PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Review: Selle Italia Shiver Gelflow

Andrea
07-28-2008, 02:13 PM
I am in the process of trying one of these- it's one of their MTB saddles, but I don't see why it wouldn't work as a road saddle...

Stats:
153mm wide (though the "sittable" part on top is a little narrower)
287mm long
265 grams
Cutout: "Gelflow" style that's somewhat moderate- wider than a terry butterfly or zero, but smaller than an SMP or even a Jett. (comes in a non-cutout version as well)
Cover: I'm a big fan of it- seems very tough and weather-resistant
Shape: It's worth a shot for you ladies that are looking for something with a wide back & a narrow nose
Padding: the only complaint I have- I like firm, and this saddle is a bit on the soft side. I hope they eventually release a non-gel version.

I don't know if it will end up working for me, but it's been one of my favorites so far. Worth a shot if that description sounds like something you're looking for.

Andrea
07-29-2008, 07:47 AM
It measures 1.5cm in the narrower part of the nose, 2.5cm in the middle part of the saddle where the nose turns into seat, and 3.5cm where the seat is the widest. It is a little wider still at the very back end of the saddle, but I figure that part's not too useful as far as cutouts go...

The Selle Italia website has good photos of it- but don't forget to look under "offroad" saddles.

lattae
07-29-2008, 01:28 PM
I looked at the website and the thing that caught my attention with the selle shiver is that it's totally waterproof. I've tried the selle italia gel flow and I always wear the saddle out due to the heat humidity/excess sweating... my saddle would always wear thin to a small hole on the side of the nose of it... so I'd be kinda interested in this one if it would last longer than a year of use...

emily_in_nc
07-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Wow, wish I'd seen that saddle when I was looking for a new one -- it looks and sounds perfect for me. Maybe next time!

Emily

VeloVT
07-29-2008, 06:23 PM
Im looking to also try the terry falcon x-- did you try one? It looks like selle italia has a lot of saddles that might work.

FYI/FWIW, Terry saddles are actually manufactured by Selle Italia.

Andrea
07-30-2008, 03:52 AM
If anyone's interested- I'll most likely be selling it in the near future. I'm not sure if it's the padding or just my backside being finicky as usual, but it's starting to chafe in the same area that Syndirelah mentioned- right along the border between the top of the thigh and the soft tissue...

I'm now officially naming that area the "Side Taint"
...because it 'taint your thigh, and it 'taint your labia....

I tried a Falcon X a long time ago, and had issues with the padding covering up the cutout (same problem with the Butterfly as well)

emily_in_nc
07-30-2008, 04:13 AM
If anyone's interested- I'll most likely be selling it in the near future. I'm not sure if it's the padding or just my backside being finicky as usual, but it's starting to chafe in the same area that Syndirelah mentioned- right along the border between the top of the thigh and the soft tissue...

I'm now officially naming that area the "Side Taint"
...because it 'taint your thigh, and it 'taint your labia....

Oooh, the dreaded Side Taint! I had a saddle sore there nearly a year. :eek: In my case I think it was from riding too narrow a saddle. Started with a Performance Womens Contour and moved to a SSM Atola. Both felt good in the sit bones but ended up putting too much pressure in the "Taint" area. When I measured my sit bones (using a yoga mat!) I determined that both saddles were too narrow (in the 140cm ish range width). Put an older Terry Butterfly on my mountain bike -- problem solved! Also bought a Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow for my road bike, but actually haven't tried it yet as I haven't gotten to road ride all summer for various reasons. It is similarly shaped to the Butterfly, tho, so I think it will work. It does have a blue leather cover, though, and I liked the waterproofness of the Shiver when I read your post, since I sweat on the leather saddles and leave dark discolorations.

I don't want to spend any more on saddles right now since I'm only riding once a week at the moment; otherwise I might buy the Shiver from you and give it a try...sorry it hasn't turned out to be perfect for you! :(

Here's to the continuing search for that elusive perfect saddle for each of us!

Emily