PDA

View Full Version : Wild Goose Chase 2009

Pages : [1] 2

Kalidurga
07-31-2008, 12:22 PM
Just got e-mail notification that registration for 2009 is open! Info (http://www.terrybicycles.com/tours/09WGC_info.html) and Registration (http://www.terrybicycles.com/tours/09WGC_register.php).

divingbiker
07-31-2008, 12:38 PM
I got the e-mail, too, and registered right away.

amithereyet
07-31-2008, 12:49 PM
I signed up, as well.

And......the jersey is cut fuller for 2009. Maybe one will grace this body.

Zen
07-31-2008, 01:21 PM
I want to go but can only afford to camp.
Guess I'll see what the site says about that.

Kalidurga
07-31-2008, 03:05 PM
I won't be making hotel arrangements until closer to May. I shouldn't even have shelled out the registration fee right now, but oh well :rolleyes:

Zen, depending on how much driving you want to do, you could always camp at Assateague and drive back up for the ride on Sunday morning.

Zen
07-31-2008, 04:25 PM
Actually, I don't really need a campsite.
All I need is a couple of jugs of water and a place to pee and I can sleep in The Mothership :)

And with that, I'm in.

withm
07-31-2008, 04:53 PM
I tried to register from work but the website either didn't like my logging into the link from my work, or maybe it just didn't work. I was able to register from home though. :)

Zen - there are 2 MD State Parks 40-50 miles away - Martinak, and Tuckahoe. Martinak would be the closer one. I've camped at one of them but forget which one it was just now. The rate for tent camping is only $20/night (this year anyway).

Terry says they are working on discounted motel rooms.

Zen
07-31-2008, 05:34 PM
I got a response from a forum posting.
There are two places fairly close to Cambridge-
Taylors Island Family Campground and Madison Bay Campground.
Don't know what they cost yet, neither has a website.

madscot13
07-31-2008, 06:55 PM
do you have room for one more? or would you mind splitting a motel room?

Zen
07-31-2008, 07:07 PM
Who?

I'll try to save up. Maybe I can split one by then.

7rider
08-01-2008, 04:31 AM
Gads.

I don't even know where I'll be in May of 2009, much less whether or not to register for a bike ride in Maryland (or where I'd stay for the event!!!). :rolleyes:

That said, I'll probably drink the Kool-Aid and sign up this weekend.

Zen
08-01-2008, 04:43 AM
It's only $35.
You give that out to the homeless each day.

divingbiker
08-01-2008, 06:18 AM
Gads.

I don't even know where I'll be in May of 2009...

Excuse me, is your household thinking of moving elsewhere?

7rider
08-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Excuse me, is your household thinking of moving elsewhere?

I'm retiring to Nebraska. ;)

divingbiker
08-01-2008, 07:54 AM
I'm retiring to Nebraska. ;)

Well, it just so happens that I have a 4-bedroom house on 3 acres, just renovated with all new paint and carpet and bathroom and well and septic and roof, for sale. Interested???;)

Becky
08-04-2008, 04:39 AM
I just signed up- can't wait to meet you all!

FWIW, I'll probably drive down from Northern DE and back that day. I'd be interested in carpooling if anyone's interested.....

7rider
08-06-2008, 07:12 AM
Okay. I am among the sheeple. :o I registered.... a full 9 months before the event. Saw the main email come out today, so I figured I better jump on the bandwagon while I can. :rolleyes:

Dang hotels are probably already full.

divingbiker
08-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Dang hotels are probably already full.

Oh crap I forgot about the hotel! I wonder if we should wait to see if Terry negotiates a good rate, or just book one now. Where did we stay this year?

Kalidurga
08-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Didn't we stay at the Holiday Inn Express?

Becky
08-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Is it really worth coming down the night before for events, etc., or is it more for the sleep factor? I'm a WCG newbie and have no idea.

divingbiker
08-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Is it really worth coming down the night before for events, etc., or is it more for the sleep factor? I'm a WCG newbie and have no idea.

Depends on how long the drive is, I guess. This year we made a weekend of it and brought our kayaks down on Saturday for a nice day on the water. I'd love to do that again next year.

Becky
08-06-2008, 11:29 AM
It's about ~2 hours for me. Not outside the realm of possibilities. On one hand, it's just me, no one else to plan around, so I could drive down at 5am. On the other hand, I don't want to miss out on cool pre-ride events.

I'll probably book something now- I can always cancel later.

jeannierides
08-06-2008, 04:56 PM
I registered on Monday! IFJane also registered, and we're trying to convince KayTee to drink the koolaid too!;)
:rolleyes: I'm hoping Terry can work out some discounted rates, but we probably won't make reservations this soon.:rolleyes:

short cut sally
08-08-2008, 10:25 AM
To add to this post, I have registered and I convinced my riding partner to come too. Now we have to work out the lodging issues. And purchasing some kayaks for the day before. Do they rent them locally? I'm trying to think of options here. Its bad enough to figure out human lodging, let alone lodging for the bikes and kayaks..(safety in numbers;))

divingbiker
08-08-2008, 11:00 AM
With my "Senior" discount, the Days Inn is $98, so I may book a room. The cheapest room at the Holiday Inn Express is $115, but you have to pay now and if you cancel you're SOL. Otherwise it's closer to $130.

I'd hate to not have a place to stay...

Kalidurga
08-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Considering the limited dining options in that area, I'm going to research a few more towns over thataways. I'm willing to drive farther between my hotel and the ride if it means I can get a better dinner and breakfast :D

withm
08-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Since it was such a beautiful day yesterday and I didn't have anything more pressing to do I decided to go back to Blackwater and do the ride again. What a gorgeous day! I went to the high school where I was surprised to find hundreds of cars parked - good I can blend in nicely. Hmm many of cars have bikes. Uh oh, they are time trial bikes.... What have I wandered into?

Turns out it was the Annapolis Cycling club doing the Church Creek time trials. OK, I just want to keep out of their way. They assured me no problem. So I set out on my ride, but eventually I ended up on Church Creek road, and had quite a show. I stopped at the parking lot near the kayak launch and watched as the riders whizzed by. They must have started them at intervals - one would pass, followed in 15-40 seconds by the next, then maybe 2 or three nearly together, then a longer gap. The bikes seemed noisy to me with those disk wheels. Eventually I ventured back onto the road ever vigilant to hug the right. I only had a couple more miles before I turned off so all was well.

Every road I traveled either looked like this
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e331/withm2/WGC/IMG_1282.jpg

or this
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e331/withm2/WGC/IMG_1290.jpg

or better,
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e331/withm2/WGC/IMG_1295.jpg

At one point I stopped at one of the bridge overlooks where people had been crabbing all morning and had over a bushel! I also came across a group of riders on hybrids from the Annapolis area struggling with a flat tire. At least they had a tube and a CO2 but it was clear they had little experience. I showed them a few tricks to help them out and lent my pump so they could save the CO2 for another time. The guy assured me that he ran his fingers around the tire and didn't find anything... I asked him a couple times about that but was not convinced. I hope he didn't get another flat later....

At the visitor center I wandered into the butterfly garden out back. WOW! There were so many flutterbyes that I was almost swatting them away from my face! A lovely sunny garden but it was hot and I wanted to get moving.
Mainly I had stopped there on the 2nd pass to visit the nice clean facilities, fill my water bottle, and get a coke before heading to Wildlife Drive.

The bulk of Wildlife Drive was closed "for construction" but expected to be reopened in October. The main entrance was barricaded. However there was a 2nd entrance, hastily marked which allowed you to traverse a smaller loop which I did. There I saw a bald eagle perched on a pole, a couple of osprey, and watched a great blue heron stalk, dive, catch, and swallow a fish! I had taken pix, but the better camera is the one in my mind. After the fact I was kicking myself for not putting the camera into video mode.. It was awesome to watch that. And this coming from someone who sees great blue herons nearly every day!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e331/withm2/WGC/IMG_1305.jpg

This is another view of the area where we kayaked
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e331/withm2/WGC/IMG_1307.jpg

and in case you don't know that that orange thing is
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e331/withm2/WGC/IMG_1300.jpg

Like the sign says, it's a bike!

I got 46 miles in and it was great.

So, I don't think I can wait till May to do this ride again. I'm thinking October or early November. By then it will be full of Canada Geese and Snow Geese. With fall colors it ought to be beautiful.

Martha

Zen
08-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Oh, this is gonna be good.
can I bum a 'yak from you?

Kalidurga
08-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Gorgeous photos, withm. I wish we'd had that sky back in May, instead of the gloomy one we rode beneath. And, of course, I hope we have a beautiful blue one like that in May '09!

7rider
08-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Wow. Thanks for the pix! It's got me dreaming of sunnier days next May!
A couple of the folks from my LBS group ride were at that time trial. One woman I know did okay in her 50+ group. Didn't quite reach her goal, but said the winds picked up pretty good. She did come in second with her tandem partner later on (pretty darned good considering they BOTH raced already that day!). She rocks.

Cataboo
10-28-2008, 02:32 PM
Oh, I didn't see this till now - it looks like registration is filled up.

How're the mosquitos/ticks around there? I try to kayak camp on Assateague in early spring and late fall to avoid the bugs, and I always end up getting eaten alive.

squirrell
10-28-2008, 03:42 PM
DANG! :( I just told my DH today that I really wanted to do this ride next year and it's already closed!! Their forum said they would open slots as they had cancellations though, so I'll keep an eye on it.

Kalidurga
10-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Now, Regina, aren't you glad you signed up when you did?

Baaaaaaaaaaaa!

;)

7rider
10-29-2008, 03:00 AM
Now, Regina, aren't you glad you signed up when you did?

Baaaaaaaaaaaa!

;)

As long as the day looks like the one in WithM's pictures, I'll be glad! :cool:

Still don't have a hotel, and I haven't given the ride much more thought since I registered.

Kalidurga
10-29-2008, 03:09 AM
Yeah, I'd like to have a day like that, too. I haven't thought about it much since registering, either, but when I do:

Considering the limited dining options in that area, I'm going to research a few more towns over thataways. I'm willing to drive farther between my hotel and the ride if it means I can get a better dinner and breakfast :D

Whenever I get around to it, I'll let y'all know what I find.

squirrell
10-29-2008, 04:41 AM
Just found out you can ask to be wait listed by emailing Terry via their forums--I just sent in my name and hope to hear something soon!

Kalidurga
10-29-2008, 06:19 AM
Good luck, squirrell. It was a great ride this year, and the addition of more porta-johns gives it the potential to be even better next year ;)

Cataboo
10-29-2008, 06:24 AM
Thanks - I guess I'll do that as well.

divingbiker
10-29-2008, 07:02 AM
Whenever I get around to it, I'll let y'all know what I find.

I know you love driving, Kalidurga, but I don't and so I can't imagine that there's any food that's good enough for me to want to stay in a different town and drive extra distance on the morning of the ride. I'm hoping to stay the same place as last year; hoping Terry comes out with their list of special rates soon. The free breakfast was good enough for me.

Cataboo
10-29-2008, 07:11 AM
Just found out you can ask to be wait listed by emailing Terry via their forums--I just sent in my name and hope to hear something soon!

Okay, apparently I'm clueless... I went and registered at the Terry forums, but I don't see anyway to email or PM someone.

How did you manage?

Becky
10-29-2008, 07:17 AM
I know you love driving, Kalidurga, but I don't and so I can't imagine that there's any food that's good enough for me to want to stay in a different town and drive extra distance on the morning of the ride. I'm hoping to stay the same place as last year; hoping Terry comes out with their list of special rates soon. The free breakfast was good enough for me.

I thought there were some places listed in the WGC forum on the Terry site? DH and I booked a place in Easton, mostly b/c it allows dogs and we can bring the fur-kid with us :) I couldn't find anything in Cambridge that was pet friendly, except the Hyatt :eek: and Fur-kid is too big, according to their policy.

EDIT: Here it is: http://forums.terrybicycles.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=1033

withm
10-29-2008, 07:22 AM
As long as the day looks like the one in WithM's pictures, I'll be glad! :cool:

Still don't have a hotel, and I haven't given the ride much more thought since I registered.

I rode in Easton and St. Michael's last weekend, and stopped at Blackwater on the way home but it was getting too late to ride at that point. I think I may go over there on Sat and do the ride again. The trees have started to change, and if not this weekend, I'll go next weekend. Hoping for full color by then. Of course I'll post pix whenever it is that I go over there.

Last w/e we stayed at the Hampton Inn in Easton; a little more expensive than the Days Inn in Cambridge but offers a better breakfast, including HOT sausage & French toast., and free wireless access. Nice rooms, comfy beds, more upscale. But I noted that the Days Inn had a sign saying free wireless now as well.

There are many very good restaurants in Easton - about 12 miles away from Cambridge Holiday Inn Express and the caliber of restaurant suggests that they may accommodate vegetarians better than what we had in Cambridge.

When I go back I'll try to find more restaurants in Cambridge area.

Martha

divingbiker
10-29-2008, 08:27 AM
I thought there were some places listed in the WGC forum on the Terry site? DH and I booked a place in Easton, mostly b/c it allows dogs and we can bring the fur-kid with us :) I couldn't find anything in Cambridge that was pet friendly, except the Hyatt :eek: and Fur-kid is too big, according to their policy.

EDIT: Here it is: http://forums.terrybicycles.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=1033

Thank you! I guess I assumed they'd e-mail the info on hotels to people who'd registered.

I booked a room at the Holiday Inn Express.

Kalidurga
10-29-2008, 08:57 AM
12 miles ain't no big deal. Food, on the other hand, is a big deal :D ;)

I checked some rates in Easton for May 2-3, 2009:

* Hampton Inn is currently approximately $150 (depending on bed choice)

* Holiday Inn Express is anywhere from $128 - $150 (depending on rate package choice)

* Days Inn and Comfort Inn are approx $110

* Econo Lodge is approx $90

What, they got no Motel 6 on the Eastern Shore? :eek:

withm
10-29-2008, 09:03 AM
AARP rate at Hampton was 116 last weekend

divingbiker
10-29-2008, 09:16 AM
The Wild Goose rate at the Holiday Inn Express in Cambridge is $109.

And I don't think I'm going to find good vegan food anywhere on the Eastern Shore, so it doesn't really matter what town I eat in.

withm
10-29-2008, 09:19 AM
I just made a reservation at the Comfort Inn. The Holiday Inn Express is already booked up for non-smoking rooms. Go figure.

divingbiker
10-29-2008, 09:29 AM
I just made a reservation at the Comfort Inn. The Holiday Inn Express is already booked up for non-smoking rooms. Go figure.

Huh, I got a non-smoking room. Must have gotten the last one.

I'd be willing to share a room if anyone wants to (and wears earplugs because I think I snore. Ask DebW if you need to know.)

squirrell
10-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Email talktous@terrybicycles.com and ask to be wait-listed. I haven't heard back yet though

Kalidurga
10-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Ok, here's a search from SideStep.com (http://www.sidestep.com/s/hotels.jsp?completed=true&searchid=$q0PQGKM8IaaT5_x3f2f7g) showing rates for multiple hotels that weekend beginning at $100. Click on Map View to see locations relative to Easton and Cambridge.

I just booked at Days Inn in Easton.

(Can you tell I'm bored at work today?)

7rider
10-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Huh, I got a non-smoking room. Must have gotten the last one.

I'd be willing to share a room if anyone wants to (and wears earplugs because I think I snore. Ask DebW if you need to know.)

I may take you up on that, if DH doesn't want to go, and if I do some kayaking the day before. Otherwise...I think I'd just do an out-and-back daytrip.

And I heard no snoring (or noise of any kind) from your side of the room in Harper's Ferry. Of course...I did have that earplug! :cool:

Cataboo
10-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Email talktous@terrybicycles.com and ask to be wait-listed. I haven't heard back yet though

I just emailed and got a response saying that she'd added me nearly immediately.

If I go, I'll probably try to camp nearby

squirrell
10-29-2008, 12:14 PM
I still haven't heard back. :confused:

squirrell
10-29-2008, 01:08 PM
I emailed a 2nd time and got a reply. The person said they never got the first email but I've now been put on the wait list. :D

Kalidurga
01-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Just got an e-mail update about the Wild Goose Chase ride:

The Wild Goose Chase Email Update

Thank you again for registering for theThe Wild Goose Chase! It will be here before we know it, so here's the first of several updates you'll receive between now and May 3.

We're working on lots for you to do should you decide to make a weekend of it. On Saturday, May 2, here's what's in the works:

* Blackwater Paddle and Pedal has reserved the day for participants in the Wild Goose Chase. Guided kayak tours will be conducted from 8 - 10 am, 11 am - 1 pm and 2 - 4 pm. Contact them for more information or to make a reservation: 410-901-9255. Tell them you're on the Wild Goose Chase ride. These tours will sell out fast, so don't put off making your reservation. This is a spectacular way to see the heart of the Refuge.

* Enjoy self-guided bike rides to historic spots in the area. In a future email, we'll send a link so you can download directions. So far we have a century and a 30 mile ride in the works.

* An 8 a.m. bird walk will be held Blackwater NWR. Meet at the Refuge Visitor Center -- and don't forget your binoculars! Enjoy browsing and shopping the the Eagle's Nest Book and Gift Shop after your bird walk.

* Enjoy a tour of the historic Old Trinity Church and church yard from 10:30 - 11:00 am and again from 1:00 - 1:30 pm.. Old Trinity is the oldest Episcopalian church in the U.S. in continuous use; dates from c. 1675 and incorporated as Dorchester Parish in 1692.

* The infamous Terry Tent Sale will be held from noon to 5 pm at ride headquarters, the Cambridge-South Dorchester High School.

* Join us at ride headquarters, the Cambridge-South Dorchester High School between 3 and 5 pm for early-bird registration. I'll be there and I'll look forward to meeting you.

If you're coming for the weekend and need a place to stay, these hotels are offering special rates:

* Hyatt Regency, 100 Heron Blvd., Cambridge, 410-901-1234 (This resort on the Choptank River has a very nice Spa as well as other great amenities.)
Regular rate: $279; WGC rate: $219
Rooms are available until January 31, 2009 or until they sell out. Please ask for the Wild Goose Chase special rate of $219 when you call.
* Comfort Inn, 2936 Ocean Gateway, Cambridge, 410-901-0926
Regular rate: $129.99 - 149.99; WGC rate: 116.99 - 134.99
Rooms are available until April 9, 2009 or until they sell out. Please ask for the Wild Goose Chase special rate when you call.
* Holiday Inn Express, 2715 Ocean Gateway, Cambridge, 410-221-9900
Regular rate: $134.99; WGC rate: 109.00
Rooms are available until April 2, 2009 or until they sell out. Please ask for the Wild Goose Chase special rate when you call.

Watch our website for information or you can always talk to other WGC riders on our forums to share information and get answers to questions.

If you registered for riders besides yourself, please forward them this email, since we don't know who they are or how to contact them!

Tailwinds,
Georgena

P.S. As we get closer to the ride, you may find you aren't able to attend and have to cancel. Please consider leaving your registration fee for the Friends of Blackwater. We have about 100 people on a waiting list, so we can fill your spot easily, but in these difficult economic times donations like yours are more important than ever.

Zen
01-12-2009, 12:17 PM
"The infamous Terry Tent Sale will be held from noon to 5 pm at ride headquarters, the Cambridge-South Dorchester High School."

:rolleyes:

Kalidurga
01-12-2009, 12:45 PM
More like the infamous Terry Buncha Boxes on Some Tables Under a Canopy Sale. Though I shouldn't knock it, I got a couple of nice jerseys last year.

divingbiker
01-12-2009, 12:50 PM
More like the infamous Terry Buncha Boxes on Some Tables Under a Canopy Sale.

Yeah, it was like going to a discount store (like Marshall's) after they've had a 75% off sale. What a mess. I hate rooting through boxes. If it's not lined up on a hanger with all the sizes in a row, I'm not going to mess with it no matter how good the deal.

This is why I do all my shopping online and have nothing that is fashionable.:rolleyes:

KathiCville
01-12-2009, 02:31 PM

I just made a reservation at the Holiday Inn Express today (1/12/09) and had no trouble snagging a non-smoking room at the WGC rate ($109 plus tax). The fellow who booked my room laughed and said he doesn't understand why they even offer smoking rooms 'cause no one ever seems to want one! Ha, ha, I hope my room isn't just "temporarily" designated non-smoking for that one weekend! :eek: ;)

Zen
01-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Somebody must want a smokin' room...:rolleyes:

KathiCville
01-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Oh dear, now I won't be able to get THAT image out o'my head after I check in....Thanks, Zen! :rolleyes::)

derailed
01-12-2009, 07:15 PM
I won't be able to do this ride this year, is there a link to the cue sheets, so I can enjoy the area on my own?

I hope you all have a wonderful time, and will be thinking of you.

Zen
01-12-2009, 07:27 PM
I've never been but this site might be a start.
http://www.fws.gov/blackwater/cycling.html

short cut sally
01-15-2009, 03:41 PM
OK you girls have my curiosity up now...I just called the HOliday Inn Express today and she told me that I was taking the last room with 2 beds in it..(beds are doubles-have no clue how big/little a double bed is)..she didn't ask or mention anything about smoking, and I didn't think about smoking as my riding partner nor I smoke.... I must call back to find out.!!!!..
(I do know there is a pool and sauna but no workout room...I had to ask:D.)

short cut sally
01-16-2009, 05:25 AM
Well, I called back to the Hol. Inn Xpress. The room that I reserved was a smoking room. I had such a poor connection or something, it was hard to hear her. The man this morning laughed and wondered why anyone riding a bike would want a smoking room. So, I called the Comfort Inn. They have no rooms left with 2 beds in them unless we want smoking. They do have rooms (3 left) with one King bed and a pull out sofa. I took that room. They have a free cont. breakfast, a pool and a workout/weight room. I guess I should've booked the room last year, knowing how fast the event sold out...should've listened to my inner voices instead of other people!!..;)

Kalidurga
01-16-2009, 06:06 AM
It's starting to sound as if it's going to be a zoo that weekend.

KathiCville
01-16-2009, 07:18 AM
ShellyJ....Sounds like you and I spoke to the same fellow at the Holiday Inn Express. I hope the 'non-smoking' room I nabbed earlier in the week really IS non-smoking. A room scented with Eau de Stale Cigarette is no fun, at least for this non-smoker! :eek:

Zen
01-16-2009, 07:43 AM
HI Express is full. I ended up at the Comfort Inn.
with taxes, etc. 129.86 for queen and sofa bed.

LadyinWhite
01-17-2009, 05:04 AM
I'm going down Friday night and staying two nights. I'm really excited. Last year I made the terrible mistake of having too much fun Sat night and was not in cycling form Sunday morning. :o

This year I'm determined to keep my wits about me for the whole weekend. LOL. I just wish they'd do the ride on Saturday. I think it would be great ride Sat, eat/drink/be merry Sat night, have a lazy breakfast ride Sunday morning then head home.

Ah well --- it will be fun, the park really was gorgeous and as someone who doesn't know what it's like to ride more than 10min without a car whizzing by - I can't wait to experience the peace of open road through the quiet again!

Theresa

short cut sally
01-19-2009, 11:39 AM
You know LadyinWhite, I do like your idea of a Sat. ride, all day, a social event Sat night, and then a lazy ride again on Sunday. My riding parter and myself will be coming from out of state for this, so our time is really spent on the road. We are traveling down Sat, find the hotel, sleep, ride and go back home right from the ride.
Who knows, this event is bigger than the maiden event from last year, so they may even make it even bigger next year. (hint Georgina, hint hint:D)
I would be all for a whole big event weekend..-granted they have made kayaking available on Sat. but doubt we will arrive in time to participate. (So they have offered it into being a whole weekend event.) With this being our first year to ever participate in an out of state event, we weren't sure what we were getting into so we were conservative on the whole thing.
Either way, I'm getting excited, as it is a vacation from work and looking forward to meeting so many of you, actually putting faces to names...

Zen
01-19-2009, 12:10 PM
We should find a restaurant for a meet & greet Saturday night:rolleyes:

LadyinWhite
01-20-2009, 05:23 AM
That's a great idea!

Kalidurga
01-20-2009, 06:47 AM
Just please don't choose the place we went to last year. The only thing good there was the deep-fried pickles and I'm not ready to make a meal out of those.

Zen
01-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Which place was that?

Kalidurga
01-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Actually, I tried to remember but couldn't. Shows what an impression it made on me. Maybe DB, Withm or Regina would remember.

Zen
01-20-2009, 02:21 PM
We could have a deep-fried pickle eating contest http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/edoom/throwup.gif

Kalidurga
01-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Y'know, I would take you up on that, but there'd need to be two conditions:

1) That it be after I recover from the ride. I dunno if it'd be a good idea to do that the night before. And,

2) That there be something else decent on the menu besides the pickles.

Zen
01-20-2009, 03:05 PM
You're on.

Hey- this place (http://www.toddseafood.com/) looks good to me.

I don't see any fried pickles, though

divingbiker
01-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Actually, I tried to remember but couldn't. Shows what an impression it made on me. Maybe DB, Withm or Regina would remember.

Was this (http://www.snapperswaterfrontcafe.com/) it? It kind of looks like the place, and based on the google map it seems like it's in the area I remember (over a bridge and to the right through a neighborhood), but I don't see fried pickles on the menu.

Kalidurga
01-21-2009, 11:33 AM
I think that's it, DB. We ate out on the porch overlooking the dock. Looks like they don't have the deep-fried pickles anymore, either.

Zen
01-21-2009, 12:47 PM
i see now why you were complaining about the food.
That place is trying to do two extremely different type foods. And then throwing fried pickles into the mix :eek:

And then there's the Acacia experience :rolleyes:

7rider
01-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Good grief, people.
I'm bringin' a bag lunch. :rolleyes:

withm
01-21-2009, 05:21 PM
On my last foray into Cambridge, several different people (locals) highly recommended "Kay's Country Kitchen" at the airport. People who have private planes often do "fly-ins" there for lunch apparently. It may be more like "diner" type food but it might be worth a look. Prices should be reasonable. I've not been there but may get an opportunity to do so between now and May 3.

Also good is Bistro Poplar, in Cambridge. According to their website, entrees run about $20-22. Again, I've not been there.
http://www.bistropoplar.com/

If we want to go up to Easton for a nicer dinner, Mason's Gourmet restaurant in Easton is very nice. They have an expensive menu, also a "bistro" menu with lighter fare. I had an oyster pot pie there that was delicious! They also do lunch there, and have a great bar/deli area. And they make their own chocolates there. Hmm we should ride over there from Cambridge on Sat for lunch, coffee and chocolate. Then ride back to Cambridge and go kayaking. Or not.

http://www.masonsgourmet.com

Martha

Zen
01-21-2009, 07:15 PM
low budget stuff for me. I like the looks of the joint I posted. it just looks like a good old crabhouse

short cut sally
01-21-2009, 07:54 PM
I'm with you Zen, I can't justify 20.00 meal, unless it's darn good and comes with a take home bag!! $7-10 might be my average for a meal providing its really good..

divingbiker
04-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Got my goose chase jersey today. I like it. I was afraid it was going to have cap sleeves, because that's what the picture looked like, but it's got normal short sleeves. Fits nice, and no elastic waist!

Only three more weeks, ladies.

Kalidurga
04-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Let's hope for less wind than last time, and maybe a bit of sun.

withm
04-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Got my goose chase jersey today. I like it. I was afraid it was going to have cap sleeves, because that's what the picture looked like, but it's got normal short sleeves. Fits nice, and no elastic waist!

Only three more weeks, ladies.

Did you buy the jersey last year? How did it compare size wise to last year's jersey? Their ad says it is more traditional sizing, but I haven't a clue what that means in the real world.

I got an email that my credit card was declined... well when you buy something in August and they don't ship til April a lot can happen. It was a card I never use, so the bank cancelled it citing that "apparently their card wasn't meeting my needs". So now I'm trying to see what the sizing is like before I give them a different credit card.

divingbiker
04-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Did you buy the jersey last year? How did it compare size wise to last year's jersey? Their ad says it is more traditional sizing, but I haven't a clue what that means in the real world.

Last year I got an XXL, and this year I got an XL, and they seem to be similar in size. So it looks like this year's is about a size bigger than last year's.

7rider
04-10-2009, 04:46 PM
I found out recently that I didn't order a jersey at all! :eek::rolleyes:
Oh, well. Money I don't need to spend.
DB...we need to coordinate re: Saturday evening.
Also...How many kayaks am I bringing? Zen...are you kayaking with us? I can put you in the yellow boat this time and give you a better paddle to use than that wooden one.

Zen
04-10-2009, 05:24 PM
I don't know if I even ordered a jersey...I guess not :o

7, I don't know what time I'll be getting there and I'm bringing a friend. I know she like to kayak so maybe she and I can switch off. I'll talk to her and try to get there reasonably early.

That wooden oar is a bear :eek:

Becky
04-10-2009, 05:25 PM
I got an email that my credit card was declined... well when you buy something in August and they don't ship til April a lot can happen. It was a card I never use, so the bank cancelled it citing that "apparently their card wasn't meeting my needs". So now I'm trying to see what the sizing is like before I give them a different credit card.

Me too. The card they had ended up being cancelled and re-issued due to some fraudulent charges. But they were very nice about it, and I'm looking forward to my new jersey and my first WGC :)

divingbiker
04-10-2009, 06:37 PM
DB...we need to coordinate re: Saturday evening.

What are we coordinating, other than sharing a hotel room? I'm kinda dense tonight.

withm
04-10-2009, 08:07 PM
What are we coordinating, other than sharing a hotel room? I'm kinda dense tonight.

Dinner?

7rider
04-11-2009, 03:19 AM

Oh, I don't know....outfits? :confused:
Actually, I was just thinking the hotel room.
But dinner would be nice, too.

divingbiker
04-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Oh, I don't know....outfits? :confused:
Actually, I was just thinking the hotel room.
But dinner would be nice, too.

Ha, matching outfits. Now THAT would be funny.

I figure what we need to coordinate is where and when we're going to meet up to go kayaking, and then we can figure out dinner and the rest.

Zen
04-11-2009, 12:04 PM
What time are you figuring on arriving in Cambridge?

divingbiker
04-11-2009, 12:35 PM
What time are you figuring on arriving in Cambridge?

I looked at last year's thread, and we met at the Wildlife Refuge Visitors Center at 10, then went over to the kayak put-in and were on the water around 11, if I remember correctly. I think we pulled over to the side and had lunch, then were back by 3ish(?) so we could check in to the hotel, shower, rest, and get ready to go to dinner (such as it was). We checked in for the Goose Chase at the high school that afternoon, too, didn't we?

I'd be ok with doing the same, or maybe meeting at 10:30 rather than 10?

Kalidurga
04-11-2009, 03:43 PM
I haven't figured out yet whether I'm going 'yakking that Saturday. If there are organized paddles going on, it may be a little crowded out there (not to mention in the parking lot for the put-in). But I'd definitely like to meet everyone for dinner.

divingbiker
04-11-2009, 05:55 PM
I haven't figured out yet whether I'm going 'yakking that Saturday. If there are organized paddles going on, it may be a little crowded out there (not to mention in the parking lot for the put-in). But I'd definitely like to meet everyone for dinner.

I wondered about it being crowded. But the Terry web site says the organized paddles are from 8-10, 11-1, and 5-7, so if we wanted to meet a bit later and start paddling after they've all left, it might work ok. I'd think they'll probably have a bus to take people to the put-ins, so there shouldn't be a lot of extra cars there. Maybe I'll call the Blackwater Padddle and Pedal and ask what their plans are.

amithereyet
04-12-2009, 04:27 AM
My jersey arrived and it fits, unlike last year.
So..........I look forward to seeing everyone in a few weeks.

Am trying to get some time on the pedals so that I won't be the last one on the road.

Zen
04-12-2009, 09:33 AM
My jersey arrived and it fits, unlike last year.
So..........I look forward to seeing everyone in a few weeks.

Am trying to get some time on the pedals so that I won't be the last one on the road.

I'll be there with you ;)

7rider
04-12-2009, 09:56 AM
So....
Do we have time for a TE training ride before this event?
Perhaps the Peach Tree Loop (http://bikewashington.org/routes/peachtree/index.htm)out of Riley's Lock on the 18th or 25th?

divingbiker
04-12-2009, 11:41 AM
So....
Do we have time for a TE training ride before this event?
Perhaps the Peach Tree Loop (http://bikewashington.org/routes/peachtree/index.htm)out of Riley's Lock on the 18th or 25th?

Hmm, not sure, but I need to since I've only been on my road bike one time, for 28 miles. The only day that would work for me is the 18th; I'm doing a 5K on the 19th and the next weekend Zen and I are in NYC.

Kalidurga
04-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Ugh. Peach Tree's a much more strenuous ride than Wild Goose :eek: How about a nice flat towpath ride? :D

7rider
04-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Ugh. Peach Tree's a much more strenuous ride than Wild Goose :eek: How about a nice flat towpath ride? :D

That's specifically why I offered Peach Tree. If you do Peach Tree, the WGC will be gravy. :cool:

Cataboo
04-12-2009, 04:42 PM
I haven't heard back from the waiting list for wild goose chase, so I doubt I'll be there. I've got to do a diabetes walk for a cure thingie with my niece on the 25th, but I think I could do peach tree on the 18th.

divingbiker
04-13-2009, 01:59 AM
I'd be up for either a road ride or a C&O ride, but one thing to think about is that our speed differences aren't such an issue on the C&O. I hate to feel like I'm holding you back on road rides.

Kalidurga
04-13-2009, 03:08 AM
I hate to feel like I'm holding you back on road rides.

Exactly why I don't feel up to riding Peach Tree. I was out on the W&OD the other day and began thinking about Rosaryville, but I'm not sure I'm even up to a group ride there, yet. This winter whipped me worse than usual :( I almost feel like I need to ride by myself for a while to get back in shape, then start joining you all.

But I'm always up for group meals ;)

7rider
04-13-2009, 04:48 AM
I'd be up for either a road ride or a C&O ride, but one thing to think about is that our speed differences aren't such an issue on the C&O. I hate to feel like I'm holding you back on road rides.

If I were concerned with that, I wouldn't have offered (besides...I intended to ride my bike to Riley's Lock, to whup my butt before I even started!). C&O won't give me the miles I'd like, but if that's the will of the group, I'd be up for that.

divingbiker
04-13-2009, 05:09 AM
If I were concerned with that, I wouldn't have offered (besides...I intended to ride my bike to Riley's Lock, to whup my butt before I even started!). C&O won't give me the miles I'd like, but if that's the will of the group, I'd be up for that.

Ok, I thought I posted this already but it seems to have gone into the ether...

Regina, you never make me feel like I'm too slow, but I feel guilty anyway. I'd be fine doing a road ride Saturday, because I need to get some miles on the road bike if I'm going to be riding it during the Goose Chase.

How many miles is it to Riley's Lock? I'll give you and your bike a ride home if you'd like.

7rider
04-13-2009, 05:31 AM
Regina, you never make me feel like I'm too slow, but I feel guilty anyway. .

Well, DON'T! :D

I'd be fine doing a road ride Saturday, because I need to get some miles on the road bike if I'm going to be riding it during the Goose Chase.

How many miles is it to Riley's Lock? I'll give you and your bike a ride home if you'd like.

Cool. I think it's about 20 miles to Riley's Lock from my house. I only know the way the N2 goes, and that may not be the most direct (bike friendly) route. But, regardless, I think I may take you up on that offer!

Let's do a road ride ....pleeeease??? What time at Riley's on the 18th? Anyone else??? I may ask a friend to join us with whom I'm doing the metric WGC ride...(I'm assuming y'all are doing different routes??).

divingbiker
04-13-2009, 05:44 AM
Let's do a road ride ....pleeeease??? What time at Riley's on the 18th? Anyone else??? I may ask a friend to join us with whom I'm doing the metric WGC ride...(I'm assuming y'all are doing different routes??).

Yeah, I'm doing the 40ish route at the WGC. I think that's what I did last year.

The weather forecast shows that the overnight low on Friday night is 46, and the high Saturday 67, so we could start at any time and be comfortable. What would work out for you, since you're riding to Riley's?

And Tam, come and join us. I'll drag along behind with you.

Kalidurga
04-13-2009, 06:52 AM
I've been on my bike exactly three times since October and I took a lot of breaks on each ride (sometimes to fiddle with new gear, sometimes to catch my breath). If you can put up with that, then I'll do my best to keep up.

divingbiker
04-13-2009, 09:12 AM
I've been on my bike exactly three times since October and I took a lot of breaks on each ride (sometimes to fiddle with new gear, sometimes to catch my breath). If you can put up with that, then I'll do my best to keep up.

Great! Now, what time?

Zen
04-13-2009, 09:16 AM
DB, don't you commute daily?
Isn't the Goose Chase flat (albeit breezy)?
The shortest option is 25 miles, how hard can it be?
And why do I think those words will come back to haunt me?

divingbiker
04-13-2009, 09:28 AM
DB, don't you commute daily?
Isn't the Goose Chase flat (albeit breezy)?
The shortest option is 25 miles, how hard can it be?
And why do I think those words will come back to haunt me?

It's a little different riding 7 miles at a shot while commuting, vs. 43 on the Goose Chase. I know I can do it, given all the other exercise I've been doing, but I'd like to get my butt accustomed to the saddle on the road bike. I had to figure out how to use the shifters when I rode it last weekend.

7rider
04-13-2009, 09:41 AM
If I left with the N2 crew at 7:30, I could probably be at Riley's Lock for 9 a.m. DH could take the keys with him, so he'd have the truck to go home after his ride (likely to Poolesville as well, if not to Sugarloaf).

divingbiker
04-13-2009, 10:07 AM
If I left with the N2 crew at 7:30, I could probably be at Riley's Lock for 9 a.m. DH could take the keys with him, so he'd have the truck to go home after his ride (likely to Poolesville as well, if not to Sugarloaf).

Sounds good to me.

Kalidurga
04-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Isn't the Goose Chase flat (albeit breezy)? The shortest option is 25 miles, how hard can it be? And why do I think those words will come back to haunt me?

I did the 25 mile route last year and it was wonderful until the last handful of miles when the wind began and I ended up crawling along in my lowest gear. If it hadn't been for that, the entire ride would've been a breeze (pun intended).

Oh my gosh, you all and your early rides :eek: When I ride solo, I don't get started until at least 2:00pm. One of these days we need to have a late-day group ride.

See you Saturday at 9am. I'll be in the parking lot at Riley's doing jumping jacks to wake up and wondering what I've gotten myself into... :eek:

7rider
04-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Oh my gosh, you all and your early rides :eek:

It's good for you. It builds character! Try coming out with us on the 7:30 rides. Always fun in the middle of February! :rolleyes:

When I ride solo, I don't get started until at least 2:00pm. One of these days we need to have a late-day group ride.

Not bad this time of year...but by that time, other commitments for the day take hold. It's hard to find time to get out for a ride at that hour, when there are other things that need to be done. Unless, of course, it's kayaking at that time after biking on those mythical multi-sport days....

divingbiker
04-13-2009, 11:45 AM
OK, I called Cambridge Pedal and Paddle and had a great conversation. We should definitely avoid the kayak put-in where we started last year. She's going to have tours there all day long, and it will be crowded.

But she recommended going to the Transquaking River, and paddling 5 miles between the bridges (on Drawbridge Rd and Decoursey Bridge Rd.) She said we could call them and they'd pick us up and take us back to our cars, or we could turn around halfway (2.5 miles) and paddle back. She said it was beautiful and peaceful and we'd love it.

Does that change your mind about paddling, Tam?

If you look at the map for the Terry ride (http://terrybikes.forest.net/ftp/pub/WGC/WGC_43mile.pdf) you'd take Aireys Rd (just east of Route 16) south to Drawbridge Rd and the river crosses near Higgins Mill Pond Rd.

She also recommended two restaurants: Suicide Bridge Restaurant (http://www.suicidebridge.com/menu.html) in Hurlock and Kay's at the Airport.

Kalidurga
04-13-2009, 01:01 PM
1) Late-day rides: I do all my other stuff in the morning, then leave my afternoons free for riding. And, personally, I think I've already got character in spades (though probably not the kind you're referring to) :D

2) Hmmm, yes, that alternate location certainly might change my mind about paddling that Saturday. Good sleuthing, Janice, and great that they offered to shuttle us (did she mention what they'd charge for that?). Suicide Bridge restaurant sounds tasty, but ever so slightly pricey. How far is that from Cambridge?

3) Anyone want a free house (http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/easternshore/bal-te.md.relocate13apr13,0,3962398.story?track=rss) out near Blackwater? I'm guessing this might be the old house that's on the way to the paddling put-in, near one of last year's Wild Goose rest-stops.

Zen
04-13-2009, 01:56 PM
I thought there was a deadline on that house. I hope someone takes it.

Hmmm.40K.....I could subdivide my lot, sell the front house and move that to the back half of the property.

But I want to live in town.

divingbiker
04-16-2009, 11:01 AM
2) Hmmm, yes, that alternate location certainly might change my mind about paddling that Saturday. Good sleuthing, Janice, and great that they offered to shuttle us (did she mention what they'd charge for that?). Suicide Bridge restaurant sounds tasty, but ever so slightly pricey. How far is that from Cambridge?

She said they'd charge $10 per kayak to shuttle us back to our cars. As an alternative, we can shuttle our own selves (leave one car at the end, then go get our other cars and drive back to the end to load the boats) if we want to park along the side of the road. She said theft hasn't been a problem, but of course we'll have our bikes with us so we need to consider that.

(Zen, I'm not sure how it would work to share Regina's kayak with your friend if we paddle 5 miles from bridge to bridge. I guess one of you could rent a kayak, but it might get pricey and they'd need to know right away since they have to rent kayaks to handle all the tours they're doing for the goose chase.)

Suicide Bridge restaurant is about 15 miles from Cambridge; I'm not too keen on it, both because of the menu (nothing vegan) and the price. I'd vote for either going to Easton (if someone else is willing to drive) or going to Kay's at the airport. Anywhere but where we ate last year.

So, who all is going? Martha, are you and your friend going to kayak with us this year?

Zen
04-16-2009, 11:42 AM
(Zen, I'm not sure how it would work to share Regina's kayak with your friend
She can go for a ride. Or something.

Kay's at the airport.
I have no idea what the menu is there but I was looking at the Suicide Bridge menu and it looks like it could get spendy there

Kalidurga
04-18-2009, 11:15 AM
For those of us planning to kayak on Saturday: Janice and I did some chattin' today and we're thinking that 12:00 noon would be a good time to meet. That would allow us time for a 2-3 hour paddle, then to head back to our various hotels and clean up for dinner, and still get to bed at a decent time to rest up for Sunday (for those of us who will need the rest ;) ). Do want to meet at the boat put-in along Drawbridge Road, or try to figure out a spot along route 50?

In order to choose a place for dinner that evening, we should probably figure out where everyone's staying and go from there. I'm in Easton at the Days Inn. Anyone else staying up that way?

ny biker
04-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Did you guys do the Peach Tree ride today? How was it?

Becky
04-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Anyone planning to meet up Sunday morning for the ride? I'll be coming down that morning and I'm planning to do the metric.

7rider
04-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Did you guys do the Peach Tree ride today? How was it?

Peach Tree loop was beautiful. Weather was absolutely spectacular. The scenary on that route is fantastic. The roads could be in better shape, but if they were, there'd probably be more tourist car traffic.

I'm also doing the metric for the WGC, Becky. Look for the cars (wagons) with the kayaks on them. I'll be on a Seven. I'm meeting a friend who is driving in for the day, and we're doing the metric together - If the weather is good, I'm hoping for a 17-18 mph average for the day - not crazy fast, but not dawdling. But, I don't know what my friend has in mind! I may be pulling her the whole way....or she may be pulling me!

Becky
04-18-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm also doing the metric for the WGC, Becky. Look for the cars (wagons) with the kayaks on them. I'll be on a Seven. I'm meeting a friend who is driving in for the day, and we're doing the metric together - If the weather is good, I'm hoping for a 17-18 mph average for the day - not crazy fast, but not dawdling. But, I don't know what my friend has in mind! I may be pulling her the whole way....or she may be pulling me!

Thanks for the info. I'll be riding my ruby-colored Bianchi. If my last hilly metric is any indication (14-15 mph), 17 should be doable.

What time are y'all planning to roll out?

withm
04-19-2009, 05:23 PM
So, who all is going? Martha, are you and your friend going to kayak with us this year?

Yes, I am meeting Annette at the Comfort Inn in Cambridge Friday night. We'll kayak on Sat. Just tell us where and when. Same for dinner Sat night. I'm easy. For Sunday she'll do a shorter ride but I'll probably do 40-ish whatever they are offering. Of course if the weather is nasty, I reserve the right to do something short.

Did you see all the other cue sheets they put on the website? I could spend a week over there doing all the rides. Sweet!

Zen
04-19-2009, 05:43 PM
I'll be at the Comfort Inn as well, driving the Mothership.

Zen
04-19-2009, 05:50 PM
I'm hoping for a 17-18 mph average for the day - not crazy fast, but not dawdling.

I am going to have a special beverage for you before the ride http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink008.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Why drive all that way to zoom through the scenery?
I plan on enjoying the day at my leisure and taking lots of photos.

7rider
04-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Becky...I've no idea what time we plan to shove off. More as we get closer, no doubt....

Zen
04-19-2009, 06:48 PM
i recently walked a portion of the canal that I normally ride. It's an entirely different experience. Sometimes you just have to stop, look around and take it all in.

7rider
04-20-2009, 02:40 AM
Good for you.
I'm sure you're a better person for it.

divingbiker
04-20-2009, 02:53 AM
Yes, I am meeting Annette at the Comfort Inn in Cambridge Friday night. We'll kayak on Sat. Just tell us where and when. Same for dinner Sat night. I'm easy. For Sunday she'll do a shorter ride but I'll probably do 40-ish whatever they are offering. Of course if the weather is nasty, I reserve the right to do something short.

Great!

I'd love to do the 40ish mile ride with you. Maybe Tam will join us also.

Kalidurga
04-20-2009, 07:50 AM
i recently walked a portion of the canal that I normally ride. It's an entirely different experience. Sometimes you just have to stop, look around and take it all in.

Which is one of the reasons I stop cycling when the weather gets colder and go back to hiking instead.

Considering that I survived the Peach Tree Loop and still felt good yesterday, the weather on 5/3 is now the deciding factor on whether I do the 25- or 43-mile route.

And, there definitely seem to be more dining options up in Easton (http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=restaurants,+easton+md&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&view=text&ei=2ZfsSeuYMKWKtgOC5oXjAQ&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=1&ct=more-results&cd=1). Do folks staying down in Cambridge want to drive up to Easton for our TE dinner Saturday evening, or should we try to find something from the slimmer pickings down around Cambridge?

Zen
04-20-2009, 07:56 AM
Good for you.
I'm sure you're a better person for it.

Yes I am.

I spoke with my friend and decided to skip the kayaking. We'd like to spend some time at the visitors center and maybe ride Saturday too.

divingbiker
04-20-2009, 08:26 AM
I spoke with my friend and decided to skip the kayaking. We'd like to spend some time at the visitors center and maybe ride Saturday too.

Well, that's too bad.

But Regina, I guess we can ride together now? I'll pay for gas.

7rider
04-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Well, that's too bad.

But Regina, I guess we can ride together now? I'll pay for gas.

Sure, Janice. That sounds great.

Cataboo
04-20-2009, 08:55 AM

I actually walked around my neighborhood for the first time a couple of weeks ago (yeah, I've been living here more than a year, but I'm always in my car or on my bike...)

And was surprised to find a nice dry creekbed that went underneath a culvert to a nice old stone farmhouse....

went another direction and found some terrain that I think would be great for me to bring my mountain bike and practice basic bike handling skills, find a log to practice riding over, etc.

divingbiker
04-20-2009, 09:27 AM
And, there definitely seem to be more dining options up in Easton (http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=restaurants,+easton+md&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&view=text&ei=2ZfsSeuYMKWKtgOC5oXjAQ&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=1&ct=more-results&cd=1). Do folks staying down in Cambridge want to drive up to Easton for our TE dinner Saturday evening, or should we try to find something from the slimmer pickings down around Cambridge?

Does everyone like Mexican food? Plaza Tapatia (http://www.plazatapatia.com/index.php) in Easton looks like the best option for finding vegan food.

I've asked one of my coworkers who has a house in St. Michaels to find out if there are other vegetarian-friendly restaurants in Easton, but Plaza Tapatia would be fine with me. Mmmmm, veggie fajitas...

Kalidurga
04-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Does everyone like Mexican food? Plaza Tapatia (http://www.plazatapatia.com/index.php) in Easton looks like the best option for finding vegan food.

Their menu sounds pretty tasty. And it looks like they have a location in Cambridge, as well, so we could always decide later which town works better logistically.

Too bad they don't do breakfast... ;)

divingbiker
04-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Their menu sounds pretty tasty. And it looks like they have a location in Cambridge, as well, so we could always decide later which town works better logistically.

Too bad they don't do breakfast... ;)

Well, heck, I vote for going to the one in Cambridge then!

Tam, you could take a shower and change in our room after kayaking, then head back to Easton after dinner to minimize driving if you want.

Kalidurga
04-20-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm not the quickest shower-taker in the world, so I don't know if you want me tying up your bathroom. It's about 25 minutes between Easton and Cambridge. I could always just sit there and be sweaty ;)

Let's get a few more votes from folks, especially since no one else has commented on the restaurant. Do we even know yet who's interested in getting together for dinner?

7rider
04-20-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm not the quickest shower-taker in the world, so I don't know if you want me tying up your bathroom. It's about 25 minutes between Easton and Cambridge. I could always just sit there and be sweaty ;)

If that's our options....I'd say "Go ahead and shower. We'll wait!" ;)

I'm always up for dinner. Mexican is fine.

withm
04-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Great!

Sounds like a plan. I sooooo hope it doesn't rain this year!

Martha

withm
04-20-2009, 07:20 PM

I've asked one of my coworkers who has a house in St. Michaels to find out if there are other vegetarian-friendly restaurants in Easton, but Plaza Tapatia would be fine with me. Mmmmm, veggie fajitas...

Annette has a friend that has a place in Cambridge, and is going to ask for restaurant recommendations. I asked her specifically about vegetarian options.

Mexican is ok (not my favorite but I can put up with it a couple times a year.)

Zen
04-20-2009, 07:29 PM
Annette has a friend that has a place in Cambridge, and is going to ask for restaurant recommendations.

I'd like to wait and hear about that. Mexican will do in a pinch.

Kalidurga
04-21-2009, 07:15 AM
I sooooo hope it doesn't rain this year!

At the moment, it sounds as if that weekend's forecast is going to be almost, kinda, sorta the opposite of last year: http://www.accuweather.com/us/md/easton/21601/forecast3.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipchg=1&metric=0. Time for us all to cross our fingers and do a non-rain dance.

Zen
04-21-2009, 08:45 AM
I will do the Hully Gully (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hully_Gully)

withm
04-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Annette has a friend that has a place in Cambridge, and is going to ask for restaurant recommendations. I asked her specifically about vegetarian options.

Mexican is ok (not my favorite but I can put up with it a couple times a year.)

Annette's friend with a house in Cambridge turns out to be a vegetarian and said she would send her some Cambridge restaurant suggestions - hopefully tomorrow. I will post them as soon as she sends them on to me.

Martha

Cataboo
04-24-2009, 05:13 PM
I got an email that there were a few spots open - so I registered myself & my friend Julie this morning. Time to look for lodging.

I'll probably be bringing a couple of kayaks to go kayaking on Saturday, so I'll look at the maps to see where you guys are going.

Kalidurga
04-26-2009, 03:51 PM
I got out and paddled for a bit this afternoon on the Monocacy. It was absolutely gorgeous on the water. I'm not liking the Saturday weather forecast for Cambridge, though, so I'm having second thoughts about paddling that day...

Zen, need to kick that hully gully into high gear.

withm
04-26-2009, 08:01 PM
I paddled today in the Assawoman Canal - with a slight breeze and canopy of trees over top we didn't even notice the 90o temps! By the time I got home the thermometer in my BR window said 100. Yikes!

I have to go to a funeral in DC on Saturday, but will probably go to Cambridge on Friday anyway. I'll miss the paddling, but ought to be back to Cambridge Sat evening for dinner (I hope).

Weather is showing some rain around the end of the week, but really you can't put much more than 50% on that forecast this far in advance. I'm planning on it being a beautiful day on Sunday and I'm just going to make it happen. :)

What's that they say? A bad day on a bike is still better than a good day at work. Works for me.

Still waiting on the veggie restaurant suggestions. I sent a gentle reminder...

Kalidurga
04-27-2009, 03:08 AM
Weather is showing some rain around the end of the week, but really you can't put much more than 50% on that forecast this far in advance. I'm planning on it being a beautiful day on Sunday and I'm just going to make it happen. :)

I'm an avid forecast checker, I can't help it. Can you make it a beautiful day on Saturday, too, even though you won't be with us that afternoon? (Sorry to hear about your reason, by the way :( )

Cataboo
04-27-2009, 06:50 AM
I got out and paddled for a bit this afternoon on the Monocacy. It was absolutely gorgeous on the water. I'm not liking the Saturday weather forecast for Cambridge, though, so I'm having second thoughts about paddling that day...

Zen, need to kick that hully gully into high gear.

Where do you paddle on the monocacy? It always seems so shallow & I hate feeling bottom drag when paddling.

Kalidurga
04-27-2009, 07:10 AM
I went down to Monocacy Aqueduct and paddled up to the rte 28 bridge. With the rain we've had lately, the river was at 4 feet or so, so it was easy. Only downside was that it was also a tad muddy. So much nicer when the water's clear.

I've been wanting to do more of the Monocacy, but haven't found a put-in spot I like as much as that one (nearby toilet or porta-john is a must). I have a plastic boat so I don't worry about dragging the bottom. If it's too shallow to skootch through, I'll get out and pull the boat over rocks, sand, whatever.

If you're ever interested in doing a shuttled paddle of the Monoc, let me know :D

Cataboo
04-27-2009, 07:17 AM
I went down to Monocacy Aqueduct and paddled up to the rte 28 bridge. With the rain we've had lately, the river was at 4 feet or so, so it was easy. Only downside was that it was also a tad muddy. So much nicer when the water's clear.

I've been wanting to do more of the Monocacy, but haven't found a put-in spot I like as much as that one (nearby toilet or porta-john is a must). I have a plastic boat so I don't worry about dragging the bottom. If it's too shallow to skootch through, I'll get out and pull the boat over rocks, sand, whatever.

If you're ever interested in doing a shuttled paddle of the Monoc, let me know :D

Sure - not this weekend though, maybe next or some evening after work.

I've down a shuttle on the Potomac a few times - leave a car down at White's Ferry, and then put in up above Point of Rocks (I know I've been further north on it, but I can't remember where I put in) and paddle down. It just kinda sucks when the water gets 2 feet deep with lots of water plants slowing you down.

My boat's plastic as well.

Kalidurga
04-27-2009, 07:28 AM
That sounds like a nice trip. I've yet to do the Potomac anywhere above White's Ferry. My plan yesterday was to head up to Point of Rocks or Brunswick, but I ended up at the aqueduct instead because it's close to home. There's also a group that paddles up'n'back out of Shepherdstown and I've been wanting to meet up with them as well.

Between the bike and the 'yak, there's just too many places and not enough time!

withm
04-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Here is the list I got from Annette's friend. I think I've been to some but not sure which was which. They all kind of run together for me. It's possible that one of these was the one that some did not like last year, but I can't remember where we went so I am no help here. She says vegetarian, but does not go so far as to say vegan.

So, here's the list:

Here are some restaurants in Cambridge, MD.
We have dined at these and recommend them. There are no "strictly vegetarian" restaurants, but they all offer vegetarian fare on the menu. In addition to the Hyatt (which we haven't yet been), here are 6 nice restaurants in Cambridge.

Snappers Waterfront Cafe
112 Commerce Street
http://www.snapperswaterfrontcafe.com/

Portside Seafood Restaurant
201 Trent Street
www.portsideseafood.com

Bella Luna
305 High Street
(brand new, reasonably priced, and some veggie panini's on menu)
http://www.bellalunarestaurant.net/index_cambridge.html

Bistro Poplar
535 Poplar Street
www.bistropoplar.com
(French cuisine, downtown, and pricey)

Canvasback Pub
420 Race Street
no web site (nice cozy, downtown, pub atmosphere)

Clearview at Horn's Point
5650 Clearview Way
http://www..clearviewathornspoint.com/
(on a golf course, excellent food, gorgeous views)

Kalidurga
04-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Snapper's Waterfront Cafe is where we ate last year. The words "reasonably priced" are very attractive to me these days, so I'd be inclined to vote for any place that includes them in the description.

Cataboo
04-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Okay - I'm lazy & don't want to read this 11 page thread again - the roads looked pretty good in the pictures that WithM posted a while back - but how's the ride in terms of wind? As in, do I really not want deep dish wheels on?

Kalidurga
04-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Hard to say. Last year was very windy for part of the ride, but it was also the first year so there's no history beyond that to judge whether it might be the same this time. You may want to take a good look at the weather reports before packing up your bike.

Cataboo
04-27-2009, 12:39 PM
I think I'll just swap my wheels out for some non-aero ones. My friend thinks she's going to do this on her mountain bike instead of borrowing one of my road bikes... so I doubt I'll be going all that fast anyways. It should be a fun ride irregardless.

I'm hoping I can convince her to at least borrow my surly, it's an upright ride and she's basically my size. It'll be a little faster than a mountain bike. At the very least, I'm putting slicks on her mountain bike.

divingbiker
04-28-2009, 05:47 AM
So, do we have a plan?

I'll throw this out for starters:

--Meet in the parking lot at the Holiday Inn Express at 11:30am (or do we want to meet earlier?
--Caravan over to the put-in on Drawbridge Rd (there is no upstream/downstream to worry about according to Susan at Blackwater Pedal & Paddle--it's totally flat water.)
--Bring your lunch with you, or eat before we go.
--Paddle for 1.5 hours or so, then turn around and go back.
--Go to our hotels and clean up, then meet for dinner around 6--dinner location TBD (thanks for scouting out the options, Martha.)

Becky
04-28-2009, 06:26 AM
Piggybacking on Catriona's wheels question here:

What do people recommend for gearing? I understand that it's wicked flat down there, so I was thinking of swapping my 12-25 for a straight block cassette.

Kalidurga
04-28-2009, 06:49 AM
So, do we have a plan?

--Meet in the parking lot at the Holiday Inn Express at 11:30am (or do we want to meet earlier?
--Caravan over to the put-in on Drawbridge Rd (there is no upstream/downstream to worry about according to Susan at Blackwater Pedal & Paddle--it's totally flat water.)
--Go to our hotels and clean up, then meet for dinner around 6--dinner location TBD (thanks for scouting out the options, Martha.)

That all sounds good to me (weather permitting).

Cataboo
04-28-2009, 07:00 AM

What do people recommend for gearing? I understand that it's wicked flat down there, so I was thinking of swapping my 12-25 for a straight block cassette.

I'm thinking I don't need a triple or a compact double.

Becky
04-28-2009, 07:09 AM
I'm thinking I don't need a triple or a compact double.

The compact double is going to stay simply because I don't own a standard, but I can't imagine that I'll spend much time in the small ring.

withm
04-28-2009, 07:21 AM
So, do we have a plan?

I'll throw this out for starters:

This plan sounds great. Except for the part that I will be missing the paddling part, and don't know if I'll make it back in time for dinner. :( I have a funeral and reception in DC - and as long as I get out of there by 3:30-4 ish I should be OK to meet up with you somewhere.

I have a reservation for Fri night as well, and IF the weather is good, was going to go over and ride some Friday afternoon. If it's raining, I may cancel the motel for Friday. Is anyone else going over on Friday?

Martha

withm
04-28-2009, 07:27 AM
The compact double is going to stay simply because I don't own a standard, but I can't imagine that I'll spend much time in the small ring
and

Originally Posted by Becky

I'm thinking I don't need a triple or a compact double..

You guys are scaring me. The route is very flat but if there is any kind of wind in the 10-15kt range (and that is likely) you will notice it. The ride is generally a loop - so you will feel the wind at some point. If it's variable - it will be from all directions. But changing cassettes, wheels, or gearing sounds like a lot of work to me. It's just a ride with 700 of your closest friends. :)

Becky
04-28-2009, 07:47 AM
You guys are scaring me. The route is very flat but if there is any kind of wind in the 10-15kt range (and that is likely) you will notice it. The ride is generally a loop - so you will feel the wind at some point. If it's variable - it will be from all directions. But changing cassettes, wheels, or gearing sounds like a lot of work to me. It's just a ride with 700 of your closest friends. :)

That's good info about the wind- thanks! That may help me decide between shorts and knickers too. The last forecast I saw was for high 60s and partly sunny.

As for the cassette change, I'll probably mindlessly change it in front of the TV some night this week- no big deal. My recent experiences with uber-flat riding were in the C&D Canal area, and I remember feeling like I couldn't find the right cog to keep a steady cadence.

Cataboo
04-28-2009, 07:48 AM

*cough*

The scary part is that I've got 3 road bikes, one has a compact double, one has a standard double, one has a triple. As for swapping casettes, all I really have to do is take a set off one bike and move it to the other bike.

Actually, all my casettes are either 11-25 and I've got 1 12-26, so I can't reall change all that much with that. But if there's wind, I'm not taking deep dish wheels.

So it's not really work.

7rider
04-28-2009, 09:27 AM
Eepers. :eek: I won't be changing out any gearing on my bike for this ride. I run a compact with a 12-25, whether I'm doing a pancake-flat ride on the eastern shore, or the Civil War Century with it's brutal climbing.
Maybe when I change out the cassette, I'll see if I can get a 11-26 on it. But then, I'll run a compact with a 11-26 on all my rides - pancake flat, or hilly. And the same wheels, too. Some things, I try not to over-think.
Maybe someday, I'll put a standard crank back on the old bike, and if I put a 11-26 on that, I'll keep that as my "hammer on the flats" bike, and keep the new bike as my climber. Oh, geez. There I go.

DB...your schedule sounds fine to me.

Cataboo
04-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Eepers. :eek: I won't be changing out any gearing on my bike for this ride. I run a compact with a 12-25, whether I'm doing a pancake-flat ride on the eastern shore, or the Civil War Century with it's brutal climbing.
Maybe when I change out the cassette, I'll see if I can get a 11-26 on it. But then, I'll run a compact with a 11-26 on all my rides - pancake flat, or hilly. And the same wheels, too. Some things, I try not to over-think.
Maybe someday, I'll put a standard crank back on the old bike, and if I put a 11-26 on that, I'll keep that as my "hammer on the flats" bike, and keep the new bike as my climber. Oh, geez. There I go.

DB...your schedule sounds fine to me.

see. You need 2 more road bikes.

I just got the 12-26 for my standard double, to make it a little easier on hills. Supposedly it's the same as running a 11-25 on a compact double, but the BF ran the math & I didn't... so I'm not convinced yet.

I do really like a 53 on flats, and my standard double bike's the only one with a 53 at this point.

A lot of this stuff was decided before the litespeed came along, so now I gotta redecide everything. I've got deep carbon wheels on my carbon road bike, and I get blown around in the wind on that thing like dorothy in a twister. Well, not literally, but enough that I find it freaky riding on roads with no shoulders with cars passing me in the wind. so I have a set of wheels to swap onto it when it's windy.

Becky
04-28-2009, 11:04 AM

Oooo....thanks for the reminder! I just registered DH and I for the CWC. I may actually shoe-horn a 12-28 on the bike for that ride!

Cataboo
04-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Oooo....thanks for the reminder! I just registered DH and I for the CWC. I may actually shoe-horn a 12-28 on the bike for that ride!

I could use my triple!

I haven't registered for that ride - but it's sorta in my back yard, so maybe I should just get the routes and ride them myself on weekends.

Becky
04-28-2009, 11:20 AM
I could use my triple!

I haven't registered for that ride - but it's sorta in my back yard, so maybe I should just get the routes and ride them myself on weekends.

For this ride, I might consider putting one on!

If you can find cue sheets, let me know. I'd love to meet up with you for a practice run.

Cataboo
04-28-2009, 11:27 AM
For this ride, I might consider putting one on!

If you can find cue sheets, let me know. I'd love to meet up with you for a practice run.

I ride around there on Saturdays, if you ever want to. I won't claim to be really really fast going up hills, so if nothing else, I'll make you look good and boost your biking confidence.

I think 7rider's done these rides before, maybe she already has the cue sheets?

Becky
04-28-2009, 11:30 AM
I ride around there on Saturdays, if you ever want to. I won't claim to be really really fast going up hills, so if nothing else, I'll make you look good and boost your biking confidence.

I usually work Saturdays :( Are Sundays ever a possibility? Also, I'm always willing to play hooky from work on a Friday :D

Zen
04-28-2009, 11:31 AM

Holler at me if you want company.
Or at least somebody to meet up with after you rest at the top of the hills ;)

I probaby have a cue sheet for the 25 mile route.
There are probably cue sheets for similar routes on the Frederick Pedalers website.

Cataboo
04-28-2009, 11:32 AM
I usually work Saturdays :( Are Sundays ever a possibility? Also, I'm always willing to play hooky from work on a Friday :D

Oh well, I'm willing to duck out early on a Friday (any excuse not to work)

Sundays can work, I just have to ditch my mother & brother. I usually stop in and do a bunch of chores for them, get nagged, and get home cooked food. But I can shift them to a Saturday night.

Cataboo
04-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Holler at me if you want company.
Or at least somebody to meet up with after you rest at the top of the hills ;)

I have good intentions on hills. It just lasts about 3/4th the way up some of those hills - I got out of the habit over the winter, so they're a bit more challenging than they were.

On a sunny weekday, I usually go riding for a couple hours at about 5:00... if you ever wanna come with, pm or give me a call. weekends I try to get out earlier. I tend to go out towards the Mountaindale area or cross 15 - but you can demonstrate how to bike through town without busting yourself up for me.

I was biking over that side of 15 the other weekend and found the most agonizingly uphill road. I can't remember the name, but I do think it eventually went down to LeGore bridge or I shortly thereafter made a turn to end up going down to that bridge.

Becky
04-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Oh well, I'm willing to duck out early on a Friday (any excuse not to work)

Sundays can work, I just have to ditch my mother & brother. I usually stop in and do a bunch of chores for them, get nagged, and get home cooked food. But I can shift them to a Saturday night.

Cool! I'll try to meet up with you Sunday at the Wild Goose chase so we can at least put names and faces together. Maybe we can plan a TE ride for some weekend after that?

Cataboo
04-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Cool! I'll try to meet up with you Sunday at the Wild Goose chase so we can at least put names and faces together. Maybe we can plan a TE ride for some weekend after that?

K, I PM'd you my cell phone #, if it works out there, you should be able to find me.

I'll probably be kayaking somewhere on Saturday, I'm not sure if I'll be off the water by 6 pm to meet you guys for dinner or not - I'm thinking I'll go over into blackwater refuge & do some of the paddling water trails - but I guess I should look at what group paddling trips people are doing through Terry and try to avoid those areas.

7rider
04-28-2009, 12:14 PM

I've done the century once (and abandoned once). I don't think I have the cue-sheets, however. They probably ended up as a sweaty, torn mess in my back jersey pocket and got tossed at the end of the ride. Check out the profile from the 2008 ride (http://www.baltobikeclub.org/uploads/images/6oGS-ERw8KJhdfFG_EVJPw/CWCProfile2008.bmp). That 10.8% grade at mile 60? That's about where my IT band finally had enough (which is why I'm wearing that white brace on the Seagull in my avatar picture). I managed to make it to mile 75's rest stop.....and see how nice and flat it is after that???? I didn't get to enjoy any of it. :( Sat in the back of a minivan the rest of the way back to the start. But I'm not bitter.....no siree....

You can check out the maps here (http://www.baltobikeclub.org/index.pl/cwcmaps).
I don't see cue-sheets listed for any ride except this 27.5 mile training ride (http://www.baltobikeclub.org/uploads/images/V6nyDeZ6U3XIq8xLKjZXPQ/CWC_Practice_Cue_-_2008.pdf).
I don't know what that's like however.

Cataboo
04-28-2009, 12:17 PM
That cue sheet has 2 5 mile sections that are marked climb on them.

I'm not convinced I want to climb for 5 miles at a time twice.

divingbiker
04-28-2009, 12:37 PM
I've got the cue sheets for the Civil War Century from several years ago. Four rides--50.8, 63.4, 77.3, and 104.9 mile routes.

I can make copies and bring them to the goose chase if you want. Let me know.

Becky
04-28-2009, 05:12 PM
5 mile climbs! Holy cow- I've got my work cut out for me! (and I'm beginning to question my sanity :eek:)

I've got the cue sheets for the Civil War Century from several years ago. Four rides--50.8, 63.4, 77.3, and 104.9 mile routes.

I can make copies and bring them to the goose chase if you want. Let me know.

That would be great- thanks!

amithereyet
04-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Look for the person on the red folding bike with 20" wheels & snakeskin tires who is huffing & puffing on the 25-ish mile route. It will be me.

Just promise not to kick sand, or mud, or garbage in my face as you fly by on your road bikes.

Zen
04-28-2009, 06:09 PM
You know I'll ride with you, Ann.
I'm nursing an injury anyway:(

Cataboo
04-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Injury? I hope it's not too bad.

Zen
04-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Shin splints that escalated into acute tendonitis. I should be OK by Sunday.

Becky
04-29-2009, 01:37 AM
I hope that you're feeling better soon, Zen!

Cataboo
04-29-2009, 07:18 AM
Okay, Becky & I've been talking about how to recognize each other at the ride...

I'm probably going to be either on the 25 or 43 mile ride (depending on what my friend's up to - I'm hoping the latter, but I don't want to kill her).

and I think I'll wear my Oscar the grouch jersey just because it's the most distinctive jersey I have.

I'll probably be on my litespeed, which looks like this & that's my car in the background:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_qnxyEZuNEmk/Sfci2Y-kfFI/AAAAAAAAGHc/f2J-Q5hkxpc/s720/IMGP3357.JPG

Just in case my friend decides to borrow a road bike - I'll stick her on the litespeed or the flaming surly if she wants to go flat bar, and I'll ride my carbon bike if she wants to ride the litespeed.

Carbon bike looks like this, but I won't be taking those spinergy wheels with me:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_qnxyEZuNEmk/Sc7o627Q49I/AAAAAAAAFT8/IihAZihFiW4/s720/IMGP3205.JPG

Becky
04-29-2009, 07:37 AM
I don't have any pics of my Bianchi, but it's ruby-colored with a chrome fork and is pretty distinctive. The car is a silver Outback wagon. DH and the dog are coming along to hang out- the husband is a big guy, and the dog is goofy, friendly, and looks mostly like a chocolate lab. I figure a guy with a dog is easier to spot than me, just another chick in cycling clothes ;)

Haven't decided what I'm wearing yet. Probably my lime green and turquoise Pearl Izumi jersey, which will almost certainly be covered by a vest or jacket in the morning.

I should tape something to my helmet like we did for the 5 Boro bike tour ;)

EDIT: My frame looks just like this one: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/KevMann/ebay010.jpg

EDIT #2: Oh yeah, which route...I'm doing the metric.

7rider
04-29-2009, 07:59 AM
Look for Janice and me beside my black Escape with 2 kayaks on the roof.
Gads...I may have to trade it in for a Subbie wagon to keep up with you folks. What is that, 4 or 5 amongst the TE-DC ladies?? If I had a trailer for the Escape, I'd bring our new (old) canoes that just got dropped off at our house today for anyone who wants to paddle. We are now the owners of a 17' Grumman aluminum square-ender canoe with both electric and gas trolling motors, and a 15' kevlar ultralight weight canoe who's make I don't recall. And nowhere to store them. :rolleyes:

I'll be doing the metric WGC on a naked ti and carbon Seven ID8 (http://www.sevencycles.com/road_detail.php?bike=id8), and I'll likely be wearing the Terry dragonfly jersey (http://www.terrybicycles.com/product/detail/1958/current/breakaway-mesh-jersey), as Erica and I will be both riding bikes that *used to be called* Odonata, which is the family name for dragonflies, and is a much cooler name than "ID8". We'll be Terry twinsies until she gets a proper BPVC (http://www.thebicycleplace.com/ride_with_us/index.html)jersey :rolleyes: for club rides.

Cataboo
04-29-2009, 08:02 AM
I'm short - the sooobie wagon is about the maximum that I can put things on the roof. At 5'1, getting a kayak on an SUV's not something that I want to deal with. I have to stand on the wheel wells of the soobie or in the door to tie the kayaks up as it is.

But my sooobie'll have a 16 foot blue kayak & a 17 foot white one on top of it.

Cataboo
04-29-2009, 08:03 AM
EDIT: My frame looks just like this one: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/KevMann/ebay010.jpg

that color's beautiful.

Zen
04-29-2009, 08:03 AM
No one is gonna be able to keep track of what everyones bike looks like.

I say if you have an AV jersey, wear it. Otherwise it's raccoon tails on your helmet.

Cataboo
04-29-2009, 08:11 AM

I say if you have an AV jersey, wear it. Otherwise it's raccoon tails on your helmet.

You will if I put a flame sticker on my litespeed.

Becky
04-29-2009, 08:21 AM

I don't have an AV jersey or a raccoon tail ;)

Cataboo
04-29-2009, 08:35 AM

I only have 1 flame sticker left, so I can't help you there either.

7rider
04-29-2009, 08:46 AM

But you got the Subbie wagon, so you're still good!

Zen
04-29-2009, 08:50 AM
A sea of Subaru wagons.
Yeah, she'll stand out.

Becky
04-29-2009, 08:57 AM
LOL!

What is it with outdoor peoples and Subaru wagons? This one is #4 for me and DH- I think we're addicted :)

Zen, I'm just gonna have to go beg, borrow, or steal a racoon tail tonight :D

Zen
04-29-2009, 10:12 AM
My ponytail looks like a raccoon tail (or some kind of animal) but I'll have an AV jersey for good measure

Kalidurga
04-29-2009, 10:57 AM
Janice, do you still have the Team Estrogen sign you made last year?

divingbiker
04-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Janice, do you still have the Team Estrogen sign you made last year?

No, that bit the dust in the rain last year.

withm
04-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Do we have a list of all the TE's that are doing this ride?

Why don't we just try to park "near the cars with kayaks" - perhaps at the far end of the parking lot to allow room for all us to try to park in some proximity to each other, and stick a TE sign in the rear window of one of these many Suburus? Could just print the TE logo on 8-1/2 x 11 paper, stick it in a page protector and scotch tape it to inside rear window, or hang it from a kayak like a red flag.

There will be 700 women there with nice bikes and colorful jerseys. Finding one another will be impossible without a plan. Unless of course one does not want to be found. :)

Anyone want to take a stab at making a list?

I'm planning on the 43 mile ride (unless it's raining)
IF Annette comes (maybe not... she is sick) - she will do 10 or 25 miles.
If she decides not to come I can sell her registration to someone else - anyone have a friend that wants to ride? I think she will decide tonight.

Have we got a consensus on the restaurant for Sat evening?
Is anyone going to be there Friday evening and want to go to dinner?

Martha

Kalidurga
04-29-2009, 12:11 PM
I would bet that there are also going to be quite a few cars with kayaks, so it'll still be tricky. This is what I think we have so far, but it's been hard to keep up--

Kayaking on Saturday:
KD (Though I will bail out if the chance of thunderstorms persists. I'll call DB if I'm not 'yakking.)
DB
7Rider
Erica ??
(Add your name here)

Dinner Saturday evening, location still TBD:
KD
DB
7Rider
Erica ??
Zen
Withm (time permitting?)
(Add your name here)

Riding on Sunday:
KD (43 miles unless the weather's crappy, then 25 miles)
DB (43 miles)
7Rider & Erica (Metric)
Zen
Withm (43 miles unless it's raining)
Annette (??)
Catriona
Becky
Amitheryet
(Add your name here)

Cataboo
04-29-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure I'm going to be over there in time for kayaking with you guys - my friend's driving up from Richmond, then we're heading on over after I tweak her bike or convince her to borrow mine. If she wants to ride her mountain bike, I'm at least putting slicks on it, and changing the stem for her 'cause she's been complaining about that & handlebar height, and pumping up the front fork so that she doesn't loose too much power to it.

So depending on all that, I may not get over there before 11:30 to meet you guys for kayaking, so then we'll just kayak on our own... if we go on our own, we might not be off the water by 6. So if I show up for dinner or kayaking's sorta up in the air.

so if she takes her mountain bike, I'm assuming we're not going to ride much more than the 25 mile ride (at least I surely wouldn't want to ride 25 miles on a mountain bike). The 43 & 25 mile ride is the same for the first 10 miles, so we'll do those 10 miles and then decide which route we're taking.

7rider
04-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Erica is doing a day-trip on Sunday a.m.
She won't join us for kayaking or dinner.

Zen
04-29-2009, 02:41 PM
I will somehow affix a meager sign and an American flag to the Mothership.

For those unfamiliar with the Mothership it's a white Toyota van.

Kalidurga
04-29-2009, 04:15 PM
You have a new Mothership? I thought it was silver/pale blue/something like that...

divingbiker
04-30-2009, 02:30 AM
It's a no-go on copying the Civil War Century cue sheets. They're printed on dark colored paper and turn into a dark grey unreadable mess when I try to copy them.

Weather is looking iffy for Saturday and Sunday. Will have to make a call about kayaking tomorrow, I guess.

7rider
04-30-2009, 03:01 AM
It's a no-go on copying the Civil War Century cue sheets. They're printed on dark colored paper and turn into a dark grey unreadable mess when I try to copy them.

Weather is looking iffy for Saturday and Sunday. Will have to make a call about kayaking tomorrow, I guess.

DB - if you give them to me, maybe I can scan them on my printer. I can adjust the settings a bit to correct for that darkness when I create PDFs.

Yeah, I saw 50% probability of rain both days. Blech. But hey, I once kayaked in a hail storm. Of course, we had a bridge to hide under...but it was really cool.

Kalidurga
04-30-2009, 03:16 AM
Rain or hail is one thing, but they're calling for thunderstorms on Saturday and swinging paddles around when there might be lightning could be sketchy. The Potomac River Paddlers have even canceled their outing for this weekend, and those folks paddle throughout the winter.

I'm just glad to see that Sunday's apparently going to be (a bit) warmer than last year, with apparently no wind. I've recently acquired fenders and a rain jacket, so I'm ready to give this riding in the rain thing a go.

Becky
04-30-2009, 04:02 AM
Ugh....rain....

I wonder where I can buy a set of SKS Race Blades around here.... If worse comes to worse, I may bring the fendered commuter instead :/

divingbiker
04-30-2009, 05:49 AM
Hmmm...hadn't thought about bringing the bike with fenders, but that's a possibility. It would be much slower, but what the heck.

Kalidurga
04-30-2009, 06:17 AM
DB, if there's rain are you still planning to do the 43?

divingbiker
04-30-2009, 07:40 AM
DB, if there's rain are you still planning to do the 43?

If it's raining, and I bring the fendered bike, I'm more likely to do the 25ish ride, but if the temperature is warm enough I might do 43. Kinda depends on how early a start I get. I don't want Regina to finish her metric hours before I lumber in on the Glorius.

7rider
04-30-2009, 07:56 AM
If it's raining, and I bring the fendered bike, I'm more likely to do the 25ish ride, but if the temperature is warm enough I might do 43. Kinda depends on how early a start I get. I don't want Regina to finish her metric hours before I lumber in on the Glorius.

That reminds me...what time do you want to get there on Sunday a.m.?
Erica just texted me: she's leaving the house at 5 a.m.! :eek: and plans to be there to ride for 7:30. I was sort of envisioning 8ish.

Zen
04-30-2009, 08:16 AM
Weather be damned!
I'm going road bike fenderless.
Danger is my business.

Kalidurga
04-30-2009, 08:23 AM
If it's raining, and I bring the fendered bike, I'm more likely to do the 25ish ride, but if the temperature is warm enough I might do 43. Kinda depends on how early a start I get.

Erica just texted me: she's leaving the house at 5 a.m.! :eek: and plans to be there to ride for 7:30. I was sort of envisioning 8ish.

Ugh. I was going to try to ride with you this time around, but 8:00am... And I've gotta drive down from Easton... Maybe Coach Erica can stop at my motel and roust me out of bed.

(Just kidding, I'll be there ;) )

Becky
04-30-2009, 08:40 AM

Rolling at 7:30? That works, but let me know what you decide. I'm still hoping to meet up with you guys.

I can roll anytime- it's not like the dogbeast will let us sleep in. I need to figure out how long it will take to drive from Easton to Cambridge.

Kalidurga, where are you staying in Easton?

divingbiker
04-30-2009, 09:44 AM

What's the rush? It's a weekend, for god's sake. I'd rather start at 8, or even 8:30 if Tam wants to. I can ride down to the high school if you want to drive over earlier, Regina.

Kalidurga
04-30-2009, 10:22 AM
Kalidurga, where are you staying in Easton?

I'm booked at the Days Inn (http://www.orbitz.com/App/ViewSpecificHotelLP?masterId=27689&oe_id=HTLRESPURC&WT.dcsvid=42462160&WT.mc_ev=emailclick). I did a Google directions thingie and it said the travel time from Easton to Cambridge is 25 minutes. I'd add 5-10 to that to get to the high school in Cambridge, since it's a short ways back off of route 50.

7rider
04-30-2009, 11:08 AM
What's the rush? It's a weekend, for god's sake. I'd rather start at 8, or even 8:30 if Tam wants to. I can ride down to the high school if you want to drive over earlier, Regina.

I don't know what her rush is. :confused:
I sent her a reply and told her to take her time.
8 or so works for me. The "official" start time of the metric is 7:30, but you can start anytime, really.

short cut sally
04-30-2009, 02:10 PM
My riding partner and I are leaving my house at 3am on Sat. IF we drive straight thru, we should be there in 7 hours. Mind you, I will need several pit stops along the way, I have a weak bladder and a need for coffee....So we might make it there by noon-ish. We plan on riding and rolling around town, we are staying at the comfort inn btw..and because of the long trip home, we will start the ride at 7 or 730 on Sunday morning..

withm
04-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Bleahhh. OK Annette is not coming now. Too bad. I cancelled my motel for Friday night and will arrive Sat sometime prob between 4-7pm. I may not have internet after Fri night. So if either Zen or DB still has my cell # stored in their cell phones, can you give me a call and say where you are going for dinner and if I can join you at least I'll know where to go. Thanks

If the reception runs late, I guess I'll be dining at the Wawa. :eek:

Martha

withm
04-30-2009, 07:11 PM

Well they say 40% rain for the morning hours... which means 60% chance no rain. Still debating though bringing CF road bike, or dependable Portland bike with fenders and a trunk to stow the rain gear? Decisions, decisions. Oh and the gearing is the same for both of them. LOL. :D

Zen
04-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Bring that pretty Portland.
I probly do have your cell # but if you want to make sure PM it to me.

I'd ride the Mariposa but I've never ridden it long distance.
It's very tempting, though.

divingbiker
05-01-2009, 01:25 AM
So if either Zen or DB still has my cell # stored in their cell phones, can you give me a call and say where you are going for dinner and if I can join you at least I'll know where to go.

I've got it and will call you.

Kalidurga
05-01-2009, 03:24 AM
Well they say 40% rain for the morning hours... which means 60% chance no rain.

I'm seeing everything from a 50% chance to a 70% chance of rain and thunderstorms on Sunday, I have a feeling we're going to be wet.

Cataboo
05-01-2009, 03:33 AM
Why have I lacked the foresight to hook up an umbrella holder to my surly before?

Becky
05-01-2009, 04:13 AM
I'm seeing everything from a 50% chance to a 70% chance of rain and thunderstorms on Sunday, I have a feeling we're going to be wet.

:(

I think I've laid out about half of the cycling clothes I own....just cannot decide what's the right combination of warm and partially dry. I'm beginning to wish for a pair of those rain shorts that AlpineRabbit was talking about, if only to have a dry tush.

Does anyone know if there are showers available at the high school?

divingbiker
05-01-2009, 04:27 AM
If the Terry folks are smart, they'll bring a bunch of the Gore rain shorts (http://www.terrybicycles.com/gore/detail/2655/current/alp-x-rain-short). I'd buy a pair, since I've been eyeing them in their catalog for over a year now.

Becky
05-01-2009, 04:37 AM
You and me both!

I may hit the Goodwill tonight for a pair of rain pants to make into shorts....just in case.

Cataboo
05-01-2009, 05:15 AM
I have rain pants, I just have a feeling I won't be too comfortable cycling in them. I guess i can open the side vents.

Zen
05-01-2009, 05:16 AM
I have a large supply of Hefty bags and duct tape.

Kalidurga
05-01-2009, 05:22 AM
Well, at least it'll also be around 60o, so it'll be somewhat warm. I do remember a very large, multi-stall bathroom at the high school, but I don't recall whether it included showers.

divingbiker
05-01-2009, 10:08 AM
Tomorrow's forecast says 30% chance of rain and 70F. That sounds pretty good to me.

So it's just KD, 7, and me kayaking tomorrow? Still want to meet at 11:30 at the Holiday Inn Express parking lot?

Kalidurga
05-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Which forecast are you looking at? NOAA (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Washington&state=DC&site=LWX&textField1=38.895&textField2=-77.0373&e=1) is still saying 50% for thunderstorms and weather.com (http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/USMD0068?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared) is saying 60%, so I definitely like yours better.

So. Do I feel like wrestling the kayak out to the car that early in the morning for a 50-ish % chance of not being able to use it? Hmmm.....

divingbiker
05-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Which forecast are you looking at?

I looked at the hour-by-hour forecast at weather.com.

7rider
05-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Can't trust those NOAA forecasts! ;):rolleyes:

11:30 sounds great.
Google says it'll take 1:45 from your place to the HIEx, DB. What time do you want me to pick you up? 9-ish?

divingbiker
05-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Can't trust those NOAA forecasts! ;):rolleyes:

11:30 sounds great.
Google says it'll take 1:45 from your place to the HIEx, DB. What time do you want me to pick you up? 9-ish?

Sounds good.