out a lil something that was wrong with me. After an ENT and audiologist test/vist, I have permanent hearing damage. I have some high frequency loss. And, what drove me there was ringing in my ears. It never goes away. At night sometimes when it's bad, it keeps me from falling asleep. The technical term is called "tinnitus". It's nerve damage. No cure. I'll hear it for life.

Loud noises, music being included, is a cause. When the class has the music cranked so loud, it makes my tinnitus worse. I said something to the gym. The head group class teacher checked the levels (you can use a device called a sound meter) and the stero has a mark of how high to turn it.

STILL, some teachers break that rule. "Woot hoot, it's fun to crank it up... pedal on!". Yea well, that used to me too:o. Now I'm the stick in the mud like the one wise guy that wears drug store ear plugs. He is the smart one. I have then went on to explain my situation to the teachers, and then they comply. How's that saying go... "it's always fun until someone puts an eye out":rolleyes:. It really sux when that someone is you.

TEACHER TENSION...
Yes, that's true. As the teacher you can not work it like it's your time. I've gotten the teacher's bike before, and there was barely any tension. That's ok:cool:. It always make me want to fall on the floor laughing when people say to me, "wow! that's great you can teach AND get your workout at the same time!". NOT! Besides needing to be more vocal, you need to stop your own pedaling and help folks when needed. That is part of being the teacher. Versus a participant. If the teacher was riding next to you on a different day... bet her tension level would be MUCH different (&the sweat to go with it;)).

Spinning is a great workout. Don't let the other stuff taint it. Shake em up:).

Zeek
12-03-2008, 08:46 AM
I always refer to the level of your gear as "resistance" and try to avoid using the word "tension." It's just a personal thing for me, as "tension" makes me think of something negative (and something that hurts). Resistance seems more appropriate, IMHO. Of course, you may not give a crap what I think either, and that's OK too. ;)

Miranda
12-03-2008, 05:26 PM
I always refer to the level of your gear as "resistance" and try to avoid using the word "tension." It's just a personal thing for me, as "tension" makes me think of something negative (and something that hurts). Resistance seems more appropriate, IMHO. Of course, you may not give a crap what I think either, and that's OK too. ;)

Zeek, you're funny lol. Yes, I care... You are very helpful in this area of the board:). Semantics...

People don't seem to care that I imagine I'm riding Pegasus with my eyes closed in spin class sometimes... but I do it anyway:cool:.

letsride89
12-04-2008, 02:16 PM
hey! well, i read this thread and didn't think much of it...i didn't reply because i didn't have any answer! then i went out in my garage and hopped on the trainer...my hair kept falling in my face! it was in a pony tail but the dagum little bangs and shorter pieces insisted on falling out...usually i would grab a headband but i looked to the left and there was a hat! i put it on and WALA!!! no more hair problems!

maybe thats another reason!

PinkBike
01-20-2009, 08:29 PM
i have a sprained ankle and wrist (a fall at work) so i'm living vicariously through other posts. but as for the hat thing, i have very long hair and i would prefer a baseball cap to (1) keep all the stray hairs out of my face, (2) catch the sweat and (3) put my ponytail through the back opening to keep it from bouncing into my face. sunglasses? no way - they'd feel all squishy on my nose from sweat and wouldn't they just fog over? but what do i know of gym fashion?

Duck on Wheels
01-26-2009, 12:55 PM
I use a buff, if mine're not all in the laundry. Works as a sweat band, keeps the hair out'a my face, and after the class when my hair's all sweaty and lank, I can either turn the buff into a beanie to cover it all up or push the hair upwards into a "fountain" with the buff rolled up sweatband style. (I shower after I hike home 'cuz I still have a few hundred feet of hill to climb after class.)

As for the noise level, I've given up on explaining and complaining. There're some instructors who just really don't get it that intensity is not equivalent to noise level, but that hearing damage is. My hearing is already damaged (from agricultural equipment and rock concerts, probably), so I use ear plugs to protect what's left and keep the tinnitus from getting worse. The buff also helps there, keeps the ear plugs better in place and adds a bit more noise barrier. Only class I take without ear plugs is the classic music class :D which is mostly ok in terms of noise level, just two finale blasts that the instructor keeps apologizing for and saying next time she'll remember to turn those down.

Music the same from one class to the next: Some gyms have that as a policy too. Think of it as riding the same route. You get familiar with the route and it feels shorter, somehow. Same thing with the music, apparently. Doesn't matter much to me since I wear ear plugs and so hardly hear the darn stuff (unless there's something I really like and take the plugs out for, like if there's some Aretha or Stones in there). But I liked the policy better at the gym I went to in Madison, WI. There I had an instructor who put together fun programs of her own, not too loud, different each day, and with a progression through the year that turned them into a training program and not just a one-off workout over and over again. Here I have to weave my way between classes to put together my own training program out of the regular repetition (Tue 6pm -- intervals + weights after. Wed. 6pm -- classic & 7pm -- intervals. Fri 6pm -- endurance + weights. Sat 10am -- intervals + weights. Sun when the spin room isn't in use -- distance using my own mp3 program for 2-3 hours). Well, as you can see, I've found a way to do that. There are even moments when spinning is fun. Kinda. At least with a couple of the instructors here, who are cheerful and helpful gals. Also some of my spin classmates are a fun bunch. But mostly it's just that I don't feel safe riding outside on snow and ice and grit, nor do I feel comfortable riding in below-freezing weather. So if I'm to be in shape for the ALC by May 30, I've gotta spin. :o

Miranda
01-31-2009, 01:43 PM
Update on my headwear situation...

I'm totally a Buff convert now:cool:. Though I look like a goober:o.

I'm the only one that wears the thing. My hair is so awful, I don't take it off to go into the weight room either. One of my instructor friends was giving me a hard time "that I look SO serious lol". Lucky her... her hair doesn't do the crazy stuff mine does and she's got a short cut.

I'm very impressed on the amount of sweat the Buff soaks up! I don't even really need my towel anymore. Plus, the Buff is a whole lot easier to keep up with versus half a dozen baby hair barrets in the bottom of the gym bag:rolleyes:.

Zeek
02-05-2009, 06:48 AM
I'm a buff gal too. Terry Cycling has all the buffs I've ever needed. I have about 10 of them, all in different colors. Yes, Miranda, you are so right about the amount of sweat the buff soaks up. Thank goodness for buffs!

Miranda
02-06-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm a buff gal too. Terry Cycling has all the buffs I've ever needed. I have about 10 of them, all in different colors. Yes, Miranda, you are so right about the amount of sweat the buff soaks up. Thank goodness for buffs!

Zeek... I am getting a collection of Buffs now lol. It's hard not to do when they have so many fun colors and prints:).

Zeek
02-09-2009, 08:05 AM
Zeek... I am getting a collection of Buffs now lol. It's hard not to do when they have so many fun colors and prints:).

Agreed! Almost as fun as buying shoes! lol..;)

kajero
02-09-2009, 05:05 PM
How do you wear the buff?

Crankin
02-10-2009, 09:21 AM
I have been growing my hair out from a pixie. It's now near the bottom of my ears. I still have layers, that get styled/trimmed every eight weeks. I also got my hair straightened and have become friends with the flat iron.
Now, my hair isn't curly. It twists, bends, frizzes and the bottom layers now actually stick straight up and over the longer layer if I don't iron them...
I bought a buff and although my hair is dry and pretty good on the top and around my face after a class, the ends are sopped and flipping. I am wearing it like a wide headband in class.
I just ordered a new buff that is smaller, for women's faces, since my head is teeny.
But I am dreading the cycling season and what i will look like. I am hoping it will be long enough to pull back by May.

Zeek
02-11-2009, 10:51 AM

I just put it over my head and bring it down below my chin, and then I move it up to my forehead so it's wrapped around my forehead to catch the sweat. Does that make sense? Like you would wear a head band.

Miranda
02-14-2009, 09:28 AM
Agreed! Almost as fun as buying shoes! lol..;)

HA! Yea, except when you have all this colorful fun on your head in the Buff, it draws away from the shoes lol:).

google "buyabuff.com". It's a Canadian web site. Free ship for two Buffs or more. Under $200 US$ and it's duty free. They carry the Women's slim fit. REI.com also carries a few Buffs. But not the slim fit ladies size (size post below about youth size, REI does carry that). Terry's site has a couple too. Last year Terry had some exclusive Terry prints that matched their jerseys. At the end of year sale, I got a Princess print for $11!

I have been growing my hair out from a pixie...
I just ordered a new buff that is smaller, for women's faces, since my head is teeny.
But I am dreading the cycling season and what i will look like. I am hoping it will be long enough to pull back by May.

I just said this to my new hairdresser. OMG! I hate the thought of cutting my hair off because the sides are FINALLY long enough to get into a ponytail for the helmet:(.

Long story short, I have a disaster from my prior hairdresser I've been trying to fix. The best bet really is to just cut it out and start over. All I can figure to do is stuff the crazy short pieces up into the helmet, then crank the tention strap the rest of the way to get the fit. Sorta like the concept of a swim cap and tucking hair into that.

If you also mean when you stop with a group and take your helmet off... well... you could carry a Buff with you and slip it over the hair crazy mess to cover it. They have some prints with bikes in them that are really fun.

Lastly... women's slim fit Buffs... I have diff sizes at my house. Actually, the women's slim fit is the same size as the youth. DD has one. Thus, if you see a print in a boys/girls size you like, it fits like the slim fit.

Btw, I wear a size small Giro helmet head circumfrance 54cm.

The slim fit starts out a bit tight, but will stretch some with wear. The original still fits, but just more relaxed.

Crankin
02-15-2009, 04:21 AM
Thanks. I haven't received my slim fit buff yet; the buff company charged me twice for the order, got that straightened out, so now just waiting.
I am going nordic skiing today, so I will be looking lovely when I am done. I just sweat so much, compared to everyone else. Then my hair goes wild, even if I start off with it nicely flat ironed.
I have to get some barrets, too.

derailed
02-15-2009, 05:07 AM
Thanks for the buff suggestions, folks!
I had seen them without knowing what they were, now we have a couple on the way.

I'm a diehard beanie/toque/wooliehat wearer, this looks like a fantastic alternative.

TrekTheKaty
03-29-2009, 06:21 AM
I've dared DH to wear a jersey and helmet to spinning. So far, no go. Got my iphone camera handy, just in case......