PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a cycling club Ft Lauderdale area

RedNBlondies
07-28-2008, 08:04 AM
I will be relocating to the Ft. Lauderdale area in August, and I was wondering if anyone might know of some good club for group rides. I'm a roadie, btw, if that helps any. I'm terrified of the humidity that you southeasterns seem to love. And also, how do you guys train your legs to climb out there, (when I've visited before it is beyond flat)? One of my goals is the Ride the Rockies tour, which I was training for when I lived in CO.

Thanks!

~Julie

Zen
07-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Google is your friend
http://www.bikeflorida.org/bicycle_clubs.htm

bouncybouncy
07-29-2008, 11:06 AM
I hate to tell you...but it is still flat!!!

http://www.southbrowardwheelers.com/index.cfm

Great group...lots of gatherings too! If you want to get a little dirty Club Mud has a fun fun womens crowd with a monthly flow ride!

:)

Pedal Wench
07-29-2008, 11:51 AM
I will be relocating to the Ft. Lauderdale area in August, and I was wondering if anyone might know of some good club for group rides. I'm a roadie, btw, if that helps any. I'm terrified of the humidity that you southeasterns seem to love. And also, how do you guys train your legs to climb out there, (when I've visited before it is beyond flat)? One of my goals is the Ride the Rockies tour, which I was training for when I lived in CO.

Thanks!

~Julie

My BF lives in Miami and we just did our fourth Ride the Rockies. I spend every weekend training on hills in Atlanta, and he consistently kicks my booty on the climbs. I'm convinced that S. Fla. headwinds are tougher than hills. Well, that and repeats on the causeways...

Seek out the headwinds.

ehirsch83
07-30-2008, 07:50 AM
Hey I am in Ft.Lauderdale and will be more then happy to ride with you! If you are looking for a social group that does slower long rides with social stops- check out the SouthBroward wheelers(link previously posted). There are also a few set group rides that go out most days of the week. On Wed. mornings there is a "no-drop" ride that goes out from Downtown BIcycles. We leave the shop at 6am and return around 7:30(about 25 miles usual speed is around 20mph). Tuesday and THursday there is a fast fast race pace ride that goes out from federal and commercial. Also on Saturday and Sunday there is a big group that leaves from A1A and commercial at 7:10. Most go to Boca and back, some go farther north. THe pace on this group is usually mid 20s, but there is usually a group off the back that goes slower. ummm and last weekend a new Sunday ride was started, it is at a slower pace (18-20)and is about a 2 hour ride. Let me know when it gets closer and I will help you out! Once the fall comes around, groups form for the ms150 ride to the keys, so that is also a great way to get in and ride with a group of people!