PDA

View Full Version : Red Bull

yellow
04-14-2005, 06:33 PM
OK, I thought I'd try a Red Bull before my usual ride today, just for grins and as intrigued by its use by others. I usually have a Crank E-Gel (said really fast: cranky gel...) before a ride and decided to replace that with a Red Bull.

I've always kind of been afraid of Red Bull...not sure why. It's not like I shy away from caffeine or sugar or even carbonated beverages. So I took the leap and bought some.

My usual ride is a hill ride, with between 1500 and 3000 feet of climbing, depending upon how far I go. I got off of work a little early today, so I decided to do the longer loop, which is about 25 miles (and about 3000').

I drank said beverage about a half hour before my ride. I found the taste much more pleasant than I thought it would be (mind you, I had no idea what it would taste like...) and the light carbonation nice. The mouthfeel reminded me a bit of champagne.

I was hating life for the first 6 miles or so. But I refrained from blaming it on the fact that I didn't have my cranky gel. Really, I was a little low on calories today, so I figured it was probably that.

Once I warmed up, I felt darn good. I was able to keep it above 5.5 mph on the hill that I normally average about 4.8 mph on. (Yes, that's right...4.8 mph. It's a steepie.) I never really even got close to a bonk. I finished the ride in about 1 hr 40 minutes, with an average 0.4 mph faster than the same ride on Tuesday. I had one bottle of weak Cytomax and one Jolly Rancher (cherry) whilst on the ride.

So I give it 5 chainrings (out of 5, using Kim's rating system), though I intend to continue experimenting. I'll let you know what happens when (and if!) I combine a cranky gel AND a Red Bull.

Veronica
04-14-2005, 06:43 PM
Kim turned me on to Red Bull. You can freeze it and bring it along for in the middle of a ride. I've only had a couple - in two years or so - blow up in the freezer. Costco is the cheapest place to get it, that I've found.

V.

aka_kim
04-15-2005, 06:52 AM
Mmm, sugar, caffeine, and B vitamins, what more could you want? Careful, Red Bull truly is addictive :).

Oh, and Yellow, just how steep is that hill that you ride at 5.5mph? Would the rest of us mortals (other than the Bike Goddess of course), have to walk it?

spazzdog
04-15-2005, 07:04 AM
what does it taste like?

fruity?

veggie-like (V8)?
coke?

spazz, who loves caffiene.

SadieKate
04-15-2005, 08:06 AM
Kim, if I remember right I made it up the hill which means you can fly it.

SK

PS - Yellow, we are talking about the hilll where we lost Moose (Robb), aren't we?

aka_kim
04-15-2005, 08:57 AM
...which means you can fly it.
And Red Bull does give you wings.

Taste? It has a flowery aroma, and light carbonation. But what does it taste like? I can't think of what to compare it to. Definitely not like veggie or fruit juice, nor colas.

spazzdog
04-15-2005, 10:40 AM
Margarita?

Lemon-tini?

Bourbon?

Beer?

:D spazz

SadieKate
04-15-2005, 11:00 AM
And Red Bull does give you wings.I'm not sure I call heart palpitations "wings." Have had 2 episodes of caffeine OD, one mtbikng, that have convinced me that bicycling and more than 1 soda or coffee per day don't mix. Yeow, that was scary. :eek:

Do they make a low-caffeine version? Pink Bull?

Bike Goddess
04-15-2005, 11:16 AM
Yellow- Please get that altimeter or whatever we call those measurement things we use on our bikes and give us the % grade. If you are doing it at 5.5 I can IMAGINE what a grind it must be for the rest of us. I'm about to do one of those nasty climbs next Tuesday up McEwen Road which I understand is pretty nasty on a bike (I've done it in a car only).

Of course, we could come up your way and climb along with you using this Red Bull stuff! I await further comments :p

Adventure Girl
04-15-2005, 11:20 AM
Do they make a low-caffeine version? Pink Bull?I do NOT do well with caffeine, either! I get very jittery and shakey. :eek:

Low-caffeine--Pink Bull!! :D I wish I had said that!!!

snapdragen
04-15-2005, 12:07 PM
I find it tastes like fizzy sweet tart candies. I prefer my caffeine in a Latte or Espresso, please ;)

Adventure Girl
04-15-2005, 12:12 PM
This may interest a few people here...

Red Bull + vodka.... Called a Red Alert. :eek:

Disclaimer: Not recommeded as a pre-ride pick-me-up.

SadieKate
04-15-2005, 12:18 PM
I find it tastes like fizzy sweet tart candies. I prefer my caffeine in a Latte or Espresso, please ;)

Peppermint mocha in the winter and iced latte in the summer! The cocoa bean is a vegetable and milk gives you your dairy. Sounds good to me. Calories probably don't even count is so nutritious.

spazzdog
04-15-2005, 12:39 PM
There's the AG I met and loved!

I knew you would have something in that tiara case of yours.

spazz (who wouldn't think of embibing an alcoholic beverage while biking... ) :D

sarah b.
04-15-2005, 12:40 PM
Liquid Pixie Stix. I've only had a Red Bull once but that's what it tasted like to me. The sweet tarts description is good, too.
-sarah b.

spazzdog
04-15-2005, 12:45 PM
This stuff is sounding good. I like Sweet Tarts. I like Pixie Sticks. Heck, I even like Kool Aid... hmmmm, carbonated Kool Aid.

Where is that BJ's card... ;)

aka_kim
04-15-2005, 01:40 PM
I'm about to do one of those nasty climbs next Tuesday up McEwen Road which I understand is pretty nasty on a bike (I've done it in a car only).
It is pretty nasty, but still doable. The very start is quite steep (15% maybe?), but it then levels off to, say 9-10%, and goes for about half a mile. You'll have no problem, Nancy, wings or not.

spazzdog
04-15-2005, 02:03 PM
OK... off the Red Bull topic (slightly) but:

How does one find out the grade of hills in the area? Is there a specific type of map or county dept I need to contact?

Then I'll know if I need a Red Bull...

(how's that for segueing back to topic?)

CorsairMac
04-15-2005, 02:04 PM
OK... off the Red Bull topic (slightly) but:

How does one find out the grade of hills in the area? Is there a specific type of map or county dept I need to contact?

Then I'll know if I need a Red Bull...

(how's that for segueing back to topic?)

are you riding a bike??...then ya need a Red Bull!

Corsair "no bull" Mac

SadieKate
04-15-2005, 02:14 PM
Spazz, there are a variety of ways. You can use an inclinometer, a computer with an altimeter, maps that report it, club myths, tall tales, fellow post-ride drinkers and other stories. Sometimes clubs will post elevation profiles for rides. All you need to know is distance and elevation change.

You could probably also go to topozone and check the elevation for various spots on the road and calculate the slope. I think there are threads on this subject over on cyclingforums and bikejournal where people have posted links to various mapping software on the internet where you might be able to look up altitiude and then just do a WAG for an entire ride.

For instance, we have a 10.6 miles mtb ride with a cumulative gain of 2,020 ft (per V's compooter). On the assumption that 1/2 of the ride is climbing, a WAG tells you that the average climb is 7.2%.

SadieKate
04-15-2005, 02:15 PM
If you don't want to do the math yourself . . . .

Slope Calculator (http://www.csgnetwork.com/inclinedeclinegradecalc.html)

spazzdog
04-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Okee-dokee!

First I buy a case of Red Bull (just in case).

Second I check out topozone (if I try to put one more piece of computer equipment on my bike, I'll have to learn to ride with no hands... all the time)

Third, I drink the Bull

Fourth I ride the hill.

spazz

SadieKate
04-15-2005, 02:39 PM
Okee-dokee!
Second I check out topozone (if I try to put one more piece of computer equipment on my bike, I'll have to learn to ride with no hands... all the time)
Don't need to: TopoZone (http://www.topozone.com)

Maybe all the caffeine and sugar will help you calculate really high impressive numbers. Yep, I can hear you now exclaiming that you climbed that 10 mile long, 19% grade in your big ring. Just takes another can of Bull.

Bike Goddess
04-15-2005, 03:56 PM
THANKS KIM! :cool: I have watched yellow jackets (our guys) disappear around the first bend and thought "Hmmmmm, when am I going to do this thing?" Since I'm doing Chico century I figure I might as well get a little more climbing in before I do Honey Run :D

yellow
04-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Re: taste...In my neophytic (is that a word?) opinion, it's fruity-sweet-tarty. But then Kim is right...I don't think there is anything out there that I would compare it to taste wise. I do coffee too and caffeine doesn't seem to affect me that much.

Re: the hill... it's steep, but not as steep as Slug Gulch or Snows Road (which I get the pleasure of riding tomorrow, apparently). I think it hits you like a bullet train because you've just spent 3-4 miles climbing, then you go around a steep and strangely banked corner (which slows you right down) and then you climb again for a bit. I don't know why, but this hill eats just about everyone I know. It's not as steep as some others in the area, though I hate it more than just about any other.

SK, yes it is the one that we lost Robb on.

I'll put my GPS on the bike tomorrow and let you know what Snow's is, assuming I don't melt into a big blob of I-don't-wanna before we get there (which could happen given that I haven't taken a rest day since Monday).

RoadRaven
04-17-2005, 12:03 PM
Hey there... I haven't been 'brave' enough to try Red bull yet either :rolleyes:

But, we do have something here called "V" which I like just before a race. I used to have "Mountain Dew" for the caffeine, but "V" (caffeine/guarana) i find gives me more of a 'rush' (if you will).

CorsairMac
04-17-2005, 04:28 PM
So I give it 5 chainrings (out of 5, using Kim's rating system), though I intend to continue experimenting. I'll let you know what happens when (and if!) I combine a cranky gel AND a Red Bull.

I know I'm a tad late on this - but I was just re-reading your post Yellow and it occurred to me: if you combine a Crank E-Gel and a Red Bull, wouldn't you end up with a Crank E-Bull?
Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound but don't wave anything red in front of her face!!! :p

spazzdog
04-17-2005, 06:00 PM
And fer god's sake, don't try to ride it!

you'll end up on the rodeo championships on a Crank-E-Bull.

yee-ha!

MomOnBike
04-18-2005, 08:54 AM
But, but, but think of your bull-riding score if you do manage to ride Crank-E-Bull!

Mom(formerly seamstress to Miss Rodeo Colorado)OnBike

yellow
04-18-2005, 11:37 AM
LOL! :p Hey! Maybe it'll be my next sport. Though I look like a dork in a cowboy hat and boots, and really, I've broken enough bones for multiple lifetimes.

Miss Rodeo Colorado? What did she wear????

I love it when these threads go bizarre...

spazzdog
04-18-2005, 11:44 AM
"American Flyers" became my favorite movie (about cycling) because of "David's" cowboy hat.

I love my cowboy hat... got it bent up just right. It won't fit over my helmet though so I can't wear mine on my bike like he did.

MomOnBike
04-18-2005, 03:56 PM
Miss Rodeo Colorado? What did she wear????

My sister. Back in 198? she was Miss Rodeo Colorado. Lessee, I made several Western suits, a closet full of shirts - including a black&white plaid that had me cussing and throwing things when I was laying it out, at least one pair of chaps, um, I think that's it.

Gotta admit she looked sharp at the National Finals Rodeo that year.

The red bulls there had horns and hooves, and knew how to use them. I think I'd rather have the drink. (to drag this back to some approximation of topic)

(I made her wedding dress, too. I'm a really soft touch that way)

spazzdog
04-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Did it have fringe on the sleeves and across the back :D

MomOnBike
04-19-2005, 07:16 AM
Which, the shirt or the wedding dress?

Nope, no fringe to be seen.

Actually Sis isn't a fringe type of gal. I don't even think the chaps had fringe. She still has them BTW, and last I looked, they looked like she still wears them.

Hmmm, fringe on a jersey (sleeves? back yoke?) would be fun on the right rides. That beer run in Texas, for instance. Too bad I can't go.

Aramei
04-19-2005, 08:15 AM
I usually drink Sobe Adrenaline Rush....anyone drink this?

DirtDiva
04-20-2005, 05:36 AM
...we do have something here called "V"...

V is fantastic. Kinda works like Red Bull, but actually tastes goooooood. It isn't available in North America, but those of you in the UK should be able to find a 250mL can for the small fourtune of about £1.50 (approximately NZ$4.00 :eek: ). Mmmmmm... V...

Aramei
04-20-2005, 08:21 AM
I Tried The New Stuff From V8...its In A White Can With Green Lettering I Think....awful Stuff In My Opinion. It Is Made With Mostly Fruit Juice, But I Still Didn't Like It.

fixedgeargirl
04-20-2005, 08:51 AM
Hmmm, fringe on a jersey (sleeves? back yoke?) would be fun on the right rides. That beer run in Texas, for instance. Too bad I can't go.

Pearl Izumi has some jerseys this season styled like yoked cowboy shirts! Could sew some fringe of one of those.

I'm gettin' ideas for the 90 mile beer run.....

MomOnBike
04-20-2005, 09:40 AM
Pearl Izumi has some jerseys this season styled like yoked cowboy shirts! Could sew some fringe of one of those.

OOooohh! Go for it! And post pics! Action shots with the fringe flying!

Mom(feeling like a little girl)OnBike

RoadRaven
04-20-2005, 11:37 AM
V is fantastic. Kinda works like Red Bull, but actually tastes goooooood. It isn't available in North America, but those of you in the UK should be able to find a 250mL can for the small fourtune of about £1.50 (approximately NZ$4.00 :eek: ). Mmmmmm... V...

Hey another Kiwi!
But a UK Kiwi?
LOL
You commute?

DirtDiva
04-21-2005, 12:51 PM
Yep. Doing the working holiday thing and got here a month and a bit ago. And as for commuting? I wish! But I don't have a bike or a job just now.